Store Junk E-mail Configuration Not Effective

Right now we are running a Front-End / Back-End Configuration with Exchange
2003, and having problems enabling the Store Junk E-mail Configuration
Settings on the back-end server.

Both are front-end and back-end servers are upgraded to Exchange 2003 SP2,
the Front-End server had the original version of IMF, which was removed prior
to installing SP2.  The readme was reviewed with SP2, and instructions were
followed.

Our Front-End server is successfully using the Gateway Setting, but the
Store Junk E-Mail setting is not effective at all.

Anyone have similar experience, and have been able to resolve this?

Thanks,
Dave
0
dave871 (680)

Dave:
    What is your Gateway and Store SCL configuration set to?  By "not
effective", do you mean that it is not putting messages in the Junk E-mail
folder.

    By the way, there is an "issue" in the Store Junk E-mail Configuration
text on the Intelligent Message Filtering property page.  The text says
"Move messages with an SCL rating greater than or equal to"  SHOULD NOT have
the "....or equal to" portion.  So, it is really just an SCL value "greater
than".  So, if you have the Store Junk E-mail Configuration set to "6", it
only puts values "7 or higher" in to the Junk E-mail folder.  Yes, I know, I
know, don't get me started....  Hopefully that will be fixed in the GUI in
the next SP.  Anyway, I mentioned this in case this was your issue.

HTH,

--
Jim McBee
Blog: http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com

> Right now we are running a Front-End / Back-End Configuration with
> Exchange
> 2003, and having problems enabling the Store Junk E-mail Configuration
> Settings on the back-end server.
>
> Both are front-end and back-end servers are upgraded to Exchange 2003 SP2,
> the Front-End server had the original version of IMF, which was removed
> prior
> to installing SP2.  The readme was reviewed with SP2, and instructions
> were
> followed.
>
> Our Front-End server is successfully using the Gateway Setting, but the
> Store Junk E-Mail setting is not effective at all.
>
> Anyone have similar experience, and have been able to resolve this?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

0
jmcbee9404 (625)
5/27/2006 10:31:46 PM
Gateway set to 8 and Store SCL set to 4.  As for 'Not Effective' I do mean
that I will receive emails with an SCL 5 or higher in my inbox, and not
placed in my Junk E-Mail folder.

"Jim McBee [MVP Exchange]" wrote:

> Dave:
>     What is your Gateway and Store SCL configuration set to?  By "not
> effective", do you mean that it is not putting messages in the Junk E-mail
> folder.
>
>     By the way, there is an "issue" in the Store Junk E-mail Configuration
> text on the Intelligent Message Filtering property page.  The text says
> "Move messages with an SCL rating greater than or equal to"  SHOULD NOT have
> the "....or equal to" portion.  So, it is really just an SCL value "greater
> than".  So, if you have the Store Junk E-mail Configuration set to "6", it
> only puts values "7 or higher" in to the Junk E-mail folder.  Yes, I know, I
> know, don't get me started....  Hopefully that will be fixed in the GUI in
> the next SP.  Anyway, I mentioned this in case this was your issue.
>
> HTH,
>
> --
> Jim McBee
> Blog: http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com
> Free eBook: http://nexus.realtimepublishers.com/ttgsm.htm
>

> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Right now we are running a Front-End / Back-End Configuration with
> > Exchange
> > 2003, and having problems enabling the Store Junk E-mail Configuration
> > Settings on the back-end server.
> >
> > Both are front-end and back-end servers are upgraded to Exchange 2003 SP2,
> > the Front-End server had the original version of IMF, which was removed
> > prior
> > to installing SP2.  The readme was reviewed with SP2, and instructions
> > were
> > followed.
> >
> > Our Front-End server is successfully using the Gateway Setting, but the
> > Store Junk E-Mail setting is not effective at all.
> >
> > Anyone have similar experience, and have been able to resolve this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave

0
dave871 (680)
5/29/2006 3:20:01 AM
Resolved!

http://www.exchangeinbox.com/articles/007/enablejunk.htm

It definitely is not clear regarding the Server Side enabling of Anti-Spam
compared to the Client Side.  I think that Microsoft should make note of this
difference somewhere, maybe under the help that describes the Store Junk
E-mail Configuration!

"Outlook 2003 enables the client side anti-SPAM filter. This is the
anti-SPAM technology available to all Outlook 2003 users independently of
whether or not they are using Exchange 2003.

