Track email accounts not being used - possible?

Good afternoon. We have several hundred Outlook users. Our server currently
is 2003 with Exchange Server 2003. I was wondering if there is a way for me
to see which of our users are not using their email on a regular basis.
Policy states that staff should look at their email daily but I know for
certain that some users have not looked at their email in months. Any
assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

In ESM expand the Stores and then select 'logons' or 'mailboxes', it will
show you there last logon date.

No logon date means the user is currently logged in.

Oliver

"Looking 4 Help Please" <dontbotherme@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Good afternoon. We have several hundred Outlook users. Our server
> currently
> is 2003 with Exchange Server 2003. I was wondering if there is a way for
> me
> to see which of our users are not using their email on a regular basis.
> Policy states that staff should look at their email daily but I know for
> certain that some users have not looked at their email in months. Any
> assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
4/25/2007 9:58:18 PM
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 12:46:04 -0700, Looking 4 Help Please
<dontbotherme@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Good afternoon. We have several hundred Outlook users. Our server currently
>is 2003 with Exchange Server 2003. I was wondering if there is a way for me
>to see which of our users are not using their email on a regular basis.
>Policy states that staff should look at their email daily but I know for
>certain that some users have not looked at their email in months. Any
>assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

NOt really a good way since ESM will give you a lot of false
positives.

If policy states that staff should look at their email daily, why not
send out an email asking each user to respond to it in some manner? :)

0
adavid (8731)
4/25/2007 10:12:27 PM
Thanks to both of you for getting back to me. I had seen the Logon Date for
the mailboxes and had noticed that not all our users were apparently signed
on at the time I looked at the information. If this information provides
false positives, then I guess that isn't what I'm looking for. Having to send
an email daily asking each user to respond would be an administrative
nightmare, so I guess that isn't an option. It would appear that there is not
a way within Exhange to accomplish what I'm looking for. Thanks again.

"Andy David  {MVP}" wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 12:46:04 -0700, Looking 4 Help Please
> <dontbotherme@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Good afternoon. We have several hundred Outlook users. Our server currently
> >is 2003 with Exchange Server 2003. I was wondering if there is a way for me
> >to see which of our users are not using their email on a regular basis.
> >Policy states that staff should look at their email daily but I know for
> >certain that some users have not looked at their email in months. Any
> >assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.
>

> NOt really a good way since ESM will give you a lot of false
> positives.
>
> If policy states that staff should look at their email daily, why not
> send out an email asking each user to respond to it in some manner? :)

Here is a script, the methodology is not perfect.

This script has been written to try and help in this situation by
querying the number of items in a mailbox received in the last 50 days
and the comparing this figure against a count of the number of unread
emails in a  mailbox over the last 50 days. If these two figures are
equal then its a good chance that this mailbox is not currently in use
and its time to chase people up to see if it needs to be deleted.

Finding Unused mailboxes
http://www.outlookexchange.com/articles/glenscales/unreadrep.asp

James Chong (MVP)

On Apr 26, 11:30 am, Looking 4 Help Please <dontbothe...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Thanks to both of you for getting back to me. I had seen the Logon Date for
> the mailboxes and had noticed that not all our users were apparently signed
> on at the time I looked at the information. If this information provides
> false positives, then I guess that isn't what I'm looking for. Having to send
> an email daily asking each user to respond would be an administrative
> nightmare, so I guess that isn't an option. It would appear that there is not
> a way within Exhange to accomplish what I'm looking for. Thanks again.
>
> "Andy David  {MVP}" wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 12:46:04 -0700, Looking 4 Help Please
> > <dontbothe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > >Good afternoon. We have several hundred Outlook users. Our server currently
> > >is 2003 with Exchange Server 2003. I was wondering if there is a way for me
> > >to see which of our users are not using their email on a regular basis.
> > >Policy states that staff should look at their email daily but I know for
> > >certain that some users have not looked at their email in months. Any
> > >assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.
>
> > NOt really a good way since ESM will give you a lot of false
> > positives.
>
> > If policy states that staff should look at their email daily, why not
> > send out an email asking each user to respond to it in some manner? :)- Hide quoted text -

jamestechman (1266)
4/26/2007 8:03:26 PM
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:30:01 -0700, Looking 4 Help Please
<dontbotherme@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thanks to both of you for getting back to me. I had seen the Logon Date for
>the mailboxes and had noticed that not all our users were apparently signed
>on at the time I looked at the information. If this information provides
>false positives, then I guess that isn't what I'm looking for. Having to send
>an email daily asking each user to respond would be an administrative
>nightmare, so I guess that isn't an option. It would appear that there is not
>a way within Exhange to accomplish what I'm looking for. Thanks again.

The problem of course is this is not a technical issue. If people are
required to look at their email and they dont, I would think that is
on them if they miss something important.
Logging on to a mailbox and/or opening an email, doesnt mean a user
actually read it, ( You can have the preview pane enabled which will
mark the email read, even if it actually wasnt),  so there is really
no way to get at the information you require.

>"Andy David  {MVP}" wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 12:46:04 -0700, Looking 4 Help Please
>> <dontbotherme@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Good afternoon. We have several hundred Outlook users. Our server currently
>> >is 2003 with Exchange Server 2003. I was wondering if there is a way for me
>> >to see which of our users are not using their email on a regular basis.
>> >Policy states that staff should look at their email daily but I know for
>> >certain that some users have not looked at their email in months. Any
>> >assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.
>>

>> NOt really a good way since ESM will give you a lot of false
>> positives.
>>
>> If policy states that staff should look at their email daily, why not
>> send out an email asking each user to respond to it in some manner? :)

0
adavid (8731)

Enable lot tracking after Item setup
Is there a way to enable tracking on an inventory item after it's been setup and/or there's an on-hand balance? Thanks, Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP NOVA Solutions LLC Melbourne, FL Mr. Whaley, can yoiu answer this one? Thanks! Frank It looks like once it has a balance you cannot change it. I would export old items and import them as new items with a single character chnage to the item #. The discontinue old items "Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP" wrote: > Is there a way to enable tracking on an inventory item after it's been > setup and/or there's an on-hand balan...

With Microsoft FAX Nearly One Minute Delay between Using Print
With Windows Messaging and Microsoft Fax under Win 98 SE, when I printed a document to Microsoft Fax, the fax wizard would start a few seconds after I said print. I installed Outlook 2000. With it, there seems to be a consistent nearly one minute delay between when I say print and the fax wizard starts. If Outlook is running, there is no delay. The osa9.exe program doesn't make any difference. Needless to say, this is an annoyance, having to go through two steps, start Outlook and then print, rather than simply printing. Does anyone know of a way to make Outlook 2000 work like Messag...

Icon not set using MFC AppWizard
I create an application called "Test" with the MFC AppWizard. I uncheck "document/view architecture" in the wizard dialog. After the wizard generates my source files, I immediately compile. Although it created Test.ico in my resources, it does not show up in the upper left corner of my main application window. Does anyone know why? If I go through the above steps and select "document/view architecture", then it works as expected. What is the difference? Did you associate test.ico with the resource ID IDR_MAINFRAME? Did you draw both the 32x32 and 16x16 ve...

Anyway To Always bcc same email address automatically
Is there anyway to set up a rule or something so that everytime I send an email it is bcc'd to a specific email address? Thanks. Rick Bellefond RB Data Services rick@rbdata.com Do not know if this works in 2003 but here is a link to some code that will do this for 2000: http://www.slipstick.com/dev/code/autobcc.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Rick Bellefond asked: ...

How can I pre-filter a table that is used in a query in a live dat
How can I pre-filter a table that is used in a query in a live database? I have about 47 queries (SQL text in a memo field in a table) that all reference a few tables in the same database. I would like to limit the table’s data instead of re-writing all the queries to include further criteria. The queries are very complex and it is not desirable to re-write the queries and use parameters. This database is live on an ASP.NET web page and there may be multiple people viewing the reports which are using these queries. Since there are multiple users I can not simply copy the tables into ...

Duplicated Email
Exchange 2003; when an email is sent to the Exchange domain from a remote email address and more than 1 address is placed in the to: or cc: field, then when the email is received everyone receives 1 copy per addresse, in other words exchange is reading the resend as well as the to: and cc Is this a bug within exchange 2003, is there a way of configuring exchange to not look at the resend in the header. Using some kind of POP3 "connector"? Richard Schofield wrote: > Exchange 2003; when an email is sent to the Exchange domain from a remote email address and more than 1 addres...

