Users ability to Manage Groups

When a users goes to the properties of a distribution group in outlook, they
are able to use the modify members option, however as far as i can tell they
don't have permissions to do this in AD. Does anyone have any ideas as to
how to narrow down what is allowing this or how to disallow this ability?
Thanks
Matthew Loraditch

0
Matthew

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 09:07:16 -0400, "Matthew Loraditch" <mloradites AT
Yahoo DOT Com> wrote:

>When a users goes to the properties of a distribution group in outlook, they
>are able to use the modify members option, however as far as i can tell they
>don't have permissions to do this in AD. Does anyone have any ideas as to
>how to narrow down what is allowing this or how to disallow this ability?
>Thanks
>Matthew Loraditch

Look for the word Exchange in
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/windows2000/w2kccadm/usegpacc/w2kadm16.mspx
and it will explain. Set the owener/manager in AD and use Outlook to
control the membership.
0
mark7219 (5666)
9/23/2005 2:11:52 PM
"Matthew Loraditch" <mloradites AT Yahoo DOT Com> wrote:

>When a users goes to the properties of a distribution group in outlook, they
>are able to use the modify members option, however as far as i can tell they
>don't have permissions to do this in AD. Does anyone have any ideas as to
>how to narrow down what is allowing this or how to disallow this ability?

Are they able to *save* the changes they make?

The problem would be found on the "Security" tab of the group (or on
one of the containers from which it inherits permissions). If they can
save the changes then they have the "Write members" permission on the
object. If anyone can save changes to the group then you probably have
some security group (or maybe even a builtin group like "Everyone")
that's been assigned that permission.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

How do I import multiple vcards in groups into the contacts secti.
I have been using another email program for years called Becky. Now I have office 2003 I am going to change and use outlook so it integrates all in one package. I need to know if it possible to import groups of addresses as I had in the Becky Email or do I have do this as one and then put them back into groups. Also the emails can they be imported to the Outlook. Thanks in advance Jeff ...

Windows 7 Discussion Group
Is there one? If so and I missed it I apologize. Thanks "RHinNC" <rhinnc@[get rid of this] hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OEORv3yhKHA.5604@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Is there one? If so and I missed it I apologize. Thanks > There are Microsoft forums, but no Microsoft newsgroups. There is an alt.windows7.general newsgroup, though, if your ISP carries it. -- SC Tom On 12/27/2009 2:51 PM, RHinNC wrote: > Is there one? If so and I missed it I apologize. Thanks > > I have been using the alt.windows7.general which is available a free...

grouping cells to sort by only one column
Hi, New to this so please bear with me. I have a spread sheet where I am listing names in column A and othe info relating to that name in columns B and C in the two rows below th name. I then start a different name in the next row down with the info in t two rows below that, and so forth. I want to be able to add more names in the future and be able to sor all of this by column A only. The problem I am having is the info i the other columns moves. I need it to somehow attatch and stay put wit it's corisponding name without moving. In other words how do I make everything from A1 to ...

Limited User can't use Money
I've installed Money 2004 in hopes to clear this same problem I had with 2001, to no avail. I installed Money 04 with my System Administrator acct. It works fine for me. But when my wife tries with her Limited Account, she cannot get access. How do I get her access to this program and data? I've tried installing it in the All Users dir, but no help. I really don't want to give her Sys Admin priveleges just to use Money. Thanks to anyone that can help. MS Support has no info on this, nor does a Google search turn anything up. If she creates a new Money file, can you b...

Looking for a method to print only those worksheets that the user has entered data into
Hi everyone I have a workbook that has 7 worksheets un-hidden. Of those, each has a limited number of cells that are un-protected. Each sheet prints to a single page. The user can enter data on one, some or all of the sheets. Is there a short-cut method that would allow the user to (at a single click) print all of the sheets that have user-input data and not any of those that are left 'blank' TI rp Hi not possible without VBA -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "rpw" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:732719CD-1559-4CD1-B0...

how to find the last modified user?
Is it possible in CRM to determine who last modified/altered a particular record (of any entity)? Esp, who last modified the details of a particular contact? Thanx There is an example in the SDK of building an "Auditing" module for the CRM admin which would give views of who changed which records, etc. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnmbscrm1_2/html/mbs_crmauditing.asp Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Simon" wrote: > Is it possible in CRM to determine who last modified/altered a particular > record (of any entity)? > Esp, who last mod...

