System Volume Information folder

Hi

Our Exchange Server 2003 SP2 is running on Windows Server 2003 SP1.   Six
weeks ago, the C drive has about 115GB free space.  Now, it has about 15GB.
This is rather unusual because the server has never consumed so much space
so fast.

I checked on various folders and found that the bulk of space used is in the
System Volume Information folder.  There are 7 files totalling 150GB.  The
filenames are 78{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} to
84{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}.  The first one dated 6/5/10 (which
was 5 days ago).

So, the server is either running pretty low or out of space soon.  How did
this happen ?  And, how can I resolve this ?

Thanks
Steve

0
SP_1

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 13:17:08 -1000, "SP_1" <none@web.com> wrote:

>Our Exchange Server 2003 SP2 is running on Windows Server 2003 SP1.   Six
>weeks ago, the C drive has about 115GB free space.  Now, it has about 15GB.
>This is rather unusual because the server has never consumed so much space
>so fast.
>
>I checked on various folders and found that the bulk of space used is in the
>System Volume Information folder.  There are 7 files totalling 150GB.  The
>filenames are 78{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} to
>84{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}.  The first one dated 6/5/10 (which
>was 5 days ago).
>
>So, the server is either running pretty low or out of space soon.  How did
>this happen ?  And, how can I resolve this ?

That folder holds lots of stuff, none of related to Exchange.

Distributed Link Tracking Service databases for repairing your
shortcuts and linked documents.

Content Indexing Service databases for fast file searches.

Information used by the Volume Snapshot Service (also known as "Volume
Shadow Copy") so you can back up files on a live system.

There's more, but you should really be asking this question in one of
the O/S forums.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich
6/10/2010 1:09:49 AM
Thanks for the info.

I'll check other forums.

Steve

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 13:17:08 -1000, "SP_1" <none@web.com> wrote:
>
>>Our Exchange Server 2003 SP2 is running on Windows Server 2003 SP1.   Six
>>weeks ago, the C drive has about 115GB free space.  Now, it has about
>>15GB.
>>This is rather unusual because the server has never consumed so much space
>>so fast.
>>
>>I checked on various folders and found that the bulk of space used is in
>>the
>>System Volume Information folder.  There are 7 files totalling 150GB.  The
>>filenames are 78{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} to
>>84{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}.  The first one dated 6/5/10
>>(which
>>was 5 days ago).
>>
>>So, the server is either running pretty low or out of space soon.  How did
>>this happen ?  And, how can I resolve this ?
>
> That folder holds lots of stuff, none of related to Exchange.
>
> Distributed Link Tracking Service databases for repairing your
> shortcuts and linked documents.
>
> Content Indexing Service databases for fast file searches.
>
> Information used by the Volume Snapshot Service (also known as "Volume
> Shadow Copy") so you can back up files on a live system.
>
> There's more, but you should really be asking this question in one of
> the O/S forums.
> ---
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

0
SP_1
6/10/2010 2:11:02 AM
Hi again

Strange as it may seem, today the System Volume Information folder is
basically free of the huge GB files.  The C drive now has the 150GB free
space back.

fyi
Steve

"SP_1" <none@web.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the info.
>
> I'll check other forums.
>
> Steve
>

> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 13:17:08 -1000, "SP_1" <none@web.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Our Exchange Server 2003 SP2 is running on Windows Server 2003 SP1.   Six
>>>weeks ago, the C drive has about 115GB free space.  Now, it has about
>>>15GB.
>>>This is rather unusual because the server has never consumed so much
>>>space
>>>so fast.
>>>
>>>I checked on various folders and found that the bulk of space used is in
>>>the
>>>System Volume Information folder.  There are 7 files totalling 150GB.
>>>The
>>>filenames are 78{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} to
>>>84{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}.  The first one dated 6/5/10
>>>(which
>>>was 5 days ago).
>>>
>>>So, the server is either running pretty low or out of space soon.  How
>>>did
>>>this happen ?  And, how can I resolve this ?
>>
>> That folder holds lots of stuff, none of related to Exchange.
>>
>> Distributed Link Tracking Service databases for repairing your
>> shortcuts and linked documents.
>>
>> Content Indexing Service databases for fast file searches.
>>
>> Information used by the Volume Snapshot Service (also known as "Volume
>> Shadow Copy") so you can back up files on a live system.
>>
>> There's more, but you should really be asking this question in one of
>> the O/S forums.
>> ---
>> Rich Matheisen
>> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

