unable to start directory service

We have an exchange server (alpha) running Windows NT4 and Exchange 5.5 (called exchange1, for example).   We would like to move the services over to a Windows 2000 machine running exchange 5.5
We installed 5.5 on the new server (exchange2) and configured it with the exact same site and organization settings.   We created the same drives on the new server and then copied over the priv.edb, pub.edb and dir.edb.     When we try to start the services, we get errors so I thought "run isinteg - patch" .  Unfortunately, we can't run isinteg-patch because the directory service will not start.   Error message is
Could not start the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant on compute
\\<SERVERNAME>

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to star

I found this
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;182514&Product=ec

I can't figure out how to check that the path is correct for the DS because I can't open exchange admin.  The file is not corrupted.   Any suggestions

0
anonymous (74722)

okay, what mistake we made was that we copied over the dir.edb file from exchange1.  As this db was still referencing exchange1, exchange 2 services bombed out.    When I renamed dir.edb to dir.edb.old and recovered the dir.edb file that was created when I first installed Exchange 5.5 on exchange2, then all services started !  (yay!

still have a little problem with being prompted for username and password when trying to change  the mail properties on the client  (and only admin will work) and also the names are not resolving.  am thinking maybe I need to run the IS/DS sync. tool but will do more research on this before we move forward

thought I'd share

0
anonymous (74722)

Problem starting Outlook 2002
Very recently (after messing about with RealOne - the biggest pile of c**p I've ever known) Outlook 2002 (10.4712.4219) SP-2 won't always start properly. I have uninstalled it using Control Panel, and then reinstalling it, but the error still happens. The program won't start properly and offers to send the error to Microsoft with an option to restart Outlook. After this has happened a couple of times, it then offers to restart in Safe Mode (similiar to KB article 298838 which identifies the symptoms) but it won't. It just loops through the 'Send error details to Microso...

unable to send photos from windows vista email
i understand i have to contact my ISP provider, but I use a mobile device to recieve the internet. who do i contact, i also use a hotmail email address???? Thank you, T That depends on what the exact nature of the trouble is. Do you get an error message when you try to send? If so,=20 right-click on your error message, copy, then paste it into a reply = here. We can't do much troubleshooting without the complete error message.=20 --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "Taylor" <Taylor@discussio...

Deploying POP3 service with Exchange 2000 Server
We have an Exchange 2000 Server we uso to provide SMTP mail service for clients inside our intranet and Outlook Web Access for clients accessing through the Internet. Now we would like to deploy POP3 and SMTP functionality for clients outside our intranet. I'm searching for a good deploying guide but still haven't found something interesting. Any help would be much appreciated! Mauro Hi There, There are many ways of doing this and I have setup many ISP's in this respect. I think this situation would work the best: 1. Obtain an internet connector license (allows unlimited ...

After protecting excel unable to group & ungroup few colums
Unable to group & ungroup once excel is protected. 1. Few columns are selected & grouped. 2. Few cells are selected & locked 3. Sheet is protected. 4. Now when I try to ungroup the columns it displays a mesage that since the sheet is protected it can't be ungrouped Suggestion is to allow a checkbox while protecting the excel where I can allow users to use group- ungroup feature ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the mess...

Exchange HTTP Virtual Server Instance won't start. PLEASE HELP :-)
A couple of days ago we proceeded to install RPC over HTTP on our Exchange 2003 cluster. After installing Windows 2003 SP1 and Exchange 2003 SP1 we noticed that OWA was no longer working. On further investigation we found that we had to install the patch KB841561 to get OWA running again. We did this last night and everything appeared to be working fine. We could access the Exchange server via Outlook 2003 and Out Web Access via SSL. Upon returning to work this morning we noticed that the HTTP access was down again. When we looked at the IIS manager we saw that the default web site and ...

Services not starting at reboot
Hi, I'm having issues with a new installation of Exchange 2003 Enterprise SP2 running on Windows 2003 Enterprise SP1. 2 services, Information Store and MTA Stacks, fails to start when the server is restarted. I have to manually start them. Any idea what is wrong? Thanks! Simon On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:13:40 GMT, "Simon" <simon@castortech.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I'm having issues with a new installation of Exchange 2003 Enterprise SP2 >running on Windows 2003 Enterprise SP1. > >2 services, Information Store and MTA Stacks, fails to start when the s...

Weekly calendar printing style starting in middle of week for Outlook 2003 #2
I was wondering if it was possible to print in Outlook 2003, a trifold printing style where the weekly section starts mid-week. Is this possible? Thanks, Brent ...

