UNIX and Exchange in the same domain

I have an existing SGI UNIX mail server handling mail for our company. I
added a SBS Exchange 2003 server for some of my clients to have Outlook Web
Access and other features. The UNIX server handles the incoming mail for all
the mail recipients. I put a cost on the incoming Exchange SMTP server so it
doesn’t receive mail for the outside. The users have Outlook 2003 running
with and Exchange server installed and the UNIX mail server installed. When
the Outlook 2003 sends mail thru the Exchange server (which it switches to by
default ever time you launch Outlook 2003) to a user that is in the Exchange
2003 server it bypasses the UNIX server and directly sends it to the Exchange
2003 server mailbox. This is fine except I have many more users on the UNIX
server that I don’t want to put in the Exchange 2003 server (a lot of money
in licenses). When the user sends an internal e-mail to a user that is not
listed in the Exchange 2003 server (but is listed in the UNIX server) it
rejects it. I imagine this is because the Exchange 2003 server thinks there
is no mail box for this user. This only happens on the internal network and
has no effect mail sent or received outside the network. I need people not
listed in the Exchange 2003 sever to be able to receive mail in this domain.
I hope this makes sense? (my first real problem with the mail server and I
might not have explained this right) Has anybody had this problem, how to fix?

"ChrisHicks" <chrishicks@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have an existing SGI UNIX mail server handling mail for our company. I
>added a SBS Exchange 2003 server for some of my clients to have Outlook Web
>Access and other features. The UNIX server handles the incoming mail for all
>the mail recipients. I put a cost on the incoming Exchange SMTP server so it
>doesn�t receive mail for the outside. The users have Outlook 2003 running
>with and Exchange server installed and the UNIX mail server installed. When
>the Outlook 2003 sends mail thru the Exchange server (which it switches to by
>default ever time you launch Outlook 2003) to a user that is in the Exchange
>2003 server it bypasses the UNIX server and directly sends it to the Exchange
>2003 server mailbox. This is fine except I have many more users on the UNIX
>server that I don�t want to put in the Exchange 2003 server (a lot of money
>in licenses). When the user sends an internal e-mail to a user that is not
>listed in the Exchange 2003 server (but is listed in the UNIX server) it
>rejects it. I imagine this is because the Exchange 2003 server thinks there
>is no mail box for this user. This only happens on the internal network and
>has no effect mail sent or received outside the network. I need people not
>listed in the Exchange 2003 sever to be able to receive mail in this domain.
>I hope this makes sense? (my first real problem with the mail server and I
>might not have explained this right) Has anybody had this problem, how to fix?

Sharing an address space is always a problem. You can address this
like this:

In the Exchange "Recipient Policy", select the SMTP address and click
"Edit...". Uncheck the box that says "Ths Exchange Organization is
responsible for all mail delivery to this address".

You won't be able to do that for the SMTP address on the default
recipient policy, though. For that, you can try changing the SMTP
Virtual Server to send all mail with unresolved addresses to your
smarthost.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
richnews (7315)
11/7/2004 10:20:37 PM
Under Connectors I created a second virtual server and entered a smart host
(my UNIX mail server) as well as setting the cost to 1. On the existing SBS
SMTP connector I set the cost to 25 (suggested in a document on your site).
Under Servers, Protocols, SMPT, Properties, and the Messages tab I set the
“Forward all recipients with unresolved addresses to host:” to my UNIX Mail
server. I think this will work I just have to make sure the Exchange users
check there mail thru the Exchange server and not the UNIX server or they
might miss some mail sent internally. I will setup the POP Mail Connector for
these mail boxes since there’s very few. I have two more questions if you
know? Can you enter the actual mail server (mail.server.com) or do you have
to use the IP address like this [202.1.3.4]? Second question is since there
is now two SMTP connectors and under Bridgehead it say’s “Server Name |
Default SMPT Virtual Server” on both the UNIX and the SBS Connector. Should
both of those say Default SMTP Server or should one be removed or should one
what? I don’t know I’ve gone cross eyed. If you know can you post if not
thanks for the help, it’s been very useful and has pretty much solved the
problem. Thanks again.

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> "ChrisHicks" <chrishicks@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I have an existing SGI UNIX mail server handling mail for our company. I
> >added a SBS Exchange 2003 server for some of my clients to have Outlook Web
> >Access and other features. The UNIX server handles the incoming mail for all
> >the mail recipients. I put a cost on the incoming Exchange SMTP server so it
> >doesn’t receive mail for the outside. The users have Outlook 2003 running
> >with and Exchange server installed and the UNIX mail server installed. When
> >the Outlook 2003 sends mail thru the Exchange server (which it switches to by
> >default ever time you launch Outlook 2003) to a user that is in the Exchange
> >2003 server it bypasses the UNIX server and directly sends it to the Exchange
> >2003 server mailbox. This is fine except I have many more users on the UNIX
> >server that I don’t want to put in the Exchange 2003 server (a lot of money
> >in licenses). When the user sends an internal e-mail to a user that is not
> >listed in the Exchange 2003 server (but is listed in the UNIX server) it
> >rejects it. I imagine this is because the Exchange 2003 server thinks there
> >is no mail box for this user. This only happens on the internal network and
> >has no effect mail sent or received outside the network. I need people not
> >listed in the Exchange 2003 sever to be able to receive mail in this domain.
> >I hope this makes sense? (my first real problem with the mail server and I
> >might not have explained this right) Has anybody had this problem, how to fix?
>

> Sharing an address space is always a problem. You can address this
> like this:
>
> In the Exchange "Recipient Policy", select the SMTP address and click
> "Edit...". Uncheck the box that says "Ths Exchange Organization is
> responsible for all mail delivery to this address".
>
> You won't be able to do that for the SMTP address on the default
> recipient policy, though. For that, you can try changing the SMTP
> Virtual Server to send all mail with unresolved addresses to your
> smarthost.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"ChrisHicks" <chrishicks@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Under Connectors I created a second virtual server and entered a smart host
>(my UNIX mail server) as well as setting the cost to 1.

Does the Exchange server send mail directly to target servers, or does
it already use yout *nix machine as a SMTP relay for sending mail
outside the organization? If it aleady uses the *nix machine then
there's no need for a 2nd SMTP Virtual Server.

>On the existing SBS
>SMTP connector I set the cost to 25 (suggested in a document on your site).

If you mean the URL in my sig, that's not my site. :) Andy webb
doesn't pay me anything, but I still put his site's URL in there
anyway.

>Under Servers, Protocols, SMPT, Properties, and the Messages tab I set the
>�Forward all recipients with unresolved addresses to host:� to my UNIX Mail
>server. I think this will work I just have to make sure the Exchange users
>check there mail thru the Exchange server and not the UNIX server or they
>might miss some mail sent internally.

Why would the Exchange users check for mail on the *nix machine? I
suppose they could, but they shouldn't find anything there.

>I will setup the POP Mail Connector for
>these mail boxes since there�s very few.

Why not just use the *nix mail system to sent the mail for those
mailboxes to the IP address of the Exchange server? Why mess around
with something as kludgy as a POP-to SMTP thingy?

>I have two more questions if you
>know? Can you enter the actual mail server (mail.server.com) or do you have
>to use the IP address like this [202.1.3.4]?

You can use either one.

>Second question is since there
>is now two SMTP connectors and under Bridgehead it say�s �Server Name |
>Default SMPT Virtual Server� on both the UNIX and the SBS Connector.

"Bridgehead", to me, is a type of server, or a function perfromed by a
server. In the Exchange System Manager there's nothing labeled
"bridgehead". It must be a SBS thing.

>Should
>both of those say Default SMTP Server or should one be removed or should one
>what?

The SMTP Virtual Server Names can be anything you like. Why you
created a second SMTP Virtual Server I don't know. If the Exchnage
server uses the *nix machine as a SMTP relay for outbound mail you
only need the one that came with the defaut setup.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
richnews (7315)
11/8/2004 3:55:48 AM
It’s harder for me to configure the UNIX machine, it's a different Admin and
he doesn’t like MS Exchange. Incoming mail; if I have a UNIX server accepting
mail and an Exchange server accepting mail shouldn't one be delayed so that
both servers don’t accept mail at the same time? That's why the two SMTP, and
theoretically if the UNIX server goes down I can use the Exchange server as a
backup without to much more configuration. As for the UNIX machine I want it
(or the UNIX Admin) to hold the mail until the Exchange 2003 server calls for
it so that's why the pop - SMTP connection. Local bridgehead, it's under
connectors and then SBS SMTP, I guess it's only in SBS. Any way you have been
very helpful and I think I will test both configurations with 2 SMTP
connectors and 1 both pointing to UNIX mail server. I will look over the
“XCON: Sharing SMTP Address Spaces in Exchange 2000 Server and Exchange
Server 2003” method 1 and see if there’s any tweaking I can do, if not method
2 is the way. I will look over “How to Configure Exchange to Forward Messages
to a Foreign Messaging System That Shares the Same SMTP Domain Name Space” to
see if there a way to enter the additional e-mail addresses with out actually
adding the user so they can forward the internal that’s getting rejected to
the proper address. Thanks again for the help and if you have any more
suggestions or if you think I’m going about this backwards or wrong for some
reason please reply, I wouldn’t appreciate it a great deal. Like I said I’m
very new to Exchange administration.

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> "ChrisHicks" <chrishicks@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Under Connectors I created a second virtual server and entered a smart host
> >(my UNIX mail server) as well as setting the cost to 1.
>
> Does the Exchange server send mail directly to target servers, or does
> it already use yout *nix machine as a SMTP relay for sending mail
> outside the organization? If it aleady uses the *nix machine then
> there's no need for a 2nd SMTP Virtual Server.
>
> >On the existing SBS
> >SMTP connector I set the cost to 25 (suggested in a document on your site).
>
> If you mean the URL in my sig, that's not my site. :) Andy webb
> doesn't pay me anything, but I still put his site's URL in there
> anyway.
>
> >Under Servers, Protocols, SMPT, Properties, and the Messages tab I set the
> >“Forward all recipients with unresolved addresses to host:” to my UNIX Mail
> >server. I think this will work I just have to make sure the Exchange users
> >check there mail thru the Exchange server and not the UNIX server or they
> >might miss some mail sent internally.
>
> Why would the Exchange users check for mail on the *nix machine? I
> suppose they could, but they shouldn't find anything there.
>
> >I will setup the POP Mail Connector for
> >these mail boxes since there’s very few.
>
> Why not just use the *nix mail system to sent the mail for those
> mailboxes to the IP address of the Exchange server? Why mess around
> with something as kludgy as a POP-to SMTP thingy?
>
> >I have two more questions if you
> >know? Can you enter the actual mail server (mail.server.com) or do you have
> >to use the IP address like this [202.1.3.4]?
>
> You can use either one.
>
> >Second question is since there
> >is now two SMTP connectors and under Bridgehead it say’s “Server Name |
> >Default SMPT Virtual Server” on both the UNIX and the SBS Connector.
>
> "Bridgehead", to me, is a type of server, or a function perfromed by a
> server. In the Exchange System Manager there's nothing labeled
> "bridgehead". It must be a SBS thing.
>
> >Should
> >both of those say Default SMTP Server or should one be removed or should one
> >what?
>
> The SMTP Virtual Server Names can be anything you like. Why you
> created a second SMTP Virtual Server I don't know. If the Exchnage
> server uses the *nix machine as a SMTP relay for outbound mail you
> only need the one that came with the defaut setup.
>

> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Also what you said about [In the Exchange "Recipient Policy", select the SMTP
address and click "Edit...". Uncheck the box that says "This Exchange
Organization is responsible for all mail delivery to this address".] It won't
let me uncheck the box, maybe a SBS default and unchangeable. I don't know?

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> "ChrisHicks" <chrishicks@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Under Connectors I created a second virtual server and entered a smart host
> >(my UNIX mail server) as well as setting the cost to 1.
>
> Does the Exchange server send mail directly to target servers, or does
> it already use yout *nix machine as a SMTP relay for sending mail
> outside the organization? If it aleady uses the *nix machine then
> there's no need for a 2nd SMTP Virtual Server.
>
> >On the existing SBS
> >SMTP connector I set the cost to 25 (suggested in a document on your site).
>
> If you mean the URL in my sig, that's not my site. :) Andy webb
> doesn't pay me anything, but I still put his site's URL in there
> anyway.
>
> >Under Servers, Protocols, SMPT, Properties, and the Messages tab I set the
> >“Forward all recipients with unresolved addresses to host:” to my UNIX Mail
> >server. I think this will work I just have to make sure the Exchange users
> >check there mail thru the Exchange server and not the UNIX server or they
> >might miss some mail sent internally.
>
> Why would the Exchange users check for mail on the *nix machine? I
> suppose they could, but they shouldn't find anything there.
>
> >I will setup the POP Mail Connector for
> >these mail boxes since there’s very few.
>
> Why not just use the *nix mail system to sent the mail for those
> mailboxes to the IP address of the Exchange server? Why mess around
> with something as kludgy as a POP-to SMTP thingy?
>
> >I have two more questions if you
> >know? Can you enter the actual mail server (mail.server.com) or do you have
> >to use the IP address like this [202.1.3.4]?
>
> You can use either one.
>
> >Second question is since there
> >is now two SMTP connectors and under Bridgehead it say’s “Server Name |
> >Default SMPT Virtual Server” on both the UNIX and the SBS Connector.
>
> "Bridgehead", to me, is a type of server, or a function perfromed by a
> server. In the Exchange System Manager there's nothing labeled
> "bridgehead". It must be a SBS thing.
>
> >Should
> >both of those say Default SMTP Server or should one be removed or should one
> >what?
>
> The SMTP Virtual Server Names can be anything you like. Why you
> created a second SMTP Virtual Server I don't know. If the Exchnage
> server uses the *nix machine as a SMTP relay for outbound mail you
> only need the one that came with the defaut setup.
>

> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"ChrisHicks" <chrishicks@hotmail.com> wrote:

>It�s harder for me to configure the UNIX machine, it's a different Admin and
>he doesn�t like MS Exchange.

Boo-hoo. Tell him to forget Exchange, it's just SMTP.

>Incoming mail; if I have a UNIX server accepting
>mail and an Exchange server accepting mail shouldn't one be delayed so that
>both servers don�t accept mail at the same time?

No, you should direct all incoming mail to one e-mail system and
distribute it from there.

>That's why the two SMTP, and
>theoretically if the UNIX server goes down I can use the Exchange server as a
>backup without to much more configuration.

Secondary MX's, when you share an address space, are trouble.

>As for the UNIX machine I want it
>(or the UNIX Admin) to hold the mail until the Exchange 2003 server calls for
>it so that's why the pop - SMTP connection.

Nope. Steer clear of that. Use ESMTP and ETRN. Have the mail queued
for delivery. Better, just stick with SMTP and you'll be a lot
happier.

>Local bridgehead, it's under
>connectors and then SBS SMTP, I guess it's only in SBS.

Sure sounds that way.

>Any way you have been
>very helpful and I think I will test both configurations with 2 SMTP
>connectors and 1 both pointing to UNIX mail server. I will look over the
>�XCON: Sharing SMTP Address Spaces in Exchange 2000 Server and Exchange
>Server 2003� method 1 and see if there�s any tweaking I can do, if not method
>2 is the way. I will look over �How to Configure Exchange to Forward Messages
>to a Foreign Messaging System That Shares the Same SMTP Domain Name Space� to
>see if there a way to enter the additional e-mail addresses with out actually
>adding the user so they can forward the internal that�s getting rejected to
>the proper address. Thanks again for the help and if you have any more
>suggestions or if you think I�m going about this backwards or wrong for some
>reason please reply, I wouldn�t appreciate it a great deal. Like I said I�m
>very new to Exchange administration.

If you have no plans to ever eliminate one of those mail systems, then
electing to use the same address space for both of them was probably
not the best thing to do. Setting up a subdomain would have made this
a lot easier to deal with.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
"ChrisHicks" <chrishicks@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Also what you said about [In the Exchange "Recipient Policy", select the SMTP
>address and click "Edit...". Uncheck the box that says "This Exchange
>Organization is responsible for all mail delivery to this address".] It won't
>let me uncheck the box, maybe a SBS default and unchangeable. I don't know?

I also said that it wouldn't let you do that with the default
recipient policy. :)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"ChrisHicks" wrote:

> [...]
> > >to use the IP address like this [202.1.3.4]?
> >
> > You can use either one.
> >
> > >Second question is since there
> > >is now two SMTP connectors and under Bridgehead it say’s “Server Name |
> > >Default SMPT Virtual Server” on both the UNIX and the SBS Connector.
> >
> > "Bridgehead", to me, is a type of server, or a function perfromed by a
> > server. In the Exchange System Manager there's nothing labeled
> > "bridgehead". It must be a SBS thing.
> >
> > >Should
> > >both of those say Default SMTP Server or should one be removed or should one
> > >what?
> >
> > The SMTP Virtual Server Names can be anything you like. Why you
> > created a second SMTP Virtual Server I don't know. If the Exchnage
> > server uses the *nix machine as a SMTP relay for outbound mail you
> > only need the one that came with the defaut setup.

Yes I thought a sub domain would be the way to go but like I said I’m not
very good with Exchange administration and have limited access to UNIX and
DNS servers, in other words they don't want to change anything so I have to
do what seems like the most difficult configuration. I delete the second SMTP
server and all mail with no addresses in Exchange gets forwarded to the UNIX
server as long as there’s not a second profile in Outlook 2003. I don’t know
why but for some reason when you ad the (mail.unix.com) POP mail server it
goes back to rejecting the mail for the users unlisted in Exchange (Exchange
is the default profile). If you make the POP server the default profile
everything work fine but then you have mail in two places for one user. I’m
going to read a little more and test. Thanks again...

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> "ChrisHicks" <chrishicks@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >It’s harder for me to configure the UNIX machine, it's a different Admin and
> >he doesn’t like MS Exchange.
>
> Boo-hoo. Tell him to forget Exchange, it's just SMTP.
>
> >Incoming mail; if I have a UNIX server accepting
> >mail and an Exchange server accepting mail shouldn't one be delayed so that
> >both servers don’t accept mail at the same time?
>
> No, you should direct all incoming mail to one e-mail system and
> distribute it from there.
>
> >That's why the two SMTP, and
> >theoretically if the UNIX server goes down I can use the Exchange server as a
> >backup without to much more configuration.
>
> Secondary MX's, when you share an address space, are trouble.
>
> >As for the UNIX machine I want it
> >(or the UNIX Admin) to hold the mail until the Exchange 2003 server calls for
> >it so that's why the pop - SMTP connection.
>
> Nope. Steer clear of that. Use ESMTP and ETRN. Have the mail queued
> for delivery. Better, just stick with SMTP and you'll be a lot
> happier.
>
> >Local bridgehead, it's under
> >connectors and then SBS SMTP, I guess it's only in SBS.
>
> Sure sounds that way.
>
> >Any way you have been
> >very helpful and I think I will test both configurations with 2 SMTP
> >connectors and 1 both pointing to UNIX mail server. I will look over the
> >“XCON: Sharing SMTP Address Spaces in Exchange 2000 Server and Exchange
> >Server 2003” method 1 and see if there’s any tweaking I can do, if not method
> >2 is the way. I will look over “How to Configure Exchange to Forward Messages
> >to a Foreign Messaging System That Shares the Same SMTP Domain Name Space” to
> >see if there a way to enter the additional e-mail addresses with out actually
> >adding the user so they can forward the internal that’s getting rejected to
> >the proper address. Thanks again for the help and if you have any more
> >suggestions or if you think I’m going about this backwards or wrong for some
> >reason please reply, I wouldn’t appreciate it a great deal. Like I said I’m
> >very new to Exchange administration.
>
> If you have no plans to ever eliminate one of those mail systems, then
> electing to use the same address space for both of them was probably
> not the best thing to do. Setting up a subdomain would have made this
> a lot easier to deal with.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Exchange rich-text format
What are the results from the client side if I change my Exchange 2003 server to "Alwayes Use" Exchange Rich-Text format from "Determined by individual user settings"? On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:31:01 -0700, CK <CK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >What are the results from the client side if I change my Exchange 2003 server >to "Alwayes Use" Exchange Rich-Text format from "Determined by individual >user settings"? Depends on what your users are sending messages as. Most will be using HTML or RTF anyway unless you have some policy in p...

