Store limit in Exchange

I'm currently researching the migration of my organization's mail system to
Exchange and see that the standard edition of Exchange has a data store
limit of 16GB.  If we were to do a front end, back end setup with two server
and the back end server that has the data store were to reach the 16GB limit
would adding another back end server resolve this?  I read in another post
that this would double the space.  But doing this the users that are
currently create would have to be split up and some moved to the new data
store server correct?

Also since the Enterprise edition allows more then one database then more
then one data store could be saved on the same server?  Would this be useful
if one wanted to keep certain groups of users separate or would using the
standard edition and having a back end data store server for each group be
best?

If you are using Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition, each Exchange server
can have one storage group, which contains one mailbox store and one public
folder store. If you are using Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, each
server can have up to four storage groups, each of which up to five
databases (either mailbox stores or public folder stores).

So yes 2 servers would double the size, but Enterprise would add much more.
The ultimate would be 2 servers with Enterprise. :-)

Any time you can split the databases into smaller ones, you improve backup
and recovery and overall exchange performance.

--
Hope it helps...........

dw

Don Wilwol
Blog - http://spaces.msn.com/members/wilwol/
Web - http://capital.net/~wilwol/dw.htm
DonWilwol(REMOVE)@yahoo.com

"Brent" <brent.andersonRemoveThis@brun.k12.va.us> wrote in message
> I'm currently researching the migration of my organization's mail system
> to Exchange and see that the standard edition of Exchange has a data store
> limit of 16GB.  If we were to do a front end, back end setup with two
> server and the back end server that has the data store were to reach the
> 16GB limit would adding another back end server resolve this?  I read in
> another post that this would double the space.  But doing this the users
> that are currently create would have to be split up and some moved to the
> new data store server correct?
>
> Also since the Enterprise edition allows more then one database then more
> then one data store could be saved on the same server?  Would this be
> useful if one wanted to keep certain groups of users separate or would
> using the standard edition and having a back end data store server for
> each group be best?

0
donwilwol (13)

Outsourced Exchange
Hey All: I have clients who would like to use the public folder and contact sharing capability of Exchange without having the burden of housing Exchange inhouse (currently they use POP email). So I looked at some calendar and contact sharing tools on slipstick.com, but when I do research on them, they seem flaky. I am also considering whether to move them to an outsourced Exchange service provider such as Mi8, etc. Does anyone here have experience with using managed/hosted exchange service? What are the risks and pitfalls? Which provider has a great track record? Thanks. - Raheem I have he...

Newbie
I have installed Exchange 2003 (new install) on a new install of Windows Server 2003. When I went to add info for the SMTP server (using Exchange Management System - EMS) I navigated to Servers - Exchange1 - Protocols - SMTP There's no default SMTP server listed in there. How can I get one in there? -Fran- Did you have IIS installed already? <Fran> wrote in message news:vmrpu1h04d06lpot07kbqu78lnsflpqcaa@4ax.com... >I have installed Exchange 2003 (new install) on a new install of > Windows Server 2003. > > When I went to add info for the SMTP server (using Exch...

[OL2003] adding exchange account to profile by PRF file
Hi, a PRF file (as shown below) generates an exchange account within a separately generated profile. I would like to change the PRF file such that the exchange account is added to the already existing profile called "Outlook" such that there is no need to switch profiles all the time. What adjustments are needed? I think section 4 is the most important part. Thanks for your help. Best wishes, J. NB: XXXXXX denotes the account on the exchange server. In the code below it is the name of the profile generated by PRF, as well. ________________ ;Automatically generated PRF file from...

Exchange 5.5 DL's in Exchange 2003 GAL
we are currently running a mixed mode environment (Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2003) which has two domains. Exchange 2003 is running in Domain A, and Domain B contains both 2003 and 5.5. The problem that we have is that Exchange 5.5 DL's in doamin A show up in the Exchange 2003 GAL, but Exchange 5.5 DL's from domain B do not. I have had a look at the ADC and everything appears to be ok. Take a look at these: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;275194 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329200 "swingman" <steven.jones@arup.com&g...

Backup Exchange Server #3
Hi, I am new to Exchange administration. So please be gentle in reply... Here is the Question: My company currently has 1 exchange server. Recently it went down and we did not have emails for almost 3 days before I could figure out a way to get the database back (considering that there was no backup as it was failing). Now it is all working perfectly well. My boss now wants me to put in a secondary exchange server so that incase the first one fails it should automatically switch over to the second one and there should be no down time. My company is based on revenue from orders coming t...

Cannot uninstall my old Exchange 2000 box
Good Evening all, We recently completed a migration from 2000 to 2003 Exchange. We sent an email to all current users in the AD that we though had mailboxes and then moved those mailboxes to the new server. I am not showing any existing mailboxes on my 2000 Exchange server. I only the mailboxes I see on the old server using the ESM are SMTP, System Attendant and System Mailbox. When I run the 2000 Exchange CD and chose remove it brings up an error that I am either using the wrong media or I still have mailboxes on this server and need to move them before uninstalling. Am I missing ...

