Weird exchange service account problems

Scenario:

I attempted to install Brightstor Arcserve backup agent using the
arcserve software.  I got an error saying it was unable to finalize
the account.  I manually deleted the dbagent account several times in
an attempt to troubleshoot the problem.  Now my exchange server is
screwed up.

Sypmtoms:

Logged on as Administrator (Exchange Service Account...I know this
should be a seperate user, will rectify that when this is fixed) I am
seeing problems with permissions inside of the Exchange Server
Administrator program.
When I click on Connections->Internet Mail Service connector I get the
following error:

Extension 'SMTP' could not be loaded.
You do not have the permissions required to complete the operation.
Microsoft Exchange Directory
ID no: DS_E_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_RIGHTS

The organization, site and configuration objects all have
<domain>\Administrator as Service Account Admin role.  BUT...there is
an '\Unknown Account' in the list as well with the Permissions Admin
role as well as the arcserve dbagent too (Looks to me like Permissions
Admin is a subset of the Service Account Admin permissions).

My exchgsvr\ADD-INS directory is shared.  When I click
sharing->permissions it shows the Administrator user has full control.

Another symptom I noticed:

When trying to create a new mailbox I get the following error when
clicking on 'E-mail Addresses' tab:

An error occured while processing an e-mail address.  To view details
of the error, see the application event log in the Windows NT event
viewer on the Microsoft Exchange Server computer.
Microsoft Exchange Administrator
ID no: c1030b35

In the event log there is this error:

Error you do not have permissions required to complete operation.
occured during address generation

My exchange service account password has not changed.

Somehow I feel the exchange service account has lost some permission.
I am running Exchange Server 5.5 sp4 on Windows 2000 Server.

Please respond here.
Thanks for any help.
0
D0ggus (2)

D0ggus@hotmail.com (Doggus) wrote in

> Somehow I feel the exchange service account has lost some permission.
> I am running Exchange Server 5.5 sp4 on Windows 2000 Server.

There is a KB article and whitepaper on changing the service account. I'd
review it and create a new account and grant it the correct rights.

Regards,

--
Arlo Clizer
Exchange MVP

Hey Microsoft! Exchange 2003 Question
Can an Exchange administrator modify the Level1 and Level2 attachment lists? I don't want my Outlook users to have to save a certain type of file to the disk first. If so how? Thanks This may help: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/admin.htm -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0be901c3db86$5e56e700$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can an Exchange administrator modify the Level1 and > Level2 attachment lists? > I don't want my Outlook users to ha...

Post Exchange SP2 install outgoing messages not being delivered
I have just finished installing SP1 for Windows 2003 Server and SP2 for Exchange 2003, since the install mail being sent to specific servers i.e aol.com, yahoo.com, and a few others is not flowing, it is being queued and not being delivered as before. I need to find a fix for this issue fast, Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated. OS: Windows 2003 Server Standard w/ SP1 and all updates Exchange Server 2003 with SP2 Thanks in advance. That usually indicates that the server cannot resolve the target domains in DNS. I have seen similar problems caused by the virus scann...

Change Account Setup
How do I change an account from "Online" to "Manual" for updates? I did this recently by going to Tools - Internet Updates - Customize Updates, and removing the password (i.e. just blanking it out) for the account in question. The first time it tries to update after you do this, Money gets irritated that there's no password, and then you get the opportunity to tell Money you don't want online updates for this account anymore. (I use M05 btw). -- Joaneee "SEABEE" wrote: > How do I change an account from "Online" to "Manual&quo...

Exchange 2003 SP2 and IE 7
Hi, Since installing IE 7 on the Exchange back-end server, I can't get access to any information in the public folders from Outlook clients. I can open the Public folders, but there is nothing showing in there... But if I add new stuff, the new item shows up in that PF. If I try the some public folder that are not replicated on this server, I can see the content... This is not a permission problem, since that has not changed, and has been verified... Any one knows what is going on ??? Thanks !!! ...

Problem with "Application.Goto Reference" code line
In my Workbook_Open() subroutine, I run the following line of code: Application.Goto Reference:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1"), scroll:=True This code works okay, but whenever I mark my "Sheet1" as hidden, the code no longer works. The error message that I get is Run-Time Error 1004 - Method 'Goto' of Object '_Application' Failed. Is there any way to use that line of code on a hidden sheet?? thanx The sheet needs to be visible for that code to work. "Robert Crandal" <nobody@gmail.com> wrote in message news:...

mailboxes are getting larger on Exchange Server
Dear all, I ve a problem in my exchange server 2003. * The mailboxes are getting larger and although i m delvering the mails to PST files *Many mailboxes shows that they r above the limit "mailbox disabled" .... i m using a quata for the mailboxes. and by browsing the mailbox i dont c any thing in the mail box from the user's side ... the only solution is to expand the its quota then it returns to normale stauts very strange!! Note: I m taking backup every day "the normal backup size was 17 GB after that its 65 GB" *It only took one day to get to the 65...

