Too many Names in Directory Service Error

Hi,

Exchange 2003.  When setting up an Outlook 2003 client for a new user , and
performing the "Check name" operation to verify the server and alias, I
receive an error "too many names have been found in the directory service or
the server has reached its time limit fo searching".   And consequently can't
setup Outlook.   OWA works fine for this new user.

There are around 30 existing users - which have been setup over the last
year or so - without any problems.   I have tried setting up an Outlook 2003
profile for a different (existing user) on this machine, and also for this
new user and an existing user on a different client PC, and I get the same
error.  So it seems something in Exchange or AD is broken.

There are no other symptoms (users all logging on OK, email flow fine - it
just seems to be the "check name" that doesn;t work).

Firstly any ideas what may be causing this? I can find nothing on Technet or
Google - there are no event logs updated on the server or client at the time
of the error. DNS etc seems to be fine.

Secondly - Is there a "hack" for configuring the Outlook profile manually
(which does not perform a verification)  that may allow me to get the Outlook
profile for a new user configured (they are currently having to use OWA),
until I find out what is causing this.

BTW this is Exchange 2003 on SBS - although presumably this should have no
bearing.

Regards,

Fred

Sounds like something is broken.  All I can think of is to log a call with
PSS.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"fred" <jacma70@123.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Exchange 2003.  When setting up an Outlook 2003 client for a new user ,
> and
> performing the "Check name" operation to verify the server and alias, I
> receive an error "too many names have been found in the directory service
> or
> the server has reached its time limit fo searching".   And consequently
> can't
> setup Outlook.   OWA works fine for this new user.
>
> There are around 30 existing users - which have been setup over the last
> year or so - without any problems.   I have tried setting up an Outlook
> 2003
> profile for a different (existing user) on this machine, and also for this
> new user and an existing user on a different client PC, and I get the same
> error.  So it seems something in Exchange or AD is broken.
>
> There are no other symptoms (users all logging on OK, email flow fine - it
> just seems to be the "check name" that doesn;t work).
>
> Firstly any ideas what may be causing this? I can find nothing on Technet
> or
> Google - there are no event logs updated on the server or client at the
> time
> of the error. DNS etc seems to be fine.
>
> Secondly - Is there a "hack" for configuring the Outlook profile manually
> (which does not perform a verification)  that may allow me to get the
> Outlook
> profile for a new user configured (they are currently having to use OWA),
> until I find out what is causing this.
>
> BTW this is Exchange 2003 on SBS - although presumably this should have no
> bearing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Fred

0
curspice6401 (3487)
9/21/2005 4:18:32 PM
Hi Fred,

Thanks for posting.

I noticed that you have submitted a similar post  in smallbizserver news
group. If it is an identical issue, to avoid duplicating the steps and in
efforts to track our troubleshooting process, I suggest you continue to
reply to that post but I will work on this issue with Bill together. It is
our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Have a good day!

Thanks & Regards,

Wen Sun
Microsoft Online Partner Support
MCP, MCP+I, MCSE,

wensun (38)

Synch Error 0X8004010F OAB
Exchange 2003 w/Outlook 2003 - I have reviewed lot's of posts on the OAB Error but I don't see anyone being able to resolve it. I have been dealing with this issue for 3 months now. I have worked through each of the three Tech Notes I can find and no luck - zero. Has anyone been able to resolve this issue? Is this a bug in Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2003? I would really love to find someone - anyone - who has been able to resolve their issue on this one. Also, has anyone been the Microsoft Product Support Services route on this yet? This is what my users see every day fo...

On-line services set up failed with "new & improved" Money update
Money 2005 Premium: with the mid-August unannounced update by Microsoft, I lost my ability to go on-line. I reviewed the instructions inside Money and tried to re-set the on-line service but I'm now in a loop that doesn't seem to have any way to back out of it or to move forward successfully. Instead of disabling the account first, which is listed in the long, weary icon version of the update instructions, I went to set up online services and now have the message "complete setup for online services" which apparently will not work because I consistently get a message ...

active form name
Hello!! What function returns active form name? Thanks!! Cesar There is no function to return the current field, window or form name. You can track the specific windows you are interested in using PRE triggers to set a global variable with the name or id or the current window. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer MBS Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Business Solutions http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions polic...

where do office 2000 (including excel of course) service packs go
where do office 2000 (including excel of course) service packs go. I don't know why they don't give you the option of downloading and saving them before installing the various program updates and service packs. This way whenever I do a fresh reformat of my computer, i need to spend hours getting all the updates again off of the internet, where as if I could save thme, I would just have to re-install. Any help would be appreciated Don't know about Office 2000......never used it, but Office Download center offers you the choice of installing or saving to install file to disk....

error message
Extended MAPI 1.0 for Windows 95 used an uninitialized function pointer. How do I fix this? It used mapi32x.dll ...