OWA enables Junk Email folder delivery for the server side anti-SPAM layers.
This filtering capability is available to Exchange 2003 users independently
of the Outlook client version in use. OWA enables filtering to Junk Email
folder for the Intelligent Message Filter but Outlook 2003 does not. Actually
this is not 100% true and I will get back to this in a moment.

So what this means is that if you are using the Intelligent Message Filter,
maybe with extensions such as IMF Tune, than OWA is the correct enablement
interface. On the other hand, if you are relying on client side filtering,
than Outlook 2003 enablement is the correct way forward."

Thanks!

"Dave" wrote:

> Gateway set to 8 and Store SCL set to 4.  As for 'Not Effective' I do mean
> that I will receive emails with an SCL 5 or higher in my inbox, and not
> placed in my Junk E-Mail folder.
>
> "Jim McBee [MVP Exchange]" wrote:
>
> > Dave:
> >     What is your Gateway and Store SCL configuration set to?  By "not
> > effective", do you mean that it is not putting messages in the Junk E-mail
> > folder.
> >
> >     By the way, there is an "issue" in the Store Junk E-mail Configuration
> > text on the Intelligent Message Filtering property page.  The text says
> > "Move messages with an SCL rating greater than or equal to"  SHOULD NOT have
> > the "....or equal to" portion.  So, it is really just an SCL value "greater
> > than".  So, if you have the Store Junk E-mail Configuration set to "6", it
> > only puts values "7 or higher" in to the Junk E-mail folder.  Yes, I know, I
> > know, don't get me started....  Hopefully that will be fixed in the GUI in
> > the next SP.  Anyway, I mentioned this in case this was your issue.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > --
> > Jim McBee
> > Blog: http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com
> > Free eBook: http://nexus.realtimepublishers.com/ttgsm.htm
> >

> > "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Right now we are running a Front-End / Back-End Configuration with
> > > Exchange
> > > 2003, and having problems enabling the Store Junk E-mail Configuration
> > > Settings on the back-end server.
> > >
> > > Both are front-end and back-end servers are upgraded to Exchange 2003 SP2,
> > > the Front-End server had the original version of IMF, which was removed
> > > prior
> > > to installing SP2.  The readme was reviewed with SP2, and instructions
> > > were
> > > followed.
> > >
> > > Our Front-End server is successfully using the Gateway Setting, but the
> > > Store Junk E-Mail setting is not effective at all.
> > >
> > > Anyone have similar experience, and have been able to resolve this?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Dave

0
dave871 (680)

Renaming Mailbox Store Container Objects
What are the implications of renaming the mailbox store container objects in ESM? Server -> SG -> Mailbox Store(Server) Is that something that can be done on the fly safely? Thanks! None :-) This particular portion of Exchange can be renamed (safely) to whatever you want. You can also rename Storage Groups and Routing Groups. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Ryan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01f401c496a1$65819a30$a401280a@phx.gbl... > What are the implications of renaming > the mailbox store container objects in > ESM? >...

Renamed Junk E-Mail Folder
We're using MS Outlook 2003 (Standard) on several of our Dell laptops. After installing Outlook 2003 on a recently reformatted system, I noticed that my user's "Junk E-Mail" folder is named "Correo no deseado" which loosely means "mail not wanted" in Spanish. Since this is a system folder, the user wasn't able to rename it. Neither my manager nor I have any idea about why this folder has been renamed in Spanish or how to correct the problem. This is the only item in Outlook that has a Spanish translation. Too weird! Any ideas? look for l...

Outlook Mail notification
Back in the day when I used Netscape 4.0. I used to be able to configure the Netscape email program to notify me with a taskbar icon (and sound) anytime a new email came in, regardless of whether I had the email program running or not. I am currently using Outlook 2002 (Office XP) as my email program. I am able to configure Outlook to notify me when a new email comes in, but apparently it only works when Outlook is running. Does anyone know if there is a way for it to send an mail notification icon when Outlook isn't running. I am on a cable modem so I am always connected, and Ou...

decimal spaces toolong when mail merging from excel
I recive data in an excel spreadsheet that contains in one column a number expressed as " 5.55" which is supposed to be a percentage, but when I try to mailmerge the data, it mailmerges as "5.55061561650660". In other words it carries out the decimal place more than 2 digits, which is not what I want. I have tried formatting the cell, rounding, hand typing the information in another column and deleting the column that contained the original information (which I am sure was edited from 5.55061561650660.) How can I fix this problem so that when I mail merge it comes ou...

Magento Web Store experience?
Does anyone have any experiences they would like to share with the Magento Web Store and interfacing it to GP? -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com ...

