urgent help to find out why

Hi all,

windows 2003 /exchange 2003 SP2 with FE and BE

Users are complaining that they do not receive messages timely.  I check the
BE's queues and find out over 5000 mesages in the local delivery queue about
the 1.7 GB size(no limit set up here and is not allowed to do it.  If I do a
search, I can not find out the messages which have large sizes.
What's the log to track own who send large attachment?  tracking log.  Also,
any other ways to make queue go down quickly?  To rebboot the server?  Can we
set up the alert if messages queued up in the local delivery queue?  Only
internal messages are in the local delivery queue?

needs help from you,
Lots of thanks.

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:27:01 -0700, ed <ed@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>windows 2003 /exchange 2003 SP2 with FE and BE
>
>Users are complaining that they do not receive messages timely.  I check the
>BE's queues and find out over 5000 mesages in the local delivery queue about
>the 1.7 GB size(no limit set up here and is not allowed to do it.

If messages are backing up in the local delivery queue that could be
an indication that the Information Store is having a problem. Are you
seeing anything out of the ordinary in the Application Log? If not you
might try increasing the logging level on the MSExchangeTransport \
Exchange Store Driver.

>If I do a
>search, I can not find out the messages which have large sizes.
>What's the log to track own who send large attachment?  tracking log.

Yes, the message tracking logs.

>Also,
>any other ways to make queue go down quickly?

That depends on what's causing the problem. PerfMon should point out
where thing are going wrong. Long disk I/O queues, slow reads and
writes to disk (Disk / sec per read, Disk / sec per write), problems
accessing you GCs, etc. all contribute to this.

This may help, too:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822936

Also, the databases reserve some storage to store a copy of the pages
odified by the current transaction. If that space is exhausted by
having to write very large messages the processing will fall back to
single-threading the messages.

>To rebboot the server?  Can we
>set up the alert if messages queued up in the local delivery queue?  Only
>internal messages are in the local delivery queue?

All messages that are to be stored in local mailboxes are processed
through that queue.

Run the Exchange Best Practices Analyzer, too.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich
4/15/2010 1:40:53 AM
On Apr 14, 6:27=A0pm, ed <e...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> windows 2003 /exchange 2003 SP2 with FE and BE
>
> Users are complaining that they do not receive messages timely. =A0I chec=
k the
> BE's queues and find out over 5000 mesages in the local delivery queue ab=
out
> the 1.7 GB size(no limit set up here and is not allowed to do it. =A0If I=
 do a
> search, I can not find out the messages which have large sizes.
> What's the log to track own who send large attachment? =A0tracking log. =
=A0Also,
> any other ways to make queue go down quickly? =A0To rebboot the server? =
=A0Can we
> set up the alert if messages queued up in the local delivery queue? =A0On=
ly
> internal messages are in the local delivery queue?
>
> needs help from you,
> Lots of thanks.

Solar Winds has a free exchange monitor that you can run on your PC.
It lets you keep a small dashboard on your screen and decide which
information you want to keep tabs on. I can always see which exchange
services are running, how many messages are in my queues, what my cpu
utilization is, how my disk space is doing, etc.

http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/exchange_monitor.aspx
0
jbit
4/15/2010 1:34:07 PM
Rich,

Thanks for your detailed help.

When I open the track log on the backend server, I found out several users
to send attachemnts larger than 100MB.  the local delivery queue just queued
up.
Is there a way to make the queue to go down quickly?  Can we freeze the
current queue to make thenew messages to come first?
Is it normal to queue it up if users send larger 100 MB attachments?
Is there a native from Exchange to set up alert to alert me that the queue
is queued up?

Thank you.

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 07:19:01 -0700, ed <ed@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Rich,
>
>Thanks for your detailed help.
>
>When I open the track log on the backend server, I found out several users
>to send attachemnts larger than 100MB.  the local delivery queue just queued
>up.
>Is there a way to make the queue to go down quickly?

No.

>Can we freeze the
>current queue to make thenew messages to come first?

You'd have to freeze messages, not the queue.

>Is it normal to queue it up if users send larger 100 MB attachments?

I'd say it's abnormal to send 100MB e-mail! What's the rationale for
using e-mail instead of a file server for this?

>Is there a native from Exchange to set up alert to alert me that the queue
>is queued up?

