Viewing other's peoples Calendars/Inbox with OWA

Hi all -

I found this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257889

However, we are using Windows 2003 AD with Exchange 2003 SP1 (single
server).

I found a SERIOUS error with this link in the KB article:

http://virtual_server_name/exchange/username/calendar

Anyone in our organization can use the above link to check ANYONE'S EMAIL,
or CALENDAR, even if that calendar or email is set up to not share.

How do I fix this?

Thanks all!

-Blake

0
galvanon (77)

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:36:34 -0400, "Galvanon"
<galvanon@online.nospam> wrote:

>Hi all -
>
>I found this article:
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257889
>
>However, we are using Windows 2003 AD with Exchange 2003 SP1 (single
>server).
>
>I found a SERIOUS error with this link in the KB article:
>
>http://virtual_server_name/exchange/username/calendar
>
>Anyone in our organization can use the above link to check ANYONE'S EMAIL,
>or CALENDAR, even if that calendar or email is set up to not share.
>
>How do I fix this?
>
>Thanks all!
>
>-Blake

Put simply, you have the security on your mailboxes set incorrectly.
Properly configured it doesn't let you into a folder unless you have
permissions on it.

Review the security and group membership of the mail attributes on the
account. You clearly have a misconfiguration.

0
mark7219 (5666)
7/11/2005 6:10:36 PM
Mark,

I don't see the issue.  When I go into my Outlook, and I right-click on my
Calendar, and click on Sharing, all I have is:

Default:  None
Anonymous:  None

But when anyone else uses that link:

http://virtual_server_name/exchange/username/calendar

they can see all of my calendar info.

> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:36:34 -0400, "Galvanon"
> <galvanon@online.nospam> wrote:
>
>>Hi all -
>>
>>I found this article:
>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257889
>>
>>However, we are using Windows 2003 AD with Exchange 2003 SP1 (single
>>server).
>>
>>I found a SERIOUS error with this link in the KB article:
>>
>>http://virtual_server_name/exchange/username/calendar
>>
>>Anyone in our organization can use the above link to check ANYONE'S EMAIL,
>>or CALENDAR, even if that calendar or email is set up to not share.
>>
>>How do I fix this?
>>
>>Thanks all!
>>
>>-Blake
>>

> Put simply, you have the security on your mailboxes set incorrectly.
> Properly configured it doesn't let you into a folder unless you have
> permissions on it.
>
> Review the security and group membership of the mail attributes on the
> account. You clearly have a misconfiguration.

0
galvanon (77)
7/11/2005 7:06:54 PM
Mark,

I don't see the issue.  When I go into my Outlook, and I right-click on my
Calendar, and click on Sharing, all I have is:

Default:  None
Anonymous:  None

But when anyone else uses that link:

http://virtual_server_name/exchange/username/calendar

they can see all of my calendar info.

> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:36:34 -0400, "Galvanon"
> <galvanon@online.nospam> wrote:
>
>>Hi all -
>>
>>I found this article:
>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257889
>>
>>However, we are using Windows 2003 AD with Exchange 2003 SP1 (single
>>server).
>>
>>I found a SERIOUS error with this link in the KB article:
>>
>>http://virtual_server_name/exchange/username/calendar
>>
>>Anyone in our organization can use the above link to check ANYONE'S EMAIL,
>>or CALENDAR, even if that calendar or email is set up to not share.
>>
>>How do I fix this?
>>
>>Thanks all!
>>
>>-Blake
>>

> Put simply, you have the security on your mailboxes set incorrectly.
> Properly configured it doesn't let you into a folder unless you have
> permissions on it.
>
> Review the security and group membership of the mail attributes on the
> account. You clearly have a misconfiguration.

0
galvanon (77)
7/11/2005 7:07:18 PM
What permissions are on your mailbox?  Using ADU&C, right-click your
account, select Properties, Exchange Advanced tab, Mailbox Rights, what do
you see?  A group that shouldn't be there perhaps?  If it's an inherited
permissions setting, you've got something seriously set wrong.  Also look at
rights on the stores.
--
Ed Crowley
Celebrating a decade of Exchange peer support

"Galvanon" <galvanon@online.nospam> wrote in message
> Mark,
>
> I don't see the issue.  When I go into my Outlook, and I right-click on my
> Calendar, and click on Sharing, all I have is:
>
> Default:  None
> Anonymous:  None
>

> But when anyone else uses that link:
>
> http://virtual_server_name/exchange/username/calendar
>
> they can see all of my calendar info.
>

> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:36:34 -0400, "Galvanon"
>> <galvanon@online.nospam> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all -
>>>
>>>I found this article:
>>>
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257889
>>>
>>>However, we are using Windows 2003 AD with Exchange 2003 SP1 (single
>>>server).
>>>
>>>I found a SERIOUS error with this link in the KB article:
>>>
>>>http://virtual_server_name/exchange/username/calendar
>>>
>>>Anyone in our organization can use the above link to check ANYONE'S
>>>EMAIL,
>>>or CALENDAR, even if that calendar or email is set up to not share.
>>>
>>>How do I fix this?
>>>
>>>Thanks all!
>>>
>>>-Blake
>>>

>> Put simply, you have the security on your mailboxes set incorrectly.
>> Properly configured it doesn't let you into a folder unless you have
>> permissions on it.
>>
>> Review the security and group membership of the mail attributes on the
>> account. You clearly have a misconfiguration.

Good morning Ed --

Well, it then appears that I have something seriously wrong (and I think my
jr NetAdmin did it!)

When I look at a mailbox, I do see inherited permissions.  Here are the
funky inherited permissions I'm seeing under ADU&C, Exchange
Advanced/Mailbox Rights ---

Useraccount:                                Inherited Permissions:

ANONYMOUS LOGON           Read Permissions

DOMAIN USERS:                        Read, Change, TAke Ownership, Full
Mailbox Access

 EVERYONE:                            Read Permissions

So, where are these permissions inherited from?

Thanks again!

-Blake

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in message
> What permissions are on your mailbox?  Using ADU&C, right-click your
> account, select Properties, Exchange Advanced tab, Mailbox Rights, what do
> you see?  A group that shouldn't be there perhaps?  If it's an inherited
> permissions setting, you've got something seriously set wrong.  Also look
> at rights on the stores.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> Celebrating a decade of Exchange peer support
>

> "Galvanon" <galvanon@online.nospam> wrote in message
>> Mark,
>>
>> I don't see the issue.  When I go into my Outlook, and I right-click on
>> my Calendar, and click on Sharing, all I have is:
>>
>> Default:  None
>> Anonymous:  None
>>

>> But when anyone else uses that link:
>>
>> http://virtual_server_name/exchange/username/calendar
>>
>> they can see all of my calendar info.
>>

>> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in message

>>> Put simply, you have the security on your mailboxes set incorrectly.
>>> Properly configured it doesn't let you into a folder unless you have
>>> permissions on it.
>>>
>>> Review the security and group membership of the mail attributes on the
>>> account. You clearly have a misconfiguration.

0
galvanon (77)
7/12/2005 2:13:35 PM
ah, nothing like DOMAIN USERS having full mailbox access to everything. You
may want to look at what else your jr Admin has added the that group. The
rights get inherited from the OU (folder) they are in (ex: Users) in Active
Directory so you need to look at what rights are set on that particular
"folder". You may want to do some testing with a normal DOMAIN USER account
to see what else has been "given away".

> Good morning Ed --
>
> Well, it then appears that I have something seriously wrong (and I think
my
> jr NetAdmin did it!)
>
> When I look at a mailbox, I do see inherited permissions.  Here are the
> funky inherited permissions I'm seeing under ADU&C, Exchange
> Advanced/Mailbox Rights ---
>
> Useraccount:                                Inherited Permissions:
>
> ANONYMOUS LOGON           Read Permissions
>
> DOMAIN USERS:                        Read, Change, TAke Ownership, Full
> Mailbox Access
>
>  EVERYONE:                            Read Permissions
>

> So, where are these permissions inherited from?
>
> Thanks again!
>
> -Blake
>

> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in message
> > What permissions are on your mailbox?  Using ADU&C, right-click your
> > account, select Properties, Exchange Advanced tab, Mailbox Rights, what
do
> > you see?  A group that shouldn't be there perhaps?  If it's an inherited
> > permissions setting, you've got something seriously set wrong.  Also
look
> > at rights on the stores.
> > --
> > Ed Crowley
> > Celebrating a decade of Exchange peer support
> >

> > "Galvanon" <galvanon@online.nospam> wrote in message
> >> Mark,
> >>
> >> I don't see the issue.  When I go into my Outlook, and I right-click on
> >> my Calendar, and click on Sharing, all I have is:
> >>
> >> Default:  None
> >> Anonymous:  None
> >>

> >> But when anyone else uses that link:
> >>
> >> http://virtual_server_name/exchange/username/calendar
> >>
> >> they can see all of my calendar info.
> >>

> >> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in message

0
Steve
7/12/2005 5:50:16 PM
For the future knowledge of this thread:

Somehow I had Domain Users added to the Server object permissions in ESM.
Once removed, my problem with accessing other people's email stopped!