Slow mail delivery from new Exch 2003 box
I have Exch 2003 installed on my network on a Win2000 server. I've just installed Exch 2003 on a 2003 member server joined to that domain. Now I have two Exch 2003 servers in my Org. I created a test mailbox account on the new Exch 2003 server. Whenever I send email from the test account, it is very slow to arrive (28mins). If I move that mailbox to the old Exch 2003 on the Win2000 server, it arrives to the recipient instantly. If I run the DCDiag & Netdiag tools; Is there anything in particular in need to look for? Please Help anyone! Post some more info on your AD infrastuct...

Whats the best web based store for integrating with RMS?
Hi, in the past monts I opened a topic about RMS integration with yahoo stores... and i found that fully integration is not a reality at this moment. What other web based stores can be integrated easily or fully or at least well integrated with RMS? (im planning to purchase the QH for RMS too) Thanks Hello Aldo! We have quite a few carts that will work with Microsoft RMS. Our Web Integrator: Professional is quite robust with its feature set, and affordably priced. http://www.newestech.com/POS/RMS/eCommerce/Professional.htm http://www.newestech.com/POS/RMS/eCommerce/Web%20Integrator...

Configuration restarts each time an Office module is opened
Hi All I am going quite mad. I have installed Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 on one Vista notebook. Well and good. I try it on another notebook, register it successfully and now each time I open Word it tries to perform a setup again, with a Configuration Progress dialogue popping up. A few decades later Word appears. There is absolutely no indication what the problem may be. Any ideas are welcome. Cheers Andre Never mind. Problem solved. The registry needed manual editing. "J Andr� Labuschagn�" <technical@eduadmin.com> wrote in messa...

SBS2003
I am running Small Business Server 2003. The server was built and installed about 2 months ago. Everything worked great till about a week ago (no changes made on server). The information store grew to 16 Gig. I did online defrag and offline defrag. Event log says I have 15 Gig free after defrag. 2 hours later it is out of space again. I have defraged this about 5 times now and need help to fix. I only have 5 users and none of them have more than 500 MB in mailbox. You either have a mail loop set up or are being used as a relay or are just getting spam bombed. You need to enable message ...

Convert time stored as decimalised number to time format
Hello How can I convert 3.5 hours to 3:30:00? -- Emma Emma A1/24 and formate as time Mike Rogers "Emma" wrote: > Hello > How can I convert 3.5 hours to 3:30:00? > -- > Emma ...

How do I print a list of my E-mail folders?
I need to print a list of my e-mail folders. "AHD23" <AHD23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5BFD12CA-5D55-4376-AF9C-58703042577D@microsoft.com... >I need to print a list of my e-mail folders. I don't believe there's a way to do that, except as a screen shot. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] This might be a workaround for you: http://www.vboffice.net/sample.html?mnu=2&smp=12&cmd=showitem&lang=en In example #1, replace the line LoopItems Folder.Items by Debug.Print Folder.Name After running the code,...

Windows Live mail not downloaded into Outlook
I have an msn account, Outlook 2007, and Outlook connector installed on a Vista machine. Recently I've had problems downloading mail to Outlook. Outlook Connector shows that Calendar and Contacts are connected, but that there is an error in connecting mail. The error message says: Error in Mail Error with Send/Receive. Look for a log in the Sync Issues folder. Not sure where the Sync issues folder is. This has occurred at least three times in the past month. Once, I deleted my msn profile and started over, but I can't figure out why it occurred or how I was able ...

Mailing Labels
Hello, I'm using Access for a membership database but when I try to preview my mailing labels it asks me for a TRIM what is this? Sorry it says Enter Parameter Value...then on the bottom it says TRIM "rosa5845" wrote: > Hello, > > I'm using Access for a membership database but when I try to preview my > mailing labels it asks me for a TRIM what is this? Open the report definition in design view. Find the control on the report that includes the Trim() function. What happens if you remove that function? There's a possibility that y...

Newbie Needs Help With Formatting E-Mails
Newbie Needs Help With Formatting E-Mails Hi all. I'm new to this site and would appreciate some formatting help. I created a new Word doc and copied and pasted some graphics and some simple text boxes in to it. The graphics and text boxes were created in Powerpoint by someone else. Looks fine on my screen. Before sending it out via e-mail to an Outlook e-mail group I have, I first sent myself a test message to see what it would look like on the receiving end. It looks a mess! The text boxes are all over the place, as is the text that is not in a box. Also, everything slide over to ...

