What are all these extra mailboxes for?

If I go into first Administrative Groups, Servers, MyServer, MFirst Storage
Group, Mailbox Storem, Mailboxes, I see the mailboxes I defined, but in
addition, I see three additional mailboxes:

SMTP(MyDomain-{9D8977......}) -- this has a size of zero with zero total
items
System Attendant  -- this has a size of zero with zero total items
System Mailbox -- this has a size of 361KB with 401 Items

Can anyone help by providing an explanation?

--thx, Joseph

0
josephmo (15)

Those are system mailboxes that provide a number of functions to
Exchange. Best to just leave them alone. :)

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 00:35:06 GMT, "Joseph Mouhanna"
<josephmo@hotmail.com> wrote:

>If I go into first Administrative Groups, Servers, MyServer, MFirst Storage
>Group, Mailbox Storem, Mailboxes, I see the mailboxes I defined, but in
>addition, I see three additional mailboxes:
>
>SMTP(MyDomain-{9D8977......}) -- this has a size of zero with zero total
>items
>System Attendant  -- this has a size of zero with zero total items
>System Mailbox -- this has a size of 361KB with 401 Items
>
>Can anyone help by providing an explanation?
>
>--thx, Joseph

0
adavid (8731)

Mailbox Report
When moving a mailbox the GUI reports information such as "Moving Inbox (1/200)". Is there a utility/script available which can report on the number of items held in the sub-folder of any/all mailboxes? ...

Moving Mailbox to new Storage Groups
I am planning on spreading out my users to all four available storage groups on Exchange 2003 SP1 (Enterprise) to make a restore that much faster (one storage group at a time, instead of all users in one storage group). I don't want to change the information stores and their locations on the F: (stores) drive, but is there a way that I can re-point an information store in one storage group to another (make a new mailbox store reference and point to the *.edb and *.stm..or do I have to mailbox move all of the users into the new stores? Any help is appreciated! :) It'd be great t...

Exchange 2003 Mailbox move question
Hello, I am moving from one Exchange 2003 server to another Exchange 2003 server and a few mailboxes are taking a couple hours for the Outlook client to update to the new server. I know AD can play a role with replication but that's not the issue here. Can some let me know why it takes so long sometimes for the Outlook client to get redirected to the new Exchange server? There was detailed information on this with Exchange 5.5 (Directory cache). thanks, Larry ...

Mailbox forward
I need to setup an email address, however it needs to be forwarded to an external mail address. I tried creating a new user but with no exchange mailbox and then going to exchange tasks on the user and creating an SMTP address, this works fine if we send from an internal exchange mailbox, it forwards correctly, but if someone external sends to the newly created user the email bounces back. any ideas how to get this to work. I just want mail to come to an email address on our server and be forwarded straight back out to an external address. configure the mailbox then set the forwarding...

recreating a user mailbox
Some users are seeing intermitent errors in their Outlook 2000 clients. We are using Exchange server 5.5. I tried creating a new outlook profile and installing Office 2000 sr1 and sp3 but they still get the errors. I saw some mention on the web about recreating their mailbox on the exchange server. How do I do this and restore all their mail and folders? They are getting "Outlook has generated errors" when their client has been open for awhile and they try to perform some action (reply to an email, closing outlook, etc). I would say that recreating mailbox will not fix Outloo...

mailbox exceeded quota
I was wondering when a user exceeds their quota and can't send messages anymore until they come below the quota. What happens to a message that is sent during this time? Is it bonced back to them or dropped by the server? Is the message kept in the sent itmes folder? Exchange 2003 sp2 user is using OWA the message originator will receive an NDR noting that the user's mailbox is full...it is not automatically re-tried... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "TKD" <TKD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE58EACC-E89D-4B4D-A57F-C81DC3B7B1B4@microsoft.com... >...

Cannot mount mailbox store
Hi, I amgetting the following error after installing exchange 2003 sp1 when trying to mount mailbox store: "The Database files in this store are corrupted". Please advise if there is a way to fix the curropted mailbox store. Thanks, Harry. ...

