viewing a user's email account

I have been charged with reviewing a user's email activity / mailbox for a
possible impropriety. Is there a way to do this from exchange, or better yet
what is the best way to accomplish this steathfuly?
0
Rossel1 (2)

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:20:02 -0700, Rossel1
<Rossel1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have been charged with reviewing a user's email activity / mailbox for a
>possible impropriety. Is there a way to do this from exchange, or better yet
>what is the best way to accomplish this steathfuly?

I really hope that the users' employment contract provides for this
intrusion. Go to www.ivasoft.biz and get SelectiveJournaling. You'll
need to pay for it but if the managers want you to do it then they
will obviously pay whatever it takes.
0
mark7219 (5666)
10/24/2006 7:05:03 AM
> I really hope that the users' employment contract provides for this
> intrusion.
First off, when a user is on my company computer and my company mail server,
there's no intrusion if I want to look at their mail.  Any user who has any
expectation of privacy at any time at work is mistaken. Period.

That said... if it is only one user, go configure Journaling on the mailbox
store where the user's mailbox is homed so you can capture messages going
forward. That lets you see 'em even if they delete their mail. All users on
the journal-enabled mail store will have their mail copied into the journal
mailbox.

Then use exmerge on the server to copy (not in archive mode!) the user's
mailbox in its current state to a .pst file that you can review at your
leisure. Make sure you check the deleted items folder...

Going forward, there are a lot of third-party solutions. I work at a large
financial house and we use Veritas Enterprise Vault, for data size
management and for compliance/discovery. We like it. It took a long time to
learn it but now that I know how to manage it I totally recommend it. It
aint cheap but considering we started out with about 4.2 TB mail in about 60
stores across about 5 servers and we offloaded a bunch of that to secondary
SAN storage, our mail stores in Exchange are now down to about 150GB total
which is dreamy.

0
nospam816 (21)
10/24/2006 6:59:18 PM
On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 14:59:18 -0400, "Samantha B." <nospam@myisp.com>
wrote:

>> I really hope that the users' employment contract provides for this
>> intrusion.
>First off, when a user is on my company computer and my company mail server,
>there's no intrusion if I want to look at their mail.  Any user who has any
>expectation of privacy at any time at work is mistaken. Period.

That depends on what you are looking for, how it is accomplished, the
company, the country and the applicable laws, etc... Your statement is
way too broad.

>That said... if it is only one user, go configure Journaling on the mailbox
>store where the user's mailbox is homed so you can capture messages going
>forward. That lets you see 'em even if they delete their mail. All users on
>the journal-enabled mail store will have their mail copied into the journal
>mailbox.

And then you have to sort or filter through thousands of emails? No
thanks. Move the specific mailbox to a server or specific store that
is configured to journal or use something like :
http://www.ivasoft.biz/sj.shtml

>Then use exmerge on the server to copy (not in archive mode!) the user's
>mailbox in its current state to a .pst file that you can review at your
>leisure. Make sure you check the deleted items folder...

If I am journaling, why exmerge? Since Exmerge provides only a
snapshot, the potential to miss alot of mail should be considered.

>Going forward, there are a lot of third-party solutions. I work at a large
>financial house and we use Veritas Enterprise Vault, for data size
>management and for compliance/discovery. We like it. It took a long time to
>learn it but now that I know how to manage it I totally recommend it. It
>aint cheap but considering we started out with about 4.2 TB mail in about 60
>stores across about 5 servers and we offloaded a bunch of that to secondary
>SAN storage, our mail stores in Exchange are now down to about 150GB total
>which is dreamy.

0
adavid (8731)

Office Accounting Professional 2009
Hello everyone, In looking over our Technet applications, I was wanting to test out Office Accounting Professional 2009 due to limitations we have found in our normal accounting product Simply Accounting. When installing the product, everything goes fine, but we are unable to setup a Canadian company. Is there a version that will allow us to do this? I noticed there are two versions, one being the English - United States version, and one English-United Kingdom. Will the latter one work for Canadian customers? Any help would be very appreciated, Peter Skinner Edmonton ...

Multiple copies of just one email
I'm using Outlook 2002 on Windows XP professional and I keep receiving a new copy of one email message every time I open Outlook or it performs a timed send/receive. All other email messages have been fine, i.e. just one copy. Would this be a problem with my computer that I can fix, a problem with the sender's computer that she can fix, or is something else the matter? I only get one copy of all other messages from the same sender. If anyone else is having this problem, I received an answer in the Office-Outlook-General Questions Discussion Group. I was able to log into my ...

