time est to move 5GB mailbox from 5.5 to 2003

Hello:

I have a user who has a mailbox size of about 5GB on Exchange 5.5 that I 
need to move to Exchange 2003.

What do I need to be concerned about while moving this mailbox?
The total free space on the server is 27.8 GB while the OVERALL total is 
52.8GB.

My question is do I need to worry about moving this almost 5GB mailbox over 
the network? Plan was to do it during down time.
So is there teh risk of data loss? The max mailbox size  that I have moved 
so far here is: 2GB

Thanks for your help.
Anna

0
archibus (14)
4/26/2006 8:33:02 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

14 Replies
590 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 58

I don't think that should present any problems regardless even of the item 
count. It will take a while and you need to make sure that you have plenty 
of room for your log files because they will also grow by that amount.

Nue
"archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:6E50FE1E-42D1-4B24-8D1D-D94309D9A569@microsoft.com...
> Hello:
>
> I have a user who has a mailbox size of about 5GB on Exchange 5.5 that I
> need to move to Exchange 2003.
>
> What do I need to be concerned about while moving this mailbox?
> The total free space on the server is 27.8 GB while the OVERALL total is
> 52.8GB.
>
> My question is do I need to worry about moving this almost 5GB mailbox 
> over
> the network? Plan was to do it during down time.
> So is there teh risk of data loss? The max mailbox size  that I have moved
> so far here is: 2GB
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Anna
> 


0
imaneophyte (3004)
4/26/2006 8:46:43 PM
On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:33:02 -0700, archibus
<archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello:
>
>I have a user who has a mailbox size of about 5GB on Exchange 5.5 that I 
>need to move to Exchange 2003.
>
>What do I need to be concerned about while moving this mailbox?
>The total free space on the server is 27.8 GB while the OVERALL total is 
>52.8GB.
>
>My question is do I need to worry about moving this almost 5GB mailbox over 
>the network? Plan was to do it during down time.
>So is there teh risk of data loss? The max mailbox size  that I have moved 
>so far here is: 2GB
>
>Thanks for your help.
>Anna

It's big and will take quite a few hours, even with powerful hardware.
You shouldn't expect data loss because a failure should just revert
the mailbox live on the old server (it's a copy then delete when
verified)
If it does fail you will have to wait quite a while for the cleanup
process to run and for the new mailbox (that failed) to realise it
failed and to disssapear.
0
mark7219 (5666)
4/26/2006 8:54:21 PM
When u say a while do you mean more than 8-10 hours?
My assumption is that it is about 4GB per hour or am I mistaken?
Also this is an inherited server so the log files reside on the same drive 
as everything else.
How do I move these to a different location?
A

"Nuevo" wrote:

> I don't think that should present any problems regardless even of the item 
> count. It will take a while and you need to make sure that you have plenty 
> of room for your log files because they will also grow by that amount.
> 
> Nue
> "archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:6E50FE1E-42D1-4B24-8D1D-D94309D9A569@microsoft.com...
> > Hello:
> >
> > I have a user who has a mailbox size of about 5GB on Exchange 5.5 that I
> > need to move to Exchange 2003.
> >
> > What do I need to be concerned about while moving this mailbox?
> > The total free space on the server is 27.8 GB while the OVERALL total is
> > 52.8GB.
> >
> > My question is do I need to worry about moving this almost 5GB mailbox 
> > over
> > the network? Plan was to do it during down time.
> > So is there teh risk of data loss? The max mailbox size  that I have moved
> > so far here is: 2GB
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> > Anna
> > 
> 
> 
> 
0
archibus (14)
4/26/2006 8:56:03 PM
If hopefully this does succeed, the user needs to connect to his mailbox via 
OWA since they will NOT be in the office.

Should there be any considerable difference or adjustments that need to be 
done for connection or should he wait until he is in the office?
I need to make sure i have all my facts before attemoting this so that I 
have enough down time allocated. User will not agree to archive.

Also, is my server space size ok to accomodate the log files that will be 
generated?
A

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:33:02 -0700, archibus
> <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> 
> >Hello:
> >
> >I have a user who has a mailbox size of about 5GB on Exchange 5.5 that I 
> >need to move to Exchange 2003.
> >
> >What do I need to be concerned about while moving this mailbox?
> >The total free space on the server is 27.8 GB while the OVERALL total is 
> >52.8GB.
> >
> >My question is do I need to worry about moving this almost 5GB mailbox over 
> >the network? Plan was to do it during down time.
> >So is there teh risk of data loss? The max mailbox size  that I have moved 
> >so far here is: 2GB
> >
> >Thanks for your help.
> >Anna
> 
> It's big and will take quite a few hours, even with powerful hardware.
> You shouldn't expect data loss because a failure should just revert
> the mailbox live on the old server (it's a copy then delete when
> verified)
> If it does fail you will have to wait quite a while for the cleanup
> process to run and for the new mailbox (that failed) to realise it
> failed and to disssapear.
> 
0
archibus (14)
4/26/2006 9:03:02 PM
The total number of items on this users mailbox is 25534.
A

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:33:02 -0700, archibus
> <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> 
> >Hello:
> >
> >I have a user who has a mailbox size of about 5GB on Exchange 5.5 that I 
> >need to move to Exchange 2003.
> >
> >What do I need to be concerned about while moving this mailbox?
> >The total free space on the server is 27.8 GB while the OVERALL total is 
> >52.8GB.
> >
> >My question is do I need to worry about moving this almost 5GB mailbox over 
> >the network? Plan was to do it during down time.
> >So is there teh risk of data loss? The max mailbox size  that I have moved 
> >so far here is: 2GB
> >
> >Thanks for your help.
> >Anna
> 
> It's big and will take quite a few hours, even with powerful hardware.
> You shouldn't expect data loss because a failure should just revert
> the mailbox live on the old server (it's a copy then delete when
> verified)
> If it does fail you will have to wait quite a while for the cleanup
> process to run and for the new mailbox (that failed) to realise it
> failed and to disssapear.
> 
0
archibus (14)
4/26/2006 9:04:02 PM
Server space seems fine and the item count is low so no problem there. The 
actual length of time to migrate will depend to a large extent on network 
connectivity. Connecting via OWA will be an ideal way to logon. The only 
issue with Outlook might offline cache if that is enabled. That will be a 
5Gb sync.

