Too large to send, yet the file gets saved.

I noticed that a user's mailbox grew from 100KB to 400KB in a few days. This
got my attention.

I pokjed around and found that he had tried to zip a really big file and
send it to his AOL account. (we won't talk about what was in that single
file that would not compress al that well :-) )

The file was 161MB (obviously this is larger than global message delivery
default) and it was in both his sent items and found in the bounce-back
message from the system administrator:

This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's
mailbox is full. Create a shorter message body or remove attachments and try
sending it again.
  <exchangesvr.domain.pri #5.2.3>

I really don't want to waste storage on people's stupid attempts. Is there a
way around oversize messages being stored in the first place?

That's an old question, particulary relevant when you have slow links.
So far, Microsoft has not been able to provide an answer to this issue.
So I guess there's nothing you can do.

--
Blog "subject: exchange"
http://spaces.msn.com/members/ehlo/

"Stephen M" <smeier-spamless@primelink1.net> wrote in message
>I noticed that a user's mailbox grew from 100KB to 400KB in a few days.
>This
> got my attention.
>
> I pokjed around and found that he had tried to zip a really big file and
> send it to his AOL account. (we won't talk about what was in that single
> file that would not compress al that well :-) )
>
> The file was 161MB (obviously this is larger than global message delivery
> default) and it was in both his sent items and found in the bounce-back
> message from the system administrator:
>
> This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's
> mailbox is full. Create a shorter message body or remove attachments and
> try
> sending it again.
>  <exchangesvr.domain.pri #5.2.3>
>
> I really don't want to waste storage on people's stupid attempts. Is there
> way around oversize messages being stored in the first place?

0
Rui
2/3/2005 9:18:12 PM
Thanks.  I appreciate the definitive resolution even if it's somewhat bad
news.

-Steve
"Rui J.M. Silva" <rjms(nospam4me)@oninet.pt> wrote in message
> That's an old question, particulary relevant when you have slow links.
> So far, Microsoft has not been able to provide an answer to this issue.
> So I guess there's nothing you can do.
>
> --
> Blog "subject: exchange"
> http://spaces.msn.com/members/ehlo/
>

> "Stephen M" <smeier-spamless@primelink1.net> wrote in message
> >I noticed that a user's mailbox grew from 100KB to 400KB in a few days.
> >This
> > got my attention.
> >
> > I pokjed around and found that he had tried to zip a really big file and
> > send it to his AOL account. (we won't talk about what was in that single
> > file that would not compress al that well :-) )
> >
> > The file was 161MB (obviously this is larger than global message
delivery
> > default) and it was in both his sent items and found in the bounce-back
> > message from the system administrator:
> >
> > This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's
> > mailbox is full. Create a shorter message body or remove attachments and
> > try
> > sending it again.
> >  <exchangesvr.domain.pri #5.2.3>
> >
> > I really don't want to waste storage on people's stupid attempts. Is
there
> > way around oversize messages being stored in the first place?

Actually, if you have Exchange 2003 SP1, or Exchange 2000 + most recent
rollups, your users will get a pop-up dialog from their Outlook clients that
stops them from sending this mail. So it never ends up in sent items or as
an NDR in their inbox.

Hope that helps.

> Thanks.  I appreciate the definitive resolution even if it's somewhat bad
> news.
>
> -Steve
> "Rui J.M. Silva" <rjms(nospam4me)@oninet.pt> wrote in message
>> That's an old question, particulary relevant when you have slow links.
>> So far, Microsoft has not been able to provide an answer to this issue.
>> So I guess there's nothing you can do.
>>
>> --
>> Blog "subject: exchange"
>> http://spaces.msn.com/members/ehlo/
>>