Error Message 550 5.7.1
i recive the following message - i use outlook 2002:- our message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: FW: test Sent: 12/15/2003 4:21 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Osama Haiba (osama.h@york-egypt.com.eg) on 12/15/2003 4:21 AM 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for osama.h@york- egypt.com.eg Set your incoming server to authenticate using your outgoing server credentials. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual ...

Run-time error 2465 after database import
I'm trying to tidy up a database by starting with a fresh, blank database (Access 2000) and importing everything from the original database. Here are the steps I've gone through: 1. Started with a blank database. 2. Set all the properties to be the same as the original database. I've set the properties in: - File / Database Properties - Tools / Startup - Tools / Options - Visual Basic Editor - Tools / database Properties - Visual Basic Editor - Tools / Options - Visual Basic Editor - Tools / References 3. Selected File / Get External Data / Import and ...

Field Service V2.0
I know that there probably isn't a lot of solid info avail about feature set for V2.0 but I have seen a number of references to planned addition of some type of Field Service functionality. My question is.... Does anybody have any insight or thoughts as to whether or not the ability to schedule/dispatch techs and the ability to generate invoicing for field service calls will be included? There is something referred to as Service Scheduling in the latest information that I have seen. "SteveT" <drumguy61-google@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1102972818.458191.150090@z14...

Exchange 2003 or Outlook 2003 error
This is only happening with one of our users, and I am trying to figure out if it is with there Outlook 2003 Client or if it is with our Exchange 2003 server. I have read other posts about this however I could not tell if the error was with one or all of the clients. Also they seemed to indicate it was for outside there domain, ours is happening for both outside and inside when a mail is sent to a user on the same server and domain. They have not received the error (to my knowledge) from OWA. Error: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject...

error when opening .accdb file
I don't think this is a new issue but I can't seem to find the resolution... I get an error when opening my Access 2007 formatted database stating that the file could not be found, though at the same time the file opens successfully. -- Error is intermittent. On occasions where the error does not occur, the file opens normally (I have never had an occasion where the file did not open at all) -- I have only seen the error happen when I have a 'Display Form' set in the Application Options for the 'Current Database' -- The database contains macros, VBA m...

Message "An error has occured" when click Activity
Hi All, After creating a new case, when i try to create a new email activity, message "An error has occured. Please contact your system administrator". Has anybody encounter this issue before? Previously it was working fine, after we import the customization. I have problem to create new email activity. Thanks. -- Regards, Venedict what does the Event Viewer say? "Venedict" wrote: > Hi All, > > After creating a new case, when i try to create a new email activity, > message "An error has occured. Please contact your system administrator". &g...

Exchange VSS Writer Error
Hi, Our Exchange Server ( running on Win2003, Exch2003-SP1 ) is having backup issues since the active backup job was interrupted by a network failure. Network switch's power was interrupted during an active backup job. After the incident, I am having error when I try to start the exchange backup. I am using Veritas Backup veritas 10 to do the backup job. I have tried to use the windows native backup but is facing the similar problem also. The following is the event details when i try to activate a backup job Event Type: Information Event Source: NTBackup Event Category: None ...

User Display name
I have a minor issue I cannot figure out. One of my CRM users display's as FirstName, LastName the rest as Lastname,FirstName. How do I get them all to display correctly? Thanks in the organization settings of CRM you can set the full name format. unfortunately when you change this is does not update existing records...only newly created ones. "MattB" <MattB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ECC6A9CF-6E69-478E-8D41-F4A1C0EEACAF@microsoft.com... >I have a minor issue I cannot figure out. > One of my CRM users display's as FirstName, LastName ...

Change default view of Activies to Service Activities.
When clicking on any "Activities" tab, CRM shows list of activities of the object, and it's the view: "Open Activity Associated View". Can we customize so that the view "Open Service Activity Associated" will be shown instead? Only show the Service Activities. Hi, Here is something for your interest. Thanks to Michael. http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=JS11 -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No button if this post is helpful or not for our feedback. uMar Khan :: CRM Freelance Consultant Email :: imumar at gmail dot com Blog :: http://umarkhan.word...

Create Folders in Directory with Excel VBA?
Hi, Is there a way to create folders with a specfic names, and have them saved in a directory. I have an excel file with 250 records with my desired folder names. I want to avoid having to through the process of selecting <File | New | Folder> then naming the folder -- 250 times! I imagine there's an easier way with VBA... please help! Thanks It can be done something like this. Attatch code to a command button on the sheet. Alter code to suit your reqirements. Test on a dummy workbook first until you get it to work the way you want. Please note that there are practical lim...