Nue
"archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:E4E2140A-C2F8-43E3-B1DD-D41B83CFD4FC@microsoft.com...
> The total number of items on this users mailbox is 25534.
> A
>
> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:33:02 -0700, archibus
>> <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hello:
>> >
>> >I have a user who has a mailbox size of about 5GB on Exchange 5.5 that I
>> >need to move to Exchange 2003.
>> >
>> >What do I need to be concerned about while moving this mailbox?
>> >The total free space on the server is 27.8 GB while the OVERALL total is
>> >52.8GB.
>> >
>> >My question is do I need to worry about moving this almost 5GB mailbox 
>> >over
>> >the network? Plan was to do it during down time.
>> >So is there teh risk of data loss? The max mailbox size  that I have 
>> >moved
>> >so far here is: 2GB
>> >
>> >Thanks for your help.
>> >Anna
>>
>> It's big and will take quite a few hours, even with powerful hardware.
>> You shouldn't expect data loss because a failure should just revert
>> the mailbox live on the old server (it's a copy then delete when
>> verified)
>> If it does fail you will have to wait quite a while for the cleanup
>> process to run and for the new mailbox (that failed) to realise it
>> failed and to disssapear.
>> 


0
imaneophyte (3004)
4/26/2006 9:21:34 PM
I am not sure what you mean by The only 
> issue with Outlook might offline cache if that is enabled. That will be a 
> 5Gb sync.
how can I confirm that this is enabled and if so disble it?
A

"Nuevo" wrote:

> Server space seems fine and the item count is low so no problem there. The 
> actual length of time to migrate will depend to a large extent on network 
> connectivity. Connecting via OWA will be an ideal way to logon. The only 
> issue with Outlook might offline cache if that is enabled. That will be a 
> 5Gb sync.
> 
> Nue
> "archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:E4E2140A-C2F8-43E3-B1DD-D41B83CFD4FC@microsoft.com...
> > The total number of items on this users mailbox is 25534.
> > A
> >
> > "Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:33:02 -0700, archibus
> >> <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> >Hello:
> >> >
> >> >I have a user who has a mailbox size of about 5GB on Exchange 5.5 that I
> >> >need to move to Exchange 2003.
> >> >
> >> >What do I need to be concerned about while moving this mailbox?
> >> >The total free space on the server is 27.8 GB while the OVERALL total is
> >> >52.8GB.
> >> >
> >> >My question is do I need to worry about moving this almost 5GB mailbox 
> >> >over
> >> >the network? Plan was to do it during down time.
> >> >So is there teh risk of data loss? The max mailbox size  that I have 
> >> >moved
> >> >so far here is: 2GB
> >> >
> >> >Thanks for your help.
> >> >Anna
> >>
> >> It's big and will take quite a few hours, even with powerful hardware.
> >> You shouldn't expect data loss because a failure should just revert
> >> the mailbox live on the old server (it's a copy then delete when
> >> verified)
> >> If it does fail you will have to wait quite a while for the cleanup
> >> process to run and for the new mailbox (that failed) to realise it
> >> failed and to disssapear.
> >> 
> 
> 
> 
0
archibus (14)
4/26/2006 9:29:02 PM
Outlook 2003 introduced cached exchange mode which creates a local copy of 
the mailbox via an OST file. So my point was that if you enable this then 
when the client opens Outlook it will need to sync with the server i.e. 
download 5GB which will slow down Outlook tremendously.

Nue
"archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:2393B4FB-84AB-4242-8EDA-F2A7B94D3363@microsoft.com...
>I am not sure what you mean by The only
>> issue with Outlook might offline cache if that is enabled. That will be a
>> 5Gb sync.
> how can I confirm that this is enabled and if so disble it?
> A
>
> "Nuevo" wrote:
>
>> Server space seems fine and the item count is low so no problem there. 
>> The
>> actual length of time to migrate will depend to a large extent on network
>> connectivity. Connecting via OWA will be an ideal way to logon. The only
>> issue with Outlook might offline cache if that is enabled. That will be a
>> 5Gb sync.
>>
>> Nue
>> "archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:E4E2140A-C2F8-43E3-B1DD-D41B83CFD4FC@microsoft.com...
>> > The total number of items on this users mailbox is 25534.
>> > A
>> >
>> > "Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:
>> >
>> >> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:33:02 -0700, archibus
>> >> <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> >>
>> >> >Hello:
>> >> >
>> >> >I have a user who has a mailbox size of about 5GB on Exchange 5.5 
>> >> >that I
>> >> >need to move to Exchange 2003.
>> >> >
>> >> >What do I need to be concerned about while moving this mailbox?
>> >> >The total free space on the server is 27.8 GB while the OVERALL total 
>> >> >is
>> >> >52.8GB.
>> >> >
>> >> >My question is do I need to worry about moving this almost 5GB 
>> >> >mailbox
>> >> >over
>> >> >the network? Plan was to do it during down time.
>> >> >So is there teh risk of data loss? The max mailbox size  that I have
>> >> >moved
>> >> >so far here is: 2GB
>> >> >
>> >> >Thanks for your help.
>> >> >Anna
>> >>
>> >> It's big and will take quite a few hours, even with powerful hardware.
>> >> You shouldn't expect data loss because a failure should just revert
>> >> the mailbox live on the old server (it's a copy then delete when
>> >> verified)
>> >> If it does fail you will have to wait quite a while for the cleanup
>> >> process to run and for the new mailbox (that failed) to realise it
>> >> failed and to disssapear.
>> >>
>>
>>
>> 


