Uprage to 2003 from 2000 - Mailbox weirdnesses

Hello,
Over the weekend I have installed an exchange 2003 server within the same
domain as an exchange 2000 server.
All is going well except this morning I am getting alot of reports from
users that they're emails are bouncing back with a "mailbox over the size
limit error"
I normally hear of these all the time, but I'm finding that this morning
I've gotten a lot of complaints.

When I look at the users mailbox in ESM, for some reason alot of them are
much larger than the size limit that they have on their mailboxes. For
instance, one user has a limit of 350000 yet his mailbox is near 500000.
Do the mailboxes in exchange 2003 take up more server space than they do on
an Exchange 200 server? This seems to be the case but I can't find any info
on it...

TIA,
-Dave
0
DaveClark (3)

Did you move the mailboxes with Exmerge?

According to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;175481,
you don't lose single instance storage if you move the mailboxes within the
same administrative group (need Exchange 2003 SP1 for cross admin groups).
This does not apply if you used exmerge.

Will
http://www.exchange-forums.com

"Dave Clark" <DaveClark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> Over the weekend I have installed an exchange 2003 server within the same
> domain as an exchange 2000 server.
> All is going well except this morning I am getting alot of reports from
> users that they're emails are bouncing back with a "mailbox over the size
> limit error"
> I normally hear of these all the time, but I'm finding that this morning
> I've gotten a lot of complaints.
>
> When I look at the users mailbox in ESM, for some reason alot of them are
> much larger than the size limit that they have on their mailboxes. For
> instance, one user has a limit of 350000 yet his mailbox is near 500000.
> Do the mailboxes in exchange 2003 take up more server space than they do
> on
> an Exchange 200 server? This seems to be the case but I can't find any
> info
> on it...
>
> TIA,
> -Dave

0
Will
6/6/2005 6:36:44 PM
I did not use Exmerge based and based on that article, Exchange 2003 SP1
(which I am running) works the same as long as the move mailbox wizard is
used. Only earlier versions seem to need Exmerge according to that. Unless
having the 2000 server means that I need to use it. I would assume not though
since I moved all of the mailboxes on the 2003 server.

Another thing that came to mind is that when I was moving over the
mailboxes, I ran out of space on the logfiles drive, which caused  a few
mailbox moves to fail. After relocating the logfiles to a larger drive, they
copied over just fine. I don't recall if the users having the problem are
among those who failed, but do you think it's possible that them failing has
something to do with the increase in mailbox size?

Thanks again!
-Dave

"Will" wrote:

> Did you move the mailboxes with Exmerge?
>
> According to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;175481,
> you don't lose single instance storage if you move the mailboxes within the
> same administrative group (need Exchange 2003 SP1 for cross admin groups).
> This does not apply if you used exmerge.
>

> Will
> http://www.exchange-forums.com
>

> "Dave Clark" <DaveClark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > Over the weekend I have installed an exchange 2003 server within the same
> > domain as an exchange 2000 server.
> > All is going well except this morning I am getting alot of reports from
> > users that they're emails are bouncing back with a "mailbox over the size
> > limit error"
> > I normally hear of these all the time, but I'm finding that this morning
> > I've gotten a lot of complaints.
> >
> > When I look at the users mailbox in ESM, for some reason alot of them are
> > much larger than the size limit that they have on their mailboxes. For
> > instance, one user has a limit of 350000 yet his mailbox is near 500000.
> > Do the mailboxes in exchange 2003 take up more server space than they do
> > on
> > an Exchange 200 server? This seems to be the case but I can't find any
> > info
> > on it...
> >
> > TIA,
> > -Dave

0
DaveClark (3)

Outlook 2003 BCM and Exchange 5.5
Is Outlook 2003 BCM compatible with Exchange 5.5..? I installed it as an add on...and it doens't work. Any ideas/advice would be helpful. Thanx in advance. No, BCM doesn't work with Exchange. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "Jim C" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ab0701c3b85a$d85fcbb0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is Outlook 2003 BCM compatible with Exch...

Right click in Outlook 2000 SR-1
The menu doesn't appear when right clicking on messages. There is no problem right clicking in any aother application or with the Windows 2000 OS. ...

Error with domain trusts
Morning all, I've struggling to establish domain traust between 2 Windows 2003 domain controllers: Domain A Domain Functional Level Windows 2003 Native Forest Functional Level Windows 2000 Domain B Domain Functional Level Windows 2000 Native Forest Functional Level Windows 2000 I've setup a DNS zone on each of the domains DC's as a secondary from it's opposite and zone transfers are working, I;ve also created an HOSTS file entry for both domains DC's on their opposits. When I validate the trusts I get this message: Domain B validating Domain A: ...

Converting Express to Outlook 2003
I have just recently switched from express to outlook 2003. When entering the first couple of letters from a contact in my address book the name does not automatically appear as it does in express. How can I fix this problem? I have already imported all email addresses from express to outlook. The auto-complete addresses will be available after you first enter the address. This is different from OE. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After fur...

