Way to do AD Query in Outlook?

We want to make an easy way for folk to look up Outlook contact/AD details
in Outlook and/or through our company intranet.

Is there a way I can either:
1) Make an AD query off of Outlook so users can click on a link and get a
fully up-to-date listing of AD users/extensions/other fields that are in AD.
2) Make a query/webpart in Sharepoint so users can do searches or lists of
the above data as well (GAL or AD user query)?

Seems pretty straightforward, using all the field in AD to store company
data and then make it easy to get to, but I don't want to have to click 'new
message' in outlook and find the name and select the name, just to get
someone's extension list... or if I want to printout a copy of the directory
to take on the road, create a custom query against AD for a one-time
report..

Any tips are appreciated!

0
csdokna (4)

I'm not really sure what you're asking - if you want to run a LDAP query
from Outlook, you can add AD as an LDAP provider really easily.  Tools |
E-Mail Accounts | Add a new directory or address book | Next | Internet
Directory Service (LDAP) | server name.

"Chris Sdonka" <csdokna@applebypass.net> wrote in message
> We want to make an easy way for folk to look up Outlook contact/AD details
> in Outlook and/or through our company intranet.
>
> Is there a way I can either:
> 1) Make an AD query off of Outlook so users can click on a link and get a
> fully up-to-date listing of AD users/extensions/other fields that are in
> AD.
> 2) Make a query/webpart in Sharepoint so users can do searches or lists of
> the above data as well (GAL or AD user query)?
>
> Seems pretty straightforward, using all the field in AD to store company
> data and then make it easy to get to, but I don't want to have to click
> 'new message' in outlook and find the name and select the name, just to
> get someone's extension list... or if I want to printout a copy of the
> directory to take on the road, create a custom query against AD for a
> one-time report..
>
> Any tips are appreciated!

0
missy5697 (66)
7/13/2006 9:38:03 PM
Missy, The reason I don't want to add it as an address book is that if you
open up the Global Address List, it's already querying AD for all the user
account details... problem is, it's so combersome to find your way into the
GAL just to look up a phone number or user detail, and sometimes you want to
print out a list of the details that are in the GAL for multiple users and
that's not possible...

What I want to do is make either a shortcut in Outlook that can do an LDAP
query of all my users (username, office location, phone numbers, etc...), or
find some way within our Sharepoint environment to do the same, or pull the
GAL details out of Outlook through the users' mapi connection to exchange.
I can't be the only person out there that wants an employee directory that
doesn't require someone to manually type in users real names, phone #,
etc..and then manually keep it updated with the details that have already
been entered into AD...

Chris

"Missy Koslosky [MVP]" <missy@dontspammebuddy.mvps.org> wrote in message
> I'm not really sure what you're asking - if you want to run a LDAP query
> from Outlook, you can add AD as an LDAP provider really easily.  Tools |
> E-Mail Accounts | Add a new directory or address book | Next | Internet
> Directory Service (LDAP) | server name.
>
> "Chris Sdonka" <csdokna@applebypass.net> wrote in message
>> We want to make an easy way for folk to look up Outlook contact/AD
>> details in Outlook and/or through our company intranet.
>>
>> Is there a way I can either:
>> 1) Make an AD query off of Outlook so users can click on a link and get a
>> fully up-to-date listing of AD users/extensions/other fields that are in
>> AD.
>> 2) Make a query/webpart in Sharepoint so users can do searches or lists
>> of the above data as well (GAL or AD user query)?
>>
>> Seems pretty straightforward, using all the field in AD to store company
>> data and then make it easy to get to, but I don't want to have to click
>> 'new message' in outlook and find the name and select the name, just to
>> get someone's extension list... or if I want to printout a copy of the
>> directory to take on the road, create a custom query against AD for a
>> one-time report..
>>
>> Any tips are appreciated!

