Two SBS exchange servers one Internet Domain

I work for a non-profit company.  We have two seperate locations.  Both
locations have a DSL connection with a constant IP address.  We have
two SBS 2003 servers.  Currently I have them setup like this:

Corporate server:  I have exchange setup with all the users from both
locations.  DNS points to this server to send emails.

branch server:  I have only the users setup that are in this location.
I setup a POP3 connector with these users pointing them to my corporate
server.  It pulls down the email every 30 minutes.  I have setup the
"forward all mail with unresolved recepients to host" to point the my
corporate server IP address.  This allows them to send emails to
corporate users and every one can use the same domain.

The problem this causes me is that the POP3 connector when it pulls
from my corporate server can slow down my internet connection
drastically.

The solution I have worked out in my head is to disable the POP3
connector and setup the "forward all mail with unresolved recepients"
on both servers to each other.  This will cause an infinite loop if a
email comes through that has no user on my system.  If I set the
"maximum hop" to 30 then it should be canned after it is routed back
and forth a few times.

Will this solution work for me?  or will it cause bigger issues?  Are
there any better solutions?  If so what are they?

Non-Profit Techie

0
PDavis (1)

I would suggest hosting all your users mail on Corporate and then have the
branch office either view their mailboxes through OWA 2003 or RPC over HTTP.
Since SBS has to be the Root of any domain you cannot connect two SBS
servers in the same domain.  So you are somewhat limited in your choices.  I
might also suggest connecting both locations with a Dedicated VPN then you
have many more options.  You could setup another Windows 2003 DC in the
Branch Office.  You could also setup a Windows 2003 Terminal  at Corporate
for the remote Branch.  This is more complex setup but it works well with
mulitple locations with SBS. Only other option is get a separate Registered
domain for your branch location.

--
John Oliver, Jr.
MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP

"Non-Profit Techie" <PDavis@eastersealstn.com> wrote in message
>I work for a non-profit company.  We have two seperate locations.  Both
> locations have a DSL connection with a constant IP address.  We have
> two SBS 2003 servers.  Currently I have them setup like this:
>
> Corporate server:  I have exchange setup with all the users from both
> locations.  DNS points to this server to send emails.
>
> branch server:  I have only the users setup that are in this location.
> I setup a POP3 connector with these users pointing them to my corporate
> server.  It pulls down the email every 30 minutes.  I have setup the
> "forward all mail with unresolved recepients to host" to point the my
> corporate server IP address.  This allows them to send emails to
> corporate users and every one can use the same domain.
>
> The problem this causes me is that the POP3 connector when it pulls
> from my corporate server can slow down my internet connection
> drastically.
>
> The solution I have worked out in my head is to disable the POP3
> connector and setup the "forward all mail with unresolved recepients"
> on both servers to each other.  This will cause an infinite loop if a
> email comes through that has no user on my system.  If I set the
> "maximum hop" to 30 then it should be canned after it is routed back
> and forth a few times.
>
> Will this solution work for me?  or will it cause bigger issues?  Are
> there any better solutions?  If so what are they?
>
> Non-Profit Techie

0
jcoliverjr (1013)

Groupwise 5.5 to Exchange 2003
Hi all, I'm upgrading an old Novell network to SBS 2003 Prem this weekend and was wondering whether there are any decent tools to migrate users mailboxes from Groupwise 5.5 or whether anyone can shed some light on posible gotcha's? I am hoping to simply export .pst's but I guess there may be easier ways to achieve my objective. Any advice greatly appreciated. Mike Try ts link and refer the Groupwise links http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/migrate.mspx "Mike K" <MikeK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5B89CC0A-0C45-46B...

Troubleshooting Exchange slowness
All, Are there any nifty perfmon tricks or otherwise to pin down exactly what may be causing Exchange slowness at any given time? Currently the store.exe process shows a lot of activity, and the "avg. disk queue length" is anywhere between 2 and 300ish (which seems to me to be extremely slow). Client latency > 5 sec RPCs show 135, which is probably all of them. Any ideas on how to track down what is causing the slowness? Thanks, Pair Exchange Perfomance Analyzer http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bdc1d6b-de34-4f1c-aeba-fed1256caf9a&displaylan...

SBS 2003 Timeout / performance
I'm experiencing some performance degredation using CRM 1.2 on an SBS 2003 box. For example, running a Scribe DTS package, it processes 1 row per second when it starts up, but after running through a couple thousand rows, performance slows to 1 row every 20 seconds. After stopping that DTS, I can't even log into CRM anymore. I've checked everything I can think of, and don't see anything obviously wrong. Plenty of disk space free, plenty (2GB) of RAM, CPU% and memory utilization row, dbcc checks look ok, I've backed up DB's, truncated logs, nothing seems t...

