What is a good anti virus for email which has low server hard disk overheads?

We have been using Trend Scanmail for about a year. Despite the fact
that it was recommended to us, I have found it to be unsatisfactory.
Firstly, it seems to hammer the disks - never a plus on Exchange where
the hard disks are already over taxed; and secondly the (outsourced)
support -which we have to pay a substantial addtional cost for- is
frankly pathetic. It is up for renewal and I would like to replace it
if there is something more appropriate.
We already have a pretty tight system - email is scanned by Message
Labs before it even reaches us, and then goes through Mailsweeper in
our DMZ, therefore the email anti-virus can be good but basic rather
than all singing/ all dancing. I looked up previous postings on this,
and much to my consternation it seems Scanmail is one of the most
highly regarded. I was looking to Sophos which is similar in price to
acquire the licenses, but has support for free but have not seen that
much about it.

I know that Antigen \Forefront and also GFI MailSecurity for Exchange/
SMTP are multi engine products which is best for security, but
considering our network already has Message Labs \ Mailsweeper servers
I think this is overkill and will undoubtedly hammer the disks even
more than Scanmail.

What is a good anti virus for Exchange product which does not kill
disks, is reliable, easy to setup and maintain? The most important
factor is a contained hit on the disks as our server is already a
little sluggish.

Many thanks,

KC

0
test2005 (72)

Apart from the cost of support, which for small oranisations I can completed
agree with, I would actually be looking at your disk IO..

If AV is hammering your disks then your storage is not upto scratch.

You may want to be looking at changing to a cheaper AV solution _and_
analysing your disk subsystem.

What's your current storage design like? Is it local or SAN/NAS based? Was
it specc'd out or just 'put in'.

Oliver

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
2/19/2007 1:00:05 PM
On Feb 19, 1:00 pm, "Oliver Moazzezi" <o.moazzez...@SPAMfreenet.co.uk>
wrote:
> Apart from the cost of support, which for small oranisations I can completed
> agree with, I would actually be looking at your disk IO..
>
> If AV is hammering your disks then your storage is not upto scratch.
>
> You may want to be looking at changing to a cheaper AV solution _and_
> analysing your disk subsystem.
>
> What's your current storage design like? Is it local or SAN/NAS based? Was
> it specc'd out or just 'put in'.
>
> Oliver

It's a SAN. It was installed by one of my colleagues with the help of
a consultant, so I assume it is set up correctly. The drivers are all
up to date too. To clarify a little bit, I think my earlier post was a
bit misleading. It is Exchange that hammers the disks (which is not
unusual), but obviously any additional loads need to be minimised, so
I would like an email AV with a low overhead. Thanks.

0
test2005 (72)
2/19/2007 3:42:49 PM
Two of the companies I work for run McAfee GroupShield on their Exchange
Servers.  2000+ mailboxes per server, never had any problems - never used
tech support so no idea what its like.  Easy to manage.

"KingCronos" wrote:

> We have been using Trend Scanmail for about a year. Despite the fact
> that it was recommended to us, I have found it to be unsatisfactory.
> Firstly, it seems to hammer the disks - never a plus on Exchange where
> the hard disks are already over taxed; and secondly the (outsourced)
> support -which we have to pay a substantial addtional cost for- is
> frankly pathetic. It is up for renewal and I would like to replace it
> if there is something more appropriate.
> We already have a pretty tight system - email is scanned by Message
> Labs before it even reaches us, and then goes through Mailsweeper in
> our DMZ, therefore the email anti-virus can be good but basic rather
> than all singing/ all dancing. I looked up previous postings on this,
> and much to my consternation it seems Scanmail is one of the most
> highly regarded. I was looking to Sophos which is similar in price to
> acquire the licenses, but has support for free but have not seen that
> much about it.
>
> I know that Antigen \Forefront and also GFI MailSecurity for Exchange/
> SMTP are multi engine products which is best for security, but
> considering our network already has Message Labs \ Mailsweeper servers
> I think this is overkill and will undoubtedly hammer the disks even
> more than Scanmail.
>
> What is a good anti virus for Exchange product which does not kill
> disks, is reliable, easy to setup and maintain? The most important
> factor is a contained hit on the disks as our server is already a
> little sluggish.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> KC

We don't use their e-mail/Exchange filter, but I can tell you that their
tech support is very good. I've used them several times, mostly in
setting up, but they are very responsive.

