Unknown outgoing mail

I am running SBS 2003 and every 2 weeks I get reports showing how many emails 
each user has sent. I notice that the Administrator account has sent 436 
emails in the last 2 weeks. As I am the only person who knows the 
Administrator password and I have not sent any emails using this account I 
know something is not right. I have looked in the queues and there is mail 
which is going to alsorts of funny addresses from the postmaster which I 
assume is the Administrator. So it would seem that my Exchange server or 
something is sending out Spam. I have McAfee Group Shield installed and 
McAfee Virus Scan running. Both are up to date and can not detect any viruses 
on there.

How do I figure out what is generating this mail?
I have frozen some of the queues, is it possible to delete this mail from 
the queues?
I send email via DNS and I receive email via SMTP, is it possibly down to an 
open relay? I have tried securing the relay some more but that just stops 
mail coming in.
I do not have Anti-Spam software running but I am about to purchase McAfee 
Anti-Spam to plug into GroupShield will this solve my problem?

Thanks for your help!
0
11/15/2005 10:59:02 AM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

3 Replies
393 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 51

Hi Duncan

It seems that you Exchange box is RECEIVING spam for non existent mail
addresses and formulates a reply like: no such user in this domain.
There are ways to configure this behaviour on different levels. I'd
rather live with it.

Regards,

Ulf

> As I am the only person who knows the
> Administrator password and I have not sent any emails using this account I
> know something is not right. I have looked in the queues and there is mail
> which is going to alsorts of funny addresses from the postmaster which I
> assume is the Administrator. So it would seem that my Exchange server or
> something is sending out Spam.
> Thanks for your help! 


0
uh (10)
11/15/2005 12:01:40 PM
Hi Duncan,
Can you share me how to generate that type of weekly reports on how many
emails each user has sent?
Many thanks!

"Duncan Boxwell" <DuncanBoxwell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4E295C40-1C71-41BF-9CAD-111125A97603@microsoft.com...
> I am running SBS 2003 and every 2 weeks I get reports showing how many
emails
> each user has sent. I notice that the Administrator account has sent 436
> emails in the last 2 weeks. As I am the only person who knows the
> Administrator password and I have not sent any emails using this account I
> know something is not right. I have looked in the queues and there is mail
> which is going to alsorts of funny addresses from the postmaster which I
> assume is the Administrator. So it would seem that my Exchange server or
> something is sending out Spam. I have McAfee Group Shield installed and
> McAfee Virus Scan running. Both are up to date and can not detect any
viruses
> on there.
>
> How do I figure out what is generating this mail?
> I have frozen some of the queues, is it possible to delete this mail from
> the queues?
> I send email via DNS and I receive email via SMTP, is it possibly down to
an
> open relay? I have tried securing the relay some more but that just stops
> mail coming in.
> I do not have Anti-Spam software running but I am about to purchase McAfee
> Anti-Spam to plug into GroupShield will this solve my problem?
>
> Thanks for your help!


0
leemutpo (79)
11/15/2005 12:21:00 PM
Hi Leemutpo

It is a report which come with SBS 2003. In Server Management go to the To 
Do List and click the link 'Configure Monitoring' this will run you through a 
wizard of how to set it up. If you are not running SBS 2003 then I do not 
know if it is possible.

Thanks

"Leemutpo" wrote:

> Hi Duncan,
> Can you share me how to generate that type of weekly reports on how many
> emails each user has sent?
> Many thanks!
> 
> "Duncan Boxwell" <DuncanBoxwell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:4E295C40-1C71-41BF-9CAD-111125A97603@microsoft.com...
> > I am running SBS 2003 and every 2 weeks I get reports showing how many
> emails
> > each user has sent. I notice that the Administrator account has sent 436
> > emails in the last 2 weeks. As I am the only person who knows the
> > Administrator password and I have not sent any emails using this account I
> > know something is not right. I have looked in the queues and there is mail
> > which is going to alsorts of funny addresses from the postmaster which I
> > assume is the Administrator. So it would seem that my Exchange server or
> > something is sending out Spam. I have McAfee Group Shield installed and
> > McAfee Virus Scan running. Both are up to date and can not detect any
> viruses
> > on there.
> >
> > How do I figure out what is generating this mail?
> > I have frozen some of the queues, is it possible to delete this mail from
> > the queues?
> > I send email via DNS and I receive email via SMTP, is it possibly down to
> an
> > open relay? I have tried securing the relay some more but that just stops
> > mail coming in.
> > I do not have Anti-Spam software running but I am about to purchase McAfee
> > Anti-Spam to plug into GroupShield will this solve my problem?
> >
> > Thanks for your help!
> 
> 
> 
0
11/15/2005 4:59:04 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How to Find and export e-mails from a perticular address?
Can anyone help me out on this? Thanks in advance, Bryan Kent Hi Bryan, If you have an account with service level permissions, you can use either the Exchange Migration Wizard or Exmerge. Using either of these tools will allow selection of a users Exchange mailbox and export to a PST file. Regards -- Ben Hoffman MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin) http://www.ExchangeIS.com "Bryan Kent" <NoSpam@here.com> wrote in message news:OU6Wzq6aFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Can anyone help me out on this? > > Thanks in advance, > Bryan Kent >...

Cannot access some sort of mail items in exchange 2003
Hi everyone, I just migrated my 140 MBX to a new ex2k3/w2k3 server and everything worked fine except, that in some mailboxes, some items are not accessible. Problem A: User A and B cannot access PGP encrypted messages, that they sent to other people. Problem B: User C and D cannot access mails which they have replied to or they have forwarded. For Problem B I moved the mailboxes back to my "old" exchange running ex2k/w2k and everything worked again. In both cases it is possible to see the first charakters of the mail using the auto-preview. When I try to view the items in the pr...

multipul downloads of mail
My outlook downloads mail that I have already downloaded and read. I end up with lots of copies of the same mail. I have tried everything I know to stop this. I have altered settings to delete mail on server ,but still it persists. Any help gratefully received. dixy <q@easynet.co.uk> wrote: > My outlook downloads mail that I have already downloaded and read. I > end up with lots of copies of the same mail. > I have tried everything I know to stop this. I have altered settings > to delete mail on server ,but still it persists. > Any help gratefully received. Ask onc...

Assign e-mail address to public folder?
Hello, Is it possible to assign an e-mail address to a public folder? For example, have the address department@company.com routed to a public folder called "Department" so that any e-mail sent to that address from the internet would end up in that folder. Thank you, ~Jaye I may be wrong but I believe by default all public folders are mail enabled upon creation. Check the properties on the folder in question. Go to the E-Mail Addresses tab and check to see if they have a SMTP address and a SMTP.local address. "Jaye" <unknown@unknown.com> wrote in message...

Mail sending fails to just one company
Hi all, We're using SBS Server 2003, and everything works just fine. Mostly. One (and only one) of our clients has problems receiving mail from us (but not sending to us). Examining the logs and so forth, the connection to the server being (EHLO/HELO MAIL FROM, RCPT TO) with no problems. Once a BDAT or DATA is sent (I tried changing modes just to see if it might just be a weird protocol bug) then nothing else appears to occur and after a while the connection times out and the message remains in the queue to retry, timing out after the configured time as expected (2 days) for a...

Vista Mail, Auto Send and Recieve
Something changed in my Mail settings. After connecting to the internet, upon opening my Mail program, it would automatically check for Receiving and Sending. A bar would appear above the Task bar, which would show if Mail was actively receiving, and the amount of messages received when finished. This bar no longer appears. And the Auto Send and Recieve does not appear to be working. I can manually click "Send and Recieve" which checks much more quickly now, but I am not sure if it is really working. Some messages seem to be sending and receiving. Was this an upd...

Import Outlook mail messages from an old hard drive?
How can I import Outlook mail messages from an old hard drive(which has it's own Windows XP system) which I have set as slave to my new PC(which run on another Windows XP)? Help please. Kenef <twincubex@yahoo.com> wrote: > How can I import Outlook mail messages from an old hard > drive(which has it's own Windows XP system) which I have > set as slave to my new PC(which run on another Windows > XP)? Help please. Search the old HD for *.pst, enabling searching hidden files and folders. Move what you find to the new HD and open them in Outlook with File>Open>...

Upgraded from test drive 'test drive still coming up on outgoing emails!
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Email Client: imap Downloaded everything, paid my money! and still it reads 'test drive on outgoing emails <br><br>HELP <br><br>Looks really tacky! ...

NDR 5.1.1 caused by deleted delegate for unknown mailbox
I've seen a few posts similar to this, but none of the solutions have helped. A delegate for a users had their mailbox deleted when they left us. We now get NDR's when the existing user gets a meeting request saying that the message couldn't be delivered to the deleted account (who used to be a delegate of theirs). BUT...... we don't know which mailbox is the problem because it always happens from the result of sending emails to an "All Staff" DL. So the solutions posted so far, including the following Microsoft articles don't help because we don't k...

e-mailing spread sheet
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel How do I e-mail a spread sheet and only send the active page. The shaded pages that say &quot;click to add data&quot; go with it as well. > How do I e-mail a spread sheet and only send the active page. The shaded pages that say &quot;click to add data&quot; go with it as well. <br><br>see earlier messaga re this subject titled &quot;sending an excel spreadsheet&quot;; The answers are there ...

can I use Publisher for mail merge on a copier that folds and stap
When I try to use mail merge with a Panasonic FP-D620 copier (duplex printer folds and staples) the printer treats all copies as one job and staples them all together. Can anything be done about this? ...

Outlook e-mail #12
Upgraded to MS Office 2007 yesterday; received e-mail thru Outlook fine until yesterday afternoon. Now, I receive my e-mail but I cannnot read anything because there is nothing there to read. What happened? Turn off email scanning in your antivirus program.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =20 "tractorman13" <tractorman13_54@hot...

Autofill E-mail Addresses?
Hi All, In Outlook Express, I used to add a registry D-String value to the WAB4 folder called "UseOutlook" with a "1" value. This allowed OE to pull my contacts from Outlook and keep the OE and Outlook address books identical. Also and most importantly, when I typed an address, the program filled in the e-mail address after the 1st 2-3 letters automatically. I've upgraded my notebook pc to Vista and am not happy with Windows Mail (the Vista version of OE) because it only fills in the last 29 e-mail addresses sent out. I tried Outlook instead and it doesn't a...

E-mail in Excel
I started to send a worksheet as e-mail through Excel. The To/From/Subject Outlook header appeared in Excel. Now I can't get rid of it in that workbook (I saved the workbook prior to sending e-mail). Header is not in other spreadsheets, so it's somehow tied to this one. Other users on our network can open it on their workstations without the header. Help! Hi Sandra Click on the Mail button again in the standard toolbar and save the file -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Sandra Timm" <Sandra Timm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

AOL Mail settings
Now that AOL is free, does anyone know the correct mail settings for Outlook? Thanks in Advance! Chaz Have you looked on AOL's website for instructions?? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Xaos asked: | Now that AOL is free, does anyone know the correct mail settings for | Outlook? | | Thanks in Advance! | | Chaz "Milly Staples - MVP Outlook" <millys@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> w...

Linked web pages in e-mails do not work
I have 2 windows XP Pro computers. with one of them I can click on a linked web address in an e-mail and it will take me to it. In the other computer it gives me an administrative error. It says this computer is not setup to allow that and that I need to contact my administrator. well I am the adminstrator and I don't know what to do. Please help.... ...

incoming mail format
hi, i want to set all my incoming mails to rich-text format. i can set the mails that i sent but i want to set incoming mails. thanks for your help. my e-mail: kul_omer@yahoo.com G'Day �mer, When you set YOUR mail format (outgoing mail) that is what the addressee receives - you control it! In the same way, people who send you email decide on THEIR outgoing format - and you cannot change it. -- Regards, Pat Garard Australia ______________________________________ ...

Including e-mail accts or not ?? #2
Is there a way to include (or not) e-mail accounts in Outlook whe sending and recieving - as in Outlook Express ?? Thanks Andrew in AL : ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com What version? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, ...

Routing mails to another domain for the same user in this domain
Hi, We have couple of outside vendors in our work place who have their email address here. But they would like to have any email communication that comes to this email address to be either forwarded or sent to their email address. I checked in Exchange 2003 to add their email address but could not do it. Went to the properties of the User / Exchange General / Delivery Options and found that I could only add the email address from my AD and could not add the users outside email address. Any suggestions or is there a way to do it? thanks, Neil We usually create contacts for the ext...

E-mail
Help ! How can I e-mail a newsletter I just made in publisher?? Friends without publisher can't open it. Read http://www.mvps.org/publisher/sharing.html "Kerry" <sean286@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:9D2EC38B-877E-4B7F-9218-6957DE0446E9@microsoft.com... > Help ! How can I e-mail a newsletter I just made in publisher?? Friends without publisher can't open it. Hi Kerry (sean286@hotmail.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Help ! How can I e-mail a newsletter I just made in publisher?? || Friends without publisher can't open it. 1. Which v...

Strange behavior when installing Windows Live Mail
I saw some strange behavior when installing Windows Live Mail on one of my computers. 1. First, the installation apparently completed successfully, but with nothing on the screen that said the program was now accessible. I had to search through the directories for wlmail.exe in order to start the program. 2. It then came up in a mode of importing from Windows Mail - first the accounts, which imported successfully, then the email already downloaded. This hung overnight on importing one of the folders from a gmail IMAP account - apparantly, it needed a human response on what it...

Microsoft Mail Postoffice
Microsoft Mail Postoffice can be installed on a Win98 machine by running wms.exe from the Win98 CD (Tools\Oldwin95\Message\US). Will this proceedure also work on a Win2000 and WinXP Pro machine? Try this for Windows 2000 (you would need to contact microsoft product support and request the package) http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=254458 As for using WMS from a Win98 cd on 2000, it might work. However in looking at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=258211, it looks like you would still need to acquire 2 files from a NT4 CD. First link (254458) has a link to a Windows XP support artic...

Duplicate "undeliverable mail" notices
I send out advertising emails on a daily basis, and of course there are a certain number returned as "undeliverable" for any number of reasons, not the least of which is the dreaded "recipeant's mailbox is over quota". But my main problem with these bounced email notices is that they are coming in duplicate. As I scan down through these, every other one is a duplicate of the one above it. So if there are 200 returned emails, only 100 are necessary. Anyone with a suggestion as to what's happening here, or how to correct it? ...

e-mail attachments blocked when no limit is set in Global Settings
Running Exchange 2003 w/ SP1. Our Exchange server won't accept Internet e-mails with attachments larger than approximately 2MB even though no limit is set in the Global settings. I am running ScanMail and have disabled the scanmail service during troubleshooting but no luck. The sender receives this message: "Your message was rejected by mail.domainname.com for the following reason: 4.3.1 Message size exceeds fixed maximum message size" This has recently started happening in the past week. I believe that previous to me being notified of the issue everytrhing was working fin...

mail merge from excel to coral draw
dear as we mail merge in word from excel, can we mail merge in coral draw from excel, My data is in excel. pls help, its urgent I would start by looking in the help section of Corel Draw. Look for terms like import or merge Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:49:01 -0800, hitesh <hitesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >dear > >as we mail merge in word from excel, >can we mail merge in coral draw from excel, >My data is in excel. > >pls help, its urgent pls not understand. "Gord Dibben" wrote: ...