Users not showing in GAL - Exch 2003 / AD 2000

I've inherited an Exchange 2003 server that has two Global Address Lists. I'd
like to remove the 'extra' one and let the Default GAL be what we use. We're
just a single domain without any need for two GALs.

I've experimented by deleting the 'extra' GAL and after it was deleted, no
users were visible in Outlook. I've determined that the 'extra' GAL had a few
more members in it, however the permissions on both GALS were exactly the
same. I've also looked at a few user objects in adsiedit and the
showinaddressbook attribute shows the 'extra' GAL first and the Default GAL
second.

I've put the 'extra' GAL back in place for the meantime so users would not
panic, but I'd like to remove it again and see if I can't make the Default
GAL work. I'm thinking I need to wait for awhile and let the RUS service do
it's magic perhaps? Does Exchange need to regenerate the GAL after I've
deleted one of them?
--
Sandy Wood
Orange County District Attorney

The articles below may shed some light.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312287
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822940

--
Teo Heras
MCSE, CCNA

"Sandy Wood" wrote:

> I've inherited an Exchange 2003 server that has two Global Address Lists. I'd
> like to remove the 'extra' one and let the Default GAL be what we use. We're
> just a single domain without any need for two GALs.
>
> I've experimented by deleting the 'extra' GAL and after it was deleted, no
> users were visible in Outlook. I've determined that the 'extra' GAL had a few
> more members in it, however the permissions on both GALS were exactly the
> same. I've also looked at a few user objects in adsiedit and the
> showinaddressbook attribute shows the 'extra' GAL first and the Default GAL
> second.
>
> I've put the 'extra' GAL back in place for the meantime so users would not
> panic, but I'd like to remove it again and see if I can't make the Default
> GAL work. I'm thinking I need to wait for awhile and let the RUS service do
> it's magic perhaps? Does Exchange need to regenerate the GAL after I've
> deleted one of them?
> --
> Sandy Wood
> Orange County District Attorney

Strange Outlook 2003 issue
I have a client running Exchange Server and Outlook 2003. The issue she has (and it only seems to be the one user), is this: When sending some emails, whether to a group or an individual user; internal or external; the email goes into both Sent and deleted items at the same time with a header that says 'This email has not been sent'. When we check with the recipient they have received the email. There does not seem to be any consistency with this, we have tried sending to the same sender and all ok, we have tried sending with and without attachments...nothing seems to make any d...

Publisher 2003: how can I make a text box into a differnt shape.
I am trying to change the shape of a textbox or put text into other shapes. Right-click the autoshape, add text. The text will not conform to the shape. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "nathan" <nathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9636039D-0D50-4316-9C9D-1E1D7FAD444A@microsoft.com... >I am trying to change the shape of a textbox or put text into other shapes. Mary Sauer wrote: > Right-click the autoshape, add text. The text will not conform to the > shape. >> I am ...

sent items don't show who sent to
I made a subfolder under "sent items". Unlike the "Sent Items" folder, this new folder does not show "To" (i.e. who the message was sent to). When I changed the view to show "To", it then changed the "Inbox" so that it also showed "To" and no longer showed who a message is "From". Anyone know how to fix this? thanks, Huck WYSIWYG. There are only two options for OE column headers. Inbox - Deleted Items - and User Created folders share the same layout. If you change one, you change them all. Lik...

MS Word 2003 Saving
I have MS Word 2003 and am having troubling saving documents. The options of Save and Save As are visible, but when I click them nothing happens. Please advise. ...

Exchange 2003 DR: parallel universe really necessary for full sys
We are in the process of adding to our DR plan for exchange 2003 Enterprise. -our exchange 2003 enterprise resides on its own server. -our DCs (2) reside on their own servers (that is the exchage server is NOT a DC). -exchange runs on windows 2003 enterprise SP1. -os and apps reside on their own hard disk -logs reside on its own disk -databases reside on it's own disk From my readings I understood that previous version of Exchange required a "parallel universe" to exist in order to rebuild exchange after some disaster--not so with Exchange 2003 (or did i misunderstand?). By...

Outlook 2000 @ Win ME
It was working very fine this morning until I got an email with .tif attachment from a client, now it's all frozen. I tried to restart, virus scan (norton anti virus 2004), for million times, not working still... any idea? thanks in advance problem solved - i refer to neo's reply start-> run type: outlook.exe /safe >-----Original Message----- >It was working very fine this morning until I got an email >with .tif attachment from a client, now it's all frozen. >I tried to restart, virus scan (norton anti virus 2004), >for million times, not working still...

