Too many Names in Directory Service Error

Hi,

Exchange 2003.  When setting up an Outlook 2003 client for a new user , and
performing the "Check name" operation to verify the server and alias, I
receive an error "too many names have been found in the directory service or
the server has reached its time limit fo searching".   And consequently can't
setup Outlook.   OWA works fine for this new user.

There are around 30 existing users - which have been setup over the last
year or so - without any problems.   I have tried setting up an Outlook 2003
profile for a different (existing user) on this machine, and also for this
new user and an existing user on a different client PC, and I get the same
error.  So it seems something in Exchange or AD is broken.

There are no other symptoms (users all logging on OK, email flow fine - it
just seems to be the "check name" that doesn;t work).

Firstly any ideas what may be causing this? I can find nothing on Technet or
Google - there are no event logs updated on the server or client at the time
of the error. DNS etc seems to be fine.

Secondly - Is there a "hack" for configuring the Outlook profile manually
(which does not perform a verification)  that may allow me to get the Outlook
profile for a new user configured (they are currently having to use OWA),
until I find out what is causing this.

BTW this is Exchange 2003 on SBS - although presumably this should have no
bearing.

Regards,

Fred

Sounds like something is broken.  All I can think of is to log a call with
PSS.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"fred" <jacma70@123.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Exchange 2003.  When setting up an Outlook 2003 client for a new user ,
> and
> performing the "Check name" operation to verify the server and alias, I
> receive an error "too many names have been found in the directory service
> or
> the server has reached its time limit fo searching".   And consequently
> can't
> setup Outlook.   OWA works fine for this new user.
>
> There are around 30 existing users - which have been setup over the last
> year or so - without any problems.   I have tried setting up an Outlook
> 2003
> profile for a different (existing user) on this machine, and also for this
> new user and an existing user on a different client PC, and I get the same
> error.  So it seems something in Exchange or AD is broken.
>
> There are no other symptoms (users all logging on OK, email flow fine - it
> just seems to be the "check name" that doesn;t work).
>
> Firstly any ideas what may be causing this? I can find nothing on Technet
> or
> Google - there are no event logs updated on the server or client at the
> time
> of the error. DNS etc seems to be fine.
>
> Secondly - Is there a "hack" for configuring the Outlook profile manually
> (which does not perform a verification)  that may allow me to get the
> Outlook
> profile for a new user configured (they are currently having to use OWA),
> until I find out what is causing this.
>
> BTW this is Exchange 2003 on SBS - although presumably this should have no
> bearing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Fred

0
curspice6401 (3487)
9/21/2005 4:18:32 PM
Hi Fred,

Thanks for posting.

I noticed that you have submitted a similar post  in smallbizserver news
group. If it is an identical issue, to avoid duplicating the steps and in
efforts to track our troubleshooting process, I suggest you continue to
reply to that post but I will work on this issue with Bill together. It is
our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Have a good day!

Thanks & Regards,

Wen Sun
Microsoft Online Partner Support
MCP, MCP+I, MCSE,

wensun (38)

recieved error message 0x8DE00006
I cannot get Outlook to send a mass mailer out to business emails. Is ther a max amount that I can send too? I just keep getting this error message and then I go to look it up and there is not solution. Please help!? I have about 375 emails addresses in a distribution list. I just can't seem to send it out. This is most probably an issue with your ISP. They put a quota on how many emails you can send out at a single time. It is a control put in place to restrict Spam. Call your ISP for info -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests fo...

"Application has failed to start..." error message with VS2005 on new machine
VC++ MFC Project working absolutely fine on one machine Installed Visual Studio on a new portable and copied the project and all the settings over, done a complete rebuild which worked fine but now get an error message "The application has failed to start becuase the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem" Have tried reinsalling (but I dont think this is relevant as I am working with VStudio) the message pops up a couple of times but then the program runs OK Does anyone know what this means and how to find out what is missin...

Cannot show, import, export userform: error &H80004005 / component is not corretly installed
Please, help me! I can not find where is the the information I need. My problem is: I had Windows 2000 and Office 2000. Now they installed Windows XP and Office 2000 (serv.pack 3). And my forms do not work anymore! The error message says nothing useful, only: 1) the component is not corretly installed (ok! but it's a common form with only normal windows common buttons and labels, not a single userparty creative control) 2) error: &H80004005 -2147467259 3) memory insuficient (ahah, at 512 Mb, only Excel running... ) 4) can not set OleObjectBlob property But if I try to open the...