DL and Ghost User.
Query. A user has been nuked from and EXch5.5 server. Not listed in ANY DL (this has been checked by five different people). Yet, an email gets sent to a DL that the user did belong to (noting the above that the user is NOT in the DL). Yet the MTA still tries to send a message to the uer. Any ideas??? Ricardo I think (maybe) that certain versions of the MTA did this, and a restart of the MTA service cured the problem. Have you tried that? For the record, what SP level are you at? -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchange.co.uk &quo...

How can i asign MBF roles to user accounts?
Hello. I want to asign to user accounts the next roles: MBF roles: - Order Management Customer - Customer (Advanced role) I was wondering how can I make this Thanks for your help Jose Ponce Aguilar ...

Benifits of tracking number on email subject line
According to the Techknowledge article https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/techknowledge.aspx turning off the tracking number results in the loss of the Microsoft CRM system's ability to automatically track incoming e-mail. Can someone please explain which trcking functionality are we loosing here ? What are the other benifits of having the tracking number ? Thanks. Sorry, I didn't give the right link. http://mbs.microsoft.com/techknowledge/techknowledge.asp? id=34747&target=PS Document ID: 34747 >-----Original Message----- >According to the Techknowledge arti...

Outlook 2002
This just started today. Outlook opens ok to the Outlook Today view and does a send / receive (I'm on DSL). When I click on a shortcut to any folder, i.e. Inbox, I get a quick view of that folder but then a page displays that says "Search results for "outlook:Inbox" Sorry, your keywords did not match any results. Please try again. On the address line it shows "http://www.jraun.com/search.php? search=outlook:Inbox" Any ideas If you click the folder names in the Folder List instead of the Outlook Bar, do the folders open successfully? -- Jocelyn ...

Outlook Today View; Tasks; Start Date
In the Calendar view, I can make tasks appear when the start date occurs. However, in the Outlook Today view, tasks are displayed only when the due date occurs. Is there a way tasks can be displayed in the Outlook Today view when the start date occurs? ...

Problem adding new record in form view
Hi there, I have inherited an acccess database and have had to do some troubleshooting on an error message which is now sorted out. I now am unable to add a new record in form view, however if I enter the information directly into the table there is no problem. Please could you help with what might be going wrong? Thanks -- Snoozi Suzi Open the form in design view. Open the properties window for the form. Is the Allow Additions property set to yes? Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "SnooziSuzi" <SnooziSuzi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

Word hangs when I view drawing objects in a portrait model
I am using MS Word 2002 (sp3). When I view the page with graphs by using drawing tool, in a portrait mode, the Word hangs. It works OK for the landscape mode, it also works OK for regular text pages in a portraint mode. I reinstalled Word, or rebot computers and tried a lot of other methods, the problem remains. Any one can let me know how to reolve the issue? -- EthanlovesCars ...

problema con account predefinito
abbiamo alucni utenti il cui outlook =E8 configurato in modo da utilizzare due account di posta, uno =E8 quello personale ( es. nome.cognome@posta.it come predefinito) e l'altro (es. organizzazione2006@posta.it). il secondo account in realt=E0 =E8 un alias che gli utenti possono anche sfruttare in scrittura dalle postazioni di lavoro. la domanda =E8 la seguente: come mai quando scrivono o rispondono ad un messaggio, risulta come mittente il secondo account e non il primo che invece =E8 il predefinito? Grazie in anticipo per l'attenzion che mi presterete. prometeo2@hotmail.com <p...

Public Folder Contacts for addressing email in OWA
OK, Exchange 2003 SP2, users can access OWA just fine. They can view a shared calendar in Public folders... they can view a shared contacts file in Public folders... what I cannot seem to be able to get to work... is a way for users to address new emails using the shared contacts in Public folders. Clicking "To" or "find" does not allow you to select the contacts listed in the Public folders. Can this be done? I don't think there is anyway to make a public folder Contacts folder visible in OWA. Maybe someone like Messageware (www.messageware.com) has an add-on ...

.pst and account
Guys, If I set Outlook 2000 as an account (internet email ), it will create a default personal folder. Instead of using the default personal folder that just got created, can I import another .pst and make that as the "default" and close out the newly created. So far I have tried it and its not working. Thanks, Tony In news:1134754470.668331.229330@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, tractng@gmail.com <tractng@gmail.com> typed: > Guys, > > If I set Outlook 2000 as an account (internet email ), it will create > a default personal folder. Instead of using the de...

auto reply email entering queue
How can I configure an autoreply function to a queue so that sender get a message back as soon he send something to a queue? I wanted to use a workflow but it seems we cannot add workflow to queues. Any idea ? -- Christophe As far as i remember this is not possible because the Exchange-Account which is used for the queue has to be "disabled". Maybe you can configure Exchange as it would auto-forward incoming mails for your queue to another Exchange-User and try to get auto-reply work this way. Another option -which is highly unsupported- is to create a trigger on Activity-Tabl...

