wanted help on exchange backup

can someone please help on how to take exchange incremental backup using
default windows ntbackup program. the normal backup works fine, but while
taking an incremental backup it does not give me any option to select the
full backup and while i try to take the incremental backup it says no full
backup found.

Regards,
Haider
0
HaiderAli (3)

Are you already really sure you want to perform incremental backups?

The following are the four different types of online backups:

Full backup. Covers the entire information store. It saves databases as well
as transaction log entries that have not yet been committed to the
databases. In addition, transaction log files whose content is already
committed to the actual database files are purged from the system. It
enables you to restore the databases from a single backup, but it requires
more tape space than any other online backup type. The full backup sets the
context for all other backup types.

Incremental backup. Saves only new transaction log files, which are purged
once they have been backed up, setting the context for the next incremental
or differential backup. It is important to understand that the incremental
backup does not save any database files, which means that it is useless
without a previous full backup. A successful restore requires the last full
backup plus all incremental backups since that time. While incremental
backups use tape storage media efficiently, they are the most time consuming
to restore from. Incremental backups are not supported on storage groups
where circular logging is enabled.

Differential backup. Works similar to the incremental backup, but does not
purge transaction log files. Therefore, it does not change the context for
the next backup. It is dependent on a previous full backup or incremental
backup. A successful restore requires the last full backup plus the last
differential backup. This backup type is not supported on servers or storage
groups where circular logging is enabled.

Copy backup. Saves databases and transaction logs, but does not purge any
files from the system. The copy backup does not change the context for any
other backup types. It is useful for archive purposes. It is a good idea to
perform a copy backup monthly and whenever you change the configuration or
work with offline database utilities.

Backup Type Dependencies

You should back up your servers at least once every day. Perform full
backups, also called normal backups, if the size of your databases and the
capacity of your backup media allow it. Full backups do not depend on other
backups. The incremental backup, on the other hand, has significant
disadvantages because it imposes previous backups. If your backup from
yesterday is destroyed, the backup from today is also useless. In this case,
only the incremental backups from the days before yesterday can be restored
in addition to the last full backup, so the server has effectively lost the
most current information. Differential backups overcome this disadvantage,
but they require more server disk and tape space than incremental backups
because transaction log files are not purged between full backup cycles. If
you performed a full backup the day before yesterday and differential
backups yesterday and today, only the last full backup and the differential
backup from today are required to fully restore the server.

--

Regards,

Menko den Ouden
MCSE+I+Messaging

"Haider Ali" <HaiderAli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can someone please help on how to take exchange incremental backup using
> default windows ntbackup program. the normal backup works fine, but while
> taking an incremental backup it does not give me any option to select the
> full backup and while i try to take the incremental backup it says no full
> backup found.
>
> Regards,
> Haider

0
menko6522 (2)
7/10/2006 9:15:44 AM
I understand the backup technology and several advantages and disadvantages.
my question is how do i overcome the problem i am currently facing. why am i
not able to take the incremental backup.

Regards,
Haider.

"Menko den Ouden" wrote:

> [...]
> but they require more server disk and tape space than incremental backups
> because transaction log files are not purged between full backup cycles. If
> you performed a full backup the day before yesterday and differential
> backups yesterday and today, only the last full backup and the differential
> backup from today are required to fully restore the server.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Menko den Ouden
> MCSE+I+Messaging
>
> "Haider Ali" <HaiderAli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > can someone please help on how to take exchange incremental backup using
> > default windows ntbackup program. the normal backup works fine, but while
> > taking an incremental backup it does not give me any option to select the
> > full backup and while i try to take the incremental backup it says no full

0
HaiderAli (3)
7/10/2006 9:31:02 AM
Incremental backup for Exchange is generally not recommended.

"Haider Ali" <HaiderAli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can someone please help on how to take exchange incremental backup using
> default windows ntbackup program. the normal backup works fine, but while
> taking an incremental backup it does not give me any option to select the
> full backup and while i try to take the incremental backup it says no full
> backup found.
>
> Regards,
> Haider

0
exchange.mvp (559)
7/10/2006 9:43:06 AM
Is circular logging enabled? If yes disable it. Incremental will only backup
logs from memory.

