What is the best way to block incoming email from a specific domai

I am wanting to start blocking incoming email from specific domains, but am
not sure of the best way to do this.  I am running Exchange 2003 SP2.

Thanks,
--
Midwest Muskie
0

You can block mail from a smtp address/domain using Sender Filtering.
If it's coming from a particular IP address/range, you can also use
Connection Filtering/Global Deny list.
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

>I am wanting to start blocking incoming email from specific domains, but am
> not sure of the best way to do this.  I am running Exchange 2003 SP2.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Midwest Muskie

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)
2/3/2006 3:25:15 PM
Thanks again for your quick response to my questions.  I note that I also
need to configure filtering on the SMTP virtual server.  Which choice to I
make from the IP address drop down list?  The servers actual address or (All
Unassigned)?  What would the (All Unassigned) choice do?  I assume I would
use Recipient Filtering if I wanted to block our users from sending to
particular addresses or domains?

--
Midwest Muskie

"Bharat Suneja" wrote:

> You can block mail from a smtp address/domain using Sender Filtering.
> If it's coming from a particular IP address/range, you can also use
> Connection Filtering/Global Deny list.
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> www.zenprise.com
> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am wanting to start blocking incoming email from specific domains, but am
> > not sure of the best way to do this.  I am running Exchange 2003 SP2.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Midwest Muskie

0
Mike1154 (1216)
2/3/2006 3:41:02 PM
Recipient Filtering is not what you think. Search the Knowledge Base for
"recipient filtering" and "tarpit" to see what I mean.

Gregg Hill

> Thanks again for your quick response to my questions.  I note that I also
> need to configure filtering on the SMTP virtual server.  Which choice to I
> make from the IP address drop down list?  The servers actual address or
> (All
> Unassigned)?  What would the (All Unassigned) choice do?  I assume I would
> use Recipient Filtering if I wanted to block our users from sending to
> particular addresses or domains?
>
> --
> Midwest Muskie
>

> "Bharat Suneja" wrote:
>
>> You can block mail from a smtp address/domain using Sender Filtering.
>> If it's coming from a particular IP address/range, you can also use
>> Connection Filtering/Global Deny list.
>> --
>> Bharat Suneja
>> MCSE, MCT
>> www.zenprise.com
>> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>>

>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am wanting to start blocking incoming email from specific domains, but
>> >am
>> > not sure of the best way to do this.  I am running Exchange 2003 SP2.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > --
>> > Midwest Muskie

0
bogus9187 (191)
2/3/2006 4:33:26 PM
- Connection filtering is a global setting that will impact all your SMTP
virtual servers.
- All Unassigned - are you referring to the IP address drop-down in the
General tab of SMTP virtual server properties? That's the address(es) SMTP
protocol is bound to.
- Recipient Filtering is for inbound delivery - you can specify which
recipients should not get inbound internet mail, and also choose to drop all
mail for recipients not in your Active Directory (mail/mailbox-enabled
users, contacts, public folders and mail-enabled groups). It is *not* for
blocking your users from sending to a particular domain.

--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

> Thanks again for your quick response to my questions.  I note that I also
> need to configure filtering on the SMTP virtual server.  Which choice to I
> make from the IP address drop down list?  The servers actual address or
> (All
> Unassigned)?  What would the (All Unassigned) choice do?  I assume I would
> use Recipient Filtering if I wanted to block our users from sending to
> particular addresses or domains?
>
> --
> Midwest Muskie
>

> "Bharat Suneja" wrote:
>
>> You can block mail from a smtp address/domain using Sender Filtering.
>> If it's coming from a particular IP address/range, you can also use
>> Connection Filtering/Global Deny list.
>> --
>> Bharat Suneja
>> MCSE, MCT
>> www.zenprise.com
>> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>>

>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am wanting to start blocking incoming email from specific domains, but
>> >am
>> > not sure of the best way to do this.  I am running Exchange 2003 SP2.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > --
>> > Midwest Muskie

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)
2/3/2006 9:33:56 PM
Bharat,

I thought that Connection Filtering is set up under Message Delivery, then
applied to only those SMTP virtual servers you choose. It does not seem to
apply globally.