PerfMon.

If this is a recurring problem you need to examine the design of your
server. Perhaps you have too many mailboxes in a database? Or you need
to add more spindles to your server to accomodate the peaks in I/O
caused by handling the large messages? Right now you only know you
have a problem. What you don't know is what's casuing it.

I'd suggest you start with the E2K3 PerfWiz
(http://blogs.technet.com/mikelag/archive/2009/02/02/updated-exchange-2003-perfwiz.aspx)
and the PAL tool (http://pal.codeplex.com/Wikipage). Find out what the
problem is and address it. If you can't fix the problem with the
hardware you have, get more. If you can't get more, then restrict the
size of the messages. You can't have it both ways.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich

Please help me!! Exchange SBS 2000 - receives ok
Hello I have a rather confusing situation at the moment. It is taking hours for emails to arrive at addresses i send to through exchange server 2000 on SBS 2000. I receive emails to me instantly through exchange server. To test the sending i set up a performance monitor to provide the number of emails in the send queue. When i click send, the performance shows the number in the queue as 1, then promptly returns to 0. As far as i understand it, this shows the email has left the queue. I have also looked at the queue in the system manager and frozen the outbound email to monitor the queue. As s...

HELP!!!!!!!!
I am getting alot of spam sent to my domain that does not have an actual email address. The problem is that the server then tries to send a message to the sender (who is bogus) with a delivery failure. My ISP has since shut down may mail once already. How can i stop the server from responding to mail coming in with incorrect adresses. I am using exchange 2k3 and windows enterprise edition 2k3. I am new to exchange and still in the process of learning it. Any help would really be appreciated. Are the SMTP addresses incorrect or are they blank? You can configure Exchange's Sender F...

finding the results of changing 4 variables
Hi, I'm working on a 10 year financial forecasting model for an investment fund. The end result is to calculate the IRR. There are 4 variable inputs I would like to change, and observe how the IRR changes as those inputs change. In other words, I would like to play with changing two different fees, the fund size, and the expected return, and see how changing those impacts the IRR. Is there a way to do this on one sheet without manually changing all these inputs? I think Scenario or Data Tables might do it, but I'm not sure. Thank you. You might try this template...

Help with functions
If I have the following formula in a worksheet to bring up a message box =IF((F4-E4)>=10,Amend()+F4-E4,F4-E4) How can I use a function to transfer some information from different cells to a new worksheet if the formula above works? You can't have a function transfer information to another cell, it will return it's info in the cell where it's located, you would need a formula(s) in the cells where you want this information. Otherwise you would need VBA Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Monty" wrote: > If I have the following formula in a worksheet to bring up a me...

Please help #6
Sounding desperate....I am :) I have imported a txt file into excel, however there is a lot of editing i need to do manually prior to being able to use it. Firstly I am looking for a way I can delete all blank rows in one easy step. Secondly I would like to delete all rows within Column A containing text. Alternatively, for the second step, when the txt file has been imported into excel, it works out that I need to retain the first 35 rows and delete the next 10 rows. This could go on for over 100 cycles, however the number of times this needs to be performed can change per each import. I...

Help from Dave Peterson
Dave, Please see thread headed "Copying multiple sheets from one book 2 another and undertake special " dated 2/8/05. I have added some more text in there as I have finally got round to doing it and have experienced some problems. My name shows up as "Ann" rather than Pank as my good lady has been using my account. Thanks ...

Help needed with the last hurdle on this project
Hi I've finally reached the limits of my Excel knowledge (what littl there was) and need some help to complete my project. What's missing now is some automation to make what I need to do a lo more user friendly. My problem (for anyone generous enough to tackle it) is posted below. It's a lot of text but it's the most concise way of explaining what want to be able to do. I've attached a file with the Excel work as far as I have been able t do. Thanks to anyone who gives this a crack - it's very much appreciated. Martin PART 1 Take the data from Column A and Co...

help need to match a string
Hi everyone Hope someone have a solution for me. I have a table with product name and price in column a & b in sheet1 I have the formula in sheet2 where I input the product name in A1 an it search the product and give me the price. =VLOOKUP($A$1,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$1377,2,0). It works ok. Here my problem: I have a product name called "HK-2859 plus" and I need this product t be identified if I enter any portion of this product ("HK" or "2859" o "plus"....). appreciate your help Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi one way: Use t...