> [...]
>> If
>> you performed a full backup the day before yesterday and differential
>> backups yesterday and today, only the last full backup and the
>> differential
>> backup from today are required to fully restore the server.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Menko den Ouden
>> MCSE+I+Messaging
>>
>> "Haider Ali" <HaiderAli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > can someone please help on how to take exchange incremental backup
>> > using
>> > default windows ntbackup program. the normal backup works fine, but
>> > while
>> > taking an incremental backup it does not give me any option to select
>> > the
>> > full backup and while i try to take the incremental backup it says no

0
exchange.mvp (559)
7/10/2006 12:17:17 PM
Circular logging is already disabled.

"Andrew Sword [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> yesterday is destroyed, the backup from today is also useless. In this
> >> case,
> >> only the incremental backups from the days before yesterday can be
> >> restored
> >> in addition to the last full backup, so the server has effectively lost
> >> the
> >> most current information. Differential backups overcome this
> >> disadvantage,
> >> but they require more server disk and tape space than incremental backups
> >> because transaction log files are not purged between full backup cycles.
> >> If
> >> you performed a full backup the day before yesterday and differential
> >> backups yesterday and today, only the last full backup and the
> >> differential
> >> backup from today are required to fully restore the server.

0
HaiderAli (3)

exchange store?
I have exchange 2003 sp2 running on a box that has 2003 server with 1.2ghz amd 1 gig of ram a few 100 gig drives. I notice that exchange eats up all the memory and leaves bearly any for other tasks like automated backups. I just look at it and 131,784k is being used for store.exe is there something i can do? Alex, I knew the question before reading it! ;-) This is normal. This is a well-known situation and is by-design. There is nothing that you can do and there is nothing that you should do. Were you to add more RAM (assuming that it is possible on your system) you would experie...

HELP!! #2
Does anyone know how to Synch AIM mail to outlook? ...

Add a MX in exchange 2003
Hi, I need to add a secondary MX, managed by my exchange server 2003, but I don't know reall yhos to do it, and how to manage priority in the records.... This would be done on your Public DNS server, so talk to whoever manages it. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Tom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:145af01c444b8$7a1a6d40$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > I need to add a secondary MX, managed by my exchange > server 2003, but I don't know reall yhos to do it, and > how to manag...

restoring backup on newer version of Money
I'm having difficulties to restore data from backup file - Microsoft Money 2000 to Microsoft Money Delux & Business (2003). I'm getting message; MONEY CANNOT OPEN THIS FILE BECAUSE IT WAS CREATED BY AN INCOMPATIBLE VERSION. Is this possible??? God help us with such Delux software. Mike In microsoft.public.money, Michael wrote: >I'm having difficulties to restore data from backup file - > Microsoft Money 2000 to Microsoft Money Delux & Business >(2003). I'm getting message; >MONEY CANNOT OPEN THIS FILE BECAUSE IT WAS CREATED BY AN >INCOMPATIBL...

Exchange 2003 System Manager #4
Hi, Is it possible to install Exchange 2003 System manager on a Windows 2003 Server to manage an Exchange 2000 server? Thanks, JB Yes, you can manage Exchange 2000 Servers from Exchange 2003 ESM. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "JB" <JB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B8B1AAE8-9BE3-4DBD-A8A1-081D5A651BDE@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > Is it possible to install Exchange 2003 System manager on a Windows 2003 > Server to manage an Exchange 2000 server? > > Thanks, > > JB ...

money 2007 vs. providian ? please help
money wont retrieve info from providian. if i look up providian in the ms money compatibility link as posted by others I get 'direct services' what gives any help? In microsoft.public.money, newby wrote: >money wont retrieve info from providian. > >if i look up providian in the ms money compatibility link as posted by >others I get 'direct services' I don't think so. It looks like "third party". > >what gives > >any help? ...

E-mail stuck in Inbox, file in use, backup fails
I have a reoccuring problem that is driving me nuts. I have Small Business Server 2003 with Exchange set up. A user keeps getting a specific e-mail in her inbox in the mail store that kills the Veritas backup. The e-mail never makes it to the Outlook 2003 client. If you use OWA, the e-mail shows up there but it will not open. The page not found error is HTTP 500 server error. If you look at the log in Veritas, it says 'file in use' and 'access denied'. On the weekend I rebooted the server remotely and then permanently deleted the e-mail. The backup completed succes...