Emailing Question from my DB
Presently I have a this code to email my Report when I close it, Is there any way that I can code my Batch Report to email remembering each report may have a different email address?? Below Is my Print Batch Invoice & My emailing code for single Report ------------------------------------------- Case "PrintInvoiceBatch" If IsNull(tbDateFrom.value) Or tbDateFrom.value = "" Or IsNull(tbDateTo.value) Or tbDateTo.value = "" Then MsgBox "Please Enter the Begining Date and End Date.", vbApplicationModal + vbInform...

Missing Email Attachments
Hi all, please help! We have been sent emails from a partner company which are missing attachments. Upon investigation they have been sending emails composed in rich text format. KB 138053 provided this... "When an end user sends mail to the Internet from an Exchange Windows or Outlook client, a file attachment called Winmail.dat may be automatically added to the end of the message if the recipient's client cannot receive messages in Rich Text Format (RTF). The Winmail.dat file contains Exchange Server RTF information for the message, and may appear to the recipient as a bina...

Using Excel 2000 as Data source for Word 2000 document
Problem using Mail Merge using Word 2000 & Excel 2000. After numerous problems - Word failed to connect to Data Souce file then it would & then it wouldn't and so on - reasons which are unknown! The 106 records in 19 fields from the Excel Data Source are only transferring the information for the first 104 records. I am looking to add further records but obviously need to overcome this problem. Hi Malcolm- Obvious, perhaps, but are you certain that the records are in consecutive rows & no vacant columns separating the fields of data? Does the data range contain any Merge...

Workflow generated email for reassignment of Opportunity
We have a CSR that inputs Opportunities in to CRM and then assigns them to the appropriate Salesperson based on Account Ownership. I tried creating a workflow process that automatically sends an email to the Account Owner that an Opportunity has been assigned to them. Unfortunately the recipient box is grayed out and by default the email is sent to the Account. Is there a workflow process in place that can handle my intentions? Actually, you can send email to designated recipients with Workfow, you just can't use a template. For some reason, it was setup this way. You could code a ...

"To: contains a phrase" filter does not work for outgoing emails
I have created filter specifying a phrase from the TO: field of an email. Such emails should be placed in a folder. This does not work for emails sent from my outlook. How to place an outgoing email in a specific folder based on the TO: field? O. Ondrej Sevecek <ondra at my_surname dot com> wrote: > I have created filter specifying a phrase from the TO: field of an > email. Such emails should be placed in a folder. This does not work > for emails sent from my outlook. > How to place an outgoing email in a specific folder based on the TO: > field? Use the "wit...

VB.Net question on using the XML DOM (xmldocument)
I am about to go bonkers trying to figure this out -- So here goes Currently I am building an xml document and have no problem building the document with one namespace designation using the DOM. Here is a snip-it of what I have <vl:VNETList xmlns:vl="http://www.1234.com/VNET/List"> <Template> <ID>Template_FFF4887BC8B4E98F85256EE60061576A</ID> I can’t figure out how to add a secondary xmlns reference that will look like this. <vl:VNETList xmlns:vl="http://www.1234.com/VNET/List" xmlns="http://www.5678.com/VNET/eiwm"> <Templ...

using "voice" in Win 7 w/ Win 2008 R2
I have a script that I run during logon and a different one at logoff. the drive mapping part of the script works just fine. But the voice part doesn't. Now, If I copy the script from the network and run it locally, it'll run the voice part. Any ideas? I've removed the drive mapping for security purposes. Dim WSHNetwork Set WSHNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network") 'Grab the user name UserString = WSHNetwork.UserName 'Speech add on (make your pc say hello to you) '-------------------------------------------- Dim HourNow, Gre...

Unable to send emails #2
My mail server is not sending out emails. When I perform an NSLookup on the server's IP address I get an UNKNOWN for the server name. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote: >My mail server is not sending out emails. When I perform an NSLookup on the >server's IP address I get an UNKNOWN for the server name. > >Any ideas would be appreciated. Fix your DNS or your network connection to your DNS. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm I have...

Charting software: what does The Economist use?
Any clue of what software the people at The Economist uses to create charts? I=92m wondering whether there is some software out there better than MS Excel that would give better control without the onerous workarounds. You can do pretty well with Excel, and the "onerous" workarounds aren't too bad once you've become familiar with them. They are generally a bit more onerous in 2007. http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/05/30/magazine-quality-chart-economist/ - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - ...

