Strong Password Impact on OWA Users

Hello,

We will be implementing strong password policy in our domain per Microsoft's
recommendation for strong passwords.
I know that after we implement strong password policy, users will be
prompted to change their passwords when they log
into the domain.

My question is, what about OWA users who log in from the outside to check
their e-mails?  Will they be prompted to
change their passwords as well?  What exactly will happen to them?

Thanks for any feedback.

Ken

Implement password change feature through OWA and have them make the change
prior to implementation of the policy.

Nue
"Ken Windancer" <kwindancer@excite.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We will be implementing strong password policy in our domain per
> Microsoft's recommendation for strong passwords.
> I know that after we implement strong password policy, users will be
> prompted to change their passwords when they log
> into the domain.
>
> My question is, what about OWA users who log in from the outside to check
> their e-mails?  Will they be prompted to
> change their passwords as well?  What exactly will happen to them?
>
> Thanks for any feedback.
>
> Ken

0
imaneophyte (3004)
3/16/2006 6:20:19 PM
Thanks for your response.
So you're saying that I would have to make strong password policy changes
two times, one at the domain level and one in OWA?  Would that be IIS
change?
Thanks.

Ken
"Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Implement password change feature through OWA and have them make the
> change prior to implementation of the policy.
>
> Nue
> "Ken Windancer" <kwindancer@excite.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> We will be implementing strong password policy in our domain per
>> Microsoft's recommendation for strong passwords.
>> I know that after we implement strong password policy, users will be
>> prompted to change their passwords when they log
>> into the domain.
>>
>> My question is, what about OWA users who log in from the outside to check
>> their e-mails?  Will they be prompted to
>> change their passwords as well?  What exactly will happen to them?
>>
>> Thanks for any feedback.
>>
>> Ken

No I'm saying that enforcing a password change will impact your users and
while the OWA change password feature works fine I would not rely upon it in
this scenario. Have those OWA change their passwords to comply with your
policy prior you implementing this in GP.

> Thanks for your response.
> So you're saying that I would have to make strong password policy changes
> two times, one at the domain level and one in OWA?  Would that be IIS
> change?
> Thanks.
>
> Ken
> "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Implement password change feature through OWA and have them make the
>> change prior to implementation of the policy.
>>
>> Nue
>> "Ken Windancer" <kwindancer@excite.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> We will be implementing strong password policy in our domain per
>>> Microsoft's recommendation for strong passwords.
>>> I know that after we implement strong password policy, users will be
>>> prompted to change their passwords when they log
>>> into the domain.
>>>
>>> My question is, what about OWA users who log in from the outside to
>>> check their e-mails?  Will they be prompted to
>>> change their passwords as well?  What exactly will happen to them?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any feedback.
>>>
>>> Ken

0
imaneophyte (3004)
3/16/2006 6:49:06 PM
I'm not sure I understand.  These OWA users are remote users who do not come
to the office.
They're out in the field or working from home.  And so they cannot log into
the domain.

Are you saying that they should change their passwords to strong passwords
via OWA first and
then implement the password policy domain-wide as the second step?

If I enforce password policy at the domain level, what will happen to the
OWA users who did not change
their passwords when they access their e-mail?  Will they be prompted to
enter their new passwords that
meet the stronger password policy?

> No I'm saying that enforcing a password change will impact your users and
> while the OWA change password feature works fine I would not rely upon it
> in this scenario. Have those OWA change their passwords to comply with
> your policy prior you implementing this in GP.
>
> Nue
> "Ken Windancer" <kwindancer@excite.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for your response.
>> So you're saying that I would have to make strong password policy changes
>> two times, one at the domain level and one in OWA?  Would that be IIS
>> change?
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Ken
>> "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Implement password change feature through OWA and have them make the
>>> change prior to implementation of the policy.
>>>
>>> Nue
>>> "Ken Windancer" <kwindancer@excite.com> wrote in message

New User- print preview cuts off part of my page design
my publication fits the page in design view, but is cut off in print preview...help? -- ch njoynthevu wrote: > my publication fits the page in design view, but is cut > off in print preview...help? ================= This may be reflecting the limitations of your printer. Maybe the following article will offer some ideas: "How to find the maximum print area of your printer" http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/horidiag -- *********Notice********** This is not tech support. ....I am only a volunteer... Solutions that work for me may not work for you. Proceed at yo...

Can't add users in the distributio group
I manage one forest with 2 domains. The exchange is in domain abc.local in forest abc and domain ggg.local is in China in the same forest abc. Users in ggg.local can't be added to the distribution group in abc.local domain. I select the right domain but it can't find Contacts or Other Objects. When I am adding users from abc.local domain, I can see Users, Groups and Other objects. What is wrong here? I ran DOMAINPREP on the ggg.local domain and created RUS in for that domain. Can I create a distribution group in the ggg.local domain? Will it show in outlook? Also, newly created ...

cannot add user into Active Directory via c#.net
My System Have 2 Computer: Frist Computer act as A domain Controller that has a Active Directory,RADIUS Server,DHCP and DNS Second Computer act as A Web Server(join domain with a first computer already) and use Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 I create a website on a second computer to add user in active directory. I have 3 file: 1.Default.aspx - Let user fill their privacy information 2.ViewRegisterdata.aspx - Let user confirm their information before it's added to active directory. In this file,there is a Viewregisterdata.aspx.cs which collect user information...

