Want to remove Public Folder store/replicas but see many logons

Hello,
I would like to remove a Public Folder Store from a server in my
all-Exchange 2003 environment.  We have had two Public Folder Stores, but
I'd like to use one of those Stores for a Private Store for mailboxes and
also because replication between the two servers is problematic.  (It's only
a few hundred megabytes of infrequently-used data.)

I removed the replicas for all Public Folders in the ESM (View Public
Folders) then removed replicas for Free/Busy, OAB, and Organization Forms
after right-clicking and selecting View System Folders.

Still, users showed up under the "Logons folder" for that Public Store.  I
inspected the Public Folders and Public Folder Instances folder for the
soon-to-be-decommissioned Public Store and so I then deleted the replicas
after replicating them to the other server.  Still I show users under the
Logon folder for that Public Store.  If I dismount the store, uesrs call in
with problems.  I have checked and every Private Store's default Public
Store is pointed to the other Public Store, the one I want to keep.

On the Logons folder, I see many Client Versions, like 5.0.2819.0,
10.0.0.6515, and IMAP4.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to kill off these Logons?
-Robert

0
testboxh (7)

I think that if you remove the public store entirely, the clients will get
redirected.  However, I can't guarantee that.  You might have to refresh the
profiles or recreate them completely.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Bob Bliss" <testboxh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I would like to remove a Public Folder Store from a server in my
> all-Exchange 2003 environment.  We have had two Public Folder Stores, but
> I'd like to use one of those Stores for a Private Store for mailboxes and
> also because replication between the two servers is problematic.  (It's
> only a few hundred megabytes of infrequently-used data.)
>
> I removed the replicas for all Public Folders in the ESM (View Public
> Folders) then removed replicas for Free/Busy, OAB, and Organization Forms
> after right-clicking and selecting View System Folders.
>
> Still, users showed up under the "Logons folder" for that Public Store.  I
> inspected the Public Folders and Public Folder Instances folder for the
> soon-to-be-decommissioned Public Store and so I then deleted the replicas
> after replicating them to the other server.  Still I show users under the
> Logon folder for that Public Store.  If I dismount the store, uesrs call
> in with problems.  I have checked and every Private Store's default Public
> Store is pointed to the other Public Store, the one I want to keep.
>
> On the Logons folder, I see many Client Versions, like 5.0.2819.0,
> 10.0.0.6515, and IMAP4.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to kill off these Logons?
> -Robert

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/30/2005 12:06:48 AM
One more thing to try--have a user open a public folder and see if his
session gets moved to the other server.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Bob Bliss" <testboxh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I would like to remove a Public Folder Store from a server in my
> all-Exchange 2003 environment.  We have had two Public Folder Stores, but
> I'd like to use one of those Stores for a Private Store for mailboxes and
> also because replication between the two servers is problematic.  (It's
> only a few hundred megabytes of infrequently-used data.)
>
> I removed the replicas for all Public Folders in the ESM (View Public
> Folders) then removed replicas for Free/Busy, OAB, and Organization Forms
> after right-clicking and selecting View System Folders.
>
> Still, users showed up under the "Logons folder" for that Public Store.  I
> inspected the Public Folders and Public Folder Instances folder for the
> soon-to-be-decommissioned Public Store and so I then deleted the replicas
> after replicating them to the other server.  Still I show users under the
> Logon folder for that Public Store.  If I dismount the store, uesrs call
> in with problems.  I have checked and every Private Store's default Public
> Store is pointed to the other Public Store, the one I want to keep.
>
> On the Logons folder, I see many Client Versions, like 5.0.2819.0,
> 10.0.0.6515, and IMAP4.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to kill off these Logons?
> -Robert

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/30/2005 12:07:48 AM
In the private store check wich Public Folder is default for this store. Seem
like PF store that you whoud delete is default for private store.

--
Best Regards.