Exchange 2003 Recovery
Helo NG, at this time we`ve Problems with our Exchange 2003 Server. It has been deleted a single Mailbox without a Bricklevel Backup. Now the last full Backup is from April 15th and the DB Logs are from 05.05 until today. Is it possible to recover the Database with this Logfiles into a different ADS/Exchange Organisation ? any suggestions...... thx So you have a deleted mailbox and you want to get it back, correct? Have you tried to use the Deleted Mailbox recovery: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF022.html -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msex...

Excel 2003
Hi all Excel Gurus, I need help. I have an excel workbook with a sheet called template and i want to create a button to copy a selection of data which is B9:B34 and i need it to paste the information to another excel workbook with a sheet called data which will be A:AA and add each row when pressed. When the data has been copied over i need it to close the data sheet. Can someone help me please? When you copy a range of cells you only have to specify in the destination l;ocation the 1st cell of the range like I did below. Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() FName ...

Excel 2003
When I click on the end of a formula in a cell, I usually get all the associated cells highlighted with different coloured borders. I have one workbook with several sheets where this no longer happens on just one sheet. Is there some option I need to turn on in the sheet to make the coloured cell borders appear? Or might it be something to do with very recently using automaic update to bring my Office 2003 up to date? Any assistance much appreciated. Tom Walker You should always get *exactly* the same actions if you would click in the formula bar. As far as having the cell itself h...

Outlook 2003 & CRM 3.0 connection error after install.
I am having trouble getting Outlook to connect to my crm server using the laptop installation version. When opening Outlook, I get the error "There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft CRM Server." I have tried uninstall and then reinstall but no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting this issue resolved? Thanks! I have found that if you have any kind of pop-up blocker, the Outlook client will throw an error like that (after waiting for a long time). In my case, I disabled the built-in pop-up blocker that comes with XPsp2 and then it was fine. To ch...

SBS 2003: adding Exchange services to Outlook 2003
On 3 out of 8 new computers added to the domain, I am unable to add the Exchange service to Outlook 2003 for the shared public folders and contacts. I receive the following message: "The action could not be completed. The connection to the MS Exch Srvr is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete the action." All other services are availabe to these "problem" users: One of these users was an existing user that received a new workstation; the other 2 users are new as are their workstations. Any thoughts? Thanks. Michael In news:1D0046BA-38...

downloaded emails disappear in Outlook 2003
Hi I've noticed that emails disappear in Outlook2003 (my pst file was 300 Mo). I have deleted a lot of emails and now my pst file is 200 Mo but I still have the emails disappear. Any idea on the origin of that problem? Thanks Faith Check to see if you have a view applied or if you are sorting by the icon. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Faith@yaho...

Outlook Web Access Problems (SBS 2003)
Wonder if any one can help... We use Outlook Web Access and until last week we have never had any problems.... (SBS 2003) I get to the login screen and put my username and password in and I get the error "You could not be logged on to Outlook Web Access. Ensure that your user name and password are correct, and then try again." I've tested the login as both the user the admininstrator and internally on the server and I get the same problem... I'm not aware that we have installed any new apps or made any changes recently Any ideas....?, the users just seem to have los...

transaction matching
Similar to other problems previously posted here, downloaded transactions were being matched to future instances, even though the correct one (within 1 or 2 days) was already entered. I couldn't unmatch (choosing that and clicking done resulted in nothing at all happening, could only cancel out). The older transactions would not show up if I chose to match to another entry (options was set to 60 days). I changed the setting to 10 days and now I can see all of them and manually fix the match. So something seems buggy in those settings. Maybe this might help some of the others with s...

Exchange 2003 mount public db
Hi, I have Exchange 2003 SP2 on SBS Server. On of my customer losed old mail on a public folder and I need to restore emails. I have the database file that contains the emails but i wouldn't stop exchange mount the old db (DBOLD) create e pst of email, dismount the db and mount the official db. It's too dangerous! Then I reinstall the same machine on a server with the same domain, organization, Admnistrative group of Exchange. Dismount the original db and I try to mount the db of the other server (DBOLD). I receive an error like this: The information store could not be loaded bec...

Exch 2003 SP2
Following the typical procedures below I am able to update one node at time of the Exchange 2003 servers to SP2. As per recommendation below, I applied Exch2003 SP2 to one offline Node1. Then when I attempt to "move resources" to node Node2, I noticed that failover doesn't complete - Systems Attendant fails to get started. In my pre-production environment, I was able to instal the Exch2003 SP2 only upon taking the resources "offline" in the Cluster administrator tool. Then I was able to install the Exch2003SP2 on both nodes, upgrade the Virtual Exchange server an...

Default Language in Outlook 2003
Hi, How do I set the default spell check language? (Outlook 2003 running on Win XP professional). I keep setting it to default UK, but it stays as US, how can I permantley removed the US option?, I don't even have the US language in 'Regional and Language Option'. Thanks ...