Forward multiple email messages at the same time in Outlook
How do I forward multiple email messages at the same time in Outlook? -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/outlook/201005/1 Insert the individual e-mail items into one new mail message and send that message. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, Shawn76 via OfficeKB.com asked: | How do I forward multiple email messages at the same time in Outlook?...

User name does not show up in Global Address List in Outlook
We created several AD accounts with email. I look at the exchange server and the recipients policy is default. Is there an options or configurations I need to do so the user email address will automatically show up in the global address list? I am stump as to why it does not show up in global address list. they should, automatically...are the AD accounts stamped with an smtp address? If not, it would appear that your RUS is malfunctioning...if they are, you should be able to see them in the GAL unless you're running Outlook in cached mode, maybe, and your OAB is not updating... -...

Download from Brokerage Account and Cash Transactions
I've got a brokerage account. When I do an online connection, I get a successful connection and get records downloaded. The investment transactions all work fine and can be reconciled. When I move to handle the related cash transactions, while Money tells me that there are transactions to work against, the screen is blank and I can not navigate anywhere other than to return to the Online Statements screen. Any ideas? ...

Setup user permissions
Please can someone help us to understand how we can structure the user permission in the scernario below. We have offices in various countries. The teams are divided into Sales and Marketing at every location. Each location sales and marketing teams exist in the same business unit so can view the data of each other but we now have lets say a Marketing Director who wants to be able to see the data of all marketing teams but the sales director should be able to see the data of all sales team. Sales and marketing do not want to share the data above the business unit they are in. MY Org ...

User win32 dll
Hi I've an MFC application that has to call the functions of a win32 dll. I have the dll and its header file containing functions headers and lib file. How can I do so. Regards Usman > I've an MFC application that has to call the functions of a win32 dll. I > have the dll and its header file containing functions headers and lib file. > How can I do so. You just need to link against the .lib file. What exactly is that you are not able to do? --- Ajay There's a function in the Dll that I've to use i.e MyDllFunction(unsinged int) In my MFC application, I...

Array of User define data.
I want to use a typed data of array. Type myType X As Long Y As Long End Type Dim myMatrix(20)(20) As myType But above code is wrong. How to that right VBA coding? Another question. Can I use a Variant array such as dim myVar as Long = 20 Dim myMatrix(myVar) As myType Thanks... I think this is what you mean Dim myarray() As myType ReDim myarray(1 To 20) myarray(1).X = 1 myarray(1).Y = 3 Const cLen As Long = 20 Dim myArray2(cLen) As myType myArray2(20).X = 1 myarray(20).Y = 2 -- HTH Bob Phillips "Cactus [������]" <a@b.com> wrote in mes...

Viewing Outlook 2007 calendar in a "stacked" view?
I used to be able to view my Outlook 2003 calendar in a "stacked" weekly view, so rather than the vertical columns in 2007, I was able to see my week as (imagine boxes around each day with the appointments listed underneath): Monday Thursday Tuesday Friday Wednesday Sat/Sun I can't seem to find this view now and I'm wondering if it's even an option? Or do I just have to get used to 2007's vertical columns? That view is gone in 2007 Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook Trainer and Consultant www.pragmatix.com.au Ou...

How do I insert a logo into outgoing email in Outlook?
I want to creat stationery in Outlook that has my company logo at the top. When I try to create stationery and insert the logo, the entire page is filled with many logos. ...

Editing Account Statements to fit double-window envelope
Does anyone know what XML statement(s) to put into the Account Statement template to move the customer address down about 1/2"? We are trying to make it show in the bottom window of a double-window security envelope. -- Steve ...

Outbox message about unsent emails.
Every time I sign off Windows Live Mail I get this message. You have unsent messages in your outbox. Do you want to send them now? It does not matter if I say yes, the message still comes back. I have checked my outbox and there are no messages pending. I am using Window 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Now do I get rid of this message. Check the Outbox folder in the Windows Live Mail (WLM) program. If you don't see any messages, select View (ALT+V), Show or Hide and make sure that Show all Messages is selected. You may need to select File (ALT+F), Work Offline in order to be able to ...

email attachments #12
Outlook removes access to every attachment I receive. How do I stop this so I can view the attachments? ...

Cannot delete email message?
Is that something you want help with? If so, you should post a more detailed explanation of the problem to a newsgroup dedicated to supporting your email client. This particular forum is dedicated to MS Access, the database program which comes with MS Office. George "Susan Phelan" <divasue@cox.net> wrote in message news:%23YmPewVVIHA.5396@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > ...