Upgrade from Exchange 2000 to Exchange server 2003

I currently running Exchange 2000 server in a one domain forest. We have one
Windows server 2003  DC and three windows 2000 server  DC. The Windows
Server 2003 is the FSMO. All DCs are GC. The Exchange 2000  Server is
running on a member server and on Windows 2000 server OS. I want to upgrade
to Windows Server 2003, what is the best way to do this? I have a new server
installed with Windows Server 2003 as a member server. I am thinking of
installing the Exchange server 2003 on this box.

What is the best approach to upgrade the Exchange Server to 2003.

0
oludan (16)

sounds like a good idea; install exchange 2003 on the new box and move all
your mailboxes and public folders over
here are some documents worth looking at:

Considerations when you upgrade to Exchange Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;822942

You Cannot Install Exchange 2000 on a Computer That Is Running Windows
Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;321648

Upgrading from Exchange 2000 Server to Exchange Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/Ex2k3DepGuide/428e1090-c8a4-492c-9079-92ff2b588d55.mspx

"OD" <oludan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I currently running Exchange 2000 server in a one domain forest. We have
>one Windows server 2003  DC and three windows 2000 server  DC. The Windows
>Server 2003 is the FSMO. All DCs are GC. The Exchange 2000  Server is
>running on a member server and on Windows 2000 server OS. I want to upgrade
>to Windows Server 2003, what is the best way to do this? I have a new
>server installed with Windows Server 2003 as a member server. I am thinking
>of installing the Exchange server 2003 on this box.
>
> What is the best approach to upgrade the Exchange Server to 2003.

0
seth7504 (38)

Outlook 2003 BCM and Exchange 5.5
Is Outlook 2003 BCM compatible with Exchange 5.5..? I installed it as an add on...and it doens't work. Any ideas/advice would be helpful. Thanx in advance. No, BCM doesn't work with Exchange. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "Jim C" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ab0701c3b85a$d85fcbb0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is Outlook 2003 BCM compatible with Exch...

Right click in Outlook 2000 SR-1
The menu doesn't appear when right clicking on messages. There is no problem right clicking in any aother application or with the Windows 2000 OS. ...

Error with domain trusts
Morning all, I've struggling to establish domain traust between 2 Windows 2003 domain controllers: Domain A Domain Functional Level Windows 2003 Native Forest Functional Level Windows 2000 Domain B Domain Functional Level Windows 2000 Native Forest Functional Level Windows 2000 I've setup a DNS zone on each of the domains DC's as a secondary from it's opposite and zone transfers are working, I;ve also created an HOSTS file entry for both domains DC's on their opposits. When I validate the trusts I get this message: Domain B validating Domain A: ...

Converting Express to Outlook 2003
I have just recently switched from express to outlook 2003. When entering the first couple of letters from a contact in my address book the name does not automatically appear as it does in express. How can I fix this problem? I have already imported all email addresses from express to outlook. The auto-complete addresses will be available after you first enter the address. This is different from OE. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After fur...

Exchange 2003 Recovery
Helo NG, at this time we`ve Problems with our Exchange 2003 Server. It has been deleted a single Mailbox without a Bricklevel Backup. Now the last full Backup is from April 15th and the DB Logs are from 05.05 until today. Is it possible to recover the Database with this Logfiles into a different ADS/Exchange Organisation ? any suggestions...... thx So you have a deleted mailbox and you want to get it back, correct? Have you tried to use the Deleted Mailbox recovery: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF022.html -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msex...

Excel 2003
When I click on the end of a formula in a cell, I usually get all the associated cells highlighted with different coloured borders. I have one workbook with several sheets where this no longer happens on just one sheet. Is there some option I need to turn on in the sheet to make the coloured cell borders appear? Or might it be something to do with very recently using automaic update to bring my Office 2003 up to date? Any assistance much appreciated. Tom Walker You should always get *exactly* the same actions if you would click in the formula bar. As far as having the cell itself h...

Excel 2003
Hi all Excel Gurus, I need help. I have an excel workbook with a sheet called template and i want to create a button to copy a selection of data which is B9:B34 and i need it to paste the information to another excel workbook with a sheet called data which will be A:AA and add each row when pressed. When the data has been copied over i need it to close the data sheet. Can someone help me please? When you copy a range of cells you only have to specify in the destination l;ocation the 1st cell of the range like I did below. Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() FName ...

Outlook 2003 & CRM 3.0 connection error after install.
I am having trouble getting Outlook to connect to my crm server using the laptop installation version. When opening Outlook, I get the error "There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft CRM Server." I have tried uninstall and then reinstall but no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting this issue resolved? Thanks! I have found that if you have any kind of pop-up blocker, the Outlook client will throw an error like that (after waiting for a long time). In my case, I disabled the built-in pop-up blocker that comes with XPsp2 and then it was fine. To ch...

SBS 2003: adding Exchange services to Outlook 2003
On 3 out of 8 new computers added to the domain, I am unable to add the Exchange service to Outlook 2003 for the shared public folders and contacts. I receive the following message: "The action could not be completed. The connection to the MS Exch Srvr is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete the action." All other services are availabe to these "problem" users: One of these users was an existing user that received a new workstation; the other 2 users are new as are their workstations. Any thoughts? Thanks. Michael In news:1D0046BA-38...

Can't send external msgs on new Ex2K server in 5.5 site.
Hello, I just installed a Exchange 2000 SP3 server in an existing 5.5 site containing only one server, after following the standard procedure of configuring and running ADC CAs. I've moved one mailbox from the 5.5 server to the 2000 server as a test. I can send messages to it from the 5.5 site, but it cannot send messages outside of the 2000 server. What did I forget please?! Ideally, I wanted to keep the old 5.5 server as a bridgehead server, at least for the time being. One more thing, we share the domain amongst Exchange and another mail system via SMTP routing on Sendmail. T...

downloaded emails disappear in Outlook 2003
Hi I've noticed that emails disappear in Outlook2003 (my pst file was 300 Mo). I have deleted a lot of emails and now my pst file is 200 Mo but I still have the emails disappear. Any idea on the origin of that problem? Thanks Faith Check to see if you have a view applied or if you are sorting by the icon. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Faith@yaho...

Outlook Web Access Problems (SBS 2003)
Wonder if any one can help... We use Outlook Web Access and until last week we have never had any problems.... (SBS 2003) I get to the login screen and put my username and password in and I get the error "You could not be logged on to Outlook Web Access. Ensure that your user name and password are correct, and then try again." I've tested the login as both the user the admininstrator and internally on the server and I get the same problem... I'm not aware that we have installed any new apps or made any changes recently Any ideas....?, the users just seem to have los...

Exchange 2003 mount public db
Hi, I have Exchange 2003 SP2 on SBS Server. On of my customer losed old mail on a public folder and I need to restore emails. I have the database file that contains the emails but i wouldn't stop exchange mount the old db (DBOLD) create e pst of email, dismount the db and mount the official db. It's too dangerous! Then I reinstall the same machine on a server with the same domain, organization, Admnistrative group of Exchange. Dismount the original db and I try to mount the db of the other server (DBOLD). I receive an error like this: The information store could not be loaded bec...

Exch 2003 SP2
Following the typical procedures below I am able to update one node at time of the Exchange 2003 servers to SP2. As per recommendation below, I applied Exch2003 SP2 to one offline Node1. Then when I attempt to "move resources" to node Node2, I noticed that failover doesn't complete - Systems Attendant fails to get started. In my pre-production environment, I was able to instal the Exch2003 SP2 only upon taking the resources "offline" in the Cluster administrator tool. Then I was able to install the Exch2003SP2 on both nodes, upgrade the Virtual Exchange server an...

Default Language in Outlook 2003
Hi, How do I set the default spell check language? (Outlook 2003 running on Win XP professional). I keep setting it to default UK, but it stays as US, how can I permantley removed the US option?, I don't even have the US language in 'Regional and Language Option'. Thanks ...

GP Dynamics 9 and Windows 2003 Service Pack 2
If we install Windows 2003 service pack 2, would this interfer with our current version of GP Dynamics 9.0? Chris, Should be no problem, we have customers running it with GP 9.0. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions, Inc. "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25D4E1BA-CF22-45EE-97F2-9BE2244D590D@microsoft.com... > If we install Windows 2003 service pack 2, would this interfer with our > current version of GP Dynamics 9.0? thank you for quick response.... much appreciated! "Victoria [MVP]" wrote: > Chris, ...

Outlook 2000 Won't Send, But Outlook Express 6 Does Send
All of a sudden, about ten days ago, Outlook 2000 under Win98 stopped sending emails (they stayed in the Out folder, but never went anywhere). Ultimately, I get the error, "a timeout occurred while communicating with the server . . . ." After confirming my Outlook settings with my ISP (I had not changed them, but wanted to make sure a program or the system hadn't), I tried Outlook Express 6, which has the same settings and works fine. I then applied all MS's updates to Win98 and Outlook, and have now used Outlook's "Detect and Repair". Still not luc...