>> "Stephen M" <smeier-spamless@primelink1.net> wrote in message
>> >I noticed that a user's mailbox grew from 100KB to 400KB in a few days.
>> >This
>> > got my attention.
>> >
>> > I pokjed around and found that he had tried to zip a really big file
>> > and
>> > send it to his AOL account. (we won't talk about what was in that
>> > single
>> > file that would not compress al that well :-) )
>> >
>> > The file was 161MB (obviously this is larger than global message
> delivery
>> > default) and it was in both his sent items and found in the bounce-back
>> > message from the system administrator:
>> >
>> > This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's
>> > mailbox is full. Create a shorter message body or remove attachments
>> > and
>> > try
>> > sending it again.
>> >  <exchangesvr.domain.pri #5.2.3>
>> >
>> > I really don't want to waste storage on people's stupid attempts. Is
> there
>> > way around oversize messages being stored in the first place?

0
Ade (80)

file will not save
One of my excel files will not save. it seems to work ok, but when i try to save it, i get a "document not saved" message. the file cannot be closed unless i agree not to try to save it. any ideas why i cannot save this file? #1. Are you working off a floppy? If yes, then don't do this. Use windows explorer to copy from floppy to harddrive and work from there (and save there). Then use windows explorer to copy back to floppy. #2. You're saving to a location that you don't have permission to save to. #3. Your diskdrive is out of space??? missionary wrote...

Missing File Day 3 No resolution ?
No. Is this file something that can be sent to me? -----Original Message----- From: "Diane Poremsky" <info@cdolive.com> Sent: 4/12/2004 8:15:04 PM Subject: Re: Missing file still.... did you have different versions or suites of office installed? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "Kyle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

save as html #5
I have been working for years on Excel 97 until a couple of days ago. I manage a web site that I update two times a month with new point standings for my group (www.wctpa.com) . The points are sent to me via e-mail by the group secretary in an excel spreadsheet. I have an html document that I rename and reuse that contains an html instruction to insert a table at a specific location: <!--##table##--> . In Excel 97, I had been able to re-save her spreadsheet as "save as html". This allowed me to insert the spreadsheet contents into my html document, then upload to our we...

eConnect
I am in the process of modifying our eConnect integration to support passing in a back ordered quantity when saving an Order document (not a BackOrder document). The original transaction only passed in QUANTITY. My first attempt was to just add QTYTBAOR to the existing transaction. My second attempt was to add TOTALQTY as the sum of QUANTITY and QTYTBAOR. In all cases I did not get any errors but the QTYTBAOR field in the database was not updated. I don't think it is a configuration issue because it is possible to set backorder quantities using Great Plains. Does anybody know ...

How do I get a filter to "UPDATE" the rows selected?
Hey there! I am using Excel 2002 and I have a speadsheet that has prices in it. If I have the filter set to (the filter criteria is much more complex than this though) prices for items that cost >$5.00. Of I change an item to 4.59, it should not be seen. How can I get it to re-update the rows shown, with out releaseing the filter and resetting it? Is there something like refresh.filter or anything like that? Thanks Phil AFAIK you must release and reset but a macro with a worksheet_change event could trigger this for you so that it would happen automatically. -- Don Guillett SalesAid...

Legend Changes After Save
I am working in Excel 2007. When I delete certain Series from the legend, save and close the file, the next time I open it the deleted series are back. How can I stop it from defaulting back? Thanks! PD, I can't duplicate this problem, why don't you send me a copy of the file before you delete the item from the legend and tell me exactly what you do, so I can duplicate it. -- Cheers, Shane Devenshire shanedevenshire@sbcglobal.net Microsoft Excel MVP "WolfgangPD" wrote: > I am working in Excel 2007. When I delete certain Series from the legend, > save and...

Outlook 2007: "Cannot save free/busy information"
Hi, all I have been getting the error message "Cannot save free/busy information" from Outlook frequently these days. It started when we changed our configuration from connecting to an Exchange server on the LAN to using a proxy Exchange server that forwards (I imagine) to another Exchange server on a different LAN. I have my profile configured to deliver to a local PST file. It seems that Outlook does successfully update free/busy info on the server sometimes; the error message appears fairly randomly - e.g. sometimes when I delete a meeting request, but not every time. An...

