Two computers in office used by same user...problems

Seems that my boss insists on using two separate offices and keeps both
signed in with multiple items in Outlook all day long.  The NK2 file
seems to change between the two of them and many times he doesn't have
the same contact information simultaneously on both machines.  He is
very tired of this and so am I??? I would be willing to purchase
software to take care of this problem if necessary...I just need to
know where to start to keep information identical between the logins on
2 different computers...thanks!

0
wadafreak (2)
5/12/2006 9:42:38 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

4 Replies
504 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 35

Dear Jeannie,

i am not sure if this is going to help you, but i think you need to transfer 
the managers profile from local desktop profile to Roaming Profile, where 
the user talks the profile from centra location on the server. so the user 
will access the profile from the server, but i am not sure if you are going 
to access this profile at the same time from two different desktops, 
logically you should but practically you need to test it.

please let me know if this post was helpful to you or not and whether the 
solution proposed was correct for your case so i can update my knowledge 
base :)

Regards

Alaa Alian Al-Ankar
Blog: http://ExchGuru.Blogspot.com

"Jeannie Cain" <wadafreak@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:1147470158.653953.94550@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...
> Seems that my boss insists on using two separate offices and keeps both
> signed in with multiple items in Outlook all day long.  The NK2 file
> seems to change between the two of them and many times he doesn't have
> the same contact information simultaneously on both machines.  He is
> very tired of this and so am I??? I would be willing to purchase
> software to take care of this problem if necessary...I just need to
> know where to start to keep information identical between the logins on
> 2 different computers...thanks!
> 


0
alaa (132)
5/12/2006 9:59:16 PM
Note that he said the user keeps both computers signed in.  I've always 
found this to be a problem with roaming profiles - multiple computers will 
fight over who gets to update it.  I think your suggestion might make things 
worse in this scenario.

I'd explain it to to your boss.  What he's seeing is an auto-complete, it's 
not his contacts.  Contacts are stored on the server and will be the same 
for each computer, but auto-complete is local to the computer.  He probably 
won't like the explanation, but you can always offer to turn the feature 
off!

-GT
"Alaa Alian Al-Ankar" <alaa@arabesque.com.kw> wrote in message 
news:ewLH%239gdGHA.380@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Dear Jeannie,
>
> i am not sure if this is going to help you, but i think you need to 
> transfer the managers profile from local desktop profile to Roaming 
> Profile, where the user talks the profile from centra location on the 
> server. so the user will access the profile from the server, but i am not 
> sure if you are going to access this profile at the same time from two 
> different desktops, logically you should but practically you need to test 
> it.
>
> please let me know if this post was helpful to you or not and whether the 
> solution proposed was correct for your case so i can update my knowledge 
> base :)
>
> Regards
>
> Alaa Alian Al-Ankar
> Blog: http://ExchGuru.Blogspot.com
>
> "Jeannie Cain" <wadafreak@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
> news:1147470158.653953.94550@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...
>> Seems that my boss insists on using two separate offices and keeps both
>> signed in with multiple items in Outlook all day long.  The NK2 file
>> seems to change between the two of them and many times he doesn't have
>> the same contact information simultaneously on both machines.  He is
>> very tired of this and so am I??? I would be willing to purchase
>> software to take care of this problem if necessary...I just need to
>> know where to start to keep information identical between the logins on
>> 2 different computers...thanks!
>>
>
> 


0
GT
5/13/2006 1:36:22 PM
The Auto-Complete is based on a profile, which can be saved on the server , 
and i mentioned that this is not a suggestion in other hand he can give it 
atry and test it, nothing wrong with my suggestion right ?