0
imaneophyte (3004)
4/26/2006 10:01:47 PM
But if the user is accessing this via OWA then this should not be the case 
right? OWA is currently still on 5.5.
A

"Nuevo" wrote:

> Outlook 2003 introduced cached exchange mode which creates a local copy of 
> the mailbox via an OST file. So my point was that if you enable this then 
> when the client opens Outlook it will need to sync with the server i.e. 
> download 5GB which will slow down Outlook tremendously.
> 
> Nue
> "archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:2393B4FB-84AB-4242-8EDA-F2A7B94D3363@microsoft.com...
> >I am not sure what you mean by The only
> >> issue with Outlook might offline cache if that is enabled. That will be a
> >> 5Gb sync.
> > how can I confirm that this is enabled and if so disble it?
> > A
> >
> > "Nuevo" wrote:
> >
> >> Server space seems fine and the item count is low so no problem there. 
> >> The
> >> actual length of time to migrate will depend to a large extent on network
> >> connectivity. Connecting via OWA will be an ideal way to logon. The only
> >> issue with Outlook might offline cache if that is enabled. That will be a
> >> 5Gb sync.
> >>
> >> Nue
> >> "archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:E4E2140A-C2F8-43E3-B1DD-D41B83CFD4FC@microsoft.com...
> >> > The total number of items on this users mailbox is 25534.
> >> > A
> >> >
> >> > "Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:33:02 -0700, archibus
> >> >> <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >> >>
> >> >> >Hello:
> >> >> >
> >> >> >I have a user who has a mailbox size of about 5GB on Exchange 5.5 
> >> >> >that I
> >> >> >need to move to Exchange 2003.
> >> >> >
> >> >> >What do I need to be concerned about while moving this mailbox?
> >> >> >The total free space on the server is 27.8 GB while the OVERALL total 
> >> >> >is
> >> >> >52.8GB.
> >> >> >
> >> >> >My question is do I need to worry about moving this almost 5GB 
> >> >> >mailbox
> >> >> >over
> >> >> >the network? Plan was to do it during down time.
> >> >> >So is there teh risk of data loss? The max mailbox size  that I have
> >> >> >moved
> >> >> >so far here is: 2GB
> >> >> >
> >> >> >Thanks for your help.
> >> >> >Anna
> >> >>
> >> >> It's big and will take quite a few hours, even with powerful hardware.
> >> >> You shouldn't expect data loss because a failure should just revert
> >> >> the mailbox live on the old server (it's a copy then delete when
> >> >> verified)
> >> >> If it does fail you will have to wait quite a while for the cleanup
> >> >> process to run and for the new mailbox (that failed) to realise it
> >> >> failed and to disssapear.
> >> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> 
> 
> 
> 
0
archibus (14)
4/27/2006 12:03:02 AM
Exactly right.

Nue
"archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:E780C581-1563-4565-A5F6-34C812484821@microsoft.com...
> But if the user is accessing this via OWA then this should not be the case
> right? OWA is currently still on 5.5.
> A
>
> "Nuevo" wrote:
>
>> Outlook 2003 introduced cached exchange mode which creates a local copy 
>> of
>> the mailbox via an OST file. So my point was that if you enable this then
>> when the client opens Outlook it will need to sync with the server i.e.
>> download 5GB which will slow down Outlook tremendously.
>>
>> Nue
>> "archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:2393B4FB-84AB-4242-8EDA-F2A7B94D3363@microsoft.com...
>> >I am not sure what you mean by The only
>> >> issue with Outlook might offline cache if that is enabled. That will 
>> >> be a
>> >> 5Gb sync.
>> > how can I confirm that this is enabled and if so disble it?
>> > A
>> >
>> > "Nuevo" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Server space seems fine and the item count is low so no problem there.
>> >> The
>> >> actual length of time to migrate will depend to a large extent on 
>> >> network
>> >> connectivity. Connecting via OWA will be an ideal way to logon. The 
>> >> only
>> >> issue with Outlook might offline cache if that is enabled. That will 
>> >> be a
>> >> 5Gb sync.
>> >>
>> >> Nue
>> >> "archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:E4E2140A-C2F8-43E3-B1DD-D41B83CFD4FC@microsoft.com...
>> >> > The total number of items on this users mailbox is 25534.
>> >> > A
>> >> >
>> >> > "Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:
>> >> >
>> >> >> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:33:02 -0700, archibus
>> >> >> <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> >> >>
>> >> >> >Hello:
>> >> >> >
>> >> >> >I have a user who has a mailbox size of about 5GB on Exchange 5.5
>> >> >> >that I
>> >> >> >need to move to Exchange 2003.
>> >> >> >
>> >> >> >What do I need to be concerned about while moving this mailbox?
>> >> >> >The total free space on the server is 27.8 GB while the OVERALL 
>> >> >> >total
>> >> >> >is
>> >> >> >52.8GB.
>> >> >> >
>> >> >> >My question is do I need to worry about moving this almost 5GB
>> >> >> >mailbox
>> >> >> >over
>> >> >> >the network? Plan was to do it during down time.
>> >> >> >So is there teh risk of data loss? The max mailbox size  that I 
>> >> >> >have
>> >> >> >moved
>> >> >> >so far here is: 2GB
>> >> >> >
>> >> >> >Thanks for your help.
>> >> >> >Anna
>> >> >>
>> >> >> It's big and will take quite a few hours, even with powerful 
>> >> >> hardware.
>> >> >> You shouldn't expect data loss because a failure should just revert
>> >> >> the mailbox live on the old server (it's a copy then delete when
>> >> >> verified)
>> >> >> If it does fail you will have to wait quite a while for the cleanup
>> >> >> process to run and for the new mailbox (that failed) to realise it
>> >> >> failed and to disssapear.
>> >> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>>
>> 