Does the 2003 junkmail filter work on additional mailboxes...
We have several associates that log on to view their mailbox BUT also access other mailboxes (i.e. user resumes@domain.com) using the additional mailbox feature (under the advanced tap for their email account.) Will the junk email filter work on the additional mailboxes that they have under their account? I couldn't ask for Support, via Passport, as it appears that Microsoft has not updated the serial number input box to accept the longer PID. No, when you open additional Exchange mailboxes in your profile, it only works on your mailbox. It will work on IMAP once the messages ar...

Permissions Required to associate external account with mailbox
We have Exchange 2003 SP1 in a Windows 2003 Domain. This domain trusts an NT domain with accounts in it, these accounts are associated with mailboxes on the exchange 2003 server. Help desk people are NOT able to associate external users from the NT domain without domain admin permisions. Permissions are currently delegated to the group that contains the help desk users that shold give them the ability to do whats required. The help desk group currently has all rights except "Full Control, All Extended Rights, Send As, and Recieve As" For most users objects in the tree. When t...

Move Mailbox and "Cached Mode"
I am attempting to move some mailboxes to another Exchange server. SOme of my clients are runnign in Outlook 2003 "Cached mode". It appears that their profiels are not gettgin updated after the move. Is there some way to force the update to their profiles? Can I simply disable cached mode via GPO temporarily? Am I simply not waiting long enough before loggin them in? Thanks, Bob On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:27:03 -0800, "Bob Williamson" <BobWilliamson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am attempting to move some mailboxes to another Exchange server. SOme of ...

move mailbox fails
I had to move a mailbox from one database to another. Worked fine, except that there was a "ghost" left in the original database - it showed up with a red X on it and a size of 74K. Fine, I've seen that before and not had a problem. Well, now I have a problem - I need to move the mailbox back to its original database, but I get the following error in the Exchange Task Wizard log: <progress code="0" milliseconds="12266">Preparing mailbox to be moved.</progress> - <summary isWarning="false" errorCode="0xc1041722"&g...

Previously disabled account can no longer access mailbox
All: I have a perplexing issue. I support a small office running Exchange 2003. They recently let an employee go and while deciding how to handle the individual's account, we disabled (not deleted) their AD account. I remembered in "old" 5.5 days that the admin could always log in to a mail store with the Exchange admin credentials, but as I found out that is no longer the case. The challenge now is that we re-enabled the users account and changed the password (we didn't know the original password0, but for some reason the account no longer has access to the mailbox. The...

LegacyExchangeDN and Renamed Mailboxes.
Another user had this same question about a week ago referencing tutu and toto. One MVP suggested to delete and recreate and another referenced getting rid of the NK2 file. Neither suggestion helps the problem and still hasn't addressed the actual question of, is it ok to change the LegacyExchangeDN attribute of a user without any negative side effects? Why delete the account if everything else is fine? Also, as I state later, a brand new NK2 file produces the same result. We have some users who have changed their last names. I have renamed the accounts and changed the display ...

Mailbox size limits in 2003
I know I'm kind of asking the same question again, but I need to know if there is a Microsoft recommended mailbox size. I could swear I read somewhere that MS recommends a mailbox size of 250MB, but I can't find it. Surely MS has some opinion on this issue. I read the blog entry on mailbox sizes, but that is a very weak argument. I need something that says this is the recommended mailbox size because ..... I'm getting ready to migrate from 2000 to 2003 and I have users with mailboxes over 5GB. I'm worried that there will be problems during the migration (I'm installi...

Can I move a mailbox while the user is connected to it?
Hi, Can I move a mailbox to a new Exchange Server while the user is connected and using the mailbox through Microsoft Outlook? Thanks in advance Faustino Well, yes, but the user will not maintain their connection :-) It's generally not recommended to move mailboxes while Outlook is active - it normally shoudn't cause problems with the actual move, but different version of Outlook behave differently when the connection is forcefully closed. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Faustino Dina" <ffdina@matusa.com.mx> wrote in message news:O8tO2tQwEHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP11...

repication of mailboxes
Hi, My company has two head offices, one in the UK and one in Boca Raton FL. They both have exchange 2003 servers with the users mailboxes on them. After the hurricane in FL, they were without power. I wondered if there was anyway of replicating their mailboxes to our exchange server, say overnight everyday or something, so that if this happened again, they could access their mail via our server here in the UK? Any ideas or advice on how this might be done would be appreciated. The only way of doing this is with 3rd party replication software... E12 will supposedly allow you to do...

script to count the number of mailboxes on all storage groups on a single mail server?
Gurus, Is there a script I can run which can count the number of mailboxes on all storage groups on a single mail server? i don't know about a script, but there are tools like csvde and ldifde that will allow you to create files with lots of fields that can be sorted on in Excel... "Spin" <Spin@spin.com> wrote in message news:3sfmg8Fo2luoU1@individual.net... > Gurus, > > Is there a script I can run which can count the number of mailboxes on all > storage groups on a single mail server? > > ...