Grouping dates in pivot table
I am pulling data from a SQL Server database to create a pivot table. Excel (07) is not recognizing the field as a date. This is a field I would like to group by in the pivottable. I am aware of all the techniques to convert this to a date field, but I am searching for an answer as to why XL pivot tables cannot consume the dates directly from a sql query. I have played with bringing the dates back in a number of differenent formats with no success. Any insights into this would be appreciated. Probably coming in as text and yuo may only need to copy an unused cell and paste sp...

Business Contact Manager #27
Is there any way to use BCM within a profile connected to an Exchange Server? Thanks, Chris Only SBS check out the faq here http://www.slipstick.com/bcm/bcmfaq.aspx (under setup) "Chris Cushman" <ccushman@calence.com> wrote in message news:2b7b01c42252$ea162900$3a01280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any way to use BCM within a profile connected to > an Exchange Server? > > Thanks, > Chris ...

Office Picture Manager e-mail option greyed out
Hello, Using the Office Picture Manager, I select a picture, then select e-mail pictures. Within this pop up on the right hand side, i am supposed to be able to Attach, Display as previewed, and then create message. Only thing is all of the selections are grayed out and nothing can be selected. Questions are, Is Picture Manager hard coded to use Outlook or Outlook Express only? Are there any registry settings which might be massaged to point to another e-mail program? Thanks ...

Ex55 Mailbox Manager not working
Hi! We have the problem that the Exchange 5.5 Mailbox Manager is not cleaning the mailboxes! In the EventLogs it is said that 0 items are processed but no errors at all! We are running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on W2K SP4. We also tried the Post-SP4 fix for mailbox manager but it doesn't help! It seems that after restarting the system service the mailbox manager is running for that day. Are there any other solutions or fixes that might help available? Thanks for the help! BR, Jochen Corey, what additional patches do you have installed on your Exchange server? Maybe it is somehow connect...

NDR Sending to E2K3 Users from E5.5
I have recently installed E2K3 in mixed mode to work with our existing Exchange 5.5. AD is running in interim mode while our NT 4 BDCs get replaced. I have migrated a few users over to E2K3 with no problems. However, Exchange 5.5 users cannot send email to mailboxes that were created on the E2K3 server(NDR report 5.1.1). The migrated users can send to these mailboxes. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Al Stephenson After a little more digging I have found that the new users being created are being placed in a USER container instead of the recipient container which is where the 5.5 user...

Create appointments for another user
Is it possible to create an appointment from another user. I need to be able to create a case for a CSR and if necessary, also create an appointment on his/ner calander. Thanks in advance. -Chris Chris, You can create the appointment or case, after you created it (for yourself) you can assign it to someone else or to a queue (if you have enough rights for it). The assign option should be in the action menu. Hope this helps, Rob Bakkers Avanade Netherlands "Chris Pelon" wrote: > Is it possible to create an appointment from another user. I need to be able > to creat...

Import users from mixed mode Domain
Hello friends I have a domain with 2 sub domains (Sub-Domain A and B), and I installed the MS CRM 3 on sub-domain A. The functional Level of Sub-Domain A is 2003 Native and Sub-Domain B is Mixed, because the existence of NT4 PDC. On Deployment Guide 3.0.5 MS CRM, on page 6-12 tell how to add users from mixed mode, and because I'm new on this, I can't find the role "Browser for Microsoft CRM", wich is necessary to be assigned to the local security group that I will create with users from mixed Sub-Domain B. Can anyone help me with this step? Best Regards, ...

Customer Relationship Management (November 2006)
CRM Basics,CRM Objectives,Types of CRM : Operational CRM , Analytical CRM ,Collaborative CRM, CRM Implementation ,CRM Technical Functionalities ,Popular CRM's :: SugarCRM ,vTiger CRM , Daffodil CRM ,Future of CRM http://flying-rugs.com/crm/CRM.html ...

One user cannot logon to OWA
I have an instance where one user cannot login to OWA. It worked for her before and she is the only one experiencing the issue. I actually deleted her entire account from active directory, deleted her entire email from Exchange, synchronized to all domain controllers, re-added the account (same naming conventions), but she is still having the same problem. When I create a new account with totally different naming conventions, no problems at all. I thought everything for accounts was recognized as a SID, not by name. Is it possible using the same naming convention is causing the aut...