Thanks all!

"Steve Carr" <scarrNOSPAMbastyr.edu> wrote in message
> ah, nothing like DOMAIN USERS having full mailbox access to everything.
> You
> may want to look at what else your jr Admin has added the that group. The
> rights get inherited from the OU (folder) they are in (ex: Users) in
> Active
> Directory so you need to look at what rights are set on that particular
> "folder". You may want to do some testing with a normal DOMAIN USER
> account
> to see what else has been "given away".
>
> "Galvanon" <galvanon@online.nospam> wrote in message
>> Good morning Ed --
>>
>> Well, it then appears that I have something seriously wrong (and I think
> my
>> jr NetAdmin did it!)
>>
>> When I look at a mailbox, I do see inherited permissions.  Here are the
>> funky inherited permissions I'm seeing under ADU&C, Exchange
>> Advanced/Mailbox Rights ---
>>
>> Useraccount:                                Inherited Permissions:
>>
>> ANONYMOUS LOGON           Read Permissions
>>
>> DOMAIN USERS:                        Read, Change, TAke Ownership, Full
>> Mailbox Access
>>
>>  EVERYONE:                            Read Permissions
>>

>> So, where are these permissions inherited from?
>>
>> Thanks again!
>>
>> -Blake
>>

>> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> > What permissions are on your mailbox?  Using ADU&C, right-click your
>> > account, select Properties, Exchange Advanced tab, Mailbox Rights, what
> do
>> > you see?  A group that shouldn't be there perhaps?  If it's an
>> > inherited
>> > permissions setting, you've got something seriously set wrong.  Also
> look
>> > at rights on the stores.
>> > --
>> > Ed Crowley
>> > Celebrating a decade of Exchange peer support
>> >

>> > "Galvanon" <galvanon@online.nospam> wrote in message

0
galvanon (77)

OWA username missing one character.
I got a very strange thing that when a user want to change password through OWA, he need to enter domain, username, old and new password. But for username textbox, one character of user's name is missing. For example, if the username is ivan, it only display "van" , "i" is missing, user need to re-type his username and change password function is worked. But Why it happened? ...

Help: Shortcut for editing a calendar series
When I want to edit an entire series of calendar events, I have to go through the annoying 'do you want to edit this occurrence or the entire series' dialog. Does anyone know if there is a keyboard or mouse/key combination that opens the series for editing without the dialog? Thanks for an advice. You'll only have to deal with the dialogue once if you want to "open the series for editing..." So I don't understand your question. What are you trying to do? Edit each separate occurence or "edit an entire series of calendar events" Judy Gleeson MVP...

combining multiple calendars in Outlook 2007
Hi i have multiple calendars in outlook 2007. Any idea how I can combine the information into one single calendar? Thanks - Pete Open the Calendar you wish to copy, Change the Calendar view to By Category. Select the items you wish to copy to the main calendar, right click and drag to the main calendar in the left task pane. Drop and select COPY. The items will be copied to the main calendar. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web si...

Problems with Windows Live Calendar
I wanted to see if there is something that can be done about this problem. I have a hotmail.com account and email. I have added a POP3 Email Account and made the POP3 Email Account the default email account. Emails can be send and received as if I was responding from my POP3 Account. For my hotmail calendar, if I send out a meeting invite, it goes from my hotmail account, even though, on my account I have made my POP3 account as the default email address to send and receive emails. Any ideas what can be done. Regards Invites can only be sent from the web interface(ca...

Personal Calendar / Public Calendar Synch
Is there a way to synch a user's personal calendar with a public calendar. I need to replicate that data. I would look at www.slipstick.com On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 13:14:02 -0700, "CB" <chadb@dentistryonline.com> wrote: >Is there a way to synch a user's personal calendar with a public calendar. > >I need to replicate that data. > CB, there is no way to do this within Exchange 2000/2003. Look for Third party utilities. "Andy David - Exchange MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message news:cu32c0p2maq48204jod8f4b12ibk209...