Reset SO Admin Password is Lost?
v1.3 Is there a way to reset the SO Admin's log on password if it is unknown (i.e. forgotten)? -- Jocelyn Yes, but it's kind of evil, so I'm not going to post the instructions publicly. Drop me a direct email and I'll reply with steps... Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the newsgroup so that all can share the information. jocelynp wrote: > v1.3 > > Is there a way to reset the SO Admin's log on ...

Undeliverable when sending calendar appointments to a user
I have been looking at this problem all day and I think it's a little more than just an outlook - calendar issue so I would appreciate any help on this. Thanx in advance. Everytime someone tries to send a user called Silvana a calendar appointment, they receive an underliverable email from a different user called Chris who has left our organisation about 4 months ago. We have been informed that this was going on for a while and we are suspecting that it began at the same time we deleted the user. The email message reads like: "Your message did not reach some or all of the int...

"You don't have sufficient security privileges to run the user manager wizard" on MS CRM. [THE SOLUTION]
"You don't have sufficient security privileges to run the user manager wizard" Hi, If you have had this error message on MS CRM, try this fix it should work. You need to create a new user in SqlServer NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE with the good privileges on the DB and it should work. It seems that this problem is due to the fact that you are using Windows Authentication whereas this user is not created by default. (and of course this is documented neither in the bloody MS documentation nor anywhere else...) Alexandre MANGUER ..Net Consultant ...

Password won't save
I use Bank of America and am experiencing much frustration trying to get the auto download to work. I have had luck a couple of times but I guess that is a known issue with Yodlee. My question is this. When I go to my Bank of America account setup and try and edit my id and password, it doesn't seem to save. I type in 6 characters in the password box and save, but when I go back into it it has 8 dots, not 6. So when I try and update my accounts it says I don't have the right login info. Any ideas why this might be occuring? Mr. P, You may be confusing the source of your problem...

User no longer in the company
Hi. One of our users has left the company and we would like to have Exchange send an email to all that send emails to this user indicating that he now logner works for us. I ma new to Exchange 55 and can not find where to do this. (if it can be done) Thanks. George. I'd probably just create an out of office reply from the users desktop. if you like, you can logon to the mailbox and set an "Out of Office" reply and leave it in place for awhile... "George D. Lake" <NoSpam@bla.com> wrote in message news:epPEGqtNFHA.1732@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... &g...

Controlling how user posts a blog
Is it possible to control how items are posted on to a blog? The blog owner would like the readers to be able to respond to his posts but he doesn't want readers to create a new thread. thanks in advance ...

How to: Display Mail Enabled users in the Global Address List
Hi all I have just moved to an Exchange 2003 installation from an Exchange 2000 install. Exchange 2000 would allow outlook(2000,xp,2003) to resolve the email address of a mail-enabled user as well as the mailbox enabled user from the global address list. Exchange 2003 only resolves the email address from the Global Address List if the user is mailbox-enabled. How do I enable Exchange 2003 to publish mail-enabled users to the Global Address List. Thanks for your help. Cheers Jock Hi Jock, The "mailNickname" attribute has to be set on a user object for it to be mail-enabl...

share calendar with outside users ??
We have an outside company which is doing some marketing research for us. They want to be able to see our outlook calendar so they can send a scheduling request. Is there a way they can see the calendars of the users, without having access to the domain? They really need to see the calendar, but I am a bit afraid of the security risks. (this is sbs 2003 with exchange 2003 SP2) On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 08:24:51 +0200, "ikke" <ikke@nospam.com> wrote: >We have an outside company which is doing some marketing research for us. >They want to be able to see our outlook calenda...

Password Protect Cells #2
Hello All, I am trying to password protect just a few cells in my worksheet. I did it a year ago and now have forgotten what I did. The end result was that when people went to enter data in those few cells they had to type their password, otherwise they could not edit them. This is different than just the worksheet password protection because I also with a different password in addition to the individual cell protection. Thank you for any help you can offer. You can do this through Tools>Protection>Allow Users to Edit Ranges Supply a range and a password for each user. Gord ...

Percent Format: Allow user to type Percent, not decimal?
Seems like when a field's underlying value is a decimal amount, but the presentation format on a field in a form is "Percent", the user still has to type the decimal equivalent of the percent when editing the field. e.g. CouponRate=.05437 is shown as "5.437%", but when the user clicks into the field to type something, they have to type, for instance, ". 04798" to get 4.798 percent to show. Seems logical from one perspective, but my users don't care for it. I can think of one way to handle this, using event code, but I'm wondering if there is a Good-...