Outlook 2001 & new Exchange server
We recently moved to a new server (Exchange 2003 on Win2003; old server was Exchange 2000 on Win2000). We have one Mac user (MacOS 10.3). Our experience with Entourage X was abysmal, so she uses iCal and Groupcal (from Snerdware) to access her calendar. To look at other users' calendars, she uses Outlook 2001 (which runs in Classic mode). When we moved to the new Exchange server, she could no longer access calendars that she had previously accessed, either from File | Open | Other User's Folder or File | Open and then the shortcut (the error was about permissions, which were as befor...

Bar Graph Help
I'm trying to create a graph similar to the bar graph shown in the middle of the dashboard in the link below labeled as "YTD % of target", but don't know how to get the overlapping bars in excel. Can anyone advise? Thanks! http://www.bonavistasystems.com/Download2/Airline%20Dashboard2.png Here's one way to do it... Add the YTD % series to your bar graph, and then format the series so that it is on the secondary axis. XL will probably create a secondary X-axis, but that will cause a distortion of the data. We need them to be plotted on the same x-ax...

How to Route Outbound E-mail from the Exchange Server 5.5 to another server.
Hi. I'm implementing an e-mail filter software and I need to configure my Exchange Server to route outbound e-mail to the e-mail filter server. I went to the connection tap and changed the message delivery to : Forward all message to host : "My e-mail filter server ". I need to know if what I've done is correct ? Thank you for your help. Yes, that's where you make the change. Don't forget to restart the IMS in order to affect the change. -- hth, SusanV "Javier" <jbisono@tricom.com.do> wrote in message news:uPVHjhl9DHA.1472@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

Active Directory Backup Queries
I'm investigating the Active directory Backup functions and am somewhat confused. I have written a test program which I run on my machine (meteor). I have 2 queries: 1) If I call DsIsNTDSOnline(), passing in either of our live servers (dabs and galaxy) it succeeds and says that Active Directory is online. If I pass in our test server (dstest), it fails with RPC_S_INVALID_BINDING. MSDN for DsIsNTDSOnline() says that "The server must be the same computer that this function is called from". Surely it should return RPC_S_INVALID_BINDING for all 3 of the above cases since my machine...

MS
I'm running a SBS2003 which comes with Exchange. When I go into the que I see all these outgoing messages, I click on them and Outlook Express (which we don't use) pops up with a message to an email account we don't have. They are all from Internet Email? When I go into Exchange Manager - Servers - my domain - Queues I see all these odd outbound ? - Default SMTP Virtual Server? Any ideas? I'm upto date with Trend, and I've done the house call scan and found nothing. I'm upto date with MS. -- Dave Are you being used as a relay by a spammer? Could one of local desk...

Help Downloading OS to Target
Hi all. Kind of new to CE. I have managed to build a CEPC OS and have tested it on MS Virtual Machine. Problem I am having is trying to download it to the CEPC. From everything I can find, I need to have a 1.44 boot disk. Neither of my machines have a floppy drive. Ultimately, an ISO that can be burned to CD would be great! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. That depends on the media that your BIOS supports for booting -- Bruce Eitman (eMVP) Senior Engineer Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman Eurotech Inc....

Pivot Table Help #2
I have a sheet that I use to keep track daily of the value of inventory by day, and grouped by week. The value of the inventory is tracked by three different subgroups. (Below is an example). On my piviot table the values are grouped by type and by week. So what I get is a five day average of each Type by week, which is exactly what I want. My averages are as follows: M $796091.00 O $615069.00 R $3180669.00 =================== Grand Totals $1530609.00 The grand totals are where I need help. The grand total is an average of the avaerages. Is it possible to display a sum of the av...

Remove EXchange 2003 fron an EXchange Organization?
Hi! I have two Exchange 2003 (in Windows 2003 AD) in an Exchange organization in my test lab. One Exchange server has disaster. I cannot more start or access Windows or EXchange on this disaster server. I wanted to spend time and installed operating system again in this server, and want to install Exchange 2003. But before Exchange installation, I want o remove/delete old Exchange server in the EXchnage organization. How can I delete this "old" Exchange server from Exchange organization? Best Regards Mustafa "mustafa" <mustafa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:...

Exchange on a SBS 2003
I am getting the below error when I send emails to persons in my office. I havent change anything so I dont know why it's telling me I dont have permission .. Sam Puse on 7/06/2006 1:32 PM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. MSEXCH:MSExchangeIS:/DC=local/DC=CFCG:CFCG-FILESERVER This sounds like a delivery restriction on the persons mailbox - look at the user object Properties / 'Exchange General' tab / 'Delivery Restrictions'. See if messages will only be accepted from specified senders. (should ...