Excel pivottable with OLAP cubes saves names, not keys
hi, Is there a way to let the Excel XP pivottables/OLAP cubes reports save the member keys, not meber names? The members disapperas in the reports when the names are updated i the dim-table, and this is a problem. All my Analysis Services dimension levels got keys unique and names not unique. I can't set the dim-property keys unique, because they are not. This is the report info (from Frontpage/OWC, cant find it in Excel): &lt;x:IncludedMember&gt; &lt;x:Name&gt;0000 ABCDEFGH&lt;/x:Name&gt; &lt;x:UniqueName&gt;[MyDim].[All MyDim].[0000 A...

Naming charts on own sheet
Hi. I have a series of charts (which are all contained on their own sheets). I need to name each of the charts (as they will be used by someone else in a macro). I have tried clicking on them and also pressing shift before clicking on them, and I am not able to change the name in the name combo box. Can anyone advise me of how I can change the names. Thanks for your help. Hi, If you have chart sheets you can change the name by simply changing the sheet tab name. What you described is the method used on chartobjects, which are usually on a worksheet. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Mi...

Hiding sheet tab names
I created an automated workbook where I need to keep the sheet tab name hidden from the user. I went into Tools-Options-View and unchecke Sheet Tabs. Then I protected the workbook and the sheet yet the use can still go into Tools-Options-View and re-check the Sheet Tabs t view them again. How do I lock the user out of viewing the sheet tabs? :confused -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could use the "very hidden" property that prevents users from viewing hidden worksheets without using VBA: Dim ws2 As Worksheet For Each ws2 In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets If w...

VLookup in VBA giving error message

Exchange Connector Wizard error

Physical Inventory Count Service Provider
Would someone be able to recommend a service provider that would be able to come in an apparel retail store and do a physical inventory count? we've tried newestech handhelds, but we just dont have the right staff to do it. TIA -- Eddie B No suggestions? We are in Southern California. -- Eddie B "Eddie B" wrote: > Would someone be able to recommend a service provider that would be able to > come in an apparel retail store and do a physical inventory count? we've > tried newestech handhelds, but we just dont have the right staff to do it. > > TIA ...

Vb.net 2008 ContextMenuStrip logical error when running code
Greetings, I have a connectmenustrip item that when clicked runs the following code (see below) Now if the event is called by the button i.e. cmdDeleteingBooking.Click the linq query returns the appropriate value. However when called by cntMnuCancelBookingItem.Click is returns 0 even if a checkbox is of 'TRUE' value. Debugging shows the code runs exactly the same code (which loops around rows in a datagridview checking if the checkbox has been checked). Could someone explain the reasoning why the same code would return different results? Private Sub cmdDelete...

Metadata Cache Error 04-14-04
When trying to "Go Offline" after synchronization completes I receive the: "Metadata Cache Error" No Entity Anyone experience/solve this issue? Hi, You may have replication setup issue on your SQL server, I suggest you to go through this article : http://mbs.microsoft.com/TechKnowledge/techknowledge.asp?print=true&id=33588&code=7842 If this is OK, you may test the following manipulation : Open SQL Enterprise Manager; go to Start select All Programs and then Microsoft SQL Server. Expand Microsoft SQL Servers, expand SQL Server Group, expand your Microsoft CR...

js error in ie8
Hi, i am opening a popup window in ie8, the popup is load with loaded with one url and some javascript classes are intialized and able to call the member functions are from page and then i am re-directing the page the another url and the js classes are reinitialized. when i try to call the member function of the js class in the re-directed page, ie8 throws js error as "Unexpected call to method or property access". When debug the code, i found that the class is properly initialized and able to access the member variables of the class. i am getting problem only ...

too many "inherited" custome headers and footers
It seems that somehow I have "inherited" custom headers and footers from someone else's workbook. They have filled up almost all the allocated spaces in the drop-down selection list and pre-empt me from adding more than two custom headers/footers of my own. I need to add at least four new custom headers to the list. Is there some way to delete all the "inherited" custom headers and footers? Thanks, JR ...