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> One more thing to try--have a user open a public folder and see if his
> session gets moved to the other server.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Bob Bliss" <testboxh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I would like to remove a Public Folder Store from a server in my
> > all-Exchange 2003 environment.  We have had two Public Folder Stores, but
> > I'd like to use one of those Stores for a Private Store for mailboxes and
> > also because replication between the two servers is problematic.  (It's
> > only a few hundred megabytes of infrequently-used data.)
> >
> > I removed the replicas for all Public Folders in the ESM (View Public
> > Folders) then removed replicas for Free/Busy, OAB, and Organization Forms
> > after right-clicking and selecting View System Folders.
> >
> > Still, users showed up under the "Logons folder" for that Public Store.  I
> > inspected the Public Folders and Public Folder Instances folder for the
> > soon-to-be-decommissioned Public Store and so I then deleted the replicas
> > after replicating them to the other server.  Still I show users under the
> > Logon folder for that Public Store.  If I dismount the store, uesrs call
> > in with problems.  I have checked and every Private Store's default Public
> > Store is pointed to the other Public Store, the one I want to keep.
> >
> > On the Logons folder, I see many Client Versions, like 5.0.2819.0,
> > 10.0.0.6515, and IMAP4.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas on how to kill off these Logons?
> > -Robert

Hi Ed,
(Funny, HiEd is who my university buys a lot of their computer equipment,
short for "Higher Education").

These clients must be Outlook clients older than 2003 because I believe I
read that Outlook 2003 does not hard-code the public store in the profile
while earlier clients do.  I think that one possible fix is to
update/recreate profiles, but I did see a post somewhere about sending
emails to problem users with an attached link to public folders and the
users can then click on them.  This may redirect the users as you mention.
I'll obviously be very explicit in my email to my [paranoid] users letting
them know that the .xnk attachment is safe to click.

Thanks!
-robert

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@mvpsnospam.org> wrote in message
> One more thing to try--have a user open a public folder and see if his
> session gets moved to the other server.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Bob Bliss" <testboxh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> I would like to remove a Public Folder Store from a server in my
>> all-Exchange 2003 environment.  We have had two Public Folder Stores, but
>> I'd like to use one of those Stores for a Private Store for mailboxes and
>> also because replication between the two servers is problematic.  (It's
>> only a few hundred megabytes of infrequently-used data.)
>>
>> I removed the replicas for all Public Folders in the ESM (View Public
>> Folders) then removed replicas for Free/Busy, OAB, and Organization Forms
>> after right-clicking and selecting View System Folders.
>>
>> Still, users showed up under the "Logons folder" for that Public Store.
>> I inspected the Public Folders and Public Folder Instances folder for the
>> soon-to-be-decommissioned Public Store and so I then deleted the replicas
>> after replicating them to the other server.  Still I show users under the
>> Logon folder for that Public Store.  If I dismount the store, uesrs call
>> in with problems.  I have checked and every Private Store's default
>> Public Store is pointed to the other Public Store, the one I want to
>> keep.
>>
>> On the Logons folder, I see many Client Versions, like 5.0.2819.0,
>> 10.0.0.6515, and IMAP4.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas on how to kill off these Logons?
>> -Robert

0
testboxh (7)
8/30/2005 1:53:13 PM
My own Outlook 2003 profile does have a registry entry containing a pointer
to a public folder server.
--

> Hi Ed,
> (Funny, HiEd is who my university buys a lot of their computer equipment,
> short for "Higher Education").
>
> These clients must be Outlook clients older than 2003 because I believe I
> read that Outlook 2003 does not hard-code the public store in the profile
> while earlier clients do.  I think that one possible fix is to
> update/recreate profiles, but I did see a post somewhere about sending
> emails to problem users with an attached link to public folders and the
> users can then click on them.  This may redirect the users as you mention.
> I'll obviously be very explicit in my email to my [paranoid] users letting
> them know that the .xnk attachment is safe to click.
>
> Thanks!
> -robert
>
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@mvpsnospam.org> wrote in message
>> One more thing to try--have a user open a public folder and see if his
>> session gets moved to the other server.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "Bob Bliss" <testboxh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>> I would like to remove a Public Folder Store from a server in my
>>> all-Exchange 2003 environment.  We have had two Public Folder Stores,
>>> but I'd like to use one of those Stores for a Private Store for
>>> mailboxes and also because replication between the two servers is
>>> problematic.  (It's only a few hundred megabytes of infrequently-used
>>> data.)
>>>
>>> I removed the replicas for all Public Folders in the ESM (View Public
>>> Folders) then removed replicas for Free/Busy, OAB, and Organization
>>> Forms after right-clicking and selecting View System Folders.
>>>
>>> Still, users showed up under the "Logons folder" for that Public Store.
>>> I inspected the Public Folders and Public Folder Instances folder for
>>> the soon-to-be-decommissioned Public Store and so I then deleted the
>>> replicas after replicating them to the other server.  Still I show users
>>> under the Logon folder for that Public Store.  If I dismount the store,
>>> uesrs call in with problems.  I have checked and every Private Store's
>>> default Public Store is pointed to the other Public Store, the one I
>>> want to keep.
>>>
>>> On the Logons folder, I see many Client Versions, like 5.0.2819.0,
>>> 10.0.0.6515, and IMAP4.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any ideas on how to kill off these Logons?
>>> -Robert

