Troubleshooting OMA using SSL on Windows 2003 DC

Hi there,

I know, I shouldn't have, but it's done.  Microsoft Exchange 2003
OWA/OMA is running on a Win2k3 DC with SSL.  OWA works great, but OMA
is having a complete meltdown.

I've configured OWA to use forms-based authentication over SSL, and
even followed the KB 817379 article (Exchange ActiveSync and Outlook
Mobile Access errors occur when SSL or forms-based authentication is
required for Exchange Server 2003), and went through the elaborate
setup of duplicating the Exchange virtual directory, taking the SSL
requirement off of that, and making the registry change.  That didn't
seem to have any effect on OMA.

When accessing OMA over https, I get:

1=2E) The username/password prompt.

2=2E) Your standard .net "Server Error in '/OMA' Application." Runtime
Error Description: An application error occurred on the server... blah
blah blah... telling me to alter the web.config file to see a more
detailed error.

3=2E) When I modify the web.config file under the \OMA root directory and
make it look like:

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <customErrors mode=3D"Off"/>
    </system.web>
</configuration>

..=2E. I still don't see any different errors, but get the same exact .net
application error screen.  I even completely replaced the web.config,
and just had the entries above, and *still*, I didn't see any more
detailed errors.  I checked IE, and that's set not to give me the
simple errors, just incase.

I've also tried reinstalling .net using the aspnet_regiis.exe -i
command, as I read that it might help getting things working again,
with no luck.

In IIS, I tried using host headers, and took them off... both had no
effect.  Right now, I left the host headers on.

Here's a snippet of the logs:
2005-03-29 01:57:16 192.168.1.2 GET /oma/ - 443 - 123.234.123.234
Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+=AD=AD6.0;+Windows+NT+5.1;+SV1;+.NE=ADT=AD+CL=
R+1.1.4322)
401 2 2148074254
2005-03-29 01:57:16 192.168.1.2 GET /oma/ - 443 - 123.234.123.234
Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+=AD=AD6.0;+Windows+NT+5.1;+SV1;+.NE=ADT=AD+CL=
R+1.1.4322)
401 1 0
2005-03-29 01:57:18 192.168.1.2 GET /oma/oma.aspx - 443 domain\username
123.234.123.234
Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+=AD=AD6.0;+Windows+NT+5.1;+SV1;+.NE=ADT=AD+CL=
R+1.1.4322)
500 0 0

I looked in my event logs, but there is absolutely nothing
strange/weird looking worth mentioning.

Anyways, I'm stuck... OMA over SSL isn't working like I was hoping it
would.  Do you all have any other suggestions I can try?

Thanks very much!=20
Mike

OK... for anyone running into the same problem, I finally got it
figured out.  No website/google group had this info -- simply something
I tried out of sheer desperation... Hope you find it useful!

1.) In IIS Manager, expand your server -> application pools
2.) Right-click on ExchangeMobileBrowseApplicationPools -> Properties
3.) Click on the Identities tab
4.) Change the predefined application pool identity from the default
(network service) to the Local system account
5.) You will get a warning... say 'Yes', and OK out of everything...

You can now log into OMA configured on a Windows 2003 DC running SSL on
an alternate VDir (per KB817379).

Enjoy!
Mike

Save Window sizes in Config file?
Hey, I would like to save my child window sizes in some kind of config file. What is the accepted approach, using the registry somehow? I have seen this stuff before...... theApp.WriteProfileString("Optimizer", "Software", "password"); s = theApp.GetProfileString("Optimizer", "Software"); if(s != "password") errorexit("Illegal Software Security Code!"); Thanks, Wayne Hi, I think you are this way inviting people to start again with the always ongoing discussion of ini files versus registry en...

How to know when a window is created?
I want to create a CFormview derived application. I want to call GetClientRect() when the formview is created, but I can't find the message of handling this. If I call GetClientRect() in OnInitialUpdate(), I can't get the correct size I want. Thank you. zhaoyandong wrote: > I want to create a CFormview derived application. > > I want to call GetClientRect() when the formview is created, but I can't >find the message of handling this. > > If I call GetClientRect() in OnInitialUpdate(), I can't get the correct >size I want. Whenever the window ...

ACE provider for 64-bit Windows?
I have a vbs file that uses the following line to connect to an Access 2007 (accdb) file: ..Provider = "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0" This works fine as long as my OS is a 32-bit version of Windows XP/Vista/7, but it fails to run on 64-bit versions of Windows. Does anyone know how I can get a 64-bit version of Windows to work with this code? I asked this question in the office developer newsgroup but nobody could help. Thanks in advance for any assistance. D.P. Roberts D.P. Roberts wrote on 12 jul 2010 in microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript: > I have a vbs...