Conditional sum wizard problem--Excel 2000
This is driving me crazy. Can anyone explain why this won't work with the Conditional Sum Wizard? I've used the wizard many times before and can't figure out why it doesn't work this time. Category Price Paid? Core $55.50 yes If I try to sum "Price" using the criterion Paid?="yes", it works fine (i.e. I get $55.50). If I try to sum "Price" using Category="Core", it doesn't work (I get $0.00). Both "Category" and "Paid?" are formatted as text; "Price" is formatted as currency. Thanks. Hi ...

Group rights to mailbox on Exchange 2003?
Found this thread when trying to fix assignment of a group onto a mailbox on exchange 2003. Only the user can be successfully assigned as the group seems passive on mailbox rights. I have many users that maintain a single mailbox used for scheduling meeting room via calendar request. To date I have only been successful with individual users although I can add a group this has no effect for rights. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Tom. "Mark N." wrote: > > Mark > > > > It's explained in the following KB article. > > > > http://support.m...

Exchange 2003 default message size won't go beyound 10 megs
We are not able to send or receive attachments larger than 10 megs even when the AD settings are cranked up to 50 megs. When the default message size for inbound and outbound are changed to anything abouve 10 megs, the server will still behave as if it is only allowing 10 megs. We get the NDR 5.2.3 kickback email from the Exchange server each time we make a settings change and send out a test email. We have Exchange storage limits in place, but they should not affect the message size. Thanks! -- ITJTR ...

Fields not showing on Report
I have a report based on a query. When I add the fields to the report, some of my fields don't produce data.???? -- dks Post the SQL of the query. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP -- Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does not constitute endorsement thereof. Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no guarantee as to suitability. You can thank the FTC of the USA for making this disclaimer possible/necessar...

Re: Shared calendar not showing popup reminders; way to do this?
Oops, forgot again. Version = O2K. "StargateFanFromWork" <NoSpam@NoJunkMail.com> wrote in message news:... >A colleague and I have access to our respective boss' calendars. We have >them open yet minimized. What we're finding is that the 15min reminder >pops up for our bosses but not for us. > > Is there a way to get our shared copies to also remind us of an upcoming > meeting for our respective bosses. This would be of enormous help! > > Thanks. :oD > > There's an add-in written by an MVP, Ken Slovak: http://www.slovaktec...

Message Body not Visible in Outlook 2003
I have a client that is having an issue with Outlook 2003 where the message bodies are not visible. It appears that most of the messages I have looked at with the problem are HTML, but I'm not sure about that. They do get some messages that are HTML that don't have this problem. The preview pane yields the same blank page. OWA displays the message fine. When the users opts to forward the message the body is displayed in the forwarded message. Anyone have any ideas about this problem? Thanks in advance, Lesa By the way, on the problem users in the network the workstations ar...

Outlook 2003 SP1 wipes out clipboard when it starts
Anyone know why clipboard gets cleared when Outlook starts? I can copy something to clipboard, start Outlook and it is gone when I try and paste it into a new email. I get a funky looking icon instead. I know clipboard is empty after Outlook starts because I try and paste copied text into a text editor and there is nothing to paste. If I do the same copy and paste after Outlook is up and running, it works fine. How do I fix this annoyance? ---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy * http://www.newsleeche...

I having problems with Outlook 2000 Calendar meeting.
Works on some computers, but on others I'm not getting complete meeting messages. ...

E-mail Addresses Tab Not Displaying in AD Users and Computers
Howdy, With Win2k3 & Exchange 2k3 SP2. I have several users that are not displaying the "E-mail Addresses" Tab on the properties of their user object. As well they do not list in the GAL. Any ideas or pointers would be helpful. Thanks, Dan Foxley That would suggest that they are not mail or mailbox enabled. In ADUC right click, Exchange tasks.... Nue <danfoxley@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1146514613.576153.123400@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Howdy, > > With Win2k3 & Exchange 2k3 SP2. I have several users that are not > displaying the "...