Gregg Hill

"Bharat Suneja" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message
>- Connection filtering is a global setting that will impact all your SMTP
>virtual servers.
> - All Unassigned - are you referring to the IP address drop-down in the
> General tab of SMTP virtual server properties? That's the address(es) SMTP
> protocol is bound to.
> - Recipient Filtering is for inbound delivery - you can specify which
> recipients should not get inbound internet mail, and also choose to drop
> all mail for recipients not in your Active Directory (mail/mailbox-enabled
> users, contacts, public folders and mail-enabled groups). It is *not* for
> blocking your users from sending to a particular domain.
>

> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> www.zenprise.com
> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks again for your quick response to my questions.  I note that I also
>> need to configure filtering on the SMTP virtual server.  Which choice to
>> make from the IP address drop down list?  The servers actual address or
>> (All
>> Unassigned)?  What would the (All Unassigned) choice do?  I assume I
>> would
>> use Recipient Filtering if I wanted to block our users from sending to
>> particular addresses or domains?
>>
>> --
>> Midwest Muskie
>>

>> "Bharat Suneja" wrote:
>>
>>> You can block mail from a smtp address/domain using Sender Filtering.
>>> If it's coming from a particular IP address/range, you can also use
>>> Connection Filtering/Global Deny list.
>>> --
>>> Bharat Suneja
>>> MCSE, MCT
>>> www.zenprise.com
>>> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>>>

>>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
bogus9187 (191)
2/4/2006 5:25:48 AM
Gregg,

Connecting Filtering parameters are defined globally. You can choose which
smtp virtual servers you want to enable Connection Filtering on.
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

"Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Bharat,
>
> I thought that Connection Filtering is set up under Message Delivery, then
> applied to only those SMTP virtual servers you choose. It does not seem to
> apply globally.
>
> Gregg Hill
>

> "Bharat Suneja" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message
>>- Connection filtering is a global setting that will impact all your SMTP
>>virtual servers.
>> - All Unassigned - are you referring to the IP address drop-down in the
>> General tab of SMTP virtual server properties? That's the address(es)
>> SMTP protocol is bound to.
>> - Recipient Filtering is for inbound delivery - you can specify which
>> recipients should not get inbound internet mail, and also choose to drop
>> all mail for recipients not in your Active Directory
>> (mail/mailbox-enabled users, contacts, public folders and mail-enabled
>> groups). It is *not* for blocking your users from sending to a particular
>> domain.
>>

>> --
>> Bharat Suneja
>> MCSE, MCT
>> www.zenprise.com
>> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>>

>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks again for your quick response to my questions.  I note that I
>>> also
>>> need to configure filtering on the SMTP virtual server.  Which choice to
>>> make from the IP address drop down list?  The servers actual address or
>>> (All
>>> Unassigned)?  What would the (All Unassigned) choice do?  I assume I
>>> would
>>> use Recipient Filtering if I wanted to block our users from sending to
>>> particular addresses or domains?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Midwest Muskie

0
bharat3597 (1006)
2/4/2006 9:24:29 AM
Bharat,

That is what I thought, but your wording of "Connection filtering is a
global setting that will impact all your SMTP virtual servers" made it sound
as though you meant that it applied to all the SMTP virtual servers
automatically.

Cool!

Gregg Hill

"Bharat Suneja" <bharat@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Gregg,
>
> Connecting Filtering parameters are defined globally. You can choose which
> smtp virtual servers you want to enable Connection Filtering on.
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> www.zenprise.com
> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
> -----------------------------------
>

> "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Bharat,
>>
>> I thought that Connection Filtering is set up under Message Delivery,
>> then applied to only those SMTP virtual servers you choose. It does not
>> seem to apply globally.
>>
>> Gregg Hill
>>

>> "Bharat Suneja" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message
>>>- Connection filtering is a global setting that will impact all your SMTP
>>>virtual servers.
>>> - All Unassigned - are you referring to the IP address drop-down in the
>>> General tab of SMTP virtual server properties? That's the address(es)
>>> SMTP protocol is bound to.
>>> - Recipient Filtering is for inbound delivery - you can specify which
>>> recipients should not get inbound internet mail, and also choose to drop
>>> all mail for recipients not in your Active Directory
>>> (mail/mailbox-enabled users, contacts, public folders and mail-enabled
>>> groups). It is *not* for blocking your users from sending to a
>>> particular domain.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Bharat Suneja
>>> MCSE, MCT
>>> www.zenprise.com
>>> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>>>

>>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
bogus9187 (191)

email letters from Great Plains Vendor/Customer/Employee Files
We would like to see the option of when printing a Letter created in the Great Plains Letter Writer system, when "sending" the email, the system be programmed to pick up the email address ont he default Primary Address field, inputting it into the emaila ddress field in Outlook. Rob Gillespie, CAE Premier Computing Technologies What default email address? The "email address" field you see in the Inet Info window is just a user defined label. Technically the only email address that I can think of in great plains that IS an email address is the email addresses for the...

Email within CRM 10-20-05
Hi All, As I understand it, Exchange server is a must if you need to create, send, reply, forward emails within the CRM. Has anyone found any alternatives. I just want to do the above mention but we don't have exchange server. Thanks. Kim. I believe Salentica has a solution where you can use an SMTP server for outgoing email. Note that the incomming email and tracking part won't work any longer, the CRM Router and Exchange is needed for that. Regards, Rob Bakkers, Avanade Netherlands "Kim" wrote: > Hi All, > > As I understand it, Exchange server is ...

Windows Installer runs each time I download an email
I am running WinXP Pro SP1 with MSOffice 2002. I recently upgraded to Outlook 2003, now when I download a new e-mail Windows Installer runs! If I leave it alone it usually finishes and allows me to read the mail, but it runs again if I have to open an attachment. Can someone please tell me what the heck is going on here and how I can fix it? Thanks! Hi Aejen, I too have the same problem, but so far no one has come forward with a solution. I am running Win XP Home Edition with upgraded Office 2003. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Still the same problem. Its not a major probl...

Can EXCEL list amounts that, when added, total to a specific value? How?
My task is to generate a list of all "6 value combinations" that total a collection of specific sums. Simple Example: All "2 value combinations" that, when added, =13 List: D701:D709, filled with 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 Solutions: 4&9, 5&8, 6&7 ( 9&4, 8&5, 7&6 would be considered duplicates for my task but I can deal with this manually if they can't be "programmed out" ). This would take care of one specific sum. Summary: If I have 10 specific sums for which to perform this, and must ...

email-address instead of displayname
Hallo, Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003 or Outlook XP. Is it possible in Outlook to display the email-address instead of the displayname? Can I have perhaps both, email-address and displayname? Is there a server- or clientsided setting? If there is a serversided setting, can I change it for a single user? Thanks Peter Baur Display them where? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Peter Baur" <peter.baur@informatik.fh-nuernberg.de> wrote in message news:ed02eJ4JEHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hallo, > > Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003 or Outlook XP. > > Is it po...

emails with Attachments are not Archived
My .pst file keeps getting bigger, despite all folders being set up to auto-archive. Looking at the email folders, there are lots of emails still there that should have been archived. Most of those that are still there have attachments, and looking in the archive .pst file I see that there are very few emails with attachments in it. It seems as though the archiving process usually (but not always) fails to archive any emails that have attachments. Is there an option somewhere to prevent archiving of emails with attachments? Or is the failure to archive emails with attachments a feature of...

How do I cancel an outgoing email
I tried to send an email with 2 photos attached last Friday around 10: AM. It is still in my outbox today (Monday). I can't delete it and keep getting a message that says that it's because it has already started sending. It's been more than 3 days! I've shut down my email, shut down my computer and even restored to the day before. It is still there sending. As a result, all other outgoing messages are waiting too. http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/messagestuckinoutbox.htm should be helpful. "Connie" <Connie@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Outlook 2000 DELETES !!! incoming email when reply
At some point recently, when I use "reply" to send message back to someone I know, once message is sent, the original message is nowhere to find, it is permanently deleted. What is going on? HELP The reply I already received (but it didn't help): ========================= Go to the Tool menu and then to the Rules wizard and see if you do not have and rule for that. you can allsow go to Tolls option and look there as well ========================== My reply to the above: ========================= ..... No such a rule (and I didn't set one). In tools-options there was som...

Calculating shift patterns (Sorry can't be more specific)
I really hope that someone can help me. I'm at the end of my wits tryin to work this one out. I have a time sheet M T W T F S S (ETC for 3 months) PERSON A E E L M E O O PERSON B O O L M M E E E Shifts M Shifts L shifts O (Off) I want a formula that could help calculate how many people are on certain shift on each day. So, E shifts for M = 3, for instance, so that each time I add a shif it automatically calculates the number at the bottom. Also and I know this is cheeky...but does anyone know how I can tall how many L shifts someone does in month etc. To keep an automa...

Promoting emails from Sent Items
Hi can somebody please help me. can you promote emails from your sent items folder into CRM? Is there a workaround to this because I get an error saying and error occured while tring to promote email Can'd be done in the current version. Will be able to do this in CRM 3.0 in a few months. -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Kuvenp" wrote: > Hi can somebody please help me. > can you promote emails from your sent items folder into CRM? Is there a > workaround to this because I get an error saying and error occured while > tring to promote email ...

Printing emails sent from word
Hello, we have this issue when we save a word document, then send it via word (be it mail murge to an email address, or using the built in email options) when the receipent prints the email from outlook, at the very top the first line that was saved in the email gets placed in a header and printed at the top of the page above the actual email "from/sent/to/subject" area of the print out. We would like to know if there was a way to disable this from happening. Thanks. ...

Sending Outlook email by category
This is really frustrating and I'd appreciate anyhelp with this at all. I want to send emails out of my contact list by a category which I have assigned to certain people. I have tried creating a distribution list but there is no option to select members by category. I have thousands of names in the Contacts and to go thru each one to select the particular list seems absurd. Is there any way to do this? Sort your Contacts Folder by Category. Select a Category Header Actions > New Message to Contact. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Andy Z" <anonymous@discussions.mi...

Find certain "Text" in a specific coloum, add corres. values
Hi, I have two coloums. One has text and the other has Values. I need excel to search through a whole coloum, and summerize the results. My coloums look like as follows A 2 B 5 A 2 The results should look like A 4 B 2 How can I achieve this? Thanks Try =SUMIF(C1:C3,"A",D1:D3) This is quite expandable using sumproduct for a criteria in B and matching in C and then sum C. HTH Regards, Howard "Arum Khan" <Arum Khan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5EBFC7F-A263-424E-83A4-80B3DB14E603@microsoft.com... > Hi...

Outlook 2000 -can not send out email
I can receive emails into my Outlook but I can not send out emails...it always gets returned. I am wondering what the outgoing mail (SMTP) setting should be; currently it is 25 while the incoming is 110. Also, under the servers portion it reads the same for me....pop3 is mail.(server name).com and this is the same for the SMTP mail.(server name).com ? What should I do? Check with your ISP to see if you need to authenticate to the outgoing mail server....a lot of companies require that to prevent spam. The port settings you mention are normal, unless the ISP requires something else. S...

Excel 97 generating email automatically starts Lotus 6. DefaultOK
Hi, An Excel 97 macro generates an email succesfully, with Outlook 2000. Since installing Lotus Notes V6.02 - a minimum requirement - LN kicks off, producing error messages and ultimately fails to send a message. This occurs whether this is an upgrade of Notes or a new install and both with and without a live Notes Account. System default email is Outlook, in IE and in the registry X Still no idea how to compat these two programs and I would greatly appreciate any productive advice, but an alternative... Upgrade to Excel 2000 and use Notes V6.5 - worked fine with me - possibly even 6.02,...

Email addresses
Once I have typed in an email address Outlook automatically remembers it. This is great until some changes their email address and now I have email addresses that I cannot use. I wish to delete them to avoid sending to the wrong email address ... if ya know what I mean!! When you start to type the address and the wrong address appears on the list, use your arrow keys to highlight that wrong address, then press [DELETE]. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr/Computers/OneNoteFAQ.htm **I a...