ProbleM: when I restore a mailbox using Exmerge with a pst file, nothing is transferred.
Hi, I am practising Exmerge for a big remote site migration in a couple of weeks. One thing I dont understand is that I can backup one test mailbox fine using Exmerge (I know this works, as I have opened the mailbox pst file within outlook and everything is there), but when I perform the restore using the pst file, nothing happens. There is no error messages, and Emerge goes through the motions (though it finishes supsiciously quick), but when I open the mailbox, no emails have been restored. Although it is great that Exmerge is working for the backup part of the stage, I am disappointed it i...

Downloads checking account information into my Money 2006 Savings
I purchased and installed Money 2006 today. I have a problem. Everytime I import from my internet checking. It puts it into my Money savings account. Any way I can redirect the imported information into my checking file?-- Grasshopper In microsoft.public.money, New Money 2006 user wrote: >I purchased and installed Money 2006 today. I have a problem. Everytime I >import from my internet checking. It puts it into my Money savings account. >Any way I can redirect the imported information into my checking file? Is the problem you have the one described in http://support.microsoft....

Importing ofx file
I'm using Money 2004 Premium and I was downloading my bank account information in ofx format directly in Money; recently this stopped working and I have to manually import the file into money. Not a big deal, but an annoyance just the same. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a fix for this? tia dennisd In message <QK3kl.3776$rt3.617@newsfe15.iad>, dennis <djd@home.net> writes >I'm using Money 2004 Premium and I was downloading my bank account >information in ofx format directly in Money; recently this stopped working >and I have to manually import the fi...

Microsoft Word
I have created a new Microsoft Word Form and would like to insert at the bottom a simple button or link the user can press when the form has been completed which will automatically insert the completed form into an email(as an attachment) ready to be sent. How can I accomplish this? Thanks in advance. -- KPFDCO3 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ KPFDCO3's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/222188.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/ms-office-support/1338781.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

error when opening .accdb file
I don't think this is a new issue but I can't seem to find the resolution... I get an error when opening my Access 2007 formatted database stating that the file could not be found, though at the same time the file opens successfully. -- Error is intermittent. On occasions where the error does not occur, the file opens normally (I have never had an occasion where the file did not open at all) -- I have only seen the error happen when I have a 'Display Form' set in the Application Options for the 'Current Database' -- The database contains macros, VBA m...

Slow Open/Save over Network Connection
My client has an Apple XServe located in a "co-location" server farm which is providing very fast and reliable network speeds (10 mbps DL, 11 mbps UL). His office location is using AT&T DSL with DL speeds around 3.5 mbps. The directory that sits on the XServe is shared over the internet so my client can access it from multiple locations. Most of the documents are MS Word files. They are using Intel based iMacs with the latest versions of MS Office 2008. The problem my client is facing is the horrible speeds of opening, saving, and closing Office 2008 files. It could take up...

sending web pages
My Outlook (2003)does not allow me to send a webpage or the link to a page as it says it is because it may have a potential virus. How do I resolve this? Thank you Copy/paste the link instead. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: David Davidson <ddavidson@adelphia.net> asked: | My Outlook (2003)does not allow me to send a webpage or | the link to a page as it says it is because it may have a | potential virus. How do I resolve this? Thank you ...

Send Button Disappeared

cannot get BCM to work on Office Enterprise 2007 and Windows 7
I have Windows 7 and Office enterprise 2007 and tried to install BCM 2007 and got it installed then opened Outlook and said it could not setup database. Is BCM 2007 compatible with Enterprise and Windows 7. Is there a work around? ...

Help!! Way to find users sending email to large amount of receipients.
Could some one tell me if there is a way in Exchange 2003 to find out what users are sending email to a large amount of recipients? I'm having some serious performance issues and I'm sure it's some one sending email to a large amount of recipients. Thanks, Will ...