Please help me solve my problem
Hi, I Have a cell say a1 that has a continuously changing number it in and I want to track the highest number that it prints, and the same for the lowest number in cell a2. I would like these results to show up in the cells below them Im very new to programming and your help would be much appreciated many thanks Sacha David On Mar 5, 1:01=A0pm, Sacha David <sach1...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Hi, =A0I Have a cell say a1 that has a continuously changing number it > in and I want to track the highest number that it prints, =A0and the > same for the lowest number i...

Help please, can't start up!!
When I start the PC, after the loading bar for Microsoft thing finishes,instead of going to login screen it gives me a blue screen, and it says Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area. This just happened overnight!!!! Help please. :( -- Excessive Here are some hints ( 'Bug Check 0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA' (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms793437.aspx) ). Try starting the system in safe mode (keep tapping F8 after power-on). -- whs Additional info: - I use Spyware Doctor scan every few days - I left my computer on for the night like always,and ...

FRx Help #3
I have a row calculation that I do not want to print in every one of my columns. Is there any way I can get it not to print in certain columns. It is a % calc that I do not want in my Variance columns. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Barb In the row format you can dictate which columns your data shows up in. In column G in the row format is where you tell to print in the columns you dictate...example You want to print in columns a,b,c,d,e or use a to e "BK" wrote: > I have a row calculation that I do not want to print in every one of my > columns. Is t...

Help, Reapearing Deleted Calendar Apointments
We are running Exch. 2003 and Outlook 2007. I have a user that has four problem items on his calendar. About every two mins. they show up in his Deleted Items folder (but they are NOT removed from his calendar. By the end of the day he has hundards of copies in his Deleted Items folder and they just keep comming! We even deleted one off his calendar as a test but it keeps showing up in Deleted Items. Anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this? TIA, Clayton More info. Just foud out the user is using a Dell Axim x50/x50v PDA that is connected to his PC...

[Help] OnPaint Skipped?
I have an CTestWnd defined as follow class CTestWnd : public CWnd { DECLARE_DYNAMIC(CTestWnd) public: CTestWnd(); virtual ~CTestWnd(); protected: DECLARE_MESSAGE_MAP() public: afx_msg void OnPaint(); }; and i create an instance of CTestWnd as a child window of hWndParent LPCTSTR lpClassName; lpClassName=AfxRegisterWndClass(CS_VREDRAW | CS_HREDRAW |CS_GLOBALCLASS, ::LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_ARROW),(HBRUSH) ::GetStockObject(WHITE_BRUSH), ::LoadIcon(NULL, IDI_APPLICATION)); RECT rect; ::GetClientRect(hWndParent, &rect); m_Wnd.CreateEx(NULL,lpClassName, _T("TEST"...

Find certain cell value
Hi, I have a matrix with on the rows dates of stock prices and on th columns stock names. Now I'm trying to find a certain stock price on a certain date. If try to find the stock price of Microsoft on January 1st 2005, how woul this be done. I know how to lookup the stock name and the stock date (using VLOOKU etc.) but not how to combine these lookup functions in order to receiv only one cell value. Tnanks in advance. Ro -- Rob ----------------------------------------------------------------------- RobJ's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2...

Where do I find updates or downloads for Publisher 2001
I am trying to find updates and or downloads for Microsoft picture it publishing 2001 but continually get no information found, as a comeback but I know it existsbecause I have a copy can anyone help please? A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from rogjoolstwo <rogjoolstwo@discussions.microsoft.com>!"... > I am trying to find updates and or downloads for Microsoft picture it > publishing 2001 but continually get no information found, as a > comeback but I know it existsbecause I have a copy can anyone help > please? Microsoft PictureIt ...

SBS 2k and Exchange 2k Help
Hi All I'm having a problem with Exhange 2000. I support an office of about 5 people, and they are running SBS2000 with Exchange 2000, during the past couple of days they haven't been able to send/receive e-mail, and they haven't been able to browse the internet. I initially thought the server was being used for Relaying, however the queues are not very high (about 14 e-mails) and the Telnet tests suggest it can't be used for relaying. When I got there last night the server was fine and after a quick re-boot I sent numerous e-mails to my home account which I received, and I...