0
imaneophyte (3004)
4/27/2006 12:31:55 AM
Thanks a lot.
One more question related to the synching, should I be concerned about this 
after the user tries to access their email after initial access via OWA?
Can this be solved by turning off the cached mode?
Does the cached mode cause a lot of issues after wards if turned off?
Is it a necessary feature?
Thanks
Anna

"Nuevo" wrote:

> Exactly right.
> 
> Nue
> "archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:E780C581-1563-4565-A5F6-34C812484821@microsoft.com...
> > But if the user is accessing this via OWA then this should not be the case
> > right? OWA is currently still on 5.5.
> > A
> >
> > "Nuevo" wrote:
> >
> >> Outlook 2003 introduced cached exchange mode which creates a local copy 
> >> of
> >> the mailbox via an OST file. So my point was that if you enable this then
> >> when the client opens Outlook it will need to sync with the server i.e.
> >> download 5GB which will slow down Outlook tremendously.
> >>
> >> Nue
> >> "archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:2393B4FB-84AB-4242-8EDA-F2A7B94D3363@microsoft.com...
> >> >I am not sure what you mean by The only
> >> >> issue with Outlook might offline cache if that is enabled. That will 
> >> >> be a
> >> >> 5Gb sync.
> >> > how can I confirm that this is enabled and if so disble it?
> >> > A
> >> >
> >> > "Nuevo" wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> Server space seems fine and the item count is low so no problem there.
> >> >> The
> >> >> actual length of time to migrate will depend to a large extent on 
> >> >> network
> >> >> connectivity. Connecting via OWA will be an ideal way to logon. The 
> >> >> only
> >> >> issue with Outlook might offline cache if that is enabled. That will 
> >> >> be a
> >> >> 5Gb sync.
> >> >>
> >> >> Nue
> >> >> "archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> >> news:E4E2140A-C2F8-43E3-B1DD-D41B83CFD4FC@microsoft.com...
> >> >> > The total number of items on this users mailbox is 25534.
> >> >> > A
> >> >> >
> >> >> > "Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:
> >> >> >
> >> >> >> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:33:02 -0700, archibus
> >> >> >> <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >Hello:
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >I have a user who has a mailbox size of about 5GB on Exchange 5.5
> >> >> >> >that I
> >> >> >> >need to move to Exchange 2003.
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >What do I need to be concerned about while moving this mailbox?
> >> >> >> >The total free space on the server is 27.8 GB while the OVERALL 
> >> >> >> >total
> >> >> >> >is
> >> >> >> >52.8GB.
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >My question is do I need to worry about moving this almost 5GB
> >> >> >> >mailbox
> >> >> >> >over
> >> >> >> >the network? Plan was to do it during down time.
> >> >> >> >So is there teh risk of data loss? The max mailbox size  that I 
> >> >> >> >have
> >> >> >> >moved
> >> >> >> >so far here is: 2GB
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >Thanks for your help.
> >> >> >> >Anna
> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> It's big and will take quite a few hours, even with powerful 
> >> >> >> hardware.
> >> >> >> You shouldn't expect data loss because a failure should just revert
> >> >> >> the mailbox live on the old server (it's a copy then delete when
> >> >> >> verified)
> >> >> >> If it does fail you will have to wait quite a while for the cleanup
> >> >> >> process to run and for the new mailbox (that failed) to realise it
> >> >> >> failed and to disssapear.
> >> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> 
> 
> 
> 
0
archibus (14)
4/27/2006 1:17:01 AM
 
Cached Exchange mode is required for Outlook 2003's Junk mail processing.
This should only be a one time performance hit, but with a mailbox that
large, it can be very difficult to find anything.

Mike Ober.

"archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:EF03133E-8FE3-4484-957F-4262645F8EF1@microsoft.com...
> Thanks a lot.
> One more question related to the synching, should I be concerned about
this
> after the user tries to access their email after initial access via OWA?
> Can this be solved by turning off the cached mode?
> Does the cached mode cause a lot of issues after wards if turned off?
> Is it a necessary feature?
> Thanks
> Anna
>
> "Nuevo" wrote:
>
> > Exactly right.
> >
> > Nue
> > "archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:E780C581-1563-4565-A5F6-34C812484821@microsoft.com...
> > > But if the user is accessing this via OWA then this should not be the
case
> > > right? OWA is currently still on 5.5.
> > > A
> > >
> > > "Nuevo" wrote:
> > >
> > >> Outlook 2003 introduced cached exchange mode which creates a local
copy
> > >> of
> > >> the mailbox via an OST file. So my point was that if you enable this
then
> > >> when the client opens Outlook it will need to sync with the server
i.e.
> > >> download 5GB which will slow down Outlook tremendously.
> > >>
> > >> Nue
> > >> "archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >> news:2393B4FB-84AB-4242-8EDA-F2A7B94D3363@microsoft.com...
> > >> >I am not sure what you mean by The only
> > >> >> issue with Outlook might offline cache if that is enabled. That
will
> > >> >> be a
> > >> >> 5Gb sync.
> > >> > how can I confirm that this is enabled and if so disble it?
> > >> > A
> > >> >
> > >> > "Nuevo" wrote:
> > >> >
> > >> >> Server space seems fine and the item count is low so no problem
there.
> > >> >> The
> > >> >> actual length of time to migrate will depend to a large extent on
> > >> >> network
> > >> >> connectivity. Connecting via OWA will be an ideal way to logon.
The
> > >> >> only
> > >> >> issue with Outlook might offline cache if that is enabled. That
will
> > >> >> be a
> > >> >> 5Gb sync.
> > >> >>
> > >> >> Nue
> > >> >> "archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >> >> news:E4E2140A-C2F8-43E3-B1DD-D41B83CFD4FC@microsoft.com...
> > >> >> > The total number of items on this users mailbox is 25534.
> > >> >> > A
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> > "Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> >> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:33:02 -0700, archibus
> > >> >> >> <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > >> >> >>
> > >> >> >> >Hello:
> > >> >> >> >
> > >> >> >> >I have a user who has a mailbox size of about 5GB on Exchange
5.5
> > >> >> >> >that I
> > >> >> >> >need to move to Exchange 2003.
> > >> >> >> >
> > >> >> >> >What do I need to be concerned about while moving this
mailbox?
> > >> >> >> >The total free space on the server is 27.8 GB while the
OVERALL
> > >> >> >> >total
> > >> >> >> >is
> > >> >> >> >52.8GB.
> > >> >> >> >
> > >> >> >> >My question is do I need to worry about moving this almost 5GB
> > >> >> >> >mailbox
> > >> >> >> >over
> > >> >> >> >the network? Plan was to do it during down time.
> > >> >> >> >So is there teh risk of data loss? The max mailbox size  that
I
> > >> >> >> >have
> > >> >> >> >moved
> > >> >> >> >so far here is: 2GB
> > >> >> >> >
> > >> >> >> >Thanks for your help.
> > >> >> >> >Anna
> > >> >> >>
> > >> >> >> It's big and will take quite a few hours, even with powerful
> > >> >> >> hardware.
> > >> >> >> You shouldn't expect data loss because a failure should just
revert
> > >> >> >> the mailbox live on the old server (it's a copy then delete
when
> > >> >> >> verified)
> > >> >> >> If it does fail you will have to wait quite a while for the
cleanup
> > >> >> >> process to run and for the new mailbox (that failed) to realise
it
> > >> >> >> failed and to disssapear.
> > >> >> >>
> > >> >>
> > >> >>
> > >> >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> >
> >
> >
>



0
Michael
4/27/2006 1:24:40 AM
Synching is only an issue with Offline Cache mode and really it is only an 
issue until it is up to date. OWA is not a factor in this at all. Turn off 
cached mode will not cause any problems and while not necessay it can be 
useful. It is your call.

Nue
"archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:EF03133E-8FE3-4484-957F-4262645F8EF1@microsoft.com...
> Thanks a lot.
> One more question related to the synching, should I be concerned about 
> this
> after the user tries to access their email after initial access via OWA?
> Can this be solved by turning off the cached mode?
> Does the cached mode cause a lot of issues after wards if turned off?
> Is it a necessary feature?
> Thanks
> Anna
>
> "Nuevo" wrote:
>
>> Exactly right.
>>
>> Nue
>> "archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:E780C581-1563-4565-A5F6-34C812484821@microsoft.com...
>> > But if the user is accessing this via OWA then this should not be the 
>> > case
>> > right? OWA is currently still on 5.5.
>> > A
>> >
>> > "Nuevo" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Outlook 2003 introduced cached exchange mode which creates a local 
>> >> copy
>> >> of
>> >> the mailbox via an OST file. So my point was that if you enable this 
>> >> then
>> >> when the client opens Outlook it will need to sync with the server 
>> >> i.e.
>> >> download 5GB which will slow down Outlook tremendously.
>> >>
>> >> Nue
>> >> "archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:2393B4FB-84AB-4242-8EDA-F2A7B94D3363@microsoft.com...
>> >> >I am not sure what you mean by The only
>> >> >> issue with Outlook might offline cache if that is enabled. That 
>> >> >> will
>> >> >> be a
>> >> >> 5Gb sync.
>> >> > how can I confirm that this is enabled and if so disble it?
>> >> > A
>> >> >
>> >> > "Nuevo" wrote:
>> >> >
>> >> >> Server space seems fine and the item count is low so no problem 
>> >> >> there.
>> >> >> The
>> >> >> actual length of time to migrate will depend to a large extent on
>> >> >> network
>> >> >> connectivity. Connecting via OWA will be an ideal way to logon. The
>> >> >> only
>> >> >> issue with Outlook might offline cache if that is enabled. That 
>> >> >> will
>> >> >> be a
>> >> >> 5Gb sync.
>> >> >>
>> >> >> Nue
>> >> >> "archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> >> news:E4E2140A-C2F8-43E3-B1DD-D41B83CFD4FC@microsoft.com...
>> >> >> > The total number of items on this users mailbox is 25534.
>> >> >> > A
>> >> >> >
>> >> >> > "Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:
>> >> >> >
>> >> >> >> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:33:02 -0700, archibus
>> >> >> >> <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> >> >> >>
>> >> >> >> >Hello:
>> >> >> >> >
>> >> >> >> >I have a user who has a mailbox size of about 5GB on Exchange 
>> >> >> >> >5.5
>> >> >> >> >that I
>> >> >> >> >need to move to Exchange 2003.
>> >> >> >> >
>> >> >> >> >What do I need to be concerned about while moving this mailbox?
>> >> >> >> >The total free space on the server is 27.8 GB while the OVERALL
>> >> >> >> >total
>> >> >> >> >is
>> >> >> >> >52.8GB.
>> >> >> >> >
>> >> >> >> >My question is do I need to worry about moving this almost 5GB
>> >> >> >> >mailbox
>> >> >> >> >over
>> >> >> >> >the network? Plan was to do it during down time.
>> >> >> >> >So is there teh risk of data loss? The max mailbox size  that I
>> >> >> >> >have
>> >> >> >> >moved
>> >> >> >> >so far here is: 2GB
>> >> >> >> >
>> >> >> >> >Thanks for your help.
>> >> >> >> >Anna
>> >> >> >>
>> >> >> >> It's big and will take quite a few hours, even with powerful
>> >> >> >> hardware.
>> >> >> >> You shouldn't expect data loss because a failure should just 
>> >> >> >> revert
>> >> >> >> the mailbox live on the old server (it's a copy then delete when
>> >> >> >> verified)
>> >> >> >> If it does fail you will have to wait quite a while for the 
>> >> >> >> cleanup
>> >> >> >> process to run and for the new mailbox (that failed) to realise 
>> >> >> >> it
>> >> >> >> failed and to disssapear.
>> >> >> >>
>> >> >>
>> >> >>
>> >> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>>
>> 