As Oliver M said, you need to determine why there is so much drive
access... Do you have "real-time" (Symantec) or "on-access" (Sophos)
turned on? I've found that it is generally a *bad* thing w.r.t
performance. You should only have it turned on for servers/folders where
users have direct access to save/create/store files. It sure should be
turned off for any locations where the datastores or log files are stored...

Regards,
Hank Arnold

KingCronos wrote:
> We have been using Trend Scanmail for about a year. Despite the fact
> that it was recommended to us, I have found it to be unsatisfactory.
> Firstly, it seems to hammer the disks - never a plus on Exchange where
> the hard disks are already over taxed; and secondly the (outsourced)
> support -which we have to pay a substantial addtional cost for- is
> frankly pathetic. It is up for renewal and I would like to replace it
> if there is something more appropriate.
> We already have a pretty tight system - email is scanned by Message
> Labs before it even reaches us, and then goes through Mailsweeper in
> our DMZ, therefore the email anti-virus can be good but basic rather
> than all singing/ all dancing. I looked up previous postings on this,
> and much to my consternation it seems Scanmail is one of the most
> highly regarded. I was looking to Sophos which is similar in price to
> acquire the licenses, but has support for free but have not seen that
> much about it.
>
> I know that Antigen \Forefront and also GFI MailSecurity for Exchange/
> SMTP are multi engine products which is best for security, but
> considering our network already has Message Labs \ Mailsweeper servers
> I think this is overkill and will undoubtedly hammer the disks even
> more than Scanmail.
>
> What is a good anti virus for Exchange product which does not kill
> disks, is reliable, easy to setup and maintain? The most important
> factor is a contained hit on the disks as our server is already a
> little sluggish.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> KC

0
rasilon1 (689)

Sending a Publisher 2003 Newsletter in an email.
I'd like to send a newsletter I created using publisher in an email. I've tried a few different ways to do it but I'm not satisfied. I've tried to save it as a picture and insert it into Word and then put it in my email but it looses quality. I've tried to save it as a web publication but it won't keep the pictures I have in my newsletter. Any help or suggestions would be great. K.V.O. wrote: > I'd like to send a newsletter I created using publisher in an email. > I've tried a few different ways to do it but I'm not satisfied. I've > ...

Is there a way I can only print the reply instead of the entire email message
I wonder if there is a way I can only print the reply to an email message, instead of printing the entire message? My choice for selection only seem to be gone with Outlook 2003 printing options. Any help is appreciated.............Peter ...

sites and services servers
Hi I recently went into our AD site and services and noticed under servers there are about 4 servers that havent been online for months. Is it safe to just remove/delete them here? Also our licensing server is listing a dead server? Wondering why it never showed anything in event log. This is a 2003 sp2 server in a small domain with 2 other DCs Thanks Shem You need to perform a metadata cleanup. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736378(WS.10).aspx You can follow this article to change the licensing sever http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc...

email or phonecall in a calander?
Hi, I am new to CRM and wonder if email or phone call activity is updated into the calander as well as appointment. Thank you, Sunny The only way to do this is to use one of our ADD-Ons. The GroupCalendar for MSCRM 1.2 is an Add-On that allows you to see all activities in the GroupCalendar. Also you can look into the Calendar of other users if you have the security privileges. If you want to see all further functionallity go to www.mscrm-addons.com and download a trial version. -- -- Christian support@mscrm-addons.com www.mscrm-addons.com Your company for MS-CRM ADD-ONS! GroupCa...

Problem With Front End Server Exchange 2003
i m running exchange 2003 Stan on server 2003. i got Error message on my screen There is no RPC-HTTP Front-end in your exchange Organization. There Must be at Lease on RPC-HTTP Front-end Server in the organization before the RPC-HTTp back and serve. so how can i configuration RPCHTTP Front End www.microsoft.com/exchange On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:11:04 -0800, dua <dua@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i m running exchange 2003 Stan on server 2003. >i got Error message on my screen >There is no RPC-HTTP Front-end in your exchange Organization. There Must be >at Lease on R...

Collation on moving GP to new server
We have GP9 running on SQL 2000. We will be moving it to a new server with SQL 2005. (and then upgrade to GP 10). The instructions in KB878449 say that the new SQL server sortorder must be the same as the old server. The old server is Latin-General, binary sort. We wanted to make the new server Latin-...CI... Is there any way to do this? Due to the way DynamicsGP makes use of the tempdb, the Server default collation MUST be the same at the DYNAMICS and Company database, otherwise the tempdb will not have the same collation and you WILL get errors. Therefore, the SQL2005 instance must b...

