What are the correct steps to configure RPC over HTTP for a single server, SBS 2003, environment?

I have a SBS 2003 single server domain and am attempting to configure
RPC over HTTP, however, the options within the Exchange environment
don't appear to make sense:
1) Front-end server -- by the provided description this is not the
proper selection (there is no back-end server; there is no other
server period), [additionally, this option is greyed out]
2) Back-end server -- by the same "logic" for why this cannot be a
Front-end server, this selection doesn't seem to be the right choice
either -- there is no other server taking on the Front-end server
role.
3) This option is currently selected, but also seems incorrect: Not
part of an Exchange Managed RPC-HTTP topology - this server is neither
a front-end or back-end server.

Option 3 seems the obvious choice, but after creating the other steps
(that I'm aware of) to prepare the server for RPC-HTTP communications
I cannot use Outlook to gain access to the Exchange server over HTTP.

I don't appear to get an error, just no connection; however HTTP
access is available as OWA connections are working fine.

Thanks,
----
Rick Newton.
newtonr@worldchat.com or rnewton@herpersgowling.com
0
rnewton (25)

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Installing-and-Configuring-SBS2003.html

"Rick Newton" <rnewton@herpersgowling.com> wrote in message
>I have a SBS 2003 single server domain and am attempting to configure
> RPC over HTTP, however, the options within the Exchange environment
> don't appear to make sense:
> 1) Front-end server -- by the provided description this is not the
> proper selection (there is no back-end server; there is no other
> server period), [additionally, this option is greyed out]
> 2) Back-end server -- by the same "logic" for why this cannot be a
> Front-end server, this selection doesn't seem to be the right choice
> either -- there is no other server taking on the Front-end server
> role.
> 3) This option is currently selected, but also seems incorrect: Not
> part of an Exchange Managed RPC-HTTP topology - this server is neither
> a front-end or back-end server.
>
> Option 3 seems the obvious choice, but after creating the other steps
> (that I'm aware of) to prepare the server for RPC-HTTP communications
> I cannot use Outlook to gain access to the Exchange server over HTTP.
>
> I don't appear to get an error, just no connection; however HTTP
> access is available as OWA connections are working fine.
>
> Thanks,
> ----
> Rick Newton.
> newtonr@worldchat.com or rnewton@herpersgowling.com

0
tfelts1 (344)
4/4/2005 4:16:06 PM
On the client side, I found the ONLY directions for setting up Outlook
that would work, were the instructions SBS itself provides. Go to:
https://yourservername.com/remote and log in there. There should be a
link on how to configure "Outlook via the Internet." Following these
directions exactly got RPC over HTTP working (assuming the server
settings are correct).

Oh, and don't forget the certificate from your server has to be
installed on the client machines.

Rick Newton wrote:
> I have a SBS 2003 single server domain and am attempting to configure
> RPC over HTTP, however, the options within the Exchange environment
> don't appear to make sense:
> 1) Front-end server -- by the provided description this is not the
> proper selection (there is no back-end server; there is no other
> server period), [additionally, this option is greyed out]
> 2) Back-end server -- by the same "logic" for why this cannot be a
> Front-end server, this selection doesn't seem to be the right choice
> either -- there is no other server taking on the Front-end server
> role.
> 3) This option is currently selected, but also seems incorrect: Not
> part of an Exchange Managed RPC-HTTP topology - this server is neither
> a front-end or back-end server.
>
> Option 3 seems the obvious choice, but after creating the other steps
> (that I'm aware of) to prepare the server for RPC-HTTP communications
> I cannot use Outlook to gain access to the Exchange server over HTTP.
>
> I don't appear to get an error, just no connection; however HTTP
> access is available as OWA connections are working fine.
>
> Thanks,
> ----
> Rick Newton.
> newtonr@worldchat.com or rnewton@herpersgowling.com