Exchange 2000 and Unix
Hi, We have a Exchange server which is connected to the internet via which we send/receive e-mail to the external world. We have a couple of Unix boxes (Solaris) which we want setup to connect to the Exchange server for sending e-mails to the Internet. However everytime an e-mail is send we get an error about relaying. Due to security reasons the Exchange admin cannot setup relaying. Is there another way to set this up, say via Exchange connector ? Please let me know. Thanks, Subho The Exchange Admin "could" configure relaying so specific machines can relay messages via yo...

if isblank problem
I have written following formula on technical sheet of my workbook =if(isblank(q31:q36),0,sum(q31:q36)/4) which gives me correct answer true version ie 0 but when try to enter on summary sheet as =if(isblank(technical!q31:q36),0,sum(technical!q31:q36)/4) i get false version any ideas why? Thanks Tina Hi try =if(countblank(technical!q31:q36)=6,0,sum(technical!q31:q36)/4) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany tina wrote: > I have written following formula on technical sheet of my workbook > =if(isblank(q31:q36),0,sum(q31:q36)/4) > which gives me correct answer true version ...

Internet Mail Service Problem
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C49F0B.EE172F50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Team, For quite sometime my Internet Mail Service for Exchange 5.5 get stopped = of its own. My present environment setup is:-=20 1. I have 5 Exchange administrative console located at 3 three = different building.=20 2. My OS is Windows 2000 Server with SP4 3. Exchange 5.5 with SP4=20 4.Running NAV for Exchange built 2.18=20 After going through application logs, I found following E...

Administrator email account sending external msgs???
My Server Usage Report indicates that the Administrator account has sent 1820 External emails (only 16 internal ones). I'm perplexed since I have NOT used this account to send any external emails. I verified I don't have an open relay, so how is this possible? Paul wrote: > My Server Usage Report indicates that the Administrator > account has sent 1820 External emails (only 16 internal > ones). I'm perplexed since I have NOT used this account to > send any external emails. I verified I don't have an open > relay, so how is this possible? Probably bou...

New Project, Different Problem: AutoFilter?
I'm creating a database of outside trainers. Each trainer can handle multiple categories of training. It is essential that the training manager be able to create lists for specific categories as the need arises, as well as being able to do more standard sorts such as Name. Rather than making multiple entries for each Trainer (one for each category, which may reach 10+), I'd like to allow multiple entries in the Category column utilizing a key for each category. It seems that AutoFilter would be the ideal method for creating this db. Well, actually Advanced AutoFilter, since...

Access ODBC problem: Excel cannot get float columns
I need some help I'm trying to get Access external data from an Excel workbook, using the MS Query feature. Everything is ok except when I try to fetch some tables that ODBC refuses to get data from. The error message tells that the MS Access ODBC driver doesn't allow some columns to be transmited because of its number of characters. The most strange thing is that I can see the data from MS Query correctly, but I caannot get it back from Excel. After some tries, I thing it occurs only with real typed columns. Can anybody help me? I use Windows XP Home + Office 2000 spanish versio...

Weird Fault on GetFocus
Hey. I keep crashing on this code blip (quite randomly) and can't seem to track why or a fix around. CWnd *activeSelected = GetFocus(); if (activeSelected->m_hWnd != NULL) { .. Fault occurs here I'm not sure what the reason is, but it might happen once every 2-10 minutes, and i'll have several windows open and a few dialog boxes open from the application. But every time I get a fault, it returns back to the same line of code (!= NULL) bit.. And also, CSomeDlg *dlg; (a Member variable in another dialog) Say in a button press for a modeless dialog window. if (dlg) { delete ...

Net Worth Report: Investment Account cash compenent as a separate line item
Is there a way to get MS Money to combine the cash account associated with an Investment account with the investment account. For investment accounts, 2 lines are unnecessarily reported in the Networth report such as below. I want only one amount reported. Account Name X $x Account Name X (cash) $Y Using Money 2004. Thx Probably not. Money really does think these are two accounts. You could always copy the report to Excel where you could make it say anything you want. "Bill Toupee" <billtupea@domain.com> wrote in message news:hmnXf.210000$H%4.1...

Thread Problems
Found this from MSDN->codeguru, can't seem to figure out the problem.... class ThreadClass { protected: HANDLE m_hThread; //Thread handle bool m_bActive; //activity indicator DWORD m_lpId; //Thread ID public: ThreadClass(){} virtual ~ThreadClass(){Kill();} //Thread Management bool CreateNewThread() { m_hThread = CreateThread(NULL, 0, (LPTHREAD_START_ROUTINE)_ThreadFunc, (LPVOID) this, 0, (LPDWORD) &m_lpId); if (m_hThread == NULL) return false; m_bActive = true; return true; }; //Wait for thread to end bool Wait() {return (WAIT_OBJECT_0 == WaitForSingleObject(m_hT...