Not sending emails to groups
Hi, I am having a problem with my new laptop. I have several groups with several diff. emails for different people in diff. cities around the world. Whenever I want to send a email message to -- let's say -- people in NYC, if it is under a certain number of people the message is sent ok, but if it is let's say 40 people, it will be hanging in my outbox and it's NOT sent. I think Microsoft might have added some type of security feature that would unable viruses to send the same email message to my whole list. I might be wrong, but that's the only conclusion I could come u...

Old servers showing up in "Create an exchange mailbox" wizard.
Greetings, I have a customer who removed some Exchange 5.5 servers in an usual fashion, and as such I removed them from the ORG by using ADSIEDIT to delete them. The problem is these mailbox servers are still showing up as target options in the create a new mailbox selection wizard. How can I clear these dead and gone servers from this list? The SRS databases and ADC are long gone, and the enviornment is native mode 2003. Also I thought at one point making a server a front-end server made it not show up in this list. I see all their front-end servers in this list, so I am guess my recollectio...

outlook email #16
I have been using hotmail as my default email at home and using others for work. I would lide to receive all my emails at Outlood to reduce time wasted looking for the emails. darius On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 23:17:52 -0800, darius <darius@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have been using hotmail as my default email at home and using others for >work. I would lide to receive all my emails at Outlood to reduce time wasted >looking for the emails. > Get a paid Hotmail account and Outlook can be used to access the account. -- Rich Cervenka Chicago, Illinois, USA ...

Email addresses in a comma-delimited (CSV) file
I am trying to create a csv from another application to be imported into Excel. One of the columns will contain email addresses. Is there a way that I can format the data in the column to have the addresses be 'links' when brought into Excel. First, hyperlinks are not just formatting. The Insert|hyperlink style of hyperlinks are objects in excel. Second, CSV files are plain old text. They don't hold these kinds of objects. (And they also don't contain any formatting properties, either.) But third, you may be able to cheat a bit. Can you go back to the othe...

Exch 5.5 SP4
Hi One of my user sent an email to the client yesterday, Since then this user has been receiving return receipt every two minutes. Client has been also receiving the email in every 3 minutes. I have rebooted my server, Recreated the email address. Rest the IMS queue. Following is the email which my user are receving. Can any one please help. Thanks in advance -----Original Message----- From: Mail Delivery Subsystem [mailto:MAILER-DAEMON@nl.sbc.com] Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2007 11:01 AM To: Valerie@.com Subject: Return receipt The original message was received at Sat, 3 Feb 2007 ...

Outlook replication changes valid email to lastname firstname
CRM 4.0, Outlook 2007, CRM Outlook Online Client with latest Rollup. When some users are sync contact information between Outlook and CRM, sync changes email address firstname.lastname@company.com in CRM to format lastname firstname. Not happen to all users. One reason can be there are also mobile sync between Outlook (Exchange) and mobile phone. But this is also used by many users and only some have problems. It is look like email is populated with Outlook display value, not the real email. Any ideas what setting (and where) is not right? Jukka Majander ...

Leave copies on server with Exchange 2003
Hi all, I have a user who normally connects to an exchange server in the office, but he likes to connect to his mail box via pop3 on his phone/pda when out and about. The trouble is that the pda downloads his entire mailbox every time and removes them from his inbox on the server, even when 'Leave a copy on the server' is checked. I've tested this in the office using Outlook Express to confirm that this is happening. How can I have the server leave a copy of everything in the exchange mialbox, while sending new items to the device which requests them? Many thanks, Garet...

Exchange 2003 / Outlook XP How to lock down email format / colour and disable signatures
My boss wants a uniform email look for everyone throughout the organisation, as users are using bizarre colours for email backgrounds, unusual fonts, and their own personal signatures. To create a standard signature for users using information from AD, I believe there are 2 ways: either create an event sink using a VB script (I dont know how to do do this, so I won't be trying); or use a third party application like Exclaimer (BTW is there a good alternative to this - I have a quote for this but it is pretty damn expensive for what it does). To prevent users from using their own signatur...

Server Error: 0x80191002
Hi. What does this error message mean? Server Error: 0x80191002 Server: 'http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v2.0.0/Sync.aspx' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x80191002 I'm on XPsp3 and using Live Mail Desktop 14.0.8089.0726. I haven't been able to synch my account from the desktop client since yesterday morning. The web interface is working fine, but that's not very convenient for me. Graeme Several sites suggest deleting the account and recreate it as an attempt to correct this issue. However, there are also many which state you must contact...