BP 4.0 SQL scripts to add this user
Can someone send me this script mentioned in Article ID : 959270 SQL scripts to add this user - "Network Service Account" back into BP 4.0? *** Verify that the Network Service Account account is listed as a user in Business Portal. The alias of this user is nt authority/network service. To do this, follow these steps: a. Start Business Portal by using an account that has Administrative permissions. b. Click Site Actions, and then click Site Settings. c. In the Business Portal Administration section, click Users. d. In the User List, verify that a user named Network Ser...

Unable to login to OWA from a Win98 PC
Login to server via https: login prompts for user name, password, domain Next get prompt that says about to display secure and non-secure items. Cick OK Screen starts to show OWA with the divider down the left side but then it prompts for the user name and password again. It will then just keep prompting over and over. If I select Cancel instead of OK, I get an error 401. I then click the GO button and the web page is displayed without having to login again and everything is fine. I did some research with the IIS log files and it looks like the following: 2004-08-13 17:43:13 207.2...

Fax Router Service errors
I installed MS CRM 3.0 on my Windows 2003 SBS and everything seems to work fine until for some reason the Fax Router Service errors out and I can't connect to CRM anymore. I run iisreset.exe and it starts up again and I can connect.... until it happens again. I have read some posts of others with the same error and I can't seem to get it fixed... yesterday I created a new App Pool in IIS and assigned CRM to it... still getting the error. Here is what I get in event viewer... Microsoft.Crm.Tools.FaxConnectorService.FaxSinkServiceException: Failed to initialize the fax analys...

Contact>Activity list + Active Directory
I've got a user that went to a friend's workplace, where they also have AD implemented. There, when they go to Contacts, open a contact, and click the Activity tab, they see a complete history of every email they've sent to them and able to track it. However, on our site, the contact list is mostly people from outside our AD domain(on mine, I have only one person, the user in question has over 600). The user really only wants the ability to track messages. I've got a couple Outlook books(Outlook 2003: Step By Step and Outlook 2003: Inside Out) but I can't find any informati...

Macro for changing all files in directory
I have about 60 excel files that I need to change, all of the files are a directory. The change that needs to be made is making each workbook shared and changing some of the tracking changes settings. How can I make a macro to take a path and open all excel files (one at a time), make the changes, then save and close the file? Thanks, Drew Here are the changes that need to be made, With ActiveWorkbook .AutoUpdateFrequency = 5 .AutoUpdateSaveChanges = True .KeepChangeHistory = True .ChangeHistoryDuration = 60 End With ActiveWorkbook.Protec...

Lockout services, Replace & Repair lost & Broken Keys Locksmith Los Angeles
Los Angeles Locksmith Locks & Locksmiths Los Angeles CA. Locksmith services in Los Angeles, CA Locks Keys, Los Angeles Locksmith Services Company Security experts including business, apartment, home and auto security locksmiths. L.A LOCKSMITH SERVICES 1-877-364-5264 Find a locksmith 24 hours Locksmith Los Angeles, California Locksmith services and we are member of The California Locksmiths Association Los Angeles Locksmith Locksmith provides fast, reliable, professional 24 Hour Los Angeles Locksmith Locksmith services at extremely competitive rates. At Los Angeles Locksmith Locksmiths we ...

unable to add addresses to PAB
I am not sure if this is an Outlook or an Exchange issue but I have a user that at one time could add users to her PAB and now she cannot. She starts in the Untitled-Message window. Selects "To", selects a distribution list from her PAB, and when she tries to add members she gets the following message: An error has occurred. The list of members was not changed because one or more of the selected members could not be added. Thanks in advance. You did not post enough information for anyone to answer. At a minimum we would need to know Outlook version, Exchange version, ...

hot to: change size of CViewForm SDI at start project
I would like to change the main window's project, I use SDI CForm view type. the problem is: I set the size of CForm viem using Resource-editor to screen limit(600x800) just before scroll bars are displayed. but when I change to another machine that is 768 x 1024 the main window is 600x800 anyway, to try to fix it I use BOOL CMainFrame::PreCreateWindow(CREATESTRUCT& cs) { if( !CFrameWnd::PreCreateWindow(cs) ) return FALSE; RECT r; SystemParametersInfo(SPI_GETWORKAREA, 0, &r, 0); cs.x = r.left; cs.cx = r.right; cs.y = r.top; cs.cy = r.bottom; return TRUE; but nothing chang...

unable to change bank sign-in information
I am trying to change my sign-in information & when I do, it changes back to the wrong information. How can I get it to allow the change? -- Annette What bank are you trying to sync with? "Annette" <Annette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0F94711-9C0E-408E-9630-DE7AD7AA17AA@microsoft.com... >I am trying to change my sign-in information & when I do, it changes back >to > the wrong information. How can I get it to allow the change? > -- > Annette ...