How do I only show a range of columns/rows in Excel?
I only want to view, say, columns A thru K and rows 1 thru 23. Even if I scroll, I still don't want the sheet to go out of that range. Hi Larry Insert the following code into a module in the workbook. Press Alt+F11 to bring up the VB Editor. Insert>Module and paste the code below into the module. Change the sheet name to your sheet name if it is different to Sheet1 Sub Auto_Open() ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").ScrollArea = "A1:K23" End Sub Regards Roger Govier Larry Zukerman wrote: > I only want to view, say, columns A thru K and rows 1 thru 23....

need to make a template for weekly calendar ASAP that shows pictu.
need to make a template for weekly calendar ASAP that shows pictures. I do not know how to save the template so that it can be used later. I am reviewing the help again about how to make a template but I misunderstand something; it does not work. The template i want/need is for a weekly calender that shows appointments from Outlook and also has pictures that stay for up to a month; I do not want to put in pictures all over each week. Please guide me. Thank you! ! -d Hi I'm no expert but you might want to try making the document (with pictures) that you want as the template an...

Trying to create a new Address List that includes both users and g
I am trying to use the "Create Exchange Address List" wizard in the Exchange System Manager under the Recipients folder. I want to create a list that includes users that meet a criteria and groups that meet a criteria. I can get a list of users or a list of groups filtered the way I want them, but I can't figure out how to get a list that includes both users and groups. I want to have the list available in the Address List drop-down list in Outlook. Any help would be appreciated. I just discovered that I can create two separate lists - one with the filtered users and ...

Excel 2000 #28
How do I rename column header in Excel 2000? For example: From "A", to "song Title". Hi, Tez; I don't think you can do that. Put "song title" in the top cell of the column, instead. Regards, IanRoy "Tez" wrote: > How do I rename column header in Excel 2000? > For example: From "A", to "song Title". > Hi Tez As IanRoy said, put all of your Headings in row A and then Goto Tools/Options/View and Uncheck the Row & Column Header box about halfway down the page HTH Michael "IanRoy" wrote: > Hi, Tez;...

Uninstalling and downgrading from 2007 to 2003
Ok, here we go. My beta just expired and I would like to downgrade back to my old office 2003. What do I need to backup? and How do I do it? I need EVERYTHING from outlook. Mails, Folders, Tasks, Notes and Calendar items. Import/Export seems to be disabled. Please help me. Thanks, emp emp <mklinge@gmail.com> wrote: > Ok, here we go. > My beta just expired and I would like to downgrade back to my old > office 2003. > What do I need to backup? and How do I do it? > > I need EVERYTHING from outlook. Mails, Folders, Tasks, Notes and > Calendar items. Since Outlo...

Exchange 2000 modifies NDR's from outside
Hello, whenever a NDR generated by remote servers comes to our exchange server, exchange modifies the NDR, including attached message. As a result, we can't safely detect where the problem started and what server generated the NDR. Is there any possibility to set up exchange not to modify the NDR, and to show it exactly as it came in? (except Received: headers, which of course should be added). Thank you. -- Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/ Warning: I wish NOT to receive e-mail advertising to this address. Varovanie: na tuto adresu chcem NEDOSTAVAT a...

Excel 2003 Macro ignores Arrow Keystrokes
Can't get ANY macro to work! *ignores relative references *ignores arrow keystrokes *ignores use of F2 *only offers VB for editing Macro security is low, there is no protection. Madness is near, help, please! ...

Automatically adding a calendar entry on individual calendars.
Greetings, We have Exchange Calendars for out Techs. Our scheduler has to add all the calls every morning for each tech to go to customer sites. The sheduler has to also add the Job Ticket to our customer database before adding the entry to the tech calendar. Is there a way to have the Job Ticket software send the appointment to the Exchange Calendar automatically when the Job Ticket is entered? What does Exchange/Outlook need to add the appointment? Seems like there should be a way to do this. Thanks, FreeAgent99 ...

Exchange 5.5 to 2003 #3
I already ran forestprep and domainprep, everything went well thanks to everybody that responded to my posts. the next step will be to install the Active Directory Connector, I have the new server that will be my exchange 2003 and will co-exist with 5.5. What should I look for when installing ADC and where should I do this step?? any articles and/or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance I'd strongly recommend downloading and reading the Exchange 2003 Deployment Guide: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=77b6d819-c7b3-42d1-8fbb-fe6339ffa1ed&a...

How do I create a stem and leaf plot on Excel 2003?
A stem and leaf plot is method for easy hand creation of a crude histogram. The Analysis ToolPak contains a histogram tool. The stem and leaf plot differs from a histogram in the following ways: - The histogram is more flexible in choice of boundaries between bars, since the stem and leaf plot always groups by 10's - The stem and leaf plot uses the units digits of the actual numbers like a plot symbol. This gives you the potential of visually evaluating the distribution within a bar. You might be able to nest SMALL() and IF() functions to fake it in workbook cells. The resu...