0
imaneophyte (3004)
4/27/2006 3:46:06 AM
You can change log location via Storage Group properties and database 
location via DB properties. Placing logs on separate spindle will 
greatly improve performance of all write operations (including moves).

archibus wrote:
> When u say a while do you mean more than 8-10 hours?
> My assumption is that it is about 4GB per hour or am I mistaken?
> Also this is an inherited server so the log files reside on the same drive 
> as everything else.
> How do I move these to a different location?
> A
>
> "Nuevo" wrote:
>
>   
>> I don't think that should present any problems regardless even of the item 
>> count. It will take a while and you need to make sure that you have plenty 
>> of room for your log files because they will also grow by that amount.
>>
>> Nue
>> "archibus" <archibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
>> news:6E50FE1E-42D1-4B24-8D1D-D94309D9A569@microsoft.com...
>>     
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I have a user who has a mailbox size of about 5GB on Exchange 5.5 that I
>>> need to move to Exchange 2003.
>>>
>>> What do I need to be concerned about while moving this mailbox?
>>> The total free space on the server is 27.8 GB while the OVERALL total is
>>> 52.8GB.
>>>
>>> My question is do I need to worry about moving this almost 5GB mailbox 
>>> over
>>> the network? Plan was to do it during down time.
>>> So is there teh risk of data loss? The max mailbox size  that I have moved
>>> so far here is: 2GB
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help.
>>> Anna
>>>
>>>       
-- 

Text from most Windows dialogs can be copied to clipboard with Ctrl-INS.

Free productivity applications suit - www.openoffice.org
Free Internet calling - www.skype.com
Free SQL database Firebird - full support for transaction control, 
triggers, stored procedures, partial SQL-99 compliance
http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&s=1142758270:704186&page=what_is_interbase
0
kpalagin (1838)
5/1/2006 3:15:32 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Exchange 2003 + Out 2K3 with connector Pop 3
I have one server windows 2003 with exchange 2003. I have xx pc with windows Xp pro and Outlook 2003. When i send a mail i choose when account send my mail, if a mail for toto@wanadoo.fr i use a pop account, and if i send a mail for user exchange i choose exchange account. But i have a problem when i send a mail with email address and exchange account, i choose a pop account for send mail, but a exchange account does not receive this mails. And when i have choose a exchange account for send this mail, the mails cannot send whis this account. what solution ?? Thank you GARREC Yann ygar...

Mailbox security concern
We have a roge administrator accessing email accounts using the exchange admin profile. Can you confirm how I obtain the ip address of a client machine logging on or accessing a mailbox. If you enable SMTP logging, the W3C extended format will give you a lot of info. If you have URLScan installed on this Server, the URLScan log will give you a lot of info. The regular IIS Log file will also show you the info you are looking for. How much infor you get out of this will depend a lot on how extensive your logging is. -- Sincerely, D�j� Ak�m�l�f�, MCSE MCSA MCP+I Microsoft MVP - Directory Se...

Move to match cells
A B C D E 1 000801025-8 009601025-3 2007 000801025-8 2007 2 000801026-9 009601026-4 2004 000801026-9 2004 3 000801028-1 009601028-6 2006 000801028-1 2006 4 000801036-8 009601036-3 2008 000801036-8 2008 5 000801044-5 009601044-0 2007 000801044-5 2007 6 000801044-5 009601055-0 2004 000801055-5 2004 7 000801055-5 009601064-8 2001 000801064-3 2001 8 000801055-5 009601091-2 2006 000801091-7 2006 9 000801064-3 009601095-6 2002 000801095-1 2002 10 000801091-7 009601097-8 1998 000801097-3 1998 11 000801091-7 009601098-9 2004 000801098-...