Sizes for OST files different for same mailbox?
I have someone asking me about OST files, and I have been able to answer = most questions. However, it appears the OST file on the laptop is about = a third the size of the OST file on his desktop computer even though = there doesn't appear to be any data missing. Does this discrepency in size indicate some problem or is there a basic = explanation? carl Was the ost on the laptop created after the desktop? As items are deleted from the mailbox, the mailbox may shrink by not necessarily the ost. On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:32:17 -0800, "Vagabond Software" <carlfenley-X-@-X-san....

Question regarding multiply SMTP address for one mailbox
Hi, A particular user at my company needs to have multiply smtp email addresses for her account. What I have done is I have gone into AD, opened up her profile properties, gone to 'email addresses' and added the extra smtp email address in. I now need to make this new entry the primary smtp address, so I select the entry and click on 'Set as primary' and then press apply and ok. However after around 30 mins or so the 'primary smtp address' reverts back to the original smtp address. My question is how do I stop the 'primary smtp address' been reverted ba...

Mailboxes in Exchange 2003 Enterprise Server
I have implemented a policy to limit the mailbox size to 30000 K and implemented a 21 day Age Limit. However, 21 days has passed and the 30000 K limit has passed on more than 50% of our mailboxes. How can we enforce this policy to work properly and clean out the mailboxes to bring this down to 30 K. The policy I have created is running and reporting is enabled.It is configured for report only, but I would like this to change to "Move to deleted items folder". However, since nothing seems to happen as of yet...I am hesitant to make the change until I can see a change and tha...

Restore single mailbox using veritas
Hi One of the user account and associated mailbox were deleted which we are trying to restore from backup. Here is what I have done so far. I have created a recovery storage group and added the database to it. Did not mount the mailbox in the recovery group. Using VERITAS restored the single mailbox from backup tape which now appears under first storage group (not recovery storage group). My question is what to do next? Should I mount the mailbox in the recovery storage group? When can I delete recovery storage group? Thanks Regards - Mount the mailbox store on RSG, - Create a mai...

Exchange mailbox rights set as noninherited #4
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0115_01C58400.C12F0DC0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, We have quite strange problem, with mailbox exchange rights inherited, = as well as explicitly set. For example... There are two mailboxes... lets call them "dummy1" and "dummy2"... At the storage group with these mailboxes permissions are applied for = group exchange administrators, which say that the group should not have access = to the mailboxes in the storage group. If I c...

Mailbox manager notification messages
Is there a way to change the default notification message that an end user recieves when they approach their limit? Not really, no. You can edit the file MDBSZ.DLL with the RLQuikEd from the Win32 Resource Localization Tools that may still be available from MSDN. You'll lose some measure of support if you do it, though. http://www.ftponline.com/wss/2003_TE/magazine/columns/askpros/ -tom ---- "Lee Wilson" <lawilson@seton.org> wrote in message news:1cc4601c42237$2d3d6340$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to change the default notification message > that an end us...

1 forward mailbox for 2 outlook mailbox's
Can we use 1 forward mailbox with two outlook mailbox’s? Please provide your valuable inputs. Thanks in advance and help appreciated. BB ...

# of mailbox limits on 2003
My first Exchange 2003 server is getting ready to be installed and I can't seem to find anywhere if there is a recommendation on how many mailboxes should be on one server. We are running the enterprise edition. Are there suggested limits - or does it matter because of the multiple storage groups? TIA Nancy Stevens nstevens@tycoint.com There may be a physical limitation WAY up there, but I am not sure. You would really have to gauge it on the size of the accounts, amount of email traffic in/out/across/through, connection method for the users, & more. 1000 mailboxes @ 100M each...