0
SP_1

public folders error
Please help When I try to browse the public folders in the system manager i get "connection was refused. please ensure virtual servers are running etc. id: c103b401." They have recently tried to rehome public folders from one server E2k to another and removed the old server. The public folder contents are accessible by MAPI users, which tells me that they have managed to create local replicas on that exchange server, but I suspect they have created replicas for public folders (like shared calendars) and offline address books only. Also they have configured OWA for SSL. What can I ...

how to change permission for public folders?
Hello there! First of all, I must say I'm very grateful for all good things I learned in this newsgroup. Now to my little question: I've installed plain-vanilla Exchange 2003 Server system with Outlook 2002 as clients. I imported users .pst files into their new Exchange-accounts and that works as a charm. But I don't quite understand what to do so that users will be able to share their adress books or contacts (the main reason why they moved from .pst to Exchange). When I mark "public folders" and try to create new item it says that i don't have permission to cre...

How to grant permission to someone to add/remove folder in Outlook
Hi, I was asked how to add someone to a list so that the person would add/remove folder from a public folder list. I was told it had been done in outlook but I cannot find anything resemble to security/permission which allow to me to add either a user name or in a group such as user or administrator to check boxes for permission. Anyone would point me to the direction to start off ? Many thanks Smiley The administrator can set it through ESM or the owner of the folder can do it through Outlook. See; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/permissions.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlo...

Move Public Folders from 5.5 to 5.5 Same Org
Hi All, I'm new the exchange and i need to accomplish the following: 1. Identify which public folders are "homed" on the source server. 2. Move them to another exchange 5.5 server. 3. Properly remove/decommission the source exchange server from the org. Need your expert help on what steps i should take to accomplish this. Thank you. this is good reading, it includes some links that is also good reading before doing anything http://support.microsoft.com/kb/152959/en-us /Lasse "Marcos" <Marcos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:06FA8B72-169D...

Create Folders and Write To Hard Disk Other than C:
My app can generate many gigabytes of data files (several megabytes each) per the user choice. For those who wonder, this happens over many hours and or days. I am making XP and up a requirement for using the app. So, for XP and up how do I do the following: (1)Set permissions on a different hard drive (other than C:) to read, write and delete data files. (a)for this user (b)for all users (common data). (2)Create a folder (assumes this is different than "normal"). I may be totally wrong, but I assume that reading, writing and deleting the file in this fo...

Set public folder as default address list
Is there a way that I can set a public contact folder as the default address list when composing a message on all of my clients? JBeckett [MCSA] <JBeckettMCSA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way that I can set a public contact folder as the default > address list when composing a message on all of my clients? This is an Outlook thing. You can change the Outlook Address Book to display whatever you like as its initial view, in the settings in the address book menu, I believe. You don't want to make Outlook do *lookups* first from the public contacts folder, ...

Help with System Attendant
Hi all: My situation is this. We had a single system running AD/exchange (windows and exchange 2000). Not ideal, I know :) The systems' mft became corrupted, and I spent a long night bringing up a 2nd exchange server. I was able to bring up the old server, move mailboxes, and have everyone up and running before the next biz day. I've since installed an AD controller on another machine, as the original (problem) server could die any day. I found where to set the 2nd server as a global catalog server, and thought I might have been done. That is, until I tried adding new use...

How do I deal with the quarantine folder?
I am new to Outlook. What should I do with mail that Outlook automatically places in the Quarantine folder? This is not done by Outlook. Most likely this is a folder created by your virusscanner. In general only infected e-mails are placed in that folder. Periodically check it and clear its contents most likley will also apply to you. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "KDill" <KDill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Backing up one folder shows space required for whole volume
Hi, We have fileserver cluster of windows server 2008 with sp2. We have installed DPM 2010 agents on both fileserver and DPM detected them as cluster nodes. We tried to set one test job to backup one folder of 5gb from clustered volume. At "Review disk allocation" we got "Total data size: 4,604 GB" which is the size of the whole volume and so we are getting below error in same wizard step. "There is insufficient free space in the storage pool for this protection group." We have 1.9TB space available to SAN connected to DPM server. Do we n...