Selecting Pics in Explorer, then "Send via e-mail" doesn't work...
I'm sure this has been addressed, but I haven't found it in a search. I'm running Outlook 2007 and it worked fine with XP - since I've upgraded to Windows 7, I can't select *any* files in explorer and send them via e-mail. Nothing happens, then I can't get Outlook to start under any circumstance unless I reboot. I need to create a new e-mail, then select the files...and it works fine, but it's a giant PITA. Any help: Sounds like it is caused by a corruption or an incompatible add-in. Which add-ins do you have installed? Tools-> Trust Center-&g...

Opening E-mail with excel attachment
I cannot open excel files people send me through e-mail it asks to check if path and filename are correct and that I have all the libraries required, i have excel97...can someboby please help m Try this first In Microsoft Excel 97, on the Tools menu, click Options. Click the General tab. Clear the Ignore Other Applications checkbox, and click OK. -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "jay" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5B135A4B-65A9-47FB-BDA1-A884C31BAC55@microsoft.com... > I cannot open excel files peo...

NDR Help
Hi, I hope someone can help on this. A few people have complained they cannot e-mail to us always. They get an NDR. This is very intermittent it seems and not everyone is affected. They have forwarded the NDR they have received. I've attached it below. I can't work out if our mail server has sent that to them or if it is generated by their company e-mail server. This happens mainly with one company but i think it has happened to some others as well - i can't be sure but the one company mainly (or even only). It is odd in that they can e-mail and get through then do it aga...

Give a delegate Permission to send mail on my behalf
Hi I am able to view the mailbox of the person who has set me up as a delegate. But I am not able to send mail and respond to mail on the other person's behalf. What am I doing wrong please help Thanks SMatthew What version of Outlook? They need to grant you "send on behalf of" rights in their Outlook - or, depending on the Exchange server version, the admin may be able to grant you rights to it there. SMatthew wrote: > Hi > > I am able to view the mailbox of the person who has set > me up as a delegate. But I am not able to send mail and > respond to ma...

Windows Mail spelling control Dutch
Spelling control of my Windows Mail (Version 6.0.6000.16386 / Vista_rtm.061101-2205) is presently limited to English, French, German, Spanish. I want to include spelling control for Dutch. I received below advise, but after donwload and installation of the most recent version of Wlndows Live, no upgrade to below mentioned latest version has happened, nor is there a complement of 37 spell check languages. ********************** Make sure you have the latest version (14.0.8089.0726), and you have to be online to see the full complement of 37 spell check languages. ****************...

Experts Challenge: MAPI is unable to access Public Folder store items
Goodday to all of you, I have crosspost my messages to several newsgroups. Reason for this is that my previous posts to different newsgroups did not solve the problem. Maybe if I crosspost, there will be an expert that has a solution. Also I am not sure to which group I should post my problem. Maybe this post long-winded, do not see at as material for a novel!!! - I am just trying to explain the exact TERRIBLE situation! ---- ---- ---- ---- I am experiencing a problem with our Public Folder Store. All my users are not be able to access e-mail items in the Public Folders using their Outlo...

Junk E-mail Problem
Hi All, Our company using Small Business Server 2003, all the user use outlook 2003. We connect email through Exchange Server. We had a big problem, my boss email usually go to junk mail at Exchange Server mail box. But not every email. We had added him to safe sender list but the problem still exist. I had checked the server but I can't find the definition of filter email. My boss is using Powerbook Macintosh and Microsoft Entourage 2004 to send email. His company email is always forward to his ISP email and he receive email from ISP pop3 account. He use ISP smtp account to send emai...

Can a front end server (OWA) also accept all mail for an organization
Hi, I was wondering if an Exchange front end server (OWA) could also act as the main server to receive mail before sending it on to an Exchange Cluster Server? Thanks, Dan Yes. You have to have the Information Store service started for this IIRC, but it can act as an SMTP Gateway. You would just point the mapping for port 25 on your firewall to the FE server. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "Dan" <dfulmek@accuwareinc.com> wrote in message news:exxQ$aCqFHA.2652@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I was wondering if an Exchange front end server (OW...

Attaching a worksheet to an e-mail
Hi! I am working with excel 2003 I would like to attach a worksheet (not the entire workbook) to a e-mail. I would like to do it as an excel worksheet if possible but can make it work as a body of text as well. What would the code loo like for this. The user is accessing my workbook file (read only) through a websit and when they fill-out the form they click a button and the macr e-mails the form worksheet to my e-mail address