Deleted Items Retention on Mailbox Store
We have Exchange Server 2003 and have set the Limits under Deletion Settings to keep deleted items for 30 days, but the items are not being deleted. I found under our Server Properties in System Manager, the Mailbox Management Process, but it was set to Never run. Will running this process delete the items older than 30 days, or is it necessary to do something else to have these items be automatically deleted? Thanks, Deleted Items Retention simply means that once you have emptied your Deleted Items Folder, those items are not purged from the database for 30 days. DIR does _not_ manage ...

Setting up Conference Rooms as Resources in Exchange 2003
Hello, I've spent a considerable amount of time fishing around for a document I had once found describing a Microsoft add-on to Exchange 2003 that would allow us to set up conference rooms, projectors, etc., as resources to invite or schedule in Outlook. Does anyone know where this went to? So far I can't seem to find it. Many thanks! Auto-accept Agent Admin & Deployment Guide http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/autoaccpt.mspx -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "AJWS" <AJWS@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Email limits
I have an SBS 2003 R2 server and the limit for sending and receiving email is set at the default level of 10,240KB. I have noticed that some users that do not have a custom limit set have, for example, emails from 11MB to 16MB in their accounts. Is there another place I need to adjust the global limits for email? Thanks, John "John" <bsmith@aol.com> wrote in message news:eJFUQCIbKHA.5976@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I have an SBS 2003 R2 server and the limit for sending and receiving email >is set at the default level of 10,240KB. I have noticed t...

Hiding Exchange 2003 user's group membership in Outlook 2003
When a user X sends an email to user Y, user Y can find out all groups user X belongs to (both Security & Distribution Groups and those Groups' members) by simply double clicking on the sender's name in Outlook 2003. This could be serious a security issue in some deployments. Is there a way to hide the groups a user belongs to? I can hide the members of Distribution Groups (user X is a member of) from user Y, by configuring "Hide membership" of those Groups using Exchange Tasks option with AD-Users/Groups tool. However, I cannot hide the members of Security Groups (...

Store customers not syncing with HQ
I have one of my stores that is not syching correctly with HQ. For some reason, any new customers that are added at this one store do not get uploaded to HQ. Anyone else ever have this trouble? All other items are syncing correctly just not the customers. Thanks, Nick Nick, Make sure you have 'New customers default as global customers' checked int he SO Manager-->Configuration-->Options --> Customer Options Rob <nick@realkiteboarding.com> wrote in message news:zkc4e.2439$m_1.1000@fe06.lga... >I have one of my stores that is not syching correctly with HQ. ...

Using Data Stored on External Drives in 64 bit computer
I have a 32-bit computer using Windows XP Pro and I have two externaol hard drives with a lot of important information. When I get a new computer, 64-bit with Windows 7, will I be able to use the data currently stored on my external hard drives with the new 64 bit computer using Windows 7? Thank you. Hi, On 7 Apr., 18:38, moon <m...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a 32-bit computer using Windows XP Pro and I have two externaol hard > drives with a lot of important information. When I get a new computer, 64-bit > with Windows 7, will I be able to use t...

Exchange administrator console not starting
Sometimes on my Exchange 5.5 server the exchange administrator console will not start. I would double click on the icon and nothing would happen. A reboot fixes this problem. The server itself is OK as emails are still working fine and I can open the console from my desktop or another exchange server. Any tips on how to resolve this. If you need more information then please do ask. Thanks F. What errors (and the details of the errors) are you getting in the application or system logs? -------------------- >Thread-Topic: Exchange administrator console not starting >thread-index: ...

Question regarding Exchange 5.5 and 2003 running at the same time
I recently upgraded my domain from NT 4.0 to 2003 in mix mode. I still have a few BDCs and Exchange 5.5 running with no problems. To prepare for Exchange 2003 install I ran forest prep, domain prep and ADC connector. Can I install Exchange 2003 with Exchange 5.5 running at the same time. What downtime should I expect? What could go wrong?? If anyone has any insight or comments feel free to pass it on. DC There are a bunch of documents and good books available on that subject. Search on the microsoft site for keywords "5.5 migrate 2003" I followed the instructions carefully,...

New Exchange server #3
Hi, I have bought a new server on which to run Exchange 2000. I have 2 x 36GB SAS SCSI and 4 x 146GB SAS SCSI. Following advice form this newsgroup I will configure 3 sets of RAID 1. O/S and Pagefile on 36GB RAID 1 Logs on 146GB RAID 1 Databases on 146GB RAID 1 This server will also have our Intranet which is not heavily used. Which drive should I put that on? Any comments would be appreciated. With our existing Exchange server setup we also have a POP3 Mail server in our DMZ. I want to do away with that server and let Exchange handle all the Mail traffic. Can someone point me to some...

