Testing an exchange 2003 setup

We haven't directed mail to the server yet, and would like to test the
server for incoming mail before we switch it over.

We were advised to use these steps:

telnet <exchange server ip> 25
ehlo
rset
mail from:me@outsideemail.com
rcpt to:me@insideemail.com
type message here
press enter twice
..

ok so while doing these steps the "mail from:me@outsideemail.com"
returns You do not have permission to send email to this server.

Anybody know how to fix this??

Thanks,
Howard

0
Opie8565 (12)

Hi,

Your problem is you don't have anonymous access enabled on your SMTP virtual
server - would be great to go into a bit of detail about your new Exchange
Org so I can help you some more. For example do you have a FE/BE setup?

Also on your telnet session there's no point saying ehlo - it's not
necessary unless you want to perform other commands like 8 bit mime
conversion, authentication or TSL.

Test it this way in future, it will also negate the need to use 'rset':

telnet <exchange server ip> 25
helo
mail from: someone@here.com
rcpt to: someone@there.com
data
whatever you want to type
..

The dot on a single line indicates the end of the message and it will then
be queued for delivery.

Anyhow getting back on track, give us some more info on your Exchange
implementation and we'll take it from there!

 Oliver

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
1/11/2007 6:57:01 PM
On 11 Jan 2007 10:45:59 -0800, "Opie8565" <Opie8565@gmail.com> wrote:

>We haven't directed mail to the server yet, and would like to test the
>server for incoming mail before we switch it over.
>
>We were advised to use these steps:
>
>telnet <exchange server ip> 25
>ehlo
>rset

No need for rset

>mail from:me@outsideemail.com
>rcpt to:me@insideemail.com

Enter "data"

>type message here

Which will be in the subject field.

>press enter twice

Carriage return will put the text into the message body

>.

>ok so while doing these steps the "mail from:me@outsideemail.com"
>returns You do not have permission to send email to this server.

Anon authentication is not set on the Exch VS.
Is that really the message you see?
Not "Client does not have permission...." ?

>Anybody know how to fix this??
>
>Thanks,
>Howard

0
adavid (8731)
1/11/2007 7:15:34 PM
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 18:57:01 -0000, "Oliver Moazzezi"
<o.moazzeziNO@SPAMfreenet.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>

>Your problem is you don't have anonymous access enabled on your SMTP virtual
>server - would be great to go into a bit of detail about your new Exchange
>Org so I can help you some more. For example do you have a FE/BE setup?
>
>Also on your telnet session there's no point saying ehlo - it's not
>necessary unless you want to perform other commands like 8 bit mime
>conversion, authentication or TSL.

Its not like its more letters. What if you just want to see if EHLO is
supported or because its the standard way of doing it?

>Test it this way in future, it will also negate the need to use 'rset':
>
>telnet <exchange server ip> 25
>helo
>mail from: someone@here.com
>rcpt to: someone@there.com
>data
>whatever you want to type
>.
>
>The dot on a single line indicates the end of the message and it will then
>be queued for delivery.
>

>Anyhow getting back on track, give us some more info on your Exchange
>implementation and we'll take it from there!
>

> Oliver

0
adavid (8731)
1/11/2007 7:20:40 PM
Ok it was "Client does not ....." that is fixed i set anom auth in the
smtp VS.

What is FE/BE???

We are new to exchange and we are winging it.

Thanks,
Howard

0
Opie8565 (12)
1/11/2007 7:58:03 PM
On 11 Jan 2007 11:58:03 -0800, "Opie8565" <Opie8565@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ok it was "Client does not ....." that is fixed i set anom auth in the
>smtp VS.
>

>What is FE/BE???

Front End/Backend

Does your Exch Server accept mail directly from the internet? If so,
you need the VS for that server to be set to anonymous.

>We are new to exchange and we are winging it.
>
>Thanks,
>Howard
0
adavid (8731)
1/11/2007 8:01:53 PM
Currently our email is forwarded from a smtp server at another
facility(not under our control) our server will accept the mail, and we
have Outlook setup to check the email.

Another issue we are struggling with is, getting the default domain set
for OWA, we have changed the settings in IIS for exchweb and it still
wants the domain\username combination.

I have stop and started the Webpages service. and yet it still ask for
it.

Am i missing something??

Howard

0