Add Users to the Business Portal site
Hello all, I have a new installation of Dynamics SL FP1, Business Portal FP1 and MOSS 2008 Enterprise. All of the installs went great without any errors during the installation. Next I configured Dynamics SL with a database update, added users, added all of my registration keys, created databases and then installed the business portal. Agian all went well.. Then I went into the business portal site and tried to add users. So I go to the business portal home page and click site actions>site settings> under Business Portal administration i click the link users The first thing i get ...

The database "First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (2000SVR)" has 38 megabytes of free space after online defragmentation has terminated.
Hello, I have a Windows 2000 Server (SP4) Exchange (SP3) Box and the Exchange Database hit his Limit With this Error. Event Type: Warning Event Source: ESE Event Category: Space Management Event ID: 445 Date: 5/13/2004 Time: 6:15:02 PM User: N/A Computer: 2000SVR Description: Information Store (2272) The database D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb has reached its maximum size of 16383 MB. If the database cannot be restarted, an offline defragmentation may be performed to reduce its size. However I did fix the retention policy to 0 and unchecked the permenantly delete mailboxs...

Doing a Search and Replace on Status Manager
At one time, this could not be done due to bugs. We are at SP2 + December CU. Is it OK now to perform a Search and Replace on Status Manager? Is there an issue with that change being applied to Summary Tasks as well as the Project Summary or should this be done with a VBA loop ONLY to individual tasks? In case you are wondering we do lots of reorgs and sometimes a manager leaves and a replacement will take over projects that once were managed by the former manager. So, we want the new person to be the new Status Manager. Thanks Andy -- If I were the new PM, I would se...

Does every one else have to micro manage MS$?
Just wondering if I am alone on this but it seems like with this app the longer you use it the more things come up that are just baffling.. For me it is duplicate transactions showing up, things not matching from the bills area back to the account register and the latest is ever transaction from my bank comes by default with NICOR as the payee and marks it as a utility. I know allot of the problem is the different banks and companies the software has to work with but common these discrepancies and constant need of babysitting almost makes it a wash for any efficiencies gained. I wen...

Finding contacts with user-defined fields
About 10% of my Contacts have two extra user-defined fields, CMADatabase and CMAContactIndex, which appear to have been added by either copying and pasting or playing with Small Business Contact Manager at some point. I can't import these contacts into another app from Outlook, therefore I need to replace them first I can do this by exporting them as vCards and reimporting them, however I don't know how to /find/ them without examining each contact individually, because the fields don't show up in "user defined fields in this folder". Is there another way of finding thi...

GP 10 Security
How can we turn off the Group Reports access in certain modules? -- TC ...

Start/stop Services for Power users
Does anyone know of a way to give start/stop Services permissions to our Power Users group? I know a GPO can be created to give permission to each seperate service but I would like to give start/atop permissions for _all_ services if possible. Thanks, Nick Actually the power-users group goes away in 2008, so for future-proofing your plans, you may want to reconsider this plan. What is the goal you are trying to accomplish? *WHY* do you want power-users to be able to restart services? -Cliff "Nick" <NoOne@NotHere.com> wrote in message news:uZ...

Excel user form interface
I am hoping someone can help me with the following problem. I have a form as the interface for an excel spreadsheet where a user enters the data into the form which in turn sends it to the spreadsheet. Unfortunately the worksheet is unprotected and user can therefore manipulate the data or formulas. I was wondering if anyone can help me with any lines of code that i will need to incorporate into my code so that the worksheet can be protected without causing errors when the user form is invoked. One way I believe may work is that the worksheet is initially protected. Once the user clicks on th...

mail users
Hi all, I have exchange 2000 and I need that all users have an internal mail but only some have external mail. How I can configure this? Please help me? thanks. Sorry for my English. ...

re: multiple user profiles STILL wont work...
Thanks for that Lan, Unfortunatly its not really practical to have all the users set up as seperate XP profiles, There are 4 main users of the computer which do have there own profiles, then a guest 'like' account which will have up to 15 different people come onto to check emails every now and again. My problem is still there however, even with the single xp profile, with an individual user, outlook is still saying domain login credentials are incorrect, when they are blatently not. But this is intermitant as it works fine for some users, but not for others. Any ideas?? ...