Regards

Alaa Alian Al-Ankar
Blog: http://ExchGuru.Blogspot.com

"GT" <DSS4u@+++nospam+++HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message 
news:thl9g.9110$aq5.432355@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Note that he said the user keeps both computers signed in.  I've always 
> found this to be a problem with roaming profiles - multiple computers will 
> fight over who gets to update it.  I think your suggestion might make 
> things worse in this scenario.
>
> I'd explain it to to your boss.  What he's seeing is an auto-complete, 
> it's not his contacts.  Contacts are stored on the server and will be the 
> same for each computer, but auto-complete is local to the computer.  He 
> probably won't like the explanation, but you can always offer to turn the 
> feature off!
>
> -GT
> "Alaa Alian Al-Ankar" <alaa@arabesque.com.kw> wrote in message 
> news:ewLH%239gdGHA.380@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Dear Jeannie,
>>
>> i am not sure if this is going to help you, but i think you need to 
>> transfer the managers profile from local desktop profile to Roaming 
>> Profile, where the user talks the profile from centra location on the 
>> server. so the user will access the profile from the server, but i am not 
>> sure if you are going to access this profile at the same time from two 
>> different desktops, logically you should but practically you need to test 
>> it.
>>
>> please let me know if this post was helpful to you or not and whether the 
>> solution proposed was correct for your case so i can update my knowledge 
>> base :)
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Alaa Alian Al-Ankar
>> Blog: http://ExchGuru.Blogspot.com
>>
>> "Jeannie Cain" <wadafreak@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
>> news:1147470158.653953.94550@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...
>>> Seems that my boss insists on using two separate offices and keeps both
>>> signed in with multiple items in Outlook all day long.  The NK2 file
>>> seems to change between the two of them and many times he doesn't have
>>> the same contact information simultaneously on both machines.  He is
>>> very tired of this and so am I??? I would be willing to purchase
>>> software to take care of this problem if necessary...I just need to
>>> know where to start to keep information identical between the logins on
>>> 2 different computers...thanks!
>>>
>>
>>
>
> 


0
alaa (132)
5/13/2006 2:34:35 PM
I have thought about a roaming profile specifically for him.  The
problem is that he never logs off either of the 2 computers and he
leaves multiple Outlook windows open on each...I think this is really
the problem.  I know about the "auto complete" if the NK2 file is what
you are talking about...we have that figured out..not a great fix but
we copy between the two occasionally to keep him the same on each
computer.  Just wondered if anyone had these same issues.  We used
Groupwise for many years and that is what he was familiar with...thanks
for the suggestions!

0
wadafreak (2)
5/15/2006 3:06:30 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Question -Problem
Has anybody ever seen an error message (0x800cccF6) message? I cannot configure my Outlook to retrieve Hotmail. Works with other profiles on this computer running winxp. Stan-The-Man-2006 wrote: > Has anybody ever seen an error message (0x800cccF6) message? I cannot > configure my Outlook to retrieve Hotmail. Works with other profiles > on this computer running winxp. If you have a free Hotmail account, note that it won't work anymore (even your other profiles will eventually have problems) - see http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/online.htm#hotmail ...

AD Sync problem
Hello, One of my DC was disconnected from the network for quite a long time and cannot be synchronized with AD anymore. I have been trying to apply the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325850/en-us procedure to reset the machine account password. After launching the command "netdom resetpwd /S: ....." I've got the following error message : "The machine account password for the local machine could not be reset. Echec d'ouverture de session : unknown user or incorrect password. The command failed to complete successfully." ANy idea to help me ? Man...

Formula without using numbers after decimal in the answer
I have a formula that derives the answer from a figure with a decimal. I don't want to use the figures after the decimal. Is there a way to just use the whole number and omit the numbers after the decimal without having to manually key in all these numbers manually? Thanks, Mustang You can use the INT function. This 'rounds down' any number to th nearest integer, e.g. if A1=2.567, a formula in B2 of =INT(A1) return 2 HTH Bruc -- swatsp0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?...

WCF Client serialization problem
I posted the problem on another forum, and to prevent duplicate posts, but get as many professionals as possible to look at it, I include the url in this post. Please help! http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2948657/migrating-webclient-to-wcf-wcf-client-serializes-parametername-of-method ...

Using Relative path for XML data file?
Is there a way to specify a relative path to an XML data file imported into Excel 2003? I am writing a web app that generates report data as XML for the user to download to their local machine. This data is to be consumed by an Excel reporting spreadsheet, which contains display-formatted tables and charts that are mapped to various data fields in an XML Map, which is in turn linked to the xml data file they will download. The idea is the user only needs to download the data for updates, not the whole spreadsheet. However, since I cannot predict the path where the user will store their...

Excel button problem
Hi All I have a macro that copies a worksheet in the active workbook and puts it into a new workbook - then formats it and deletes any buttons on the worksheet. On the first click on the button the macro works ok. On the second click, it fails because the all assigned macros on all buttons in the active workbook changed from "mba" to "book1!mba". Book 1 doesn't exists (wasn't opened, wasn't saved, doesn't have the macros). I've never experienced this problem before?? Can anyone help to solve this problem? FYI The macro to do this is c...

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)
Does anyone know of a place where I can find a bunch of various macros for outlook? I've looked around and found 1 or 2 but I would think someone has a large amount of them.. Thanks Dave dave wrote: > Does anyone know of a place where I can find a bunch of > various macros for outlook? I've looked around and found > 1 or 2 but I would think someone has a large amount of > them.. > > Thanks > > Dave Dunno, but a Google search on "Outlook macros" gets about 55,000 hits.... G'Day Dave, Try: http://www.outlookvba.com/examples//allexamples...