CRM And Opperating Systems
My company has fully adopted CRM 3.0, we are a manufacturer and equipment sales company. We have customized CRM to meet our needs and are now looking into updating our opperating systems from our current one 'Minitrac' We are looking into GP for Accounting & Manufacturing and a product called Wennsoft for the equipment Management. Conversly we are contemplating Nav for Accounting and Manufacturing and a product called Equipsoft for the equipment Management. Can anyone help point us in the best direction as per your experience with any of these products? Hi Scout, I hav...

Historical Accounts Payable Invoice with no APPLY Information
Hello group, We have a few AP Invoices in HISTORY and it does not have any apply information. Since the document is in History how can we remove this document as it is appearing in the Aged Trial Balance reports. While ago we had ran checklinks to fix a few other issues. How can we make this documents open, so that we can either void them or make payments on these invoices. If this has to be done from SQL, can somebody advise which tables are involved to make these documents open. Thanks in advance, Matt Since they are in history, can you use the Void Historical Document function using A/P...

Controlling "mail box is closed message" from System Administrator
Hi Guys, Is there a way to control the frequency of "Your mailbox is closed message" sent by System Administrator when a mailbox is over its limit in Exchange 5.5? -- Buchi On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 02:39:07 -0800, "Buchi" <Buchi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi Guys, >Is there a way to control the frequency of "Your mailbox is closed message" >sent by System Administrator when a mailbox is over its limit in Exchange >5.5? Site config/Info Store Config/Storage Warnings tab. Andy Thanks, I have since reset my storage warning propert...

Offline Public Folders?
Quick question: Can you make Public Folders available offline as well? Cached Exchange Mode doesn't seem to cache the public folders -- is this even possible? I have Exchange 2003 Single Server and Outlook 2003. Thx. I havent tried this with OL2003, but it works with OL2002. You need to mark the Public Folder as a Favorite then you can make it available offline. "Galvanon" <galvanon@online.nospam> wrote in message news:egucuOgYFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Quick question: > > Can you make Public Folders available offline as well? Cached Exchange...

Mysterious message in Drafts folder.
I found this in my Drafts folder a few days ago: Font used - Times New Roman 12. "Annie, one easy thing to try is to download and run Autoruns from Microsoft or CNET. It is a small standalone utility that is free and needs no installation, but can be run from your downloads folder. Select the Logon tab and see if you can spot something that is hogging your resources. Uncheck any item you can do without - you can always run Autoruns again and re-check the item if you have regrets. When you make changes you will be asked to elevate to administrator from within Autoruns - conse...

Getting hotmail into outlook 2007 mail folders.
I just got hotmail plus. Email goes into outlook but into separate folders created under my hotmail address. How do I get email to go into the regular outlook mail folders automatically? Thanks. "Prince Arthur" wrote in message news:F33A810E-955F-4999-8F16-9EB6807D9D95@microsoft.com... > I just got hotmail plus. Email goes into outlook but into separate > folders > created under my hotmail address. How do I get email to go into the > regular > outlook mail folders automatically? Thanks. Exchange and POP3 accounts get their messages aggregated into the one (de...

Sorting files in a folder
I have a folder with *.jpg files and *.AVI files. I would like to group or sort these files so that all the jpg files are separated from the AVI files. Within those two groups, I would like the second sort criteria to be by the Date Taken or Date Created in ascending order. In XP, you could sort by file type - but, unless MS changed the name, I don't see how to do this. If I can only sort the AVI files in a sort or group - then change to the jpg files (all by date), that's OK. Can anyone help? Right-mouse click on empty spac in that folder, and all options are open for ...