Adding 2nd server in an Exchange 5.5 environment
Is there an easy way to move the IMS connector from one Exchange 5.5 server to another? I recently added a new Exchange 5.5 server running on Windows 2000( No AD). Now I would like to move the IMS connector so I can remove the original mail server from the network. ( The Original server is a dog) I have just started this process and the goal is to get my old P2 system out of the network and replace it with a much faster Dual Xeon box, then upgrade the new mail server to Exchange 2000.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... -- Dale I believe the correct process is to instal...

Exchange Reporting #2
Hello there. We are using Exchange Server 2003 in our company. My management would like me to pull a report stating how many inbound messages are received each day by each recipient in exchange. Is this possible? I have not seen any reporting functions in the Exchange Manager which would allow me to do this. Sean MIS Systems Manager It is not possible natively. You would need to look into a 3rd party monitoring/reporting solution in order to achieve this. Something like Promodag Reports, or Quest MessageStats ought to be able to provide this information. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange M...

Multiple Domain e-mail addresses
We are running Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise addition and I am having a bit of a "brain-freeze" at the moment... Where in the Exchange Admin do I configure the server to accept e-mail from more than one domain. For example, we currently accept e-mail from mycurrentdomain.ca and would also like to accept email from mycurrentdomain.com. Please note that I have updated all of our DNS MX records as required, just need to make the changes on the Exchange server. Thanks in advance... Recipient polices-email address policy. "Raymond Spitzingle" <ray(nospam)@stuff...

Exchange 2007 public folders....
I installed exch2007 beta2 and chose "no outlook 2003 clients" during installation. I think by doing this, the default public folder store is not created. I manually created a new pf store via the gui, then used powershell to create a new public folder. however outlook (2007 beta2) does not see the public folder hierarchy. is there something im missing? On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:17:26 -0400, "Jimmy" <j@j.j> wrote: >I installed exch2007 beta2 and chose "no outlook 2003 clients" during >installation. I think by doing this, the default public fold...

Exchange 2003 Envelope Journaling not working
Hi, I have a single Exchange 2003 SP1 server. I'm trying to get envelope journaling to work. I have enabled message journaling and then used "exejcfg.exe -e" to enable envelope journaling. The journal mailbox is receiving the standard message journal messages, but not the envelope journal formatted messages. I have verified with LDP to confirm the heuristic value is 512 for the Exchange Org object. Anyone else seen this before or have any advice? Thanks --- Greg Reboot maybe? greg@intellireach.com wrote: > Hi, > > I have a single Exchange 2003 SP1 server. I...

Exchange OMA error message. Please read...
When our i-700's with Pocket PC 2003 attempts to access our mail exchange server, all we receive is the following error message: " A System error has occurred while processing your request. Please try again. If the problem persists, contact your administrator. Home" mail.domain.com/exchange works fine though. We've installed the service pack 1 for exchange 2003 to attempt to fix this issue and are having the same results. Does anyone care to share how they may have overcome this exchange problem with their compatible PDAs and Exchange's OMA (Outlook Mobile Access...

SMTP connector on Exchange 5.5?
Does anyone know how to setup an SMTP connector on Exchange 5.5? Something that is equivalent to Exchange 2000 SMTP connector? Thank you, Jack Black IMS. On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 17:02:38 -0500, "Jack Black" <JackBlack@hat.com> wrote: >Does anyone know how to setup an SMTP connector on Exchange 5.5? Something >that is equivalent to Exchange 2000 SMTP connector? > >Thank you, Jack Black > ...

Outlook client connect to exchange server 5.5 problem
Outlook client connect to exchange server 5.5, i get the following message box: "The name could not be resolved. The connection to the microsoft exchange server is unavailable. All other clients are able to connect and resolve the mailbox name. I can't ping and resolve the exchange server from the problems outlook client. The problems occur after i run repair the w2k pro. can anyone help? EL can not ping... well start with basic IP testing. use ipconfig /all from a command prompt on the misconfigured client. Check for DHCP default Gateway - make sure it looks like a client t...

Cannot view itme in Public Folder between 2 different exchange 2003
I have 2 Exchange 2003 on WIN2k server. Exchange 2003 (A) has 300 mailboxes and store the public folder. Exchange 2003 (B) has 100 mailboxes. User at Exchange 2003 (B) found that they can view the public folder but no items in it. User at Exchange 2003 (A) do not have this problem. Is the public folder must replicate to other server? Is any suggestion to view the item if no replication on public folder ?? Thanks Dennis JoJo These 2 servers in the same routing group. Exchange 2003 (A) is the Master Exchange 2003 (B) is the Member "omer maydan" <omermaydan@yahoo.com> wr...

Minimum Exchange 2003 for CRM 1.2?
Hello We are trying to setup a test deployment of CRM 1.2 for 5 users We (parent organisation) already has a email system (UNIX , pop, smtp) in place. I wish to learn what is the minimum Exchange setup that I need to do to deploy the test environment Is there a way to to configure the Exchange server such that it still uses the parent email system and still be used with the CRM thank you very much for your help vikrantca Hello, vikrantca wrote: > We are trying to setup a test deployment of CRM 1.2 for 5 users. > We (parent organisation) already has a email system (UNIX , pop, > smt...

Exchange fails to send CRM emails
When I try to send emails using the CRM 3.0 web interface "most" of them fail to be sent. If I copy that exact same and email and send it to the same address using outlook 2003 it sends with no problem. Exchange 2003 will send me an email, a day later that is is delayed and then finally another day later that it failed. I have turned off the email tracking in CRM and this did not help. I thought the numbers CRM puts in the subject may have been causing it to be blocked. What could be causing the emails to fail when sent using CRM and the exact same email to work with Outlook...

2003 SP1 ADC running with Exchange 2000
Can you run ADC version 2003 SP1 even though all your Exchange servers are still 2000? This means that you have already ran domain/forest prep right? If so you can only run the 2003 version of the ADC. This is not recommended and could cause replication errors with Exchange/AD. Mark "BrianG" wrote: > Can you run ADC version 2003 SP1 even though all your Exchange servers are > still 2000? Correct, domain and forest prep has already been ran. Why can I run 2003 but not 2003 with SP1? We want to use the cross adminstrative group mailbox move function that came with...

How to export exchange global address book to WAB file?
I would like to export exchange address book to outlook express address book. How to export exchange global address book to WAB file? Mesak wrote: > I would like to export exchange address book to outlook express > address book. How to export exchange global address book to WAB file? I don't know about wab files, but see if http://www.slipstick.com/exs/portagal.htm helps at all. ...

Exchange 5.5 Reinstall & isinteg -patch
Let me give you the situation: I'm a brand new administrator just joining a medium sized (bout 2000 users all together) company. Specifically, I'm going to be handleing their move to Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003. One thing that I'm really distrubed by though is that their existing infrastructure is downright scary (their PDC died last week...so get this, they slapped the hard drives in another machine and prayed they could get it to come up...they did, but how crazy is that that that (like that? ;) ) happened at all.) Anyways, backk to their exchange org...they have three dom...

exchange 5.5
I have a user who is getting emails addressed to another person in their mailbox. I checked the headers and the email was only addressed to person A (no cc's or bcc's), yet person B got it in their mailbox. What could be causing this? I have exchange 5.5 with SP 4 installed on a Windows 2000 Server. Jason: UserA most likely has some type of rule set up on his/her mailbox. Log on to UserA's mailbox with Outlook and check the rules. Also, there might be a setting on the mailbox itself that forwards message to UserB, so check the Delivery Options tab of UserA's mailbox prop...

Managing Exchange 2000 with 2003 MMC System Management Tools
Hello, I am currently setting up a Windows 2003 Terminal Server with It management applications, but I found out that Exchange 2000 Systems Management Tools can't be installed on Windows 2003. So I was curious; can you use Exchange 2003 MMC Snapins against a Exchange 2000 server? If so, are there any gotcha's? OR Is it possible to install Exchanage 2000 System Management Tool on a Windows 2003 server - Is there like a work around on this? Help is appreciated. Thanks! I have been using Exchange 2003's ESM MMC snap-in to manage Exchange 2000 servers for some time and I hav...

Exchange 2000 NDR
Hi, I'm trying to send an email to this recipient: a.b.c.@mydomain.com Exchange sends back a 5.1.3 NDR -I think it's due to the dot before @ in the address-. How can I tell exchange to acept this kind of address? Thanks. ...

Exchange 2003 Question??
Dear all, I would like to know if there is an upgrade path from Exchange 2003 Standard Edition with SA to Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition with SA? Thank you. Regards, Kueh. This might help http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;170280 -- Santhosh Sivarajan MCSE(W2K/NT4),MCSA(W2K3/W2K/MSG),CCNA,Network+ "KA Kueh" <kka@ksm.com.my> wrote in message news:exVKwgOKEHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Dear all, > > I would like to know if there is an upgrade path from Exchange 2003 Standard > Edition with SA to Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition wit...

Exchange 2003
Send As permission didnt set but all users are able to send as another user. Anyone encountered this before? Any solution? On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:42:01 -0700, Fui Fan <FuiFan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Send As permission didnt set but all users are able to send as another user. >Anyone encountered this before? Any solution? If everyone can do this you may have the all users (if there is one) security group inside an Exchange group you shouldn't. Look on the properties of a user account (yours perhaps) and see what groups have "Mull Mailbox Access". Nobody...

Unable to delete the Dead Domain controller
Dear, Iam working on windows server 2008 Ent Ed I have two doman controllers in the domain both are GC but only one domain controller has all the fsmo roles but iam having replicattion problems with the dead DC (i.e mppkw-database) and Iam unable to delete or remove the dead domain controller from the domain and iam having follwing problems using the ntdsutil :- matadata cleanup select operation target: list domains Found 1 domain(s) 0 - DC=mediaphoneplus,DC=com select operation target: select domain 0 No current site Domain - DC=mediaphoneplus,DC=com No current server N...

IDN/ACE domains
Hello, Does anyone know if it's possible to have ACE/IDN domains in Exchange 2003 ? I want to have a domainname with norwegian characters in exchange but I doesn't allow me to type norwegian characters in the email-tab in active directory users and computers. Any ideas anyone ? Third party plugin ? Kindest regards, Rikard Strand ...

Changes Since Moving to Exchange
Hi there; I have subfolders within the inbox, and then subfolders within the subfolders. I also have rules so that when a message comes in from a certain person the message goes into their folder. Before we moved to our new exchange server if someone sent a message and the message went to their folder, the number of unread emails in the folder changes (ie, if Joe Bloggs sends an email to me his message goes to the Joe Bloggs folder, and it looks like Joe Bloggs (1)). And the folder that the 'Joe Bloggs' is in (for this example it could be 'staff') would also...

Exchange error: 0x8004050a
When accessing an exchange server via mozilla or dtmail on a solaris machine, I get this error: 0x8004050a. The text is "unrecognized internal error". In mozilla, it gives me this error but fetches the mail anyway. dtmail simply doesnt work at all. If I switch to a W2K machine on the same network, outlook works just fine. Does anyone know what this error means? How can it be fixed? It just "started" one day... Joe Check this out... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;892397 j.wetstein@gmail.com wrote: > When accessing an exchange server via mozi...

out side domains
I can not send emails to persons that do not use the same domain ISP. I recieve this message when i try to our message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Sent: 18/04/2004 8:43 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: someone@somewhere.com.au on 18/04/2004 8:44 PM 550 5.7.1 <someone@somewhere.com.au>... Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged [203.134.100.118] Has anyone got any ideas Thanks Brad .. Have you set your server settings to authenticate before sending? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post...