Problems with reallocations in the Advanced Budget
I am a using the Advanced Budget in Money and for years I have reallocated money between categories and months. recently when I updated my transactions all my real locations were wrong. Basically the money I allocated from March to February was not only back in February it reversed it and made it look like I sent Money from February to March so now any category that I have reallocated money (an that is most) is wrong. Does anyone know of a way to fix this, I have run the repair, but that did nothing. Microsoft Money Plus Premium Version 17.0.125.1415 I am so glad to see that I am...

Autonumber created.. problems in the future?
I managed to create an autonumber in Microsoft CRM. I did this by making a field "Number"(in the database "New_Number") and I published it on the form. Then I went To the SQL server and I changed the field in the table to Identity Yes, Identity seed 1, Identity Increment 1. I locked the field on the form. It worked! I think that this is not supported by Microsoft. But has anybody got any idea which troubles i could get with this configuration? San ________________________________ Do you know all add-ons for Microsoft CRM? Visit http://www.pimpmycrm.com The biggest dange...

using the journal on outlook
Once I link an email to the journal, can I still find that email in my mail box? I seem to be able to get to it only via the journal. If this is the way it is supposed to be, how do I remove it from the journal and get it back into my mail box? Am I just missing something? -- thanks, Independent Are you linking to the item or putting a copy into the journal item? Also, has the item been archived or not? "Independent" <Independent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:868279F2-53C8-403A-97F5-604CEECD873C@microsoft.com... > Once I link an email to the journ...

Offline Synchronization Problem #2
I get the following error when I try going offline. The excelption is taken from Event Viewer of the Client Machine. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSCRMOfflineSync Event Category: None Event ID: 6000 Date: 3/25/2008 Time: 5:03:33 PM User: N/A Computer: WINXP Description: An error occurred during Offline Synchronization. Try going offline again, or restart Microsoft Outlook. saInsert failed for entity 'ActivityMimeAttachment', batchRows=0 with exception System.FormatException: Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument li...

message delivery problems
Hello! There are several email address that when I send them an e-mail, they just sit in the Queue. I did message tracking and its telling me that "Message Routed and Queued for Remote Delivery". Can anyone suggest symptoms for this? Thank You! usually messages sitting in outgoing queue take time due to DNS related issues. Do you have issues performing NSlookups on any domains from your workstation? Can you perform the same NSlookups from the exchange server? From the exchange server, can you perform smtp communication directly to the mailserver that would receive the e...

Users ability to Manage Groups
When a users goes to the properties of a distribution group in outlook, they are able to use the modify members option, however as far as i can tell they don't have permissions to do this in AD. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to narrow down what is allowing this or how to disallow this ability? Thanks Matthew Loraditch On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 09:07:16 -0400, "Matthew Loraditch" <mloradites AT Yahoo DOT Com> wrote: >When a users goes to the properties of a distribution group in outlook, they >are able to use the modify members option, however as far as i can...

Disable Secure Sockets Layer on exchange server when using RPC over HTTP
Hi im trying to enable RPC over HTTP to enable users to establish contact to my Excahger server 2003 over the internet. Now, I dont want to use SSL (security not that important) and i am told by this article that i can disable SSL in windows registry. Quote: Note While RPC over HTTP does not require Secure Sockets Layer, you must modify the registry to enable RPC over HTTP if you do not want to use Secure Sockets Layer. Microsoft recommends that you enable and require Secure Sockets Layer for your RPC over HTTP communications. At this address: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=833401 But i ...

How to move MS Office without reinstalling?
I have an iMac that has had Microsoft Office on it since 2002 or so. Other family members have bought MS Office as well since then. They are all v. X. Each has a unique product ID and the only disc copy I can find for installing MS Office has a key on it. I don't know if it was my original copy. I will soon be reinstalling an OS on the iMac and in the process, I will have to wipe it clean. Is it possible to copy all of the MS Office files to appropriate backup locations, then copy them back when the install is done so I do not have to reinstall from the disc and risk it not be...

Problem with Range
Hello All, Using Windows & Excel XP. I have a worksheet that has times located in every other column, A1:A30, C1:C30, E1:E30. I then name the range "times". I want to find the count of times that are between 0:30:00 and 0:39:59 (30 and 39:59 minutes). I write the formula: =COUNTIF(times,">=" & TIME(0,30,0)) - COUNTIF(times,">=" & TIME(0,39,59)) but get the error #VALUE! I have tried writing a formula for times in one column and consecutive columns and it gives the correct count, it is just when the times in every other column that th...