Pushing Out Inbox Rule
We have Excange 5.5 SP4 and our users are using Outlook 2000. Is there any way to somehow push out or distribute a rule to everyone. We would like the rule to move any inbound message containing certain text in the subject to a separate folder. Thanks, Kurt I think this can be done by (spam)filters on the server itself. Distributing client rules this way is hard to manage and the users can deactivate, remove or delete the rule themself. -- Roady www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Pictures of BILL...

OWA with SSL question
Hello, I have build OWA server to Exchange 5.5 SP4, when I have login to the outlook I have not see there the lock and not get to https I have got the authentication negotiation for user and password but it goes thru port 80 not 443. How I can change it to work with SSL? Thanks in advanced. You have to set the requirements for SSL on the IIS virtual dir, and/or pages.. and have the appropriate keys intalled for IIS. It does not automagically redirect connections to the default http://server/exchange virutal to httpS://server/exchange that is up to you to enforce. "news.mic...

Any free excel downloads so I can edit my files, not view only?
I can only view excel files, can't edit them. I'm unable to contact the person that originally saved the files that I need to edit. I recently had my computer reformatted and now I can't edit my excel files. I have microsoft office XP. I could only find a excel viewer on the site to download and that's not working for what I need. Please help me! My Best, Rita Hi Rita Office XP should, unless deselected in a silly custom install , contain Excel XP. Which is not only a very capable, but in most instances the most preferred, piece of software to edit Excel files. Plea...

Calendar #10
Is there any way of putting your outlook calendar on a website? ...

OWA comma or semicolumn in address lists
Using OWA (Exchange Server 2003), we would like our users to be able to use the comma as address separators when typing addresses. Before we launch our Exchange, we would like to resolve that issue. "Normal" Outllook behaviour is to allow the comma as well as the semicolumn. It's the user's choice. Outlook than sends it out using commas (int'l standard). But OWA does not offer that choice out of the box. Is there a way to configure Exchange 2003 to act in the same manner? At the vert least, how can we remove the semicolumn and replace it with a comma? On M...

Sharing an inbox...

How do you add events on others Outlook calendar?
I want to send a distribution email that has several events on different dates. Can Outlook auto-populate different dates on different recipients Outlook calendars? Thanks, Steve "sporto2" <sporto2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C8084A36-8441-4987-B9FB-363A94C47D66@microsoft.com... >I want to send a distribution email that has several events on different >dates. > Can Outlook auto-populate different dates on different recipients Outlook > calendars? If you send an event request, it will be added to the recipients' calendars...

HOW CAN I VIEW MY OPENED DATA. IT'S OPENED BUT DOESN'T APPEAR
I was workign with my data when it went off from the screan. Main while it shows that it's opened. I tried to print it and it printed but still can't see it on the screan. Please I need help. How were you viewing it? In a table or query or report? "yaw" wrote: > I was workign with my data when it went off from the screan. Main while it > shows that it's opened. I tried to print it and it printed but still can't > see it on the screan. Please I need help. ...

Count the number of times a worksheet is viewed
Is there a simple macro that will show how many times a worksheet (not workbook) has been viewed? Thanks. Michael You could use a worksheet_activate event to add a number to a cell each time. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com <MichaelRLanier@gmail.com> wrote in message news:53dc5190-1c16-45e9-837d-7fd6c129077f@v38g2000yqb.googlegroups.com... > Is there a simple macro that will show how many times a worksheet (not > workbook) has been viewed? Thanks. > > Michael Right click the worksheet tab, select 'View Code', c...

OWA in mixed mode 5.5 and 2003 organization
Hi I have a mixed mode organization. 2 Exchange 5.5 SP4 servers and 2 Exchange 2003 servers. I instaled a Exchange 2003 front-end server in my DMZ so my external user can connect using OWA, but it's only working for Exchange 2003 users. Exchange 5.5 users gets the error : "HTTP/1.0 503 Service Unavailable" Is there any way I can publish OWA for Exchange 5.5 users in my Exchange 2003 front-end server? Thanks Isaac No, accessing a 5.5 server through a 2003 Front-end is not supported. -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Exchange MVP www.exchangetrainer.com www.msexchange.org &quo...

Money 2003
Hi, I'm using Money 2003, and when I'm in Portfolio view, I can't seem to add the column Average Cost Per Share. It appeared at one time, and then it dissapeared. I tried to customize it, and Average Cost Per Share doesn't seem to be an available option any more. Does anyone know how to restore it? Thanks! Darrell Hello, This option is in 2004 as well, Go to Portfolio Under Common Tasks go to See a different view Click customize current view then Portfolio Columns then find and add "Average Cost" The description read as follows: The Average cost per shar...

