Trace IP Address or Computer Name of the Messages

Hi Everyone,

For anti-virus and other reasons, we need to find out the
IP address or computer name of the messages.

We found the article KB246965 XADM: Message Tracking Logs
Field Descriptions in Exchange 2000 Server, which tells
that Message Tracking Logs of Exchange 2000 has this kind
of information.  But from KB173280: Tracking Log Field
Descriptions, we knew the information we want to get
cannot be found in Exchange 5.5 Message Tracking Logs.

My question is:
Is there any way other than upgrading the Exchange 5.5 to
Exchange 2000/2003 so that the IP address or computer name
of the message can be logged or stampped?

Any advice or information related to this issue is very
appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric
0
anonymous (74722)

"Eric" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,
>
> For anti-virus and other reasons, we need to find out the
> IP address or computer name of the messages.
>
> We found the article KB246965 XADM: Message Tracking Logs
> Field Descriptions in Exchange 2000 Server, which tells
> that Message Tracking Logs of Exchange 2000 has this kind
> of information.  But from KB173280: Tracking Log Field
> Descriptions, we knew the information we want to get
> cannot be found in Exchange 5.5 Message Tracking Logs.
>
> My question is:
> Is there any way other than upgrading the Exchange 5.5 to
> Exchange 2000/2003 so that the IP address or computer name
> of the message can be logged or stampped?
>
> Any advice or information related to this issue is very
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric

This MS article about SMTP protocol logging might be useful:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;257538

Lee.

--
_______________________________________

Outlook Web Access For PDA , OWA For WAP:
www.leederbyshire.com
email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m
_______________________________________

0
Lee
1/29/2004 6:52:12 PM
Thank you for the info, Lee

SMTP or Internet mails are part of our concerns but we do have options at firewall and SMTP gateway.  Our major concern now is inside Exchange server.  The article about SMTP cannot help us too much

Regards

Eric
0
anonymous (74722)
1/29/2004 7:21:10 PM
> Thank you for the info, Lee.
>
> SMTP or Internet mails are part of our concerns but we do have options at
firewall and SMTP gateway.  Our major concern now is inside Exchange server.
The article about SMTP cannot help us too much.

> Regards,
>
> Eric

I see.  I incorrectly assumed you meant incoming mail, since you mentioned
that viruses were a concern.  I don't think it's possible to log the sending
computer name.  I assume you already have the logging level set to maximum,
and don't see the name anywhere.

Lee.

--
_______________________________________

Outlook Web Access For PDA , OWA For WAP:
www.leederbyshire.com
email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m
_______________________________________

0
Lee

recieved error message 0x8DE00006
I cannot get Outlook to send a mass mailer out to business emails. Is ther a max amount that I can send too? I just keep getting this error message and then I go to look it up and there is not solution. Please help!? I have about 375 emails addresses in a distribution list. I just can't seem to send it out. This is most probably an issue with your ISP. They put a quota on how many emails you can send out at a single time. It is a control put in place to restrict Spam. Call your ISP for info -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests fo...

Excel pivottable with OLAP cubes saves names, not keys
hi, Is there a way to let the Excel XP pivottables/OLAP cubes reports save the member keys, not meber names? The members disapperas in the reports when the names are updated i the dim-table, and this is a problem. All my Analysis Services dimension levels got keys unique and names not unique. I can't set the dim-property keys unique, because they are not. This is the report info (from Frontpage/OWC, cant find it in Excel): &lt;x:IncludedMember&gt; &lt;x:Name&gt;0000 ABCDEFGH&lt;/x:Name&gt; &lt;x:UniqueName&gt;[MyDim].[All MyDim].[0000 A...

Trouble enabling Message tracking
when i go to enable message tracking on my 2k3 exchange server it comes up with the following error: Access Denied. Facitity: LDAP Provider ID no: 80070005 Microsoft exchange management. Now i have full rights over the domain - Full exchange right. I've also permissioned the share and NTFS of \\server\exchange.log correctly and this share points to c:\program files\Exchsrvr\server.log. Could someone please help me? many thanks Will Gerrish Are you trying to do this from the actual Exchange server or somewhere else? Nue "will gerrish" <willgerrish@discussions.microso...

VLookup in VBA giving error message

Naming charts on own sheet
Hi. I have a series of charts (which are all contained on their own sheets). I need to name each of the charts (as they will be used by someone else in a macro). I have tried clicking on them and also pressing shift before clicking on them, and I am not able to change the name in the name combo box. Can anyone advise me of how I can change the names. Thanks for your help. Hi, If you have chart sheets you can change the name by simply changing the sheet tab name. What you described is the method used on chartobjects, which are usually on a worksheet. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Mi...

Exchange 5.5 to 2003 upgrade issue 3

Hiding sheet tab names
I created an automated workbook where I need to keep the sheet tab name hidden from the user. I went into Tools-Options-View and unchecke Sheet Tabs. Then I protected the workbook and the sheet yet the use can still go into Tools-Options-View and re-check the Sheet Tabs t view them again. How do I lock the user out of viewing the sheet tabs? :confused -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could use the "very hidden" property that prevents users from viewing hidden worksheets without using VBA: Dim ws2 As Worksheet For Each ws2 In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets If w...

Vacation Message
Is there a way to send an automated response letting people know you are away from the office? If corporate e-mail servers are Microsoft Exchange, you should have an option under the Tools menu called Out of Office Assistant. "Brien" <bnicolau@falcon.tamucc.edu> wrote in message news:0db401c34d2c$307e9e10$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to send an automated response letting > people know you are away from the office? ...

Set default address book automatically (registry)
I know I have done this before a few years back in another site - but I cant remember how. We need to set the default lookup address book for all our 2000+ OL2k3 users and to use a specific lookup order. I know they could each do this manually but we have 2000+ users and the support overhead would be huge. We dont want to users to use the GAL as their default lookup (which it is out of the box) because it contains lost of confusing system addresses and duplicate names for the same person in different security level networks; which the users find VERY confusing to distinguish between). We wan...

Fossil Watch
Price:$75.00 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B000W7UJJI Best deal: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B000W7UJJI The watch that I ordered was lost by the shipping company. When I called ShoppingZulla, they refunded my money within 1 day - when it wasn't even their fault. Mens black IP watch which features a black leather strap on a black IP case. Accented with bold hour markers and black dial 5 ATM. Limited 11 year warranty SIMILAR PRODUCTS: Fossil Watch - Blue Dial:http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B001AOGIUQ Fossil Watch - White Multifunctio...

Select All Names
We have a form with a combo box and that combo box executes a query to find all of the records matching the user's name. The query derives that value from a form based parameter called vName. This is how the process works. 1. The user starts by selecting their name via a drop down list combo box on a dialog form. 2. That selection becomes the value of vName. 3. The user clicks OK and then moves to the data entry form. 4. On the data entry form, the user then clicks on another combo box which runs the aforementined query, which in turn uses the value of the variable vName to find ...

Problem with message routing between EXCH2K and EX2K3
We are running a ver simply Exchange topology, with an Exchange 2000 single server (ServerA) acting as "dumb" Information Store. Incoming and outbound SMTP email is relayed through a Linux based SMTP host relay on the same subnet, which handles all domain lookups for mail routing. ServerA is configured to use to the Linux SMTP server as it's smart host. The domain is a native Windows 2003 AD topology. My problem is the following: I have recently added a new Exchange 2003 Server (ServerB) into our Exchange site topology. If I create a user (UserA) on ServerA and then do a...

Transfer address bk and messages
How do I transfer fromm outlook 2003 my info to 2003 on anew computer. Can it really be that hard? Nope. This is your second post. One is enough: http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/preview.aspx?AssetID=HA010771141033&CTT=98 -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "diggy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37da01c469f6$b6172d20$3a01280a@phx.gbl... > How do I transfer fromm outlook 2003 my info to 2003 on > anew computer. Can it really be that hard? ...

Range Names with Charts
I would like to use rangenames to specify the data sources for a chart, but Excel does not seem to like this. I have tried entering the rangename in the following formats: rangename =rangename ={rangename] ={"rangename"} .... and various other formats. Surely there is a way to do this ....? Art Hi, try either depending on whether the named range is local to the sheet. =sheetname!rangename =bookname.xls!rangename cheers Andy ArthurJ wrote: > I would like to use rangenames to specify the data sources for a chart, but > Excel does not seem to like this. I have tried en...

invalid use of property message
I am trying to cre4ate a macro that checks the value of a number of sheets to determine if they are already visible and if so it will not close them - With Sheets("Pay Inflation - Biometrics") Sheets ("Statistics") Sheets ("Direct Cost Savings Breakdown") Sheets ("OT Reduction") Sheets ("Nurse OT Reduction") Sheets ("Premium Labor Utilization") Sheets ("Pay inflation - Timestamp") Sheets ("Calculation Error") Sheets ("Le...

Public Const strConstantBlue As String = "RGB(79, 129, 189)" throwing error messages
Dear Experts: I declared a Public Constant whose value is valid for a COUPLE of macros. The declaration statement to define the value of the constant is as follows: Public Const strConstantBlue As String = "RGB(79, 129, 189)" The above defined constant will then be used in below macro as well as several similar macros. I declared a Public Const so that I just have to alter the RGB values in one place, should a change be required. Regrettably the macro throws error messages, telling me that a runtime error 13 has occurred. What's wrong with the declaration sta...

Cursor on new message window but no text appears when typed?
When using Outlook 2003 for sending new e-mail, I'm unable to type text into the message body. The cursor appears but no text shows. Text appears when I use Word 2003 to send my new e-mail message. It is more convenient for me to use Outlook. Help. ...

Finding and naming duplicates
Hi All, not sure if anyone can help with this. I have a column called VNTR24 which has 10+ digit numbers - these are not unique and we want to be able to identify people with matching VNTR24 numbers to cluster them. In excel I've used the following formula: =COUNTIF(A:A,A2)>1 to return in the next column a TRUE or FALSE based on whether two records are matched on VNTR24 number. I need to do the same in Access 2007, returning either a "TRUE" or "FALSE" if the records are clustered/matched on this VNTR24 or not in an UPDATE query!? Can anyone h...