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/30/2005 6:35:11 PM
Well,
I sent an .xnk file ("eXchange liNK"?) to a public folder to one of the
culprits (er, co-workers) still using the old Public Folder Store.  He
clicked on it and was still showing up as logged in to the old server.  I
asked him to get out of Outlook and get back in and he was no longer showing
up as connected to the old Public Store.  Now, however, he is showing up
again as logged in to that Store.

Do I need to do the equivalent of a DS/IS consistency check or something?
Are there other places where you can specify replicas?  I've checked
everywhere I know of.

-robert

"Bob Bliss" <testboxh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Ed,
> (Funny, HiEd is who my university buys a lot of their computer equipment,
> short for "Higher Education").
>
> These clients must be Outlook clients older than 2003 because I believe I
> read that Outlook 2003 does not hard-code the public store in the profile
> while earlier clients do.  I think that one possible fix is to
> update/recreate profiles, but I did see a post somewhere about sending
> emails to problem users with an attached link to public folders and the
> users can then click on them.  This may redirect the users as you mention.
> I'll obviously be very explicit in my email to my [paranoid] users letting
> them know that the .xnk attachment is safe to click.
>
> Thanks!
> -robert

0
testboxh (7)
8/30/2005 10:21:08 PM
Well, after talking to Microsoft (India...) for over a week off-and-on, we
decided to simply delete the Public Store.  MS had provided a tool that
would move users to another store, but it only worked for Outlook XP.  We
would of had to run it or at least put it in the login script for many
desktops and that wouldn't have fixed everyone.

Anyway, there was little fall-out from just deleting the store.  We got no
calls.  My co-worker found a reference to the public store on the "bad"
server (alongside the good one) buried in AD and we figured we could either
remove this reference or delete the store and that would remove it cleanly.
It sure seems to have worked.

-Bob

0
testboxh (7)

Message From Field in Folder
When viewing the list of my new messages, is there a way to see the email address of the sender instead of the alias before I open it? In the From column I see "John". When I open the email I see "John <john@johnsemail.com>". I want to see the "john@johnsemail.com" before I open it so I can tell the difference between emails from "Microsoft Support <yourfu@edifyouopenedthis.com>" and "Microsoft Support <someguywhosreally@microsoft.com>" I am currently using outlook 2002 and 2003 alternately based on my mood. Mike If you ...

Your logon information was incorrect
I have the following error when connecting from Outlook 2002, running on XP Pro, connecting to an Exchange 2000 server. "Your logon information was incorrect. Check your username and domain, then type your password again. If your account is new or if your administrator requested a password change you need to click Change Password then logon with your new password." I found the following information in the MS Knowledge Base - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=kb;en-us;321652 I tried the suggested registry changes but still have the same problem. I can succes...

Moving Emails to a Public Folder
Hi, I have Exchange 2003 automatically forwarding anything sent to several email addresses to one public folder. The problem is that these items appear in the public folder with the "Posted To:" field, but not the "To:" field, so we don't know which email address it was sent to (without looking in the headers). When you reply, the original email in the body still only references the public folder "Posted To:" field, and not the email address it was originally sent to. Is there a way to change this behavior so the "To:" field is displayed? If not,...

Modal Dialog OnCancel removes SC_CLOSE
Hello, I have an app with an modal dialog in which I have removed the default cancel behaviour by creating an empty OnCancel(). Now I can't close the dialog using the SC_CLOSE (Red-X in upper right corner) Why and how can I remove ending the dialoq by pressing Esc but still be able to close the dialog by clicking on the Red-X[1] // Anders -- English is not my first, or second, language so anything strange, or insulting, is due to the translation. Please correct me so I may improve my English! [1] if someone has a official name for this button I would be grateful! Anders Eriksson s...

