trouble connecting to Exchange 2003 using Outlook 97 Exchange Server Service

hello,

this  is my setup

I have one Active Directory domain containing two AD Sites, configured
through AD Sites and Services, Site one is the local LAN on the
192.168.x.x subnet, Site two is a remote site in a datacentre on the
public-facing 87.127.x.x subnet - the two sites are connecting via VPN
on Sonicwall firewalls

the VPN connection is solid - and commuications from Site one to Site
two is fine, and vice versa

netdiag and dcdiag from both sides report no problems

My Exchange Server is in Site two, along with a DC/GC and appears to
be working fine (still in testing phase), OWA works locally, from LAN
and from Internet.

Next I try to setup a connection from the LAN using Outlook97, no luck
- I get the following error:

"The name could not be resolved. Network Problems are preventing
connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer. Contact your ...
etc"

I immediately through this was a RPC randomized reply port through
firewall issue, so I backup up the parts of the registry to change and
followed the instructions here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270836
and http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/47057/47057.html) to
configure Exchange to use static ports for its services.

Then I created rules on boths firewalls at each end of the VPN tunnel
to allow traffic on the relevant ports.

But I stall can't connect.

Just to clarify, when setting up the Exchange Server Service do you
use '\\server' or 'server' as the Exchange Server name (I've tried
both, and the IP address too) and is Mailbox, the network logon name,
alias, or full name? (I've tried all three too)

0
cw1972 (36)

I would first check DNS and NetBIOS (WINS) name resolution at the client
workstation.  Outlook 97 is awfully old, dude.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"cw1972" <cw1972@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hello,
>
> this  is my setup
>
> I have one Active Directory domain containing two AD Sites, configured
> through AD Sites and Services, Site one is the local LAN on the
> 192.168.x.x subnet, Site two is a remote site in a datacentre on the
> public-facing 87.127.x.x subnet - the two sites are connecting via VPN
> on Sonicwall firewalls
>
> the VPN connection is solid - and commuications from Site one to Site
> two is fine, and vice versa
>
> netdiag and dcdiag from both sides report no problems
>
> My Exchange Server is in Site two, along with a DC/GC and appears to
> be working fine (still in testing phase), OWA works locally, from LAN
> and from Internet.
>
> Next I try to setup a connection from the LAN using Outlook97, no luck
> - I get the following error:
>
> "The name could not be resolved. Network Problems are preventing
> connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer. Contact your ...
> etc"
>
> I immediately through this was a RPC randomized reply port through
> firewall issue, so I backup up the parts of the registry to change and
> followed the instructions here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270836
> and http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/47057/47057.html) to
> configure Exchange to use static ports for its services.
>
> Then I created rules on boths firewalls at each end of the VPN tunnel
> to allow traffic on the relevant ports.
>
> But I stall can't connect.
>
> Just to clarify, when setting up the Exchange Server Service do you
> use '\\server' or 'server' as the Exchange Server name (I've tried
> both, and the IP address too) and is Mailbox, the network logon name,
> alias, or full name? (I've tried all three too)

0
curspice6401 (3487)
3/23/2007 2:51:55 AM
ok, resolved it - all working now

I decided to systematically go through each step

- double checked that MSExchangeSA had its TCP Port and TCP NSPI Port
defined in the registry
- double checked that MSExchangeIS has its TCP Port defined in the
registry
- removed the custom rule and custom service from both my firewalls,
just to be in a clean state

** the thing I did not do yesterday!! **

- open the three ports I defined for the Exchange Service on the
Exchange Server itself (doh!)

now it works fine with Outlook 97's Exchange Server service - I didn't
even have to re-open the ports on my firewalls as all the traffic is
going through a 3DES/SHA1 VPN tunnel

such a simple thing... but had me stumped for over 24 hours...

On 22 Mar, 15:02, "cw1972" <cw1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> this  is my setup
>
> I have one Active Directory domain containing two AD Sites, configured
> through AD Sites and Services, Site one is the local LAN on the
> 192.168.x.x subnet, Site two is a remote site in a datacentre on the
> public-facing 87.127.x.x subnet - the two sites are connecting via VPN
> on Sonicwall firewalls
>
> the VPN connection is solid - and commuications from Site one to Site
> two is fine, and vice versa
>
> netdiag and dcdiag from both sides report no problems
>
> My Exchange Server is in Site two, along with a DC/GC and appears to
> be working fine (still in testing phase), OWA works locally, from LAN
> and from Internet.
>
> Next I try to setup a connection from the LAN using Outlook97, no luck
> - I get the following error:
>
> "The name could not be resolved. Network Problems are preventing
> connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer. Contact your ...
> etc"
>
> I immediately through this was a RPC randomized reply port through
> firewall issue, so I backup up the parts of the registry to change and
> followed the instructions here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270836
> andhttp://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/47057/47057.html) to
> configure Exchange to use static ports for its services.
>
> Then I created rules on boths firewalls at each end of the VPN tunnel
> to allow traffic on the relevant ports.
>
> But I stall can't connect.
>
> Just to clarify, when setting up the Exchange Server Service do you
> use '\\server' or 'server' as the Exchange Server name (I've tried
> both, and the IP address too) and is Mailbox, the network logon name,
> alias, or full name? (I've tried all three too)

0
cw1972 (36)

Using Relative path for XML data file?

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Excel 97 #9

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Reading SQL Server Extended Properties

Problem with "Use Unicode Format when saving messages"
In outlook we have option to set "use Unicode format when saving messages"(outlook>tools>options>other >Advanced options),even though option is enabled, when ever I try "save as" the email into folder, it is showing Html format by default.However can drop down the list and select the Unicode format. But I need Unicode message format to be shown by default if I need to "save as" any email. Any Suggestion ? Regards, Sam That is not possible and that is not what this option controls. The option controls whether the default safe fo...

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Contacts in Exchange #2