Are random signatures possible in Windows Live Mail?
Is it possible to have a list of quotes or other phrases which will be inserted at random when one's signature is generated on an outgoing email? Thanks in advance. No. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "BfloDoc" <BfloDoc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:11F13AB0-27C9-4300-B25B-10088D2C8B56@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to have a list of quotes or other phrases which will be = > inserted at random when one's signature is generated on an outgoing = email?...

Powerpoint viewer 2007 on windows embedded standard 2009
I had trying to install powerpoint viewer 2007 to my windows embedded system, but it cannot open pptx file and get an error message "This file requires the Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system to view its contents". After i installed fileformatconverter.exe i get another error message "The converter failed to save the file". The powerpoint viewer does run 2003 ver file only for 2007 ver having this problem. ...

It all started with Windows 2003 SP1 and Exchange SP2
We have a simple domain - one DC and one Member server supporting Exchange 2003. Both run with - DC Windows 2003 Enterprise and Exchange Windows 2003 Standard. My clients all use Office 2003 Professional. I have installed SP1 on both and SP2 on the Exchange server. Now the fun starts and where I am looking for help. Point 1 - I understand that the new Firewall using SCW has some problems; to the extent that Microsoft has issued a Troubleshooting Guide. I see there could be problems (article ID 896742) and Microsoft has a fix. I also understand that the recommendation is not to use SC...

Outlook 2003: Email address in 'From' column of Inbox.
Anyone know how to get the full email address to display in the 'from' column of the inbox in Outlook 2003? I have about half a dozen "Dave"s that all have different email address but they're indistinguishable in the inbox. Plus, I'm sick of just seeing someone's name when I really need to know the company name more than anything else. At least with a proper email address, I can easily work out if it's a legit email from a known company or spam. I don't want to have to read the post to see if it's valid. ------------------------------------------...

Outlook 2003 mail stuck in Outbox
I have Outlook 2003 and Win XP with a home network & broadband connection. When I try to send an email, it gets stuck in the outbox. I receive email fine, and my test of the email account setup is successful. When I try to send,, I get this message: Sending and receiving reported error (0x8004011D). The server is not available. Contact your administrator if the condition persists. What should I do. The condition does persist, and I don't have an administrator. Hi Shelterdog, please read this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=840835 -- Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern ...

Using bitmaps with CPaintDC
Is the code below the right approach to displaying bitmaps to a dialog. And is there any obvious problems with it, such as not being consistently displayed on other monitors. Also I would need to display a number of (small) bitmaps side by side on rows, and will need to add scroll functionability to this dialog. Does anyone know of the best approach to displaying these bitmaps in rows, and then adding a scroll for just a certain area of the dialog where the bitmaps are displayed. The member variables bmp and cdc are declared in the class declaration. void CDCBmpTestDlg::OnPaint() { CPain...

Outlook 2003 #134
I'm having a problem w/dragging & dropping email into folders while using MS Outlook 2003. After dropping about 3/4 email messages into folders (no matter where you drop them)I recieve this error message "Not enough storage is available to process this command". I've ckecked Event Viewer & task manager & cannot find any information about this problem so I can address it.I have also tried "Rebooting" and still get the same issue. Does anyone know how I can solve this issue??? ... .. I too am experiencing the exact same problem with Outlook ...

100% CPU used by SQL and HQClient
We are seeing both HQ Client and SQL tie up resources at the store servers during connection to HQ. This can slow access to the store database by registers for a long period of time. Anyone else seeing similar performance issues on store servers? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_059A_01C7B449.07A22E70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Rick, Make sure you're running 1.3 or higher. Consider more RAM and processor = speed. Maybe even dedicate a processor core to it. --=20 Regards, Jeff...

Monitoring Exchange 2003
How do I check the mail messages sitting in my SMTP queue using Exchange System Manager? Under property, the status is showing "Retry Remote Delivery". What is a better way to monitor what is going on in my Exchange server? I am running Exchange 2003 server. Is there also a way of seeing incoming emails before they are delivered to the intended recipients? If I can not use the Exchange System Manager in monitoring, what else can I use? Thanks Emma ...

Excel 2007 and Word 2007 Hangs when using the File -> Open command
I have a couple users that when they have Excel 2007 or Word 2007 open, and click the File -> Open option, and choose a file, it either takes about 3 minutes to open the file or the program will crash. If they were to double click on the documents or spreadsheets, the doc or sheet will open right up. This is happening on the user's Hard drive as well as network drives. Once you get a file opened in Word or Excel, however, the next time you go to File -> Open, it's really fast to open the file. ...

Outlook search window results
I am using Outlook 2002 search and cannot find an option to confine search results to the left column as in Outlook 2000. In the 2000 version you can choose a search result to display in the main window while maintaining the search results in the left column. Is there a way to do this? ...

Problem using a report from Access2003 to Access2007
I am trying to use a database created with Access 2003 in Access 2007 but have come up with a problem. The database contains a report which produces invoices for sales between two dates. When the report is run the user is asked to input sale date From and To (this is set up in the Invoice Query), Invoice Date and Invoice Start Number - these two are set up as text boxes on the report. Invoice Date conrol source has [Enter Invoice Date] and Invoice Start Number has [Page]+[Invoice Start Number]-1. This works fine in Access 2003 and the invoices come out correctly but in 2007 invoice ...