GP Dynamics 9 and Windows 2003 Service Pack 2
If we install Windows 2003 service pack 2, would this interfer with our current version of GP Dynamics 9.0? Chris, Should be no problem, we have customers running it with GP 9.0. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions, Inc. "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25D4E1BA-CF22-45EE-97F2-9BE2244D590D@microsoft.com... > If we install Windows 2003 service pack 2, would this interfer with our > current version of GP Dynamics 9.0? thank you for quick response.... much appreciated! "Victoria [MVP]" wrote: > Chris, ...

Storage limitations on user mailboxes
OK This is part of a two part question. Where does one look or check to see if there are any limitations as far as storage on a individual mailbox or the whole private store? Second is there a limitation as far as how many emails can reside in the users "Inobx" where senders will get a NDR indicating the users mailbox is full. Ive checked ESM\Servers\servername\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store\Properties. I had a user who would get NDR's when "forwarding" messages. I noticed her "Sent" mail had over 2,400 emails so I deleted some and got it down to aro...

Outlook 2000 Won't Send, But Outlook Express 6 Does Send
All of a sudden, about ten days ago, Outlook 2000 under Win98 stopped sending emails (they stayed in the Out folder, but never went anywhere). Ultimately, I get the error, "a timeout occurred while communicating with the server . . . ." After confirming my Outlook settings with my ISP (I had not changed them, but wanted to make sure a program or the system hadn't), I tried Outlook Express 6, which has the same settings and works fine. I then applied all MS's updates to Win98 and Outlook, and have now used Outlook's "Detect and Repair". Still not luc...

Exchange 2000 Sending out old Emails When ever Exchange Service is restarted
I have a single exchange server that is sending out old emails whenever the Exchange Service is restarted. It is alwasy the same emails and they go to post inside and outside recipients. As long as I don't restart the Exchange Service, everything is fine. This has been going on about a month, but I need to spend some time getting it resolved now. Any pointers? I haven't turned up much in searching for myself. Thanks Jason- If you look in the folders for your SMTP Service, particuarly drop, queue, and pickup, are there old messages in there? By default this folder is in C:\program fi...

How to log mailbox activity? Exch 5.5
We are running Exchange 5.5. This morning a department head asked me to log incoming and outgoing activity (including time messages were sent) for one employee. I have looked through MS Knowledge Base and the FAQ's here, along with doing a search here. No luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks. In Exchange 5.5 Open the Exchange Admin program and go to Configuration> Connections> Internet Mail Service > Diagnostics and Logging. On the MS Exchange IMC select the Items to monitor and level. Make sure that on the Internet Mail tab that message tracking is enabl...

OWA hangs after moving mailboxes to another Exchange Server
After moving a group of mailboxes to another Exchange Store on another Server, clients cannot login to OWA. The OWA logon is successful but the mailbox never loads in the IE page. Clients with mailboxes on other Exchange Servers do not experience this problem. No errors are occurring onscreen or in the event logs. Any ideas? On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 07:58:32 -0800, JDavis <JDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >After moving a group of mailboxes to another Exchange Store on another >Server, clients cannot login to OWA. The OWA logon is successful but the >mailbox never ...

Outlook 2003 won't start under Windows 7
Reinstalled Office 2003 after converting to W7. This error message appears immediately after starting OL: "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The information store could not be opened." Try; Start Run Outlook.exe /resetnavpane (space between exe /) "Kay" <Kay@kayknapp.com> wrote in message news:eYf7cZufKHA.2184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Reinstalled Office 2003 after converting to W7. This error message > appears immediately after starting OL: > > "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The information store ...

Outlook 2003
My girlfriend is having a problem with Outlook 2003, where after the program has been running for a half-hour or so, and opens a new letter, the message pane loses focus and ends up BELOW the main Outlook window, instead of in front of it. The result is that the only way she can read the letter is to minimize the main Outlook window -- which isn't really an ideal solution, and rather a pain the butt. If she shuts down Outlook, then restarts it, all is fine again ... until another half- hour or so later. It's very frustrating. Anybody have any theories here? I'm guessin...

Problem with Outlook 2003 BCM and offline files
Hello! I have a client with SBS 2003 and Outlook 2003. Whenever he logs off if his LAN workstation, he gets an error stating "Offline files (\\server\Users) Unable to make 'Contact Management database [1].MDB available offline on (UNC to his My Docs). Files of this type cannot be made available offline." As a side note, has anyone had trouble with Google Groups searches lately, say in the last week? I can search for items inside quotation marks such as "files of this type cannot be made available offline" and I get few hits, sometimes none. If I search without q...

Mailbox for User in trusted NT domain
Hi. Wi habe Ex2k migrated from Ex5.5 and made object replication with ADC. ADC created disabled user accounts for mailboxes with prjimary NT-accounts in a trusted Windows NT - domain. After comnplete replication I uninstalled ADC. How can I manually create accounts in ADS corresponding to new accounts that have been created in the trusted windows NT domain after uninstalling the ADC. I think there must be a way but I could not find out one. Thanks and regards Guenther Ruehmann You should have been running ADMT in conjunction with the ADC so that you could first migrate all of your NT acco...