Counting Emails
Is there a way to have Outlook 2002 count emails by hour as they come in? We receive several hundred emails/day and they are auto-forwarded to different folders depending on subject. I would like to be able to know how many emails arrive per hour in each folder but have been unable to figure out if it's possible. Not possible as far as I know... Dale "Amy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07db01c3a93d$85a0e840$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to have Outlook 2002 count emails by hour > as they come in? We receive several hundred ...

blocking spam on exchange server 5.5
Is there a program from microsoft or a outside vendor that stops spam emailas soon as it hits the exchange 5.5 server? http://www.clearswift.com -- regards, Michael Abbaticchio MVP for Microsoft Exchange Server http://mvps.org/exchange "nigelcourtney" <nigelcourtney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4BA3D9C6-ABC5-4788-B9F7-10321DDF4D02@microsoft.com... > Is there a program from microsoft or a outside vendor that stops spam emailas > soon as it hits the exchange 5.5 server? www.commtouch.com/downloads -- Sincerely, D�j� Ak�m�l�f�, MCSE MCSA MC...

Can't Open Links in Email
In Outlook 2003, I can't click on any links in my email messages. I just get an error message saying, "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." This is my home computer, I am it's system administrator. Does anyone know how to fix this? <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<21af01c3bec6$5690ad30$7d02280a@phx.gbl>... > In Outlook 2003, I can't click on any links in my email > messages. I just get an error message saying, "This > op...

Incoming Phonecall to activate relevant Contact
Hi, I have Outlook 2002. I want to automatically activate a callers Contact in outlook (provided the number already exists in Outlook) so that before I pick up the phone, his/her details are already visible on screen . I have BT caller display activated and a standard analogue line (with broadband). Is there any sotware that allows this to happen? many thanks Nigel See http://www.slipstick.com/addins/telephony.htm=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - J...

Email keeps being delayed in delivery
Hi, I have an email that keeps coming back with a delayed message and not to resend it. Does this mean that there is a problem at the other end trying to receive it? Or is it a problem with our Exchange? should mean a problem with the receiving server. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mail...

Opening a Specific Excel Sheet from Access
Well as the name states I'm tyring to open a specific excel sheet from access 2000 for editing another poster helped me get this far Option Compare Database Option Explicit Public Const QUOTE = """" Public Sub testExcel() Dim sDocName As String Dim sPathName As String Dim ExcelApp As Excel.Application Dim ExcelWorkbook As Excel.Workbook 'Fire up excel Set ExcelApp = New Excel.Application ExcelApp.Visible = True Set ExcelWorkbook = ExcelApp.Workbooks.Open(sDocName) sPathName = "C:\Hartman\BrokerLicenses" sDocName = QUOTE & sPat...

Cannot import send/receive dates for emails stored in Access (.mdb) file
I have some mdb (Access format) database files with thousands of emails extracted from couple of Yahoo groups forums. I'd like to import these into my Outlook 2003 PST so that I can search and read them offline. The mdb files contain all the fields necessary for a proper email import, including from_name from_email subject receive_date receive_time message (HTML format) When I use the Outlook "Import and Export Wizard", selecting Access file type, etc., all appears fine. However, after the import completes, in Outlook there is no date information populated under either sent ...

Can't send email to one domain
When I send email to any mailbox at a particular domain I get this message: The recipient name is not recognized The MTS-ID of the original message is... Yet I can send to them using Hotmail. Why would Exchange 5.5 not let me send email to a particular domain? maybe your mx record is block by remote domain -- Jammyù�ٴ� "Andy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> ���g��l��s�D :1a5501c4c778$2f428cb0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > When I send email to any mailbox at a particular domain I > get this message: > > The recipient name is not recognized > The ...

Resolving email address to Display Name
Hi All, I have an issue regarding resolving email addresses to diplay names on mailboxes that have recently been migrated to Exchange 2003 from Exchange 5.5. We have a process in place that automates email sending, and its hard coded to use the from email address as, for example steve@me.com. The mailbox I'm sending from has send on behalf permissions and send as permissions for the steve@me.com account. However this process was failing, after some investigation I found that if I typed the email address in the from field of Outlook 2003 it wouldn't resolve this to the diplay name, ...