Removing hyperlinks in Excel by multiplying by 1 is very obtuse
I just followed the Excel help directions for "Remove a hyperlink" -> "Deactivate several hyperlinks at once". And while the directions work (multiplying each field by 1), they strike me an obscure work around to a rather obvious missing feature. It should be easy to remove hyperlinks from text in Excel, especially because Excel is very agressive about auto-creating hyperlinks when any text that resembles a web address is entered. Hopefully this missing feature will be addressed in the next verison of Excel. Hi post your suggestion to: mswish@microsoft.com -- Reg...

Need to remove help compile in project
Can someone tell me how to remove the help build process from a project? Thanks What does this mean? You want to remove part of the build? If yes, just remove those files from project. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "mike" <nospamplease.com> wrote in message news:%236ooDIkGHHA.1468@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Can someone tell me how to remove the help build process from a project? > Thanks > > I've tried removing the help files but when I build, the help compiler is still invoked. The project show a couple of .rtf files in the dependenc...

EXCH2003 - OWA
In our organization, we have a master contact list as Contacts in our public folders. In OWA we can see and get access to those contacts, but when you double-click on a contact card, the button to send email to this contact is grey-ed out. The contacts associated with my mailbox has that option available. any thoughts???? ???????? ...

Outlook 2003 Add-in: Personal Folders Backup uninstall problem
Hello techie nerds out there Help! I am trying to uninstall this utility to reinstall it on another desktop on the same machine. It seems you can only run this utility on one desktop? Running windows XP pro and Outlook 2002 The programme does not show up in the Add/Remove programme window in the Control Panel. Many, many thanks Paul Paul Allen <ict@wandsworthvb.org.uk> wrote: > I am trying to uninstall this utility to reinstall it on > another desktop on the same machine. It seems you can only > run this utility on one desktop? Doesn't seem to be the case here. ...

Remove records from lookup
Not sure if this is possible but I would like to remove all records except the account records from the look up records dropdown menu of the appointment entity. The associated schema is regardingobjectid and the label is regarding. I see the other entities listed under relationships but there is no option to delete. Is there a way to create a new lookup and have it added to my appointment form? Thanks. There is no supported way to change this. The system is setup to allow you to set appointments that are related to specific records (Opportunities, Quotes, Cases, etc) and it will then ro...

Removing an exchange server member
I have a 2000 exch backend and a 2003 exch frontend setup. The front end hard disk just recently died. And so was not correctly un installed from AD. There are still elements of exchange hanging around. For instance, in the system manager. But the system manager wont let me delete the front end server under the first administrative group. Do i have to use adsiedit to remove this or is there a much simplier way. Cheers Paul To my best knowledge, it adsiedit. "Yakeni" <Yakeni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B352B981-F5B7-4527-8A48-04E3976C99D9@microsoft.c...

Search folders Otlk-2003 don't work?
I create a new search folder in OUtlook folder with the criteria, "mail to and from certain people". And then I choose a person from the list. The email address for that person has always been the same. However the search folder only comes up with mail I have SENT to that person, not mail they have sent to me. Whats with that? thanks... jf ...

New Import Utility for RMS Store Ops and HQ!
Just a post to advise RMS users and partners that we have just released a new import utility for RMS. It works with both HQ and SO and allows importing of items only, but does allow for changes and updates. Priced at US $495 or GBP £275 for end users. Reseller discounts are available If you are interested please email me at rod@rsgplc.com with the subject RSG Import Utility Rod Barlow Retail Systems Group PLC (Microsft RMS Reseller UK) ...

Understanding Rehoming Public Folders
Hey guys, need some clarification. Under Exchange 5.5 I have public folders replicating to Exchange 2003. The home server option to rehome the public folder under 5.5, by changing this to point to the 2003 server, it won't remove it from the 5.5 server will it?? you should read the article written by William Boswell Great approach http://msexchange911.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=32&topic=204.0 oz -- Best regards, Good Luck Oz Ozugurlu ____________________________ MCSE 2003 M+,S+, CCNA Http://www.msexchange911.org Http://www.consultusa.us (Blog) "Mike" wr...

Why is Outlook 2003 synchronizing folders from a PoP email account!
I have one internet email account. No Exchange. I loaded Outlook 2003 3 days ago. All of a sudden. Today, it is synchronizing my folders. It takes forever and seems to be in some kind of a loop. 2 hours and still no email downloaded. Let the games begin, again. Another product from Microsoft with major bugs right out of the shoot. SP1 ready yet? Any Microsoft employees here care to tell me how to disable the synchronization of my folders to other folders that don't exist? Do you care to tell us what options you selected before shooting off your opinions about Microsoft???? --� Milly S...