Office 2004: Upgrade on OSX from OS9
We have office 2004 installed and I have just had a machine go down. We were unable to reinstall Tiger so purchased Leopard and installed. As our copies are upgrades we need access to previous installation. When we originally migrated from office 98 we had then classic environment but now we don't. Any pointers would be welcomed. Thanks Carl Thomas Pindar www.pindar.com "carl.pindar@gmail.com" wrote: > We have office 2004 installed and I have just had a machine go down. > We were unable to reinstall Tiger so purchased Leopard and installed. > As our copies are upgrad...

Exchange 2000 Sending out old Emails When ever Exchange Service is restarted
I have a single exchange server that is sending out old emails whenever the Exchange Service is restarted. It is alwasy the same emails and they go to post inside and outside recipients. As long as I don't restart the Exchange Service, everything is fine. This has been going on about a month, but I need to spend some time getting it resolved now. Any pointers? I haven't turned up much in searching for myself. Thanks Jason- If you look in the folders for your SMTP Service, particuarly drop, queue, and pickup, are there old messages in there? By default this folder is in C:\program fi...

OWA hangs after moving mailboxes to another Exchange Server
After moving a group of mailboxes to another Exchange Store on another Server, clients cannot login to OWA. The OWA logon is successful but the mailbox never loads in the IE page. Clients with mailboxes on other Exchange Servers do not experience this problem. No errors are occurring onscreen or in the event logs. Any ideas? On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 07:58:32 -0800, JDavis <JDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >After moving a group of mailboxes to another Exchange Store on another >Server, clients cannot login to OWA. The OWA logon is successful but the >mailbox never ...

Exchange 5.5 On W2K Services Won't Initialize
I have a Windows 2000 AD Server. Which has Exchange 5.5 installed on it. For some reason now the following services won't start. Exchange Event Service Internet Mail Service Message Transfer Agent System Attendant When I do try and start these services this error comes up: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b) Click on OK to terminate the application. Then when I do this one comes up. Error 1053, the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. In the event logs I get this as well Source:...

Upgrade 7.5 to 10 ?
Currently running: GP 7.5 / SQL 2000. Is there a migration path that we could go from 7.5 to 10, or would we have to go from 7.5 to 9.0 and then 9.0 to 10 you can't go directly from 7.5 > 10.0 I would recomend going from 7.5 > 9.0 SP3 (or the latest service pack) Then going from 9.0 SQL 2000 to 9.0 SQL 2005 Thn going from 9.0 SP3 to 10.0 SP 1 Note that the service packs are important. There are notes in the upgrade path that indicate you need the service pack installed prior to running utilities. "Laura Anne" wrote: > Currently running: GP 7.5 / SQL 2000. ...

Outlook 2003 won't start under Windows 7
Reinstalled Office 2003 after converting to W7. This error message appears immediately after starting OL: "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The information store could not be opened." Try; Start Run Outlook.exe /resetnavpane (space between exe /) "Kay" <Kay@kayknapp.com> wrote in message news:eYf7cZufKHA.2184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Reinstalled Office 2003 after converting to W7. This error message > appears immediately after starting OL: > > "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The information store ...

Outlook 2003
My girlfriend is having a problem with Outlook 2003, where after the program has been running for a half-hour or so, and opens a new letter, the message pane loses focus and ends up BELOW the main Outlook window, instead of in front of it. The result is that the only way she can read the letter is to minimize the main Outlook window -- which isn't really an ideal solution, and rather a pain the butt. If she shuts down Outlook, then restarts it, all is fine again ... until another half- hour or so later. It's very frustrating. Anybody have any theories here? I'm guessin...

Problem with Outlook 2003 BCM and offline files
Hello! I have a client with SBS 2003 and Outlook 2003. Whenever he logs off if his LAN workstation, he gets an error stating "Offline files (\\server\Users) Unable to make 'Contact Management database [1].MDB available offline on (UNC to his My Docs). Files of this type cannot be made available offline." As a side note, has anyone had trouble with Google Groups searches lately, say in the last week? I can search for items inside quotation marks such as "files of this type cannot be made available offline" and I get few hits, sometimes none. If I search without q...