Exchange 2007 Resource Mailbox Question
I am working on setting up Resource Mailboxes in Exchange 2007. I have been able to create the mailbox and schedule meetings. I then restricted who could schedule the resource by running the following command: Set-MailboxCalendarSettings ex07rm5 -BookInPolicy "Exchange 2007 Room 5 Users" -AllBookInPolicy $False This worked and only users in the D/L of "Exchange 2007 Room 5 Users" could schedule the room. Now I cannot figure out how to remove the restriction. I can change the AllBookInPolicy to true, but how do I change the BookInPolicy back to nothing? I know I...

Remove contents of one list from a second list
This seems so basic, but it is eluding me still....I have a list of all registered users to our website. I have a list of all the users who logged in for an event. I want to e-mail those who did NOT attend. How can I easily subtract one list from a larger one? Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#InOneNotOther -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany RicMurray wrote: > This seems so basic, but it is eluding me still....I have a list of > all registered users to our website. I have a list of all the users > who logged in for an event. I want to e-mail those who did ...

Every so often Server doesnt allow users to access its resources.
It started off every 3 days this issue happened but after removing unused programs to free up RAM this issue seems to happen every 20 days. Setup: 1 - Windows 2003 Server Small business edition. with all the latest Updates. I removed Exchange, WSUS, and Sharepoint as they are not needed and using too much RAM. Server Role: File Server, and Quickbooks Database 5 - XP Workstations. Symptoms: Everything will work fine and then after several days the users cannot access files or quickbooks. No mapped drives are found and the login script will not run. If i go to the serve...

Need help merging two Worksheet_Change modules #5
Hi Dave, further to the last entry I have discovered where the module is tripping up. It works on three of my cells but any one of a further three cells that I have data validation in renders the code not to work - what it does is, on any change to any cell with validation it throws up the message box in the code (MsgBox "Your last operation was canceled. " & _ "It would have deleted data validation rules.") and doesn't allow you to do anything else in those cells. What is it about these particular three cells that causes this? They are pretty normal validated c...

Exchange Virtual Server
Hi, I've installed on a same server Exchange 2003 and SPS 2003. I've made the following error : I extended the default web site with SPS. Since then, Web access to Exchange is broken. Is there a way to modify, after the installation, the virtual server used by ExAdmin, Exchange and ExchWeb web sites ? Thanks for your help, Fabien Majurel On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:53:40 +0200, "Fabien Majurel" <fabien.majurel@bewise.fr> wrote: >Hi, > >I've installed on a same server Exchange 2003 and SPS 2003. I've made the >following error : I extended the ...

Clustering Exchange 2003 across regions
We have two Exchange servers that are in the same Administrative group and organization (last one is new built with no mailbox yet), what tool will be used to sync Public Folders and mail between two Exchange server - for DR? Basically we want two servers active and replicating with each other and functions are DR server in case anythin happens to the other one - these servers are located in NY and California - thus geoclustering is a must (just don't know the exact solution). Can anyone recommend a solution that will handle this EXACTLY - not what you think, but actual knowledge a...

Moving Exchange 5.5 to another server
I set up a new Exchange 5.5 server in my site, moved all mailboxes and public folders from the old server to the new server. I have followed the instructions in KB 152959 How to Remove the First Exchange Server in a Site. However, my first Exchange server is still sending out NDR's when email with invalid addresses come into our domain. All other email is sent by the new server. I don't want to shut down the old one until I know this is OK. Will my new server take over the sending of NDR's after the old server is shut down or is there another step I have to complete to ma...

NNTP server name
I'm trying to connect to this newsgroup thru Outlook Express but I can't figure out what the NNTP server would be. Please help. thanks. msnews.microsoft.com "Tom S" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9957DD6-F0F3-475A-86BE-AB44810FA20E@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to connect to this newsgroup thru Outlook Express but I can't figure out what the NNTP server would be. Please help. thanks. The server name is msnews.microsoft.com . -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson....

Add two Columns to a table from another table
It has been a couple of months since I have worked with access and I can't remeber the right way to put the critera. I want to add two columns from table A to table B where the machine name is equal to each other. I know I have to use an append query I just can't figuer out how to set the critera to place the correct data in the right place. Both tables have been imported and both have a column called machine name. I want to add two columns from table A to table B where the machine names are the same. Please help me out. Thanks very much, Greg It isn't clear whether you ar...

Two things for a newbie!
Firstly hello to all, I'm sure this will be an easy one but I haven' used Excel in years so i know it can be done but can't for the life o me remember how to do it. Ok so Ive got a standard spreadsheet and I want to perform an I statement followed by THEN (I think thats right) on a column of cells For arguments sake lets say i want it to run on the first 100 cells i column F. I want it to check the value of the cells and change th backcolour of the cell dependent on the outcome. If the value in th cell is equal to 0 i would like it to turn red, if its greater than 0 would like it...

How to add multiple members in DL for Exchange 5.5
Hi, Is there any way to add multiple members in Exchange 5.5 distribution list, instead of selecting one at a time. Thanks! Directory import, available in Exchange administrator tool. Baris. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "San" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:f4a001c43de9$9cabde00$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Is there any way to add multiple members in Exchange 5.5 > distribution list, instead of selecting one at a time. > > Thanks! ...

