Terminal Services and Exchange

Last week I was attempting to create a new public folder tree in Exchange 2000 using terminal services on a remote server. It did not go well and I eventually deleted it until I could spend more time. I tried creating the folder under the existing default public folder tree but could not get the client permissions locked down to the user group this folder was for. I know I tried a combination of MAPI and W2K permissions on the default public folder tree. I eventually deleted this folder and tried to return the default public folder tree to it's original settings. Ever since then, when I terminal service into this remote Exchange server I can no longer see the M: drive. No users have complained, there is nothing in the event logs and my mail seems to be working normally. This weekend I drove to the remote site and logged on locally to the server. I can see the M: drive there. What gives?  Where do I begin to look?
0
anonymous (74722)

Well, the first thing I would stop worrying about is seeing the M: drive...
As long as everything is running OK (primarily OWA), you're better off when
you can't see the M: drive as you won't be tempted to mess things up by
doing anything through it.

Beyond that, can you go into a tiny bit more detail of exactly what you're
trying to set in the pulbic folder permissions and what the exact result or
problem is, prefereably including the full text of any errors you encounter?

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?cmxn?= <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: Terminal Services and Exchange
>Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:26:01 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>
>Last week I was attempting to create a new public folder tree in Exchange
2000 using terminal services on a remote server. It did not go well and I
eventually deleted it until I could spend more time. I tried creating the
folder under the existing default public folder tree but could not get the
client permissions locked down to the user group this folder was for. I
know I tried a combination of MAPI and W2K permissions on the default
public folder tree. I eventually deleted this folder and tried to return
the default public folder tree to it's original settings. Ever since then,
when I terminal service into this remote Exchange server I can no longer
see the M: drive. No users have complained, there is nothing in the event
logs and my mail seems to be working normally. This weekend I drove to the
remote site and logged on locally to the server. I can see the M: drive
there. What gives?  Where do I begin to look?

0
rroddy (682)

HELP: how to turn 1 DCOM service into cluster/replicated services
I have a massive DCOM service written in Visual C++ 6.0 + MFC that manages user logins & their sessions. When the service is running live, how does one upgrade it, without kicking the currently logged in users? Is it possible to replicate the service to implement resiliency & failsafe/faileover mechanisms? Would it have been better to implement a REAL client/server approach for multiple servers for resiliency & failsafe/failover mechanisms? >I have a massive DCOM service written in Visual C++ 6.0 + MFC that manages >user logins & their sessions. When the servic...

Decommissioning Exchange Server #2
Hello, I've recently added a second Exchange 2003 server in our organization to take the place of the first one. I've moved over all mailboxes and public folders and it seems to be running good. Now I would like to take the fist (original) Exchange server out and leave the new one as the only one. Is there a document out there that is recommended for me to follow? Any advise is welcome. Thank you, Russ Sure thing, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822931 -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange MVP 2006 Microsoft Certified Partner "George" <...

change SMTP server name with Windows 2000/Exchange 5.5??
I'm running into an odd situation here, and I'm not sure if it can be fixed. I'm trying to change the name a server sends out in the banner when it makes an SMTP connection. In Windows NT 4.0/Exchange 5.5, I would change the DNS server name from the local server name to mail (or whatever it would need to be). In Windows 2000/Exchange 2000, system manager allows you to configure a FQDN in the SMTP advanced delivery properties. I ran into a setup that is running Windows 2000 (which doesn't have a place to plug in a server name in DNS) and Exchange 5.5 (which doesn't seem ...

Stopping Internet Mail Service from a Dos Prompt
Hi, I am doing an offline backup. I need to know what the command is to start/stop the internet mail service for my batch file. I know the Information Store is NET STOP msexchangeis ... etc. Thanks Vinn Why you are doing offline backup? Why not online? "Vinny" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4BFE80DA-B77E-4C62-9FDB-E5278A1ED56B@microsoft.com... > Hi, I am doing an offline backup. I need to know what the command is to > start/stop the internet mail service for my batch file. I know the > Information Store is NET STOP msexchang...

Exchange 2000 Routing issue
Hi all we are having win2kSBS as our Exchange server and our pop3 server is mail.merittrac.com. Our mail addresses will be in the form of Name@merittrac.com In the default policy of Recipient policies , I have set the SMTP address as @merittrac.com. Now Problem is some of our employees work outside our office. They will check the mails directly from internet by going to mail.merittrac.com . They don't use any exchange server . When we send mails to our employees (who will work outside) from our outlook , they are not recieving ...