Saving attachments...
I have setup excel and word to open and save files to a network drive:\my documents. But everytime I open a word or excel attachment from outlook and try to save it it goes to the temporary internet folder. I am using Office 2003. When I open a document in word or excel and do a save as it will automatically go to network drive:\my documents. Outlook uses the securetemp folder for attachments opened directly from email. either save it before opening and open the saved copy or use the place bar to select another location. http://www.outlooktips.net/archives/20030828.htm -- Diane...

Default Folder for PST files?
I have a slightly different question relating to the above: I already have my current & archive pst files stored in my own personal folders. When I want to open my archive folder I right-click Outlook Today & select 'Open Outlook Data File'. Everytime, Outlook defaults to its own path (Documents & Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\) This is really annoying & I would like it to default to opening a customised path, such as C:\Mail\ Any suggestions? -- Cheers, James Goodman Hi James, if you want to displace your pst file, please ...

Outlook 2003 Send & Receive Button
I've lost the Send & Receive Button from my toolbar and I can't seem to find a way to get it back. Any ideas? Verify tht you still have account configured int Tools-> E-mail Accounts-> Next If they are still there reset the Standard Toolbar through View-> Toolbars-> Customize -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data -Creating a Permanent New Mail Desktop Alert in Outlook 2003 ----- "Vic Mc" <Vic Mc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E5983862-5F51-4141...

Importing Contract from .csv file is not working
Hi, I m new to CRM. I have two column in my .CSV file. name and phone number i am trying to imort them to CRM contact Module. Everything happen smooth, i mean mapping of fields. But it does not Import the Contact in to CRM , instead the task goes and sits into the Buld Import Activity. And shows the Status as "Pending". I am using CRM Client and all the services are running..... Please let me know what could be the problem.. Labhesh Shrimali Bangalore - India MCP. Hi you have to change the Log on account for the Workflow Service on the CRM Server Regards, Dirk F ...

getting tight vertical fit automatically
Is there a way to get a tight fit vertically, without having to hand-adjust many row heights (some of three lines, some of 1, etc)? If format|row|autofit is too "loose", then I think manually is the way to go. Kevin wrote: > > Is there a way to get a tight fit vertically, without having to > hand-adjust many row heights (some of three lines, some of 1, etc)? -- Dave Peterson ...

Publisher 2003: How Do I "Flow" (rework) a CURRENT [saved] document?
Page Setup/Layout/Booklet/Landscape/Print two pages per sheet. With both Automatic and Manual "Two Sided Printing" the center page (both sides) is--- blank. At the bottom right, of each page in the document, is a "Text in Overflow" Icon. Right click does not present an option to--- flow, condense or correct. Thanks Johann Since you know the terminology, I'm a bit curious why you didn't look up "overflow" in the Help file. The very first link will tell you how to deal with this. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Johann B�cker&qu...

Changing of Cell protections after saving Excel File (2002)
This problem occurs when I protect a document using a macro 4.0 function: =PROTECT.DOCUMENT(TRUE,,,TRUE,TRUE). When I use the function within a macro4.0 macro, on an original file, everything works fine. The sheet has unlocked cells, and when the sheet is protected, it allows me to access those cells. But if I save the file, or save.as another name, then the fun begins. The enable selection of the sheet( view codes) has gone from 0-xlNoRestrictions to -4142- xlNoSelection. This locks me out of doing anything in the sheet. When I unprotect and then re-protect the sheet using the T...

How do I get upgarde for publisher 98 to 2000 ?
I have set up the publisher 98 but I have installed in office 2000 on my pc. My system is run win xp so now microsoft update office 2000 SR-1 ...so what shall I do then . aknz2004 wrote: >I have set up the publisher 98 but I have installed in > office 2000 on my pc. My system is run win xp so now > microsoft update office 2000 SR-1 ...so what shall I do > then . ======================================= If you want Publisher 2000, you'll have to purchase a copy of the program. You cannot upgrade Pub98 to Pub2000...they are two separate programs. -- John Inzer return e-mail...