View Only Admin
I am having problems with the view only admin delegation. I put the appropriate group into the local admin on each exchange box but after a couple of days exchange removes this group. What is causing this and how do fix it so it leaves this security group in there. Thanks for your help -- Justin This can happen due to conflicting policies or rules. Try to enable Auditing for the security log and enable loging for Exchange in system manger and check results. "Justin" wrote: > I am having problems with the view only admin delegation. I put the > appropriate group ...

Internal Mail Problem
Hi all, I want to restrict some users to send & receive mail from internal user only, so I try to remove their smtp address and leave the x.400 address in the properties. This works well in Exchange 5.5 environment. But, how can I do this in Exchange 2003 environment, I cannot removed the smtp address in Exchange 2003, Please help, thanks. On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 00:46:12 +0800, <a> wrote: >Hi all, I want to restrict some users to send & receive mail from internal >user only, so I try to remove their smtp address and leave the x.400 address >in the properties. ...

Problem Printing w/Calendar Assistant
Every time I attempt to print a calendar using the Assistant it prints one page and then stops. I have tried to print multiple pages of a weekly calendar and each time it prints one week and then stops. I love the layout and colors of the calendar but I can not get more than one weekly calendar to print no matter how many weeks I select to be printed. Calendar Printing Assistant is known to be quirky. It works best with Outlook 2007. I cant say i know a fix for your issue. However, if you cant work around for this issue or you need a better printing solution, consider using...

problems with windows live mail
when windows live mail starts to download from my gmail pop account I always a box pop up saying "Internet Security Warning" dialog box "The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could not be verified. "The certificate's CN name does not match the passed value." "Do you want to continue using this server?" I click yes and it works, connects and downloads messages. Until the email client is close and restarted that is. Then once again on the first access the security certificate message is displayed. How do I get this to w...

Outlook attachment problems
Dear Our oversea office sender using Outlook Sending message (HTML) insert a picture sending message to my office, when I have received the attachment auto duplicate one set in the message. I have asked the sender try remove the picture and FORWARD to my e-mail, but the attachment sill in the message and auto duplicate one set attachment. Out overseas office using MS SBS , user setup WG mode for outlook download message. I am not sure which part problems or virus effect. Please advice how to solve out the problems ASAP. JACKIE ...

Interesting problem in Money 2005 and MSN link
Money 2005 Premium. I swore I'd never link to MSN on the web but yesterday somehow got there by trying to set up an MBNA card. I finally figured it wasn't worth it so I removed everything - passport and all data. Here is the interesting thing. Previously, my mny file was 46MB after a shrink. After removing everything, it shrank to 41MB. I didn't really care since I had a backup but I decided to explore further. In putting everything through MSN and then disabling it all, it reversed the sign on 2 transactions (one in 1998, the other in 2003) but nothing else was touched. All 22,...

Field service table structure and field definitions
The 9 SDK does not reference or define the fields or tables for the Field service component. Where can I find this information? I need to move RMA into a data warehouse and am having significant trouble identifying the data flows. Thanks, Will You may want to contact I.B.I.S. They wrote the application. -- Charles Allen, MVP "WS" wrote: > The 9 SDK does not reference or define the fields or tables for the Field > service component. Where can I find this information? I need to move RMA > into a data warehouse and am having significant trouble identifying th...

Help with
I am currently in the process of migrating exchange 2000 to exchange 2003 on new hardware. I have transfered the RUS role, offline address book role and replicated the public folders ect. and now am beginning to move maiboxes. I noticed 3 very repetive errors in the application event log however. I was wondering if someone could tell me whether these messages are somthing I should be concerned with. See them below. So far I have no user complaints about outlook. Thanks. Event ID: 9320 Source MSExchangeSA Type Warning Description OALGen could not generate full details for some en...

Very strange problems while running Great Plains on workstations
I notice that a few workstations in an office I support are having problems when they run Great Plains. Excel, Outlook, Word and Dynamics.exe are showing in the Application event log as being Hanging or Faulting. I also see Fault Bucket errors, but when I search online I cannot find any information online. Here is one of the Fault Bucket errors: 3:15:35 pm 28-Sep-06 Application Hang None 1001 N/A Fault bucket 296734104. Also, these workstations are experiencing problems printing PDF files. Has anyone out there seen this behavior and if so, how can these problems be fixed? Thank you, ...

Disabling Unicode Messaging
Apparently Exchange 2003 uses Unicode Messaging which previous versions of Exch did not. Now that we have migrated all of our users from Exch 2000 to 2003 their OST files will not work. We have no need for Unicode messaging so rather than rebuilding all of our User's Outlook Profile we would rather simply "disable" Unicode Messaging on the Exch Server. Does anyone have any idea how to do that? Can it be done once the server is in use and has 150+ mailboxes on it Thanks for any input Michael ...