Help - Error Message When Executing a View
In Access 2007, when I set up a View to query some fields and then delete some of the fields from the query I get an error message. For example, I set up a View in Access 2007 to return columns X, Y and Z, as shown below: SELECT col_X, col_Y, col_Z FROM dbo.Sales I then successfully executed the query. I then removed columns X and Y from the View so that the query would only return Z as shown below: SELECT col_Z FROM dbo.Sales When I executed the View, I got a Microsoft Access error message that said "Cannot find column 'X'". So, I addedd column X back to th...

How do I view old appointmens in my calendar.
I'm trying to view old appointments in my calendar but it only shows activity for the past 10 months. How can I see what I did a year ago or more? Are you using autoarchive to clean up the old appointments? If so, you need to open the archive. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LS...

Shared Calendar #3
Can someone let me know if this is possible? Can you make a shared calendar automatically open by default? Whenever my users go into their calendars they have to check the check box next to our shared group calendar. I would really like it if this could pop up by default. We are using outlook 2003. Thanks. No. It's a much requested enhancement. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com...

Blank Screen Displays instead of View/Table
We installed Project Professional (2003) on a laptop. When we go into Project on that laptop, we are able to see only the tool bars & menus. I believe the problem is somehow related to the tables. When I go into the View Menu, and select More Tables, the expanded Tables menu is greyed out and contains only "No tables available" and "More Tables". Has anyone seen this b4? How did you correct it? Thanks, Hi Jim, Have you activated the installation? Any error messages? Are you connected to a project server? Julie Project MVP Visit http...

Viewing Sent Items in Exchange Admin MMC?
Is there any way [download, another snap-in, etc] to view Sent Items from the Exchange MMC? In the Mailboxes window, you can see Deleted Items, Total Items, Size... but no Sent Items. This would be very helpful, as we have many user accounts that have mailboxes that have never sent any mail at all. Thanks! On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 12:14:02 -0700, "AK..." <AK...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there any way [download, another snap-in, etc] to view Sent Items from the >Exchange MMC? In the Mailboxes window, you can see Deleted Items, Total >Items, Size... but ...

When viewing in 'Print Layout' mode, suddenly displays 2 pages per window
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel For some reason, I have two pages displayed side by side in window while in Print Layout, when it used to be just one. I prefer to have just one page at a time. How do I make it show only one page in Print Layout without having to select the navigation pane (thumbnail)? Have you tried changing the Zoom? Either on the Standard Toolbar or in the View> Zoom dialog. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 1/13/10 2:51 AM, in article 59bb0cec.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "JESRotunno@officef...

Outlook 2007 Losing Folder View Settings
I think I've found a legitimate bug, but I haven't been able to find any reference to it online anywhere. Seemingly at random, Outlook 2007 is losing the VIEW > CURRENT VIEW setting I've applied (which, in this case is HIDE MESSAGES MARKED FOR DELETION) to my IMAP account. After using Outlook for several hours with everything working fine, I'll delete an email and rather than making it vanish it will show up grayed out and with a line through it - meaning it's been marked for deletion, but not hidden as it's supposed to be. If I look under the CURRENT VIEW se...

OWA and Exchange 2003
Hi, We currently have an Exchange 5.5 server "inside" our network and our OWA server on the DMZ. It all works well, but we are moving to Exhange 2003 soon and I wondered what is the best setup for OWA? Do we: 1.) Put Exchange 2003 and OWA on the same server "inside" the network or on the DMZ? 2.) Do we put Exchange 2003 Enterprise back-end "inside" and a Exchange 2003 Standard on the DMZ with OWA on it? 3.) What is the microsoft or best solution? Thanks for your time Andy AW wrote: > Hi, We currently have an Exchange 5.5 server "inside" ...

Public Calendar entries corrupt
SBS 2000 with Exchange 2000. Random Public Calendar entries cannot be re-opened, cannot be deleted, cannot be copied, cannot be moved. Many entries that were good in the past suddenly become affected and will not re-open. Most new entries become affected and will not re-open after creation. The Public Store as a whole is not corrupt, mounts fine, all else works great. Does not affect Public Contacts and other folders, only Public Calendar. KEY NOTE: Started after install of GFIMailEssentials and GFIMailSecurity. I can uninstall the GFI, but how do I clean out the corrupt Public Calendar en...