Exchange Clients User authentication should only be done by exchan
I am using Exchange 2003 server on Win2003 platform. I have some common exchange email ids for inter department communication. When the users logon to windows they should use only their windows user name which is given them individually. But now they are using the email id user name to logon to windows. This manner is causing a very critical security issue. How to restrict the users to use the email id user name only for the OWA authentication. Shanthi They aren't actually using their e-mail ID to logon. They are using the UPN format (User Principal Name format) of their usernam...

Exchange 2003 SP 2 and SPF
Hi All Does anyone know much about SPF (Sender policy Framework) for Sender ID. I have set this up and been monitoring it in perf mon. I have noticed under Total messages validated with a fail the number is growing. Is there a log I can look at or create to keep a track of these emails. Thanks for your time Tec ...

Exchange starts up, protocol SMTP, IMAP and POP is in stopped stat
Every time I reboot our exchange server 2003, the protocols IMAP4, POP and SMTP is in stopped state. Then I have to start System Manager and manually start the protocols. In services they are set to start automatic! Why is this happening? Any suggestions to where to look for the cause? Speedy ...

isinteg errors in 2003 exchange
I have run a offline defrag then ran isinteg -s server -fix -test alltests 3 to 4 times and still get 8 errors and 4 warnings nothing ever gets fixed what else can i try? Mike On 16 May 2006 23:06:22 -0700, mikeg001@gmail.com wrote: >I have run a offline defrag then ran isinteg -s server -fix -test >alltests 3 to 4 times and still get 8 errors and 4 warnings nothing >ever gets fixed what else can i try? > >Mike Typically you run isinteg until the errors go away. What are they? I have ran the isinteg several times and do not go away. Here is the list from the last run at i...

Using Japanese client with Exchange 2003
We have a user that uses Japanese Windows XP and Japanese version of Outlook 2003. They are unable to use their accounts using OWA or Outlook, but when using English clients it works fine. Is there a plug-in we need to install on the server or the client to make this work? "Shannen" <Shannen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have a user that uses Japanese Windows XP and Japanese version of Outlook >2003. We have more than 800. :) >They are unable to use their accounts using OWA or Outlook, but when >using English clients it works fine. Is there a plug-...

Defrag Exchange Database
Hi to All, I'm planning to defrag the database in other server with a lot of disk space. How can I return the database to the original location is it by copying only. Please provide an steps for this scenario.. Thanks in advance, Emslan http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244525/ tells you which files need to be copied to the other server (assuming it isn't an Exchange server). As far as the procedure, yes it must be returned by copying (and overwriting) the original database. You would need to leave the original database (on the Exchange server) offline while you perform the d...

How Do I set up the Microsoft Exchange Server?
What names would I give to the server and Mailbox? I'm using Outlook 2003 and running it on Windows 2000 SP4 on a single, non-networked computer. Thanks. "DaffyD�" <daffyd@woohoo.com> wrote in message news:#Q3lV#s3JHA.4632@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > What names would I give to the server and Mailbox? I'm using Outlook 2003 > and running it on Windows 2000 SP4 on a single, non-networked computer. > Thanks. > > You don't. You use either POP or IMAP. -- Asking a question? Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about, your OS, ...

Outlook 2000 and exchange 2003
We have many users connected to exchange 2003sp2 with outlook 2000. Is there a place where we can change the send/receive interval in outlook 2000? We can't find it. But mail does come in after about an hour. Users could click on the send and receive button but we would like outlook 2000 to check it for us. Thanks If you're using MAPI, there is no such setting because new mail is alerted through a push mechanism from Exchange. If mail is not getting delivered on a timely basis it's probably because a firewall or router is blocking UDP packets between the Exchange server an...

Exchange 2003 & Sharepoint : Can't apply KB823265
Hello, I'm running Exchange 2000 and WSS on the same box. I'm trying to exclude Exchange directories from sharepoint ISAPI filter (KB823265). The problem is that I can't run the Sharepoint central administration web site ! It ask for an account to connect, and no account is working. If I cancel the dialog box I have an error : 'Server Error in application '/'.' Is there another way to excluse exchange dirctories from the WSS filter ? Using IIS6 Metabase Explorer ? TIA. ...