Really Need Some Help Here
RMS V 1.3.1006 We have a closed location. We do not have their database (this was our first closed location - 1 yr ago). This location has inventory that resides on it. Their computer has been retasked, and wiped clean for the new location. We have reports that pull that location's inventory. That is bad. I have worked around the RMS reports to add filter qualities, like Store Region <> Closed, etc. However, now we are also using a separate reporting tool that does not function like this. Does anyone (please help me!) know a query that can be run from the HQ side to compl...

I need help with Ex5.5 OWA
Can someone please tell me how to set it up. I'm new to this company and I'd like to set this up for them as an alternative to check emails. My Enviornment: Windows 2000 Active Directory Exchange 5.5 You help will be appreciated. "nadia" <nadia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CA4EED49-AEBD-4B43-8D69-87CD7AB1EF72@microsoft.com... > Can someone please tell me how to set it up. > I'm new to this company and I'd like to set this up for them as an > alternative to check emails. > > My Enviornment: Windows 2000 Active Directory...

Exchange 2007: Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO ...
Please anyone, help! Exchange does not work! Local email delivery does not work on Exchange 2007. The following three error logs repeat itself: Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeMailSubmission Event Category: MSExchangeMailSubmission Event ID: 1009 Description: There is no active Hub Transport server in the local site. [comments: thats strange, because there is!] Event Type: Error Event Source: Userenv Event Category: None Event ID: 1058 Date: 9-12-2006 Time: 6:08:06 User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: Server Description: Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO CN={31B2F3...

Help is "blank"
I had to reinstall windows and MS Office XP on my computer. Now the "Answer Wizard" and "Index" tabs are blank. The "Contents" tab still has the help tree. What did I do wrong? See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319956 "The Answer Wizard and the Help Index tabs appear blank when you use Help in an Office program". Joseph wrote: > I had to reinstall windows and MS Office XP on my computer. > Now the "Answer Wizard" and "Index" tabs are blank. The > "Contents" tab still has the help tree. > > What did...

To Bernard or anyone who can help
Thanks for your reply Berbard. I can make a column or a bar chart without worrying about the order but here, I want to make the chart in order of score, in this case from highest to lowest but want to keep my spread sheet looking AB,B,C,D . . . . No, I don't have 4 entries. I have 32 entries. Hope this is sufficient. Thanks again for the prompt reply. Awaiting another reply Thanks Dharsh "Bernard Liengme" wrote: > Are you able to make a Bar or Column chart without worrying about the order? > Tell us the answer, and I will show you how to order the data. Can we ...

Sort, select and average macro help
Please help! I have a report that is pulled regularly. It contains thirty day of data each time. Header row on line 11. Data starts on line 12. Column C & D are the identifiers of a particular sector. Each sector has 30 lines of data, one each for 30 days. Then the next sector starts. For each sector, I need to sort column E from greatest to least, then average the second thru the seventh value. In the data below, 1201A would be the first sector, 1201B is the second...I need to take each sector, sort the Indices greatest to least for that sector, ignore the first line of data ...

Outlook 2003 + Exchange 2000
All new mails are automatically marked as read when in fact they are not. How can I fix this? Any help appreciated. > All new mails are automatically marked as read when in fact they are > not. How can I fix this? Any help appreciated. Do you have any rules configured? Does it happen for all users or just one? Does it happen regardless of whether you click on the message or not? Does it happen if you shut outlook down completely and look at OWA? -- -f.h. ...

WANTED: Excel template for loan payment record with random/irregular payments
A previous poster explained what I also need; there were no responses, so I thought I would try again. Does anyone know of an Excel template--or a small stand-alone program--that will calculate the interest/principal breakdown when payments are varied in amount and frequency? Free or low-cost, please. I need one that will work on my Mac/Office 2004. I will need to print out periodic reports. Here is the way the previous poster described it: "Excel template: Loan Amortization for random/irregular payments, figures days between payment dates. I have a loan with a variable beginning bal...

Outlook Login info help
Ok, this a bit complicated I don't expect many to know this, but I hope someone does who is willing to share it . ... What is the file that the login information is stored in? And whare in the registry does it tell Outlook Express (2k) to Find this file/info is located? Primarally I need to know this a WinXP OS's, but hopefully I can find this information for the 98 version, (which is quite probably in a altogether different place within reg as is fairly standard in these matters) also account information is stored in the registry. (it would be under the HKCU hive for the l...