Exchange 2000 OWA Login
I know that there's a form-based authentication option for Exchange 2003 but this company uses Exchange 2000 and wants a form instead of the browser prompt for the username/pass. I've searched around and havent found an official way to do it. Does anyone know how? Thanks in advance. Exchange 2000 does not support forms-based authentication. With some programming, you could write either a simple web page to front-end it or a more complex web page. However, I don't think you will get any of the advantages of forms-based auth from W2K3 (such as session timeout). -- Jim M...

Exchange 2003 Security problems
Hi there, Can anyone please tell me what security permissions the exchange enterprise servers must have to Active Directory AND where I can look to verify that it is there? My 3 exchange servers loose there security rights and must do a domainprep every 8 hours to restore the security. I get the following on the exchange servers: Process STORE.EXE (PID=3456). Exchange Server sample.local does not have Audit Security Privilege on Domain Controller sample.local This Domain Controller will not be used by DSAccess. . PLEASE HELP?? Thanks Hens Hens You need to find out why this is happe...

Exchange running slow
Hi, All of the sudden my exchange server is running very slow. When I send e-mail, it takes a good minute for the e-mail to send. When I checked the exchange server, these two services is taking up all my processing power: store.exe cm_smex.exe Any Ideas on why exchange is running slow? Thanks, Frank "Frank Kwong" <frank.kwong@hop.com> wrote: >Hi, >All of the sudden my exchange server is running very >slow. When I send e-mail, it takes a good minute for the >e-mail to send. When I checked the exchange server, these >two services is taking up all my ...

Exchange 2003 deployment
I have set up to domains, x.com and y.x.com as child I have set up exchange server 2003 on x.com, i have not installed exchange server at y.x.com I have set up management tools to DC at y.x.com, when i create a user, my exchange servet at x.com i displayed but mailbox store is null. Do i have to setup exchange also to y.x.com in order to use exchange both at x.com and y.x.com The account that you are logged in with needs to have the correct permissions in the Exchange organization to see the mailbox stores, the minimum permissions needed would be View Only Admin. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange...

two exchange servers, one calendar view?
Is there any way to combine the information from two different Exchange calendars(from 2 different servers) into one view? Are there any add ons that can accomplish this? We have some employees that are working with another company on a long term project, and the two scedules are conflicting. I told her to just use one as a primary inbox that people must realize is your default for scheduling appointments, but she I'm sure some will slip through the carcks and create larger headaches down the road. On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 09:11:05 -0700, Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

Please help! MS Exchange Server is sending personal info!
I have all my personal banking, credit card numbers, passwords, drivers license #, ect, on in my contacts. And some sensitive info in notes. My company just changed to an inhouse server and is using ms exchange and it copied my contacts folder to the server, which can certainly be viewed by anybody in the office. And I run the risk of all this going everywhere. I went on the internet site and deleted everything I could, but now I can never go into outlook while being connected to the internet. Please help! What is the best solution? Thanks, Wendy Mark your contact properties in the permissi...

Store Ops & HQ on the same server
Can I run Store Operations and Headquarters Server on the same server? I was testing this on a standalone PC and the HQ Client gave me an error message: HQ Server & HQ Client cannot have the same network address (or something like that). Since the test system is standalone, I was unable to use an IP address for the Address on the HQ server tab. I suspect (and hope) that with a networked system this will not be an issue. This is fairly critical to me, since I have not budgeted for a second server for my primary (HQ) store. Thanks, Tom -- The worst words in business: "We...

Create Exchange 2007 Mailbox
Hi there, is it possible to set the extended properties of a mailbox on Exchange 2007 to make it a full 2007 mailbox rather than a Legacy mailbox? Hello Waldy, Please use the Exchange forum instead this one: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/exchangeserver Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm > Hi there, > is it possib...

Changing Exchange server name
Hi all, I've to change my Exchange server name from old_server_name to new_server_name. What I've to know before make this change? Thank you On the same subject, I use an MST when installing through my org. I will alter the MST so Outlook configures Automatically on new installs but where is the Exchange sever named stored to change it on Previously installed PCs (only effects user who sign on to multiple location as there first sign on is handled by Active Directory) . note: sry to horde in on your thread Andrea "Andrea Caldarone" wrote: > Hi all, > &...

On dismount/mounting store, Undeliverable messages are sent
Hello, I have been having this problem when a dismount/mount my store on 2003 SP1. If we had messages that came back as Undeliverable from System Administrator, the mailbox that sent the original message gets the message of Undeliverable when I re-mount the store. In fact, we have even had the instance where the recepients of the original e-mail get the Undeliverable message a month or so later when I re-mount. Has anyone seen a similar issue? Thanks, Howard I've seen something similar after a virus issue in which I was receiving cases from users who reported messages that were yea...