Slow Response time after server move to AD
I've recently moved my Windows 2003 Server running GP 8.0 from a stand alone server on a Novell network to a member server in Active Directory. The response time from client computers has slowed drastically. It also ocurred when the clients were part of Active Directory and the sevrer was still a stand alone (workgroup). Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be slowing the response time of GP, primarily on customer screens. Thanks! Ben DeGennaro ...

Time Calculations Across Midnight
How can I determine elapsed timed when the times cross midnight? I have two columns of times that I need to use to get the elapsed time. It iw easy enough as long as the start and end don't pass midnight - if they do I can't get the right times! Thanks in advance. Try =MOD(A2-A1,1) works for times before midnight as well, A2 hold the end time and A1 the start time -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Sam Thurmond" <thurmond@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message news:09a801c38ae0$a1e2f960$a301280a@phx.gbl... > How can I determine elapsed timed when the times cross > midn...

Should be Easy Time Date Issue
I dont mean to insult anyones intelligence, but I am new to Excel. would like to double click a cell and have the current PC time and dat to enter the cell. Is this possible? Thank you -- RubberSou ----------------------------------------------------------------------- RubberSoul's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1678 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31983 How about... Shift-Ctrl-; (Hold down the Shift key and the Ctrl key, then press the semi-colon key) This enters the time. Then format the cell for Date/Tim...

Can I make Undo remove more than a character at a time?
In Word 2007, after typing new or replacement text, Undo (whether by the button in the Quick Access bar, Ctrl-Z, or Alt-Backspace) always just removes 1 character at a time, which I find too slow for reverting text. Is there a way to change this so Undo removes a word or other larger block at a time instead of a character at a time? That's how it works in the Outlook 2007 e-mail editor and I swear that's how it always worked in previous versions of Word, unless I paused for a long time between each character I typed. Am I right that this is new behavior in Word 2007? ...

Exchange 2003 Content Filtering
Hi All, Is there a way, through Exchng 2003, to block e-mails that contain certain words like "viagra" etc. If so, where abouts do you do it? Any help appreciated TIA Mark Grab the IMF (intelligent message filter). http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b1218d8c-e8b3-48fb-9208-6f75707870c2&DisplayLang=en "Mark Griffiths" <mark.griffiths687@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:EtLIe.20643$Oe4.13040@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net... > Hi All, > Is there a way, through Exchng 2003, to block e-mails that contain > certain words like &quo...

outlook 2003 inbox format
How can I eliminate the "Today", "Yesterday", "Last Week", etc? I much prefer the look of Outlook 2000. Thank you View > Arrange By > Show in groups "Trng Administrator" <Trng Administrator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49639DAB-7738-4951-B6AC-6A35AD2862FD@microsoft.com... > How can I eliminate the "Today", "Yesterday", "Last Week", etc? I much > prefer the look of Outlook 2000. > > Thank you neo [mvp outlook] wrote: > View > Arrange By > Show in groups That...

Question on multiple NICs used by Exchange 2003
I have a requirement to bind four virtual SMTP servers to unique IP addresses. The server has four NICs and each IP address is uniquely bound to a virtual SMTP server. I used telnet to confirm that the appropriate virtual SMTP server responds to each assigned IP address. In case you are wondering why I did not use virtual IP addresses- Per Microsoft, the virtual IP address schema will not satisfy our requirement that the same IP address be used for sending (relaying) the e-mail that received it. Their recommendation was to have a NIC for each virtual SMTP server. The problem that I am ex...

Can't send e-mails from Outlook 2003 after SP1
After installing service pack SP1 for Office 2003, I can't send e-mails anymore. They are stuck in the outbox folder. The error message states that the connection to the server was interrupted. I did not change any settings and checking them confirms that everything is as it should be. Did anyone else experience the same issue and how did you resolve it? Thanks for your help Matthias See if you can manually move those messages from your Outbox and then check all your settings again. "Mattliusa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:cb7401c48a5...

Excel 2003 file freezes laptop
I took a laptop away from the office and tried to open a large spreadsheet on the local C: drive. Each time I tried the laptop froze and had to be rebooted. When I connected back to the LAN at work, and opened the same file on the local C: drive I had no problems. What could cause this? If there is any corruption is there a way to decompile or something as you would in Access? Thanks, Mich ...

Export mailbox Ex5.5 resources to csv programmatically
Hello, Is there a way to export the mailbox resources from Ex 5.5 (information store, not "directory") to a csv using a script or command line tool? I saw a way to do this manually using the save windows settings in the file menu of exchadmin, but i'd like to automate it. thanks martin You want to export mailbox contents to csv? Are you sure? -- Blog "subject: exchange" http://spaces.msn.com/members/ehlo/ "paisher" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07a201c50ec7$9907e780$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Is t...

Problems with reading date/time format from SQL server
Helo! I made a pivot table. I get data from external source - SQL server. On of the columns is date/time type. For some reason unknown to me, Exce doesn't read this dates correctly. Instead of dots between months an days it puts little squares .. ?!? I opened the same file on m coworkers comp. and it works just fine. If anyone has already encountered this and knows how to fix it .. plase reply. thnx j -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com There may be some difficulties getting external data properly into Excel. If not done correctly you cannot use the data in formulae e....

Open 2003 files with 2007
Hello all, I just upgraded my Office 2003 with Office 2007 on an EP Pro machine. The only snaffoo I find(so far..) is with Excel 2007. When I double-click on an Excel 2003 file, Excel 2007 starts up just fine, BUT my file is not displayed. At that point if I click the Restore button up at top-right, the file appears when Excel is restored up or down, then all is well. Anyone have any idea whats up with that and how to fix it??? Thanks John Lots of people have complained that when they doubleclick on a file in windows explorer, that the workbook doesn't seem to show up in xl20...