Having problem with spoofing email
Our users just received multiple email from different users outside the company. In the To: line, it shows his user name correctly but when he print those email, the To: line was showing somebody else name on the print out. Is there a way to block this behavior? I'm using E2k3. For some reason our spam (postini) didn't pick up these emails. Thank you, Could you please post the message in raw format (including the mail headers) Petch wrote: > Our users just received multiple email from different users outside the > company. In the To: line, it shows his user name cor...

outlook 97 and express email problems
Hi, I am currently on an IBM X21 laptop and is running windows 98 se with office 97 pro. I recently experienced some problems with outlook (illegal operations etc) and reinstalled office to fix the problem but since then I have not been able to send or recieve emails with outlook 97 and outlook express 6. I simply get an error message saying the host can't be found (but does exist and I can ping it successfully). Any suggestions on what I might do? I have tried creating new accounts in windows mail and outlook express, but I still get the same error. Thankyou in advance! Tim D...

Does Outlook use the DAV protocol?
I'm an Outlook Express user who wants to switch to Outlook. I received a notice from Microsoft that includes the following: "... as of June 30, 2008, Microsoft is disabling the DAV protocol and you will no longer be able to access your Hotmail Inbox via Outlook Express." Please tell me if this action by Microsoft will affect Outlook in the same manner, or am I free to make the switch. "BudV" <BudVitoff@(NO)att.(SPAM)net> wrote in message news:%230XUDi%23zIHA.2384@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > I'm an Outlook Express user who wants to switch to Outlook...

explanation of codes in Visual Basic when creating User form
Hi, I am trying to create a user form in Visual Basic however I'm trying to teach myself by reading/watching tutorials. (www.contectures.o.ca, etc) A lot of the instructions I am seeing simply give the code rather than explain how to actually write one from scratch. So... I need to know what each 'term' means so I can understand how the codes work. Any help is much appreciated :) One of the first codes is for the Add button Private Sub cmdAdd_Click() Dim iRow As Long Dim ws As Worksheet Set ws = Worksheets("PartsData") What d...

Problem sending encrypted email in OLXP
Hello All, I am having a problem sending encrypted email messages using OLXP if they are NOT in HTML format. Everything seems to work fine with OL2000 and OL2003. Any ideas about what may be going on? GW Gee Weez <weez.gee@gmail.com> wrote: > I am having a problem sending encrypted email messages using OLXP if > they are NOT in HTML format. Everything seems to work fine with OL2000 > and OL2003. Any ideas about what may be going on? Do you tell your doctor you're "having problems" or do you describe your symptoms with as much precision as you can manage? -- ...

sys menu problem in MDI
I have an MDI with 3 childwnd. Whenever group of views from chiuldwnd type X is shown the childwnd Y views and childwnd Z views are hidden via ShowWindow(SW_HIDE) when changing the activate frame. it works. But when I press the minimize box on the ChildWnd sys menu, i C all the views no matter what type are them. I want that when I press the system menu the other views types will still be hidden and the views of the vurrent type will be shown as minimize, how di I do it ? 10x. J. ...

Let me use the Line Color icon on charts
It would speed up a lot of my work if I could use the Line Color icon on Excel charts, the same way I am able to use the Fill Color and Font Color icons. However, when I highlight any chart object, like the Plot Area, Chart Area, or a Series, the Line Color icon is disabled. -- Stuart Bratesman, Jr., MPP Muskie School of Public Service Univ. of Southern Maine Portland, Maine ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If ...

Access to User Calendar
I have a user called small conference room that is used to schedule meetings on its calendar. I would like to link the calendar from our intranet site to the calendar with a UNC path. I am calling outlook: and I can get to my local mailbox and public folders but I am unable to connect to another users calendar. I am running Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003. Is there some security modifications that need to be done? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Steve I believe that you will need full mailbox rights. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!&...

Problem with named range for a large spreadsheet in Excel 2007
Hello, I am trying to generate a large Excel spreadsheet apprx. 10000 rows and 40 columns. I am generating defined name section in the Workbook.xml part of the XLSM package. Here is a sample entry from that section <definedName name="_._44802_._0_._0_._0_._top_line" localSheetId="0" hidden="1">Sheet1!$B$2</definedName> Although the generation goes fine, I can not open the spreadsheet as the Excel throws an error message saying the package is corrupt. But this is not the case if the spreadsheet is small say, 200 rows by 10 columns. ...