MSExchangeSA 9331/9335...Please help....
Hello, I'm receiving the following two events on a daily basis and anytime I attempt to rebuild the offline address list using the ESM. Date:7/20/2006 Time:2:33:08 PM Source:MSExchangeSA Type:Error Category:OAL Generator Event ID:9335 User:N/A Computer:YBEXCHANGE Description:"OALGen encountered error 80004005 while cleaning the offline address list public folders under /o=Yuengling Brewery/cn=addrlists/cn=oabs/cn=Default Offline Address List. Please make sure the public folder store is mounted and replicas exist of the offline address list folders. No offline address lists have be...

Find Future Value of a Savings Account
I am trying to set up a spreadsheet that determines the future value of a savings account. Take a look at the FV function in XL Help. In article <EC8EEB72-AF22-47D8-A266-839CA9356725@microsoft.com>, "gingerjane" <gingerjane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to set up a spreadsheet that determines the future value of a > savings account. ...

Nightmare Bug. !! Plz Help
hi all at once when i try to edit or open some forms i got such error msg "There isn't enough memory to perfrom this operation. close unneeded programs and try the operation again." I have 1GB Ram so it is sure silly msg !! what to do thanks plz help -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200802/1 What version of Access are we talking about here? By any chance does this involve moving from one version to another? -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2...

VBA Help #4
Hi, I have a list of clients with their associated outstanding dollar amount and their return (%). I would like to know if there is code that would allow me to break up these clients by return (%) groupings. For example, I would like to group below 10%, 10% to 17%, and above 17%. So at the client on the list that is just before 10% I would like to add two rows and put a dollar subtotal in the immediate row and sum the dollar amounts. Can anyone help? Thanks, Marino Public Sub ProcessData() Const TEST_COLUMN As String = "A" '<=== change to suit Dim i As Long Dim LastR...

Edit Find defaults to rows
Hi, Am looking for a way to change the default Edit-Find by rows and formulas to bu columns and values. Help text advises that columnar searches are more efficient; there MUST be a way to select that as default. Help, please. TIA Ken. Put this in the workbook_open event of your personal.xls: Private Sub Workbook_Open() On Error Resume Next n = Cells.Find("XYZ", searchorder:=xlByColumns).Row End Sub It will find nothing, but it will "set" the default finds to search by columns. Bob Umlas Excel MVP "Ken Schmidt" <kenschm@cs.com> wr...

We would love To Help You With Your Microsoft Dynamics GP Issues
If you are having issues with Microsoft Dynamics GP- reports, need training, upgrades, ongoing support, or anything of the such- please feel free to email us at mtatum@integritymbs.com, or call us at 888.869.4090 ext 705. We would love to assist you. We provide install, implementation, ongoing services, training, customization, report writing, troubleshooting and much more. ...

SHIFT/F2 MEMO FIELD
I have a Memo field in a form that goes into overide mode when focus is given. I have corrected this with the Event - On Enter = NOTES.SelStart = 0 this puts the memo field in a Insert mode - which is what I want. Sometimes the user triggers the SHIFT/F2 Function to expand the memo field , which resets the memo into the overide mode again. Could someone help me with the code for the Shift/f2 to set the memo back to insert mode? Thanks. the F2 function key toggles the user between the insertion point and selecting the whole field. You should teach this to your users. This is the...

Need help changing cell value when another value changes
I have this code: Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Address = ("$D$5") Then If Range("$Q$9").Value <> "CA" Then Range("$N$32").Value = "Out of State" Else: Range("$N$32").Value = "In-State" End If End If End Sub I want the value in cell N32 to change based on what I have in cell Q when I enter data into cell D5 and press enter. It only works after I click on cell D5 (after changing d5 and pressin enter) What am i missing -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You ...

Please help to give outer join instead of inner join
I want to list all the employees from employee eventhough not existing in holiday SELECT employee.company, employee.recordid, employee.employee, employee.holsallow, employee.hrs_holiday, Holiday.datefrom, Holiday.dateto, Holiday.descr, Holiday.ho_hrs, Holiday.ho_mts, FROM employee, Holiday WHERE ( Holiday.employeeid = employee.recordid ) order by Holiday.employeeid, Holiday.datefrom Please help With thanks Pol Hi pol, What i would normally do is change the FROM statement to the following: FROM employee left join ...