Cannot remove Exchange 5.5 Server from Site!
Hi everyone - I have an Exchange 5.5 system with 4 NT4.0 SP6a Servers all running 5.5 SP4. I have to remove the first server in the site and have completed the migration of the first server in site roles to one of the new Exchange servers. BUT - now when I shut down the server I am trying to de-commission (as a test to see what happens with it turned off), some of my Outlook 97 users and Outlook 2001 Mac Edition users freeze up. It appears that with the OL97 PC Clients, deleting the profile and re-creating it works OK. HOWEVER, re-building the OL 2001 profiles on the Apple Macs has no effect...

Exchange whit SunONE
How can I Move mailboxes that I Have on Exchange 5.5 and I want to move SunONE Messaging Server? Somebody Can I help me?? Exist some tool? Oscar, This support newsgroup deals with Exchange messaging, for migration to another program from Exchange I would contact the vendor of the new messaging program for any migration information. They will be the best ones to know what data their server accepts. amyma@online.microsoft.com Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and conf...

Exchange 2003 Size Limit on Junk Email list
Users getting the following error: "Unable to add to the server Junk E-mail Lists, you are over the size allowed on the server. The Junk E-mail Filter on the server will be disabled until your Junk E-mail Lists have been reduced to the size allowed on the server." Can I change the size of the list on the server? If so, where is that located? It appears that you have hit the size limit for rules on a folder. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=147298 for more information. I got the following from Microsoft Office Outlook Help: ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++...

Years of Service Accrual
I have created a spreadsheet and I am now stumped on the last formula! This is what I would like the formula to automatically calculate. I would like the formula to recognize the employee's daily status'and calculate based on a yearly percentage how much time was accrued. If a Full Timer's Years Of Service accrual = 7.5 hours/year If a Part Timer's Years Of Service accrual = 3.0 hours/year e.g. If I have worked as a full time employee for 5 months and then as a part time 3 employee for 7 months full time for 5 months= 3.125 hours part time for 7 months=...

Exchange Server #5
I have Windows NT, Outlook 2002 Whevever I go to open Outlook, it says "Your Microsoft Echange Server is unavailable". What does this mean and how can I get rid of it? Do you use exchange server? If not, remove the exchange service from your profile in Control panel, mail. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.sl...

Exchange 2003 OWA Logoff not working
When clients click the logoff icon they are prompted to logon again. Clients are unable to properly log off OWA 2003 using the back button in the same browser session allows clients access to the OWA without typing in a user name or password. Any thoughts on how to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated. ...

Problems with Exchange 2003 Setup <Newbie>
This will actually work out to about 4 questions so please bear with me. I have installed Exchange Server 2003 on Windows 2003 Server. The machine is in domain1. We are hosting multiple domains, all our own: domain2, domain3, domain4... I have been setting up email accounts in Active Directory for several users. For instance I have a user domain1\John Smith and since he is our webmaster I set him up with webmaster@domain1.com, webmaster@domain2.com, etc. And likewise I alias all the sales@ emails to another user. Recently I added info@domain1.com to the sales user but no emails sent actua...

intrastat support for field service
user requires intrastat and advanced intrastat support for sales orders and returns generated by returns management ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=82f764cd...

UPN Suffixes in exchange logon
Hi there, I am using exchange 2003 & windows 2003.I have configured the exchange for multiple domain. I have one querry, there is a satuation when 2 person is having same name same surname only domain is difference. Exp:- for CompanyA : Name:- John Sname: S USER LOGON NAME :johns UPN Suffix : @companyA.com USER LOGON NAME (Pre-Windows 2000) : EXCH(Ad domain) Johns & for CompanyB : Name:- John Sname: S USER LOGON NAME :johns UPN Suffix : @companyB.com USER LOGON NAME (Pre-Windows 2000) : EXCH(A...

Duration of service activity and appointments
I wonder how to get around the limitations of service activities and appointments? I mean there are a lot of businessess and organiizations that needs to schedule longer (daily/ monthly/ annualy) commitments for customers. For example the consulting industry. Does anyone have a solution how to schedule longer assignments/ services? Having the same problem here. Anyone have any suggetions? This is a huge limitation. -Eric "Lotten Holm" wrote: > I wonder how to get around the limitations of service activities and > appointments? I mean there are a lot of businessess an...

Exchange 2003 full administror deleted
Hi, When installing norton ghost corporate edition our domain administrator account was replaced and no longer availeble. That was also the account who has the exchange full administror rights. That account isn't in the AD anymore but still visible as a SID number by Delegate Control in the Exchange System Manager. Because putting back the AD isn't really an option anymore, is there a way to change the full administrator account to another user/group? Login as an Enterprise Admin group member. Create a Security group called Exchange Full Admins. Add the members you want to have ...