0
csdokna (4)
7/14/2006 1:37:42 PM
Hey Chris,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I guess I don't quite get what is behind your
desire for this. Are you looking to create a simple phone directory?  I'm
confused as to why Outlook isn't serving this need well - it's certainly
what we do.

If you want to pull details from AD and get them into printed form, that
shouldn't be hard to do.

Missy

> Missy, The reason I don't want to add it as an address book is that if you
> open up the Global Address List, it's already querying AD for all the user
> account details... problem is, it's so combersome to find your way into
> the GAL just to look up a phone number or user detail, and sometimes you
> want to print out a list of the details that are in the GAL for multiple
> users and that's not possible...
>
> What I want to do is make either a shortcut in Outlook that can do an LDAP
> query of all my users (username, office location, phone numbers, etc...),
> or find some way within our Sharepoint environment to do the same, or pull
> the GAL details out of Outlook through the users' mapi connection to
> exchange. I can't be the only person out there that wants an employee
> directory that doesn't require someone to manually type in users real
> names, phone #, etc..and then manually keep it updated with the details
> that have already been entered into AD...
>
> Chris
>
> "Missy Koslosky [MVP]" <missy@dontspammebuddy.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> I'm not really sure what you're asking - if you want to run a LDAP query
>> from Outlook, you can add AD as an LDAP provider really easily.  Tools |
>> E-Mail Accounts | Add a new directory or address book | Next | Internet
>> Directory Service (LDAP) | server name.
>>
>> "Chris Sdonka" <csdokna@applebypass.net> wrote in message
>>> We want to make an easy way for folk to look up Outlook contact/AD
>>> details in Outlook and/or through our company intranet.
>>>
>>> Is there a way I can either:
>>> 1) Make an AD query off of Outlook so users can click on a link and get
>>> a fully up-to-date listing of AD users/extensions/other fields that are
>>> in AD.
>>> 2) Make a query/webpart in Sharepoint so users can do searches or lists
>>> of the above data as well (GAL or AD user query)?
>>>
>>> Seems pretty straightforward, using all the field in AD to store company
>>> data and then make it easy to get to, but I don't want to have to click
>>> 'new message' in outlook and find the name and select the name, just to
>>> get someone's extension list... or if I want to printout a copy of the
>>> directory to take on the road, create a custom query against AD for a
>>> one-time report..
>>>
>>> Any tips are appreciated!

0
missy5697 (66)

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

AD Sync problem

Linking files 2 ways

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

using the journal on outlook

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

cannot open hyper links in outlook

outlook 97 and express email problems

nested OR in queries
I have a table that has 20 date fields for each record. I need to select any record that has a matching date in at least one of those fields so it becomes a huge OR in a query and I have noticed that I am limited to 9 in a query. Is there a way to do this efficiently or will I need multiple queries to test all 20 date fields? If your table uses multiple date fields, the first thing you'll want to consider is coming up with a new table! In a spreadsheet, adding 20 date fields may be the only way to handle a situation, but you won't get the best use of Access' features and funct...

Business Portal should allow requisition to be added to issued PO
The printing of a PO changes the status of the PO from New to Released (signifying the release of the PO to the vendor). Once a PO has been released, it will not show as a PO you can add items to from business portal. The current design of the product only allows you to add to POs with a status of New. Adding an item to a Released PO should trigger a change order. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not ...

CRM and Outlook Integration 07-22-03

Does Outlook use the DAV protocol?

Outlook Recall Msg Process

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?

Outlook context menu lost most options
Hi there. I'd dearly love some help with this matter. It's been going on for months now. Has anyone got any idea how I can sort this issue out? "Jonathan E. (NZ)" <s_pam_stop@hotmail.comTAKEOUTTHESECAPS> wrote in message news:<eYICp6NCFHA.3976@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>... Hi there, I run outlook 2003. It would seem that the context menu has lost the plot. It looks like outlook has gone into some "mode" other than the one it is usually in by default. I have found that when I right click on any mail folder the context menu has very different options f...

outlook 2007 e-mail