Label Error with image?
Hi, We are trying to print a label for jewelry, the only issue we seem to have is that when an image is put into the label designer the image is the right dimensions but instead of being an image it is a box with red lines cris-crossing with the word 'ERROR' displayed in the center. This all happens before printing, although when we try to print there is no image. So what is it that we are doing wrong to not have an image displayed in the Label designer of RMS PO Manager. Any help[ would be greatly appreciated! Thanks ___________________ Dave Dave, In Label Designer, you have ...

Frx Susbcript 9 error
I am running a consolidated Income Statement in FRx and I get an Error 9 when it hits this one company. It consolidates 5 different companies, one that is translated. I just can;t figure it out. I have a very similar Balance Sheet that runs just fine. I have tried everything, change the output names, etc. I can run the report if I just select that one company but when I run the total company it won't run, it stops with the error. I am using row linking and currency translation. I can run the report for all companies individually. I just don't get it. I have gone through the various kb...

error on install to pocket pc
"window\mny2day.dll" is in use or is in ROM. IFthe file is not in ROM, please close the application using the file. I do not understand what file could be using the same application or how to check the ROM. ...

IIS Admin Service Stops Repeatedly
Hi! I am having the same symtoms that are described in knowledge base article http://support.microsoft.com/?id=885264. The IIS admin and SMP services crashes repeatedly (6 times since last server restart 3 Hours Ago), after IIS crash I receive an instant phone call from my external OWA users!!! I am running Exchange Server 2003 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 R2 and that KB Hotfix does not apply to my OS version. I need help with this PLEASE!!!! The IIS Services simply goes down and theres no clue for me to start troubleshooting. The Exchange Server has been running for 3 months without an...

Sql Agent Error
After installing CRM we are receiving the following error. "An error occurred when attempting to set the SQLSERVERAGENT service to AutoStart: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The specified service does not exist as an installed service at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Utility.ServiceUtility.SetServiceToAutoStart(String serviceName, String machineName) at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ServiceRunningValidator.AutoStartLocalService(String serviceName, TimeSpan waitTimeForStart) We have CRM on a SBS 2003 machine and SQL EE 2000 on a W2K3 machine. Both are DCs the SBS holds all FS...

Interesting Solver problem (Solver encounters an error)
Here's an interesting problem, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts o this. Recognize that my real problem is very complex (severa intermediate calculation including some iterative steps), but th problem I'm having seems similar (conceptually anyway) to this simpl problem. Given a data set: x,y 10,3.9 8,3.2 7,2.8 6,2.2 5,1.4 4.5,0.8 4,0.01 3.8,-0.4 3.6,-1 3.5,-1.4 3.4,-1.8 3.3,-2.4 3.2,-3.2 3.1,-4.6 3.05,-6 One could look at the data and say, "that looks like the curve y=ln(x) but with a different asymptote other than the y-axis and possibly scaling factor." So we choos...

IM error ADO field is nothing
I am trying to do an import for manual payroll checks. I have used the same set up as is used in the sample but I recieve the above error. It also says 0 integrations failed. I can't find anything in knowledgebase. Thanks for any help. Tracey D Open IM, select your integration, double-click on Mappings. Click on the Transactions collection, then click on the Options tab. You will want to make sure the Record Source option rule is set to Use Source Recordset and that the Source is set to your source query. If the above is defined properly, then you will want to make sure you a...

How many pages can a booklet have?
Hi how many pages can a booklet have? Is there a limit to the pages in a publisher booklet. Each page has three photos. There is no limit, your RAM may decide for you. What version Publisher? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Verystumped" <Verystumped@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F2778CF-7B14-4BDD-93C5-EF9B39E2C1A7@microsoft.com... > Hi how many pages can a booklet have? Is there a limit to the pages in a > publisher booklet. Each page has three photos. ...

Select All Names
We have a form with a combo box and that combo box executes a query to find all of the records matching the user's name. The query derives that value from a form based parameter called vName. This is how the process works. 1. The user starts by selecting their name via a drop down list combo box on a dialog form. 2. That selection becomes the value of vName. 3. The user clicks OK and then moves to the data entry form. 4. On the data entry form, the user then clicks on another combo box which runs the aforementined query, which in turn uses the value of the variable vName to find ...

trial & error
How do I calculate the z factor automatically by trial & error EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com You keep asking about the z factor. What's the z factor? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ <khalid khalid> wrote in message news:200782610734gawarh@hotmail.com... > How do I calculate the z factor automatically by trial & error > > EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice > http://www.eggheadcafe.com ...