Not sure if this is possible
I have my database set up to process our company's cellphone bills. Everything works perfectly but there is a feature I would like to add. since all of the data is already there, I have a query set to look at the data and provide me with the minutes used for each month, date of the invoice and cost charged for each phone. In the report I have it sorted by phone number and user and I have averages set for each user simply by entering in the start and end dates of the invoices queried. Now, here's the question. I know I can do averages in a query but would that no depend on sp...

Signature option disappears when using word as e-mail editor
Hello, I've got a weird problem. When I try to use word as my e-mail editor, I lose the ability to add signature. As soon as I check the box to use word as my e-mail editor, the signatures buttons are greyed out. Any advice? Thanks! Jeff Jeff Brooks-Manas wrote: > Hello, > > I've got a weird problem. When I try to use word as my e-mail editor, > I lose the ability to add signature. As soon as I check the box to > use word as my e-mail editor, the signatures buttons are greyed out. > > Any advice? > > Thanks! > > Jeff The signature option within ...

Copy and Paste the transactions between accounts
Can I copy the transactions in an account and paste to another account to split one transaction to two different accounts easily? Because I run two business with me and want to split one expence in order to assign under the different company names. Thank you in advance for the kind reply. >-----Original Message----- >Can I copy the transactions in an account and paste to >another account to split one transaction to two different >accounts easily? >Because I run two business with me and want to split one >expence in order to assign under the different company >nam...

my hotmail account
Will you please help me close my account? Thank you No one here can help you with that. Questions regarding Hotmail accounts and operation can be asked at http://windowslivehelp.com/ -- Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) Windows 7 Ultimate http://download.live.com/wlmail "kim johnson" <kim johnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3CFE80E-9090-4C35-A737-810151354383@microsoft.com... > Will you please help me close my account? Thank you All support for Windows Live Hotmail and related Live Services(account, Live ID, etc) is handled by the W...

Automatically open different workbooks depending on user account used.
There are two userrs on the same computer. When user 1 opens Excel, I'd like oen workbook to automatically open. When user2 opens Excel, I'd like a diffferent workbook to automatically open. Is this possible? (Each user logs into Windows usning their uuser account.) The computer is running windows XP pro and Excel 2007. Thanks, Something like this might work for you. This is untested. Post back if this doesn't work for you. Place the following macro in the ThisWorkbook module. You would need to change ThePath to your real path, the user account names for Joe and Bill...

Scheduling Outgoing Emails?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop I've seen this question asked before but it hasn't been answered. Is there a way to schedule outgoing messages in Entourage so that you can write a series of emails, schedule them, and have them run on their own? <br><br>Thanks. On 5/16/10 10:41 AM, in article 59bb88f7.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "johanna@officeformac.com" <johanna@officeformac.com> wrote: > Is there a way to schedule outgoing messages in Entourage so that you can > write a se...

emails sent from work
I sent emails from work to home address yet the messages are not in my inbox. Why not? do I have to set up somehow? "dummy" <dummy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:32256DDD-4E7B-48F7-AF7A-2D2080B94BFB@microsoft.com > I sent emails from work to home address yet the messages are not in > my inbox. Why not? do I have to set up somehow? Inbox where? ...

Urgent Send email problem!!!
OK Techies; this is a baffler! Neither Netscape-7.1 nor Outlook-2000 send emails from my desktop. I can receive from any email client but can't send from the client. I can send form my ISP's Webserver, but not from my desktop client. I'm using Verizon DSL. Everything else (HW / SW) on the PC works fine; P-3 1 GHz. w/512 Mb. RAM - 80 Gb HD; running Win2k-Pro SP4. It seems as though port 25 (SMTP) is blocked somehow. I tried another DSL modem; no change.It's obviously not the modem, or is it the email client-app (I've used several). I've tried sending with and...

Use Excel to update Outlook address book
hi all... Is there a way to update outlook address book using excel? Is there a macro available for it? Thank you for your answers Mike ...

want to use ranges from seperate
i have name ranges on one sheet, the new sheet has the same ranges but are shifted and dont match up with the ranges, i want to move the ranges on the 2nd sheet so i can use the name ranges on the first and have them match up jason -- noodlehead777 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ noodlehead777's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29283 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=490450 Try, <Insert> <Name> <Define> And click on the range name in the big window, Then...