MSDE Installation Error
During the MSDE 2000 installation portion, afrer you input your password the app looks like it will install but I almost immediately get an error stating: Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine Setup failed to configure the server. Refer to the server error logs and setup error logs for more information. I looked for log files in the server Even Viewer and elsewhere and cannot find anything relevent. This same error happens if I try to download and install MSDE 2000 as a standalone but with the complex password setting in the Command Prompt. There are PC's on the domain that are alr...

How analyze Error Report Contents information?
My MFC application crashed during testing, and the tester sent me a screenshot of the Error Report Contents dialog, which at least shows that it was our good friend the 0xc0000005 error, and gives the address at which the exception occurred. Is there any way to take that address, and look in the MAP file the linker generated, and figure out in which function the problem occurred? I've looked at some of the appcompat.txt files generated on my machine, and they don't seem to contain anything that would help me map address to function. Thanks! Chris There is a very good articl...

error no memory with one workbook
Hi I have a workbook 1 that i have been working on for many years adding new sheet macros etc But lately if i open workbook 1 on its own it is fine but if i try and open another workbook (with or without macros enabled) i get a message box say "Not enough memory" and will not let me open the second workbook, I have tried deleting all the modules and all forms thinking they might be the trouble, but still no joy If i close workbook 1 and open the other workbooks, they open fine and work fine macros etc so this leads me to think that it is workbook 1 that is creating the problem, h...

share workbook error
I am using excel 2007 and am trying to share a workbook. review/share workbook Then I get the message that the file is no longer shared. How can I share the workbook? ...

Word X gives no place to put name of doc
Hi, We are working on a new installation (not an upgrade) of OS X on a G4 with 512M memory. We then installed Office v.X and then copied the old OS 9.6, Word 98 documents to the drive. With Word we can open and save any existing document. The icons on some of the files are grayed out, but after we open them and save them with Word X they are fine. But when we create a new document, then go to save it, there is no place to put the name of the new file. We can browse out to any location, but there is no place to label the document with a name. This happens when using the "Save&quo...

Defining same name for cells in different sheets
Does anyone know the answer to this one? I want to give the same range name to the same cell reference in a series of worksheets. I find I can do this by pre-defining all my range names on a "master" worksheet and making several copies of the sheet (try it, it works!) But let's say I have done this, and entered all my data on the sheets I have created, and suddenly realize I need another range name. I haven't found any way to define a new range name and apply it to the same range on several sheets. This is not the same as a 3-D reference, which I tried. (3- d referenci...

Bad File Name
I'm getting the Error #52, Bad File Name or Number. FileCopy "C:\PROSERV\DB\Restore.mdb", "C:\PROSERV\BU\Format(Date,""yyyymmdd"") & "".mdb" The file defintely exisits. Could it be the format part thats not right. Thanks DS DS wrote: >I'm getting the Error #52, Bad File Name or Number. > >FileCopy "C:\PROSERV\DB\Restore.mdb", >"C:\PROSERV\BU\Format(Date,""yyyymmdd"") & "".mdb" Hard to tell without knowing what file name you are looking for. Is this the same ...

GP ver 10 SP 2
Hi Folks I am testing in the Fabrikam company and I have been able to duplicate an error that is happening at my client in their live data. I capture a PO for stock code 100XLG for a qty of 2 at an extended cost of ..25c. The system displays the .25c as the extended cost but it displays ..26c as the 'Remaining PO Subtotal' value. The PO on 'blank' form also prints up a total of .26c. It's fine if I use an extended cost of .24c or .26c and I understand that as the maths division works out fine. Does anyone have a solution to this problem please? Thankx in advan...

Staff directory with pictures based on Address Book?
Hi, and excuse my cross posting here, I have been asked to look into a staff directory with pictures based on the internal address list. Staff details such as phone number, position etc are all stored in Exchange but do not have pictures. Any solutions out there or should I be considering writing a web app using WebDav, LDAP or ADSI and Exchange? tia W - Written web-app for this in the past, employeeID/eid attribute populated with employee ID, names of JPG files based on employeeID make it easier to pick up the correct picture from a file share based on the AD attribute - You can l...

Missing CRM Key error
I have installed Microsoft CRM 1.2 and it seems to be working fine. I tried to create an email within the browser version (not via outlook) and get an error message that says: Communications error: Missing Microsoft CRM key. Any idea what I may have done wrong on the install? Dean. You problably missed to fill in the text "CrmEmailEnable" in the active directory user spec's. See also the IG. Erik. >-----Original Message----- >I have installed Microsoft CRM 1.2 and it seems to be >working fine. I tried to create an email within the >browser version (not v...