External smtp email to public folder shown as post, not shown as email
Hi there, Exch2003 FE & BE servers, both running on w2k3 server, BE server also a DC & GC server. Now config public folder at BE, mail enabled it. For internal users, if sent email to public folder, it shown up as email. For external parties, if sent email to public folder, it shown up as post. Wondering how to tweak public folder so that external emails will shown as email instead of post? Many thanks! Try looking at the following KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817809 Martin Moustgaard "Zac" <zacfang@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:Og20iL...

Problem after e-mail server re-start
Hi, I have the prblem for OWA users to access the Exchange server every times re-started the server, and Outlook users using IMAP connection also experience delays or hangs. The following is found in the event log Source: W3SVC Event ID: 101 The server was unable to add the virtual root '/Exchange' for the directory 'M:\speedsourcing.com\MBX' due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified. The data is the error code. From the Internet Services Manager, paths for Exchange, ExchWeb & Exadmin are all unavailable. The first two can be manually r...

I want to open archived email attachments
I don't want to save to disk first. There is no danger from viruses as these are emails I know the source for. Please help. "Scott" <bobbb.bbbbb@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1185979486.758557.219240@z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com... >I don't want to save to disk first. There is no danger from viruses > as these are emails I know the source for. > Please help. > > And that attitude is EXACTLY how viruses get spread. How do you know 110% that the scource is NOT infected? "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message n...

Am I able to manage multiple email accounts
I have several email accounts including Gmail, HOtmail and corporate. I can't make Entourage mail (2004) list individual accounts or find how to manage profiles. Apple mail works but doesn't allow me to insert a tiff company logo without making it an attachment. Outlook allows for all of the above.<br> Appreciate help > This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3285235088_9822952 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit On 2/7/08 1...

Server Crash and Recovery
Hello! I have 1 2003 server that was running AD and Exchange on it. I have back ups of System State and Exchange Databases. Now the server crashed. I have another server(slightly different hardware) and I want to restore everything from back ups, but i can't find the proper procedures to do so. Can some one help or point me to proper white papers. Thank You go here...tells you everything you need to know: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/disrecopg de.mspx -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Kory" <koryg@community.nospam> wrote in message ne...

i have problem with password to email server
i just got on the sight. How do i go about finding out the password to outlook express to the email server. I have to set up a internal email system. and everytime i get to log on outlook express it pops up with a window to enter a user and password. but i dont know it. How do i get my password back. can i get in touch with isp and get it. ...

DHCP server behavior
Hi, In Windows server 2003, assume a connection session is in place and the remote host's IP is assigned by a DCHP server. What would happen if the DHCP server wants to assign a new IP to the remote host? Will the connection end? or, Will the server wait till the connection is gracefully ended by the user and then assign a new IP to the remote host? Thanks Yba Hello Yba, The DHCP server never assigns a new address from itself. The client makes the request for a new lease after the half lease time. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provid...

I'm sending 2 (duplicate) emails each time I send emai
I'm using Office 2007, Outlook and, each time I send an email.. the receiver gets two copies.... any thoughts? Do you have a virus scanner installed which integrates itself with Outlook? Uninstall this integration part of your virus scanner and try again; you'd still be sufficiently protected by your on-access scanner part of the virus scanner. For more details see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/20 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http:/...

Rename a Virtual Dyamics GP server.
I have discovered another advantage to running Dynamics GP on a Virtual machine. We have had this deployed for a client since 2004 and they have about 5 seats of Dynamics GP. But the firm sells product off their web site and it interacts with Dynamics GP in the data center. We needed to do a test environment, but the CTO wanted the exact "State" of the Dynamics GP server to be used in the test. Rather than do a GP migration to another server I tried a different approach. I shut down the VM off hours and made a copy. Then I set the Virtual Nick to Host only. This would pre...

Configure single Outlook 2003 Account to try multiple outgoing servers?
Is there a way to configure a single Outlook 2003 account to try different SMTP servers for Outgoing mail? I log in from two different locations, and both are behind firewalls. And from each location I can't get to the other SMTP server to send my mail. To get around this, I've created two Outlook accounts to use. One for each location. But this is not a good solution, because I have to remember to use the correct account, and it's easy to make a mistake. ....When I do, the outgoing mail very quietly sits in my Outbox, and doesn't get sent. People get very upset at me for ...