Exchange Server 5.5 unable to receive SMTP mails
Hi Guys, Our Exchange Server currently cannot receive SMTP mail from mail clients including outlook express.What can we do to make it work.Pls help. Platform: Exchange 5.5 Service pack 3 on Windows NT 4.0 -- Buchi Hi; Did you check that if your exchange have an open relay and may be blacklisted? http://www.rbl.jp/ckdb/ you can check from here... Bora Güler "Buchi" wrote: > Hi Guys, > Our Exchange Server currently cannot receive SMTP mail from mail clients > including outlook express.What can we do to make it work.Pls help. > > Platform: Exchange 5.5 ...

Event ID: 5891 is logged in the Exchange Server Application log by CRM 1.2

Configuring Exchange 2000 to use SPF records...
Does anyone have any information on how to configure Exchange 2000 to use SPF records? Our ISP has configured SPF records at their end, and now I want our Exchange server to use them... However, we are using a smart host to relay our email through. I have read where this could be a problem with using SPF - however that article I read was referring to installing the GFI MailEssentials product to use SPF on your Exchange 2000 server - so maybe does not apply to all mail relaying in general if you are NOT using that product.. Does anyone know if SPF checking will work if you are using a s...

How can I copy ONE contact folder to another PC?
I am using OL 2007 on both PC's. On my laptop I have a subfolder in my "Contacts" folder I would like to copy to my desktop PC. Is there an easy way to do this? Thanks Posted to Outlook groups daily: http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm=20 --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After furious head scratching, <----- Mardman -----> asked: | I am using OL 2007 on both PC's. On my laptop I have a subfolder in | my "Contacts" folder I would like to copy to my desktop PC. I...

Remote Desktop in SBS 2008
We Have been using remote desktop to connect remotely to an application running on a Windows Server 2003 machine and are about to move everything to a new SBS 2008 box. I am having trouble finding information on how to set this up so that a remote user can login to a remote desktop session on the server. Does the application have to be installed on the server? I think you will find that most people in here will advise against having users access the server. Unless I am misunderstanding you. "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:339605...

Local Data Queries Stored? Client or Server?
I have 3 complex queries I need to deploy to 35 users. After creating the 5th one from scratch, I figured the data's gotta be stored somewhere! I looked around in the registry and couldn't find any clues. Where are the local data queries stored? I'm thinking I could copy the queries (update for any unique GUIDs, of course). Thanks. It is stored on server -- Regards, MS CRM Certified Professional http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com Chat with me on MSN / Gmail / Skype : ID Is :.. mscrmexpert@gmail.com "Avogadro" wrote: > I have 3 complex queries I need to ...

Exchange 2003 / 2000 Help
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_005D_01C6473D.00418970 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Current setup=20 1 DC (Windows 2000 server standard) in network currently running = exchange 2000=20 installing=20 1 Member server (Windows 2003 enterprise) will run exchange 2003=20 I am reading through the Exchange server 2003 deployment guide and it = says this -=20 In the domain where the schema master resides, run ForestPrep. (By = default, the schema master runs on the first Windows d...

internet explorer mime type resubmit to window error
I have an web-app that can produce a receipt by submiting a html table into a new window and setting the mime type to Excel. This functionality works fine. If the user does not close this window and goes to create a new receipt then the excel plugin within explorer simply copies the data within the previous window into the new window and ignores the new data. Is there any solution to this problem? First, I don't know what I'm talking about. Second, it does sound like some kind of caching problem. Is there anyway you can force the web application to refresh the cached data? ...

Looking for book on Exchange 2010
We currently have an Exchange 2007 environment with about 5000 users. We're looking at migrating to Exchange 2010, probably in the next couple of months. I am looking for recommendations for a book on Exchange 2010. Some of our main areas are in data redundancy and migration from 2007. The Jim McBee and David Elfassy book, Mastering Exchange Server 2010 was the one I was looking for first (we've used the "Mastering.." series in the past), but it looks like it's not going to be released until April. I came across the "Exchange 2010 Unleashed"...

Outlook 2003 POP save on server x days
Hi, In Outlook 2003 - Accessing POP3 Mail - When you select save on server x number of days - When does the time count for days begin? Lets say I have old E-Mails in Outlook - and on the server - I choose to leave on server 30 days - Will all E-Mail older than 30 days be removed from the server - immediately? Or will the time count 30 days from when I chose to leave them on the server - so 30 days from when I chose to leave on server for x days - they will begin being removed from the server? Thank You it's 30 days from the date you downloaded them into outlook. I...

ploting one cell from 10 worksheets into one chart
i am trying to figure out a way to plot one cell, lets say c-1 from 10 -30 worksheets, in one workbook; on one chart. Each worksheet is a date and each c-1 value is just a number. any help would help thanks alex n. alex.nazarchuK@unitedwater.com ------------------------------------------------ Message posted from the Excel Tip Forum at http://www.ExcelTip.com/forum/ -- View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelTip.com -- Hundreds of free MS Excel tips, tricks and solutions ------------------------------------------------ You can plot each data point as a separate ser...