OWA Reply/Forward doesn't work with IE?
I am having a very strange problem. I am using Exchange 2000 OWA with IE and Firefox Clients. When you reply to or forward and Email through OWA The body just shows as a little white spot with a red X though it (like when there is a missing image on a website). The really strange part is that it works fine when using Firefox as the browser. I first thought it was due to the fact that I have self signed certificates. But the symptoms are the same if I use HTTP or HTTPS. I then tried adding the server name to the "trusted sites" but still there was no change. I insta...

Windows Users, Download Out Of Band Patch Immediately!
Use http://www.microsoft.com/downloads, Or Download It From Windows Update. Please Note That CNBC Said that even if you have IE disabled, an Intruder could still get in if IE is installed on your computer (which means that it affects everyone except Windows 95 and Older Users)! Did You Know That CNBC Said For You To Take Your Medicine? Just FYI. They Said That You Need To Schedule More Visits With Your Psychiatrist. Just FYI. Just FYI. Just FYI. "Kevin John Panzke" <kevin.panzke@gmail.com> wrote in message news:02750795-1aed-4c49-9875-c35a4fd4ff29@a6g200...

Exchange 2003 vs OWA NDR content handling
In Outlook 2003, and 2000, I only have an attachment with the title "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender". If I open up this attachment, I simply see the reason codes for the delivery failure. In OWA (Exch 2003) I will also see the message with the attachment, "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender". When I open this up, I will see the reason codes for the delivery failure AND I will also have an attachment which is the original message that failed. How come this does not show up in Outlook but it appears in OWA for the same message? Is there and Exchange setting that determi...

Display User defined entity in tab
I am new to CRM and would like to display a Custom Entity in a tab on the Account form. I have created the entity and added links to products and contacts and accounts. I have mapped the account name to the custom entity name. I have add the new tab to the account form and added the iFrame with URL = http://<server name>/UserDefined/edit.aspx?etc= I am not sure how to program the OnLoad event so that I can display this new form and be able to edit it. the form will only be available on this custom tab as it is used to store what products are clients are using and who installed th...

No OWA and remote Exchange admin after installing of patch
NT Server 4.0 sp6.a, Exchange 5.5 sp4.0 After installing a Microsoft patch,OWA and remote Exchange admin didn't work anymore. A hotfix is available but you can't find it. I had to call Microsoft first! They send me the hotfix. See TechNet article Q332051 Leo That article talks about requesting a cert for IIS 6 after installing Certificate Service. I think you posted the wrong number. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Us...

Sync between Sent Items-mailbox when using OWA and Sent Items in P
Dear Sir In my office I use outlook connected to exchange server through a LAN, where I send and receive emails normally. I use Personal Folders so I find all received emails in Inbox and all sent emails in Sent Items of the personal folder. At weekend I close my outlook before I go home in order to keep all my received emails in the mail box of the server, I use Outlook Web Access (OWA) connected to the exchange server through the internet where I send and receive email normally and I find all the received emails in the Inbox and all the sent emails in the Sent Items of the...

Password lenght limit in Money 2004 for online accounts?
In Money 2004 when I go to setup my online investment accounts/Bank accounts the wizard limits the password lenght to 10 characters. My password to enter Money with .net is longer then that! Does anyone know of a workaround? Most if not all financial institutions recommend password lenghts begining at 8 characters and going up to 21. This limit seems to be self imposed by Microsoft...any suggestions The limit is set by the FI in data they communicate to Money. <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8b3f01c49651$2200ed60$a501280a@phx.gbl... > In Money 200...

Tasks created by one user show up in another users Outlook
I'm looking into this problem for a company that has their own Exchange server. The problem is that one user is creating tasks in Outlook and some of them are winding up in someone elses Outlook. When this happens they are no longer available in her Outlook and just appear in the other users task list. She does have access to the other users Calendar and task but she does not have his task list open. She's not moving them into his calendar and she's not assigning them to him. Has anyone every had this happen? They are using Outlook 2003. In news:1166727205.224516.163490@42g200...

Password Retention Outlook 2002
Outlook 2002 won't remember the passwords upon exiting. I've downloaded all the updates as suggested. I've changed the registry as suggested in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;264672 but that didn't fix the problem. Any suggestions? What does the message box say when it pops up and asks for your password? The more detail the better. -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Nancy" <archie_taylor@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:00be01c369aa$396234c0$a501280a@phx.gbl... Outlook 2002 won't remember the passwords upon exiting. I&...

User ID number
I am using Microsoft Money 2003 Deluxe. I want to know how to change user ID number in Money,the bank has given me an user ID number.I dont know how to change it in Money. Please help me. The bank's user id would be for online services. Do you have online services setup in Money for your bank? Go to Accounts, Setup Accounts, Setup Online Services. If you have them setup, you can modify from the setup page as well. "Shaun" <weirdo21us@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:096e01c387a7$79862af0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I am using Microsoft Money 2003 Deluxe. I want to know...

e-mail password in not save on exit
Every time I exit Outlook 2002, my password is deleted. I have checked save password each time but it still doesn't save after exiting the program. Anyone know the answer to this one? There have been several issues with passwords not being retained with Outlook. Here are some of the known solutions: For Outlook 2000 or 2002 on Win 98, NT, or 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290684 For Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000: (CW) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;275465 (IMO) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259416 F...