Does anyone use "location" field in Outlook?
After all these years, I just noticed when I go to make an appointment in Outlook (2003version, with BCM), that there's a second field after "subject" which would seem to be the one everbody mostly uses. The appointment fields are: 1. SUBJECT: (example: "Conference call with Joe and Mary) 2. LOCATION: (does anyone use this?) Is the idea to put something like "Annapolis, MD" meaning maybe a meeting there or something? I know it's a hokey question, but wondered about some examples of how other people are using it. Thanks, G Standard following us...

access & windows xp
we're trying to use access 2000 (part of office rooo profesional SR) on new HP/compaq machine that has xp pro on it. on clicking a button to jump between forms we get the following message:- The expression On Click you entered as the event peroperty setting produced the following error:- Can't find roject or library. The expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user defined function, or an [event proceedure]. There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro. .. It sounds like the button OnClick calls an expression e.g. "=M...

windows xp home op system viewing options
I've been running windows xp, home & pro, for some time now. In that system, pics that you have in your comp can be displayed in thumbnail form like a web page. My ancient monitor just blew up, and I FINALLY got a flat screen 20" monitor, but now the thumbs are MICROSCOPIC!! I've used the display settings to enhance the view to 150%, but it only affects text. Also, Explorer 8 has zoom features, but many of the programs, and my big want, the thumbnail pics are so tiny they're hurting my eyes to see them. Can we adjust the size of displayed files in the hard ...

Can I use Rule to move digitally signed messages to separate folder?
Is there a way to move digitally signed messages to a separate folder using a Rule? Other options for segregating digitally signed messages? Thanks in advance. deko <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is there a way to move digitally signed messages to a separate folder > using a Rule? Other options for segregating digitally signed > messages? I don't see that as a selection criterion in the Rules wizard. -- Brian Tillman ...

Outlook 2003
Our firm is just converting to Outlook 2003, and we're having a problem. If a lawyer has given full access rights to his/her assistant, then that assistant goes into the lawyers' Email and deletes something, it goes to the *assistant's* trash, not the lawyers. Same goes if they send an Email, it goes to the *assistant's* sent items, not the lawyers. Is there anyway to keep this from happening and being put in the appropriate person's folders? Thanks ...

"Find an event" feature in the Windows Live Mail/Calendar
In the Windows Live mail it is quite simple to "Find a message" as we type something in the search box and enter. But, I do not see any search box with the Calendar. Are there any ways to "Find" something in the Windows Live Calendar? Looking forward to hear from someone. Thank you. ...

Use with Office Communicator saving Conversations (IM)
Our office just upgraded our email, and now we have Office Communicatior available. OC allows the saving of conversations to Outlook. I noticed that when a conversation is closed or saved and returned to after a time delay, there are 2 conversations in the folder. Is there a way to only have 1 conversation in the folder? or to have the seperate conversations be distinct, i.e. convo 1 at 930am and ends at 1015 is one, and another covo starts at 215-225. now i'll have a conversation saved at 1015 that has all im from 930, as well as a convo at 225 that has the 215-225 as we...

how to set the client size of richedit?in which window message?
i want to set the client size of richedit according to its the whole window size. i have already overridden WM_NCPAINT, but how i can set its client size? -- With best regards, Wenming Hu Wenming Hu, Is it WM_SIZE you are after (in case you want to size the control after the parent)? In that case, you must make sure the RTF-control is created in the WM_SIZE-handler, as this message will be sent for the parent before the children are created. Johan Rosengren Abstrakt Mekanik AB "wenming hu" <wenming_hu2002@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:%23KY6AyNsEHA.3336@...

How to configure replies when using multiple email addresses?
Good morning, Here is my problem. There are several people in our organization that receive email from two different email domains, for the sake of argument, lets call them user1@abc.com and user1@xyz.com. Email from both email domains are routed through our Exchange server and then the clients receive their email through their Outlook clients, (Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2002). Abc.com is the primary email domain, and we have setup a partnership with another company, hence the arrival of the xyz.com domain. When they reply to an email, regardless if it arrives to their abc.com or xyz....

Migrate from Sbs 2003 to Win 2008 Std + Exchange 2010
Hi, I need to migrate my solution from sbs to std. I have 75 client, using file server, domain and exchange mailboxes. i have 2 new server with 2008 std r2 operating system. One for AD, other for Exchange 2010. Sbs server will be dismiss. Is possible migrate user account and mailboxs ? Is possible mantein the same domain name? (if not is not a problem) Have you a documents that explain step by step how to migrate ? Thank you very much Lorenzo Hi Lorenzo: By now there are thousands of references to various migration strategies listed in the various groups and els...