Move a particular named sheet to the end.
Using macros, how can I move a sheet called TOTAL to become the very last sheet within a workbook? Your assistance will be appreciated. -- Thank U and Regards Ann Try this: Worksheets("Total").Move after:=Worksheets(Worksheets.Count) "Ann" wrote: > Using macros, how can I move a sheet called TOTAL to become the very last > sheet within a workbook? > > Your assistance will be appreciated. > > -- > Thank U and Regards > > Ann > Barb, Works a treat, thank you for your assiatance. -- Thank U and Regards Ann "Barb Reinhar...

Outlook 2003 #217
When my hard disk (W2K) crashed I had saved my .pst file on another partition. When I re-installed Outlook 2003, applied the SP1a patch, and setup me email, etc. I know have 3 choices of contracts to choose from, from the dropdown box. The first 2 give an error, when I type in a name to send an email to, where as the 3rd choice (and they are all named contacts), allows me to see my list of contact email addresses. How can I correct this? I would like to clean this up by just having one Contact choice, whereas the list of my contacts would appear when I choose send mail to option. ...

time formula question
This formula works great if the ending time is before 0:00. =IF(D21>0,B21/INDIRECT("Sheet1!E"&MAX((A21>=$C$9:$C$11)*(A21<=$E$9:$E$11)* {2;3;4})),"") $C$9:$C$11 is my starting time i.e. 20:00 $E$9:$E$11 is my ending time i.e. 04:30 How can I get this to work if A21 = 20:15? TIA, David Try this: =IF(D21>0,B21/INDIRECT("Sheet1!E"&MAX((($C$9:$C$11<$E$9:$E$11)*(A21>=$C$9:$C$11)*(A21<=$E$9:$E$11)+(($C$9:$C$11>=$E$9:$E$11)*((A21>=$C$9:$C$11)+(A21<=$E$9:$E$11)))*{2;3;4})),"") HTH -- AP "David" <dfizer@r...

time line in chart
Hi How do I put a vertical line in a chart in excel at a given point? i.e. timeline Thanks Jon I know this is too elementary, but go from here: You have a scatter chart from A1:B6 (X A1:A6; Y B1:B6) 10 3 11 4 12 5 13 6 14 7 15 8 A 2nd source series is A8:B9 (X A8:A9; Y B8:B9) 13 0 13 6 giving you the a vertical line at X=13. "jon" <jon@nospam.com> wrote: >Hi >How do I put a vertical line in a chart in excel at a given point? i.e. >timeline >Thanks >Jon ----== Posted via Pronews.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.prone...

Linked Table Manager Doesn't Work in Access 2003
I recently upgraded to Access 2003 and have found that the menu option: Tools/Database Utilities/Linked Table Manager no longer works correctly for re-linking my front end database to the backend. No tables show in the table list. If I click “Select All” and then fill in the path to the backend database I get the following error message: Method ‘List’ of object ‘IfieldListWnd’ failed. As a work around I have to delete all the table links from the front-end and then File/Get External Data/Link Tables. Is anybody else having this problem? Thanks in advance for your help. "...

Outlook 2003 #208
While in Outlook 2003, I would like my auto select use my contact list as a default address book. My goal is to use the auto complete (auto suggest) when typing in address's etc. I have the auto select checked in the preferences although nothing comes up or auto fills the name and email etc. Thanks. TEC <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > While in Outlook 2003, I would like my auto select use my > contact list as a default address book. My goal is to use > the auto complete (auto suggest) when typing in > address's etc. I have the auto select c...

Publisher 2003
I'm attempting to print a calendar and I keep getting the message, "Cannot load the printer driver." I have no idea what that means other than I'm unable to print my calendar. Anyone have any ideas? I get the same message whenever I try to print a card I've created. HELP! -- The computer has been chucked out the picture window and the birds are nesting in it. *sigh* Merrie wrote: > I'm attempting to print a calendar and I keep getting the message, > "Cannot load the printer driver." I have no idea what that means > other than I'm una...

Default reminder time on tasks
Does anybody know if there is anyway to change the default reminder on the tasks window when it comes up to remind?? It currently is at 5 minutes and I have some users who'd like that to be a little longer because after they tell each task to remind them in an hour, once the hour is up it defaults back to 5 minutes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Sorry, but the default snooze time value is hard-coded and cannot be changed. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preser...

Active X control in Excel 2003
I have is=nstalled a pen pad on my pc which usies an active x control in Excel to enable me to draw in it. Everytime I start Excel it asks me if I was to run this Active X control. Is there a way of stopping it asking me every time? Thanks Shane Excel 2003, Windows XP home Hi, I think if you lowered your security level, it wouldn't ask, but I wouldn't recommend doing so. It prevents unauthorized and possibly dangerous macros from running and causing damage. I'd put up with the nuisance. jeff >-----Original Message----- >I have is=nstalled a pen pad on my pc which usi...

Outlook 2003 unable to open mails or contacts
After upgrading from Office XP to Office 2003 I am not=20 bale to access any item in Outlook 2003.=20 The Error message which will be displayed if I try to open=20 a message is: Microsoft Office Outlook: Out of memory or system resources. Close sone windows or=20 programs and try again. Microsoft Office 2003 Professional is running on two=20 different operating systems: One is running XP professional,=20 The other is running Windows server 2003 enterprise=20 edition. Always the same result. If I reinstall Outlook from Office=20 XP Professional I am able to read all mails without any=20 fau...