Exchange 5.5 Corrupt Information Store
I have a single exchange 5.5 SP4 running on Windows 2000 with about 50 users. I have a corrupt Priv.edb and no good backup to restore from. All the users mailboxes seem to be intact and I have had no complaints from the end users but I want to get this fixed before it turns into something real bad. Everything I have read says restore from backup, well the backup is corrupt too. So I guess the eseutil is the way to go, but I want to limit my user downtime and possible data loss. Would a good solotion be to build a second exchange server , add it to the site and migrate all the mailboxes and ...

Recommended volume configuration for best Exchange performance
I have a server with a split backplane with 3 disks on the first channel and 5 disks on the second channel - i only intend to have one storage group so one set of transaction logs. I intend to go with the following:- channel 1:- 1 x raid 1 volume for operating system and pagefile 1 x dedicated hotspare channel 2:- 1 x raid 1 volume for exchange transaction logs 1 x raid 1 volume for exchange databases 1 x global hotspare is this the best config? can anyone else suggest a better setup? the only thing i was thinking that could be different is on channel 2:- 1 x raid 0+1 for both exc...

Prevent users from deleting folders
What's the best way to allow my users the ability to Add, Delete, Change rights on a Public Folder but not allow them to delete the folder itself? Exchange 2003 and Windows 2003. Thanks, Rafael Try custom permissions - you'll see what they can do/not do. However, I don't know if it's possible to do what you want, as they could also grant themselves rights to do whatever they wanted. Rafael wrote: > What's the best way to allow my users the ability to Add, Delete, > Change rights on a Public Folder but not allow them to delete the > folder itself? Exchange 200...

Sending mails from Personal Folders
Replying to a mail in a personal folder does not file the mail in the Sent mail folder: If I create a new mail from within personal folders, the sent mail folder gets updated. However, (frustratingly) if I replay to a mail that I've moved into persoanl folders (which I do to keep the online folders down to a manageable size) the sent mail gets saved to the personal folder that I'm in and NOT the sent folder. Is there a way to fix this? Many thanks. chris.baldry@bt.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > If I create a new mail from within personal folders,...

folders to store read emails
Version: 2008 Processor: Intel Email Client: pop I am a new Mac user. I want to keep some of my read emails by creating sub-folders in my inbox. please help On 5/25/10 5:17 PM, in article 59bb8ff6.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "Rosemary_Potter@officeformac.com" <Rosemary_Potter@officeformac.com> wrote: > I want to keep some of my read emails by creating sub-folders in my inbox. > please help Under File in the Menu bar select New Subfolder. Be sure to select the Inbox first. You can also toggle read/unread under View in the Menu bar. -- Diane Ross, Mi...

Entering Paycheck information
Somehow when I installed Money 2004 I lost my financial information from 2003. I would like to re-enter some of the information ie. (Payroll Deductions) without this affecting my current balances. Can this be done and how. Thanks in advance Tom Whalen ...

HYIP-System.com
Investing from as low as $1.00 http://www.HYIP-System.com/?ref=1618643 \Martin ...

$4,000 DST patches from Microsoft for non-mainstream support systems
I presume Exchange 2000 would fall into this category. Perhaps someone with Exchange 2000 could post back with what they find out. http://blogs.technet.com/james/archive/2007/01/24/dst-support-update.aspx "To help customers through this change and in response to their feedback, Microsoft has decided to amend the regular Extended Hotfix Support program to add a new pricing category for extended non-security hotfixes with a wide customer demand. The new pricing category will be applied to the daylight saving time hotfixes (DST 2007). � DST 2007 hotfixes for products in Mainstream S...

Email system failure on a singlel Exchange 2003 server running Windows 2003 standard having message store issues
Have two servers running Exchange 2003. FS2 is PDC AND FS3 runs exchange 2003. We had a power failure and it corrupted the message store. The backup was also no good because of a hardware failure. Using the recovery storage group process, I was able to copy the existing edb, and stm files off the server, create a recovery storage group, move the recovery storage group files into the primary storage group area and get the users emailing again, but I have the corrupted message and streaming files and a bunch of log files. I ran eseutil /p /r and the files seem to be fine. Just to j...