Add a nwe mail folder with new email address
I want to add a new folder within the mail area in Outlook 2003. opened up an additional email account with my IP and want that email t go to a seperate main folder in outlook. Under All Mail Folders I'v got Personal Folders and Hotmail as root folders in the area. I wan to add another root folder for my new email only. Thank you, Crai ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Apart from special accounts like HTTP and IMAP when you collect POP3 then all mess...

email defaults to personal folder
Hello we have run into a new problem at my work. About 5 new people started recently and the all tried to open their email accounts before they were properly setup. Because no server was entered they now have a top folder called "Personal Folders". What we have been doing to fix the situation is to right click on the outlook icon choose > properties > email accounts > Add a new email account. This method then adds the user's mailbox to outlook. The problem however is that we have lost old calendar information as well as the mail defaults to the personal folder ...

Exchange GAL to Local COntacts Folder Export Script

only administrators can logon into OWA
About: Win2003 and Exchange2003 I know that there were already several posts concerning this issue, but I couldn't find a working solution; perhaps my issue doesn't fit the existing ones. First I had the "Loading" screen after login (any user) but it was a SSL problem and now it's fixed. Now OWA works but only for the Administrators group members; if I add any user to this group, immediately he is able to look his mail via OWA and if I remove him not. I tried to grant "log on locally" on the DC/Exchange Server, but it doesn't work. The SMTP serviced by ...

Outlook 2000
I'm having a strange Outlook issue and cannot figure it out for the life of me. Our mail server is Exchange 5.5 (can't recall the SP right now), and the Client is Outlook 2000 SR-1. The user can view his primary email box without any troubles, but also has access to another Exchange email box. He can view every folder in it except the Sent Items. The error it returns is "Unable to display the folder". What's strange is he can view the subfolder in Sent Items, no problem. I've configured his email on a different PC, and everything shows up fine, so I know ...

4 page publication onto a website
I am trying to put a 4 page publication on to the website so that it can be opened by people who don't have publisher. I managed to do it last month but for can't remember how I did it. When I convert it to a web page it only shows the first page of the publication. Last months issue, when I checked back is a mht.doc but I don't know how I converted the publisher document to this. Can anyone help please? How about converting the Publisher file to a PDF. This way more visitors will have the capability to view it. Many folks here recommend the free primopdf which can be ...

Emails diverted to Drafts folder
Windows Mail: I'm seeing incoming mail going into the Drafts folder, and outgoing mail saved to the Drafts folder. Not all mail, but a lot of it. The same is happening in Windows 7 with Live Mail using a POP3 ISP account, not Hotmail. On the computers on which I've seen it, it's a relatively recent problem that didn't exist before. Possibly related to some Windows Update? I have some very irritated people badgering me about this and just can't find an answer. Any light on the subject would be warmly welcomed. -- Anna I have not heard of this particular pro...

view multiple public calendars
We have seven public folders set up as calendar for room appointments. How can we view them side by side as shared calendars? The only way I can think of implementing this is to set up 7 user accounts and share their calendars. -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com version of outlook? if 2003 or 2007, add them to the public folder favorites and they'll be in the calendar list. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipst...

Public Folder Permissions #36
I need to take ownership of several calender based public folders. I apologize as to the lack of skill here. I have just been handed this job and I am trying to do the best I can. Any and all help would be most appreciated. Thanks Open Exchange system manager, expand admin groups, folder public folder. Locate the folder, properties, permissions, client permissions, add yourself as owner. James Chong (MVP) MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+ msexchangetips.blogspot.com On Apr 17, 12:32 pm, James <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need to take ownership of several calender...

How do I remove a hidden space in Excel cells
Not sure if this is an Excel or Word problem... I am doing a mail merge in Word (envelopes). I am pulling my data (name, address, cit/state/zip) from an Excel .xls I created. In mail merge, I select envelopes and go through all the steps. I use the Address Block for the delivery address. However, when it pulls the data over, the name line (first line of address block) is indented by one space. No matter what I do (place cursor at indent and use backspace or place cursor at next two correct lines and add a space), the change doesn't take place. I've checked all the tabs as...

public procedures
how can i create a public procedure, which can be used by different macros in the same workbooks? thanks Hi access within ONE workbook: Just put your procedure in a standard module of this workbook: public sub foo() '... end sub -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > how can i create a public procedure, which can be used by > different macros in the same workbooks? > thanks ...