Move email to directory folder then move email to another folder
Hello everyone, I'm pretty new to VBA, sorry. But I need your help please. I'm moving emails from a certain outlook folder "Incoming" to a directory folder C:\\folder name. Then once the emails have moved, I need to move the emails from "Incoming" to "Loaded" but only the ones that have moved to the directory folder. I have a script (see below) that will move the emails from the Incoming folder to the directory just fine, but the second step, to then move those emails to another outlook folder is not working. It doesn't error, its just noth...

Unable to send email out to certain domain
We are running exchange 2003 with Syamntec SMTP incoming and outgoing gateway. We are unable to send email to a particular domain yet that domain can send to us fine. I have added that domain to the global white list on both the incoming and outgoing gateway. Here is the bounce back message: john.doe@domain.org Permanent error involving remote host. 554 Transaction Failed Listed in connection control deny list Messages are sent via outlook 2003 on xp sp2 machines. Thanks sounds to me like they are deliberately rejecting email from your domain... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "ocon4ms...

Unable to open Pub 2003 file in 2007
A friend of mine sent me a Newsletter in Publisher 2003 format. I have Vista and Publisher 2007 and am unable to open the file. I have tried hotfixes and etc. to no avail. What could be the problem? EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Run an ASP Page with parameters from SQL Server http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/1c387dc4-875b-4392-80b5-687cb5e039d6/run-an-asp-page-with-para.aspx This may help you. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198256 -- Don Vancouver, USA <Cindy Shifflett> wrote in message news:200910169489shifflettcj@yah...

best return from WCF service to other .NET consumers?
We have a web application today in Framework 3.5. The application consists of a Data Access Layer, Business Logic Layer and a Front Layer of ASP.NET webpages. In the DAL, a number of typed datasets are defined, and it is these typed datasets that are used as data transfer objects throughout the application. Now we want to expose functionality, from the application, to other .NET systems, through a WCF service. What should we let the WCF service expose to other systems? Here are the alternatives we have talked about: 1. Expose the DataSets we already have (simply return the typed datas...

Office installer starts when starting Outlook 2003
I have Office 2003 installed on my computer, and recently installed SuperOffice too, with an Outlook connection. Now, when starting Outlook the Office installer starts up, asking me to insert one of the installation CD's. Only problem is that they are in a in one of the close to 30 moving boxes down in the basement. :-/ So, is there a way to stop Outlook asking for the CD, or do I have to (finally, according to my wife) mount an expedition down to the basement, and sort through the 30 boxes? -- Torbj�rn Pettersen Dear The addin which you have add for OL - that required connectio li...

Unable to display the folder. Another application closed unexpectedly while using your Personal Folders
I get the following message pretty regularly now: "Unable to display the folder. Another application closed unexpectedly while using your Personal Folders file �C:\Documents and Settings� �. To prevent potential damage to your Personal Folders file, it will not be available until you close all applications currently using it." I have the Outlook 2003 release version. If I close & re-open Outlook all is OK (at least until the problem comes back later). In other words, in contrast to the error message, there don't seem to be any apps that I have to close to restore outlook. T...

Unable to Display the Folder #4
When trying to open the inbox the right pane is all gray with the words "unable to display the folder". Please help! What version of Outlook? Are you clicking on the Inbox folder in the Folder List, or are you clicking on a shortcut to the Inbox folder? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:1c77701c4223e$8be342a0$a501280a@phx.gbl, Julie Mealy wrote: > When trying to open the inbox the right pane is all gray > with the words "u...

Analysis Service Not Working
Hi, We are having an issue getting the analysis service working in our environment. We are running Project Server 2007 with SP2 and all subsequent CUs. We have SQL Server 2000 installed on the same server. When I try to create the Data Analysis view, I receive the following error: "Failed to connect to the Analysis Services server. Verify the server name and try again." I have it set to the default server. I can also successfully build the OLAP cubes and access them through an Excel data connection. We have gone through the entire TechNet article and followed it...

Unable to sum actual revenue after exporting opportunity into exce
Hi, I exported the opportunity into excel and saved it on desktop. When i performed sum function on actual revenue, the value return will always be 0. Currently i used office 2003 and my OS is XPSP1. Is there any workaround for this case? Thanks Carrie can you format the column in excel to a number format and see what happens with the sum function "Carrie" <Carrie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF7F12F5-748C-4884-A6A2-B03B888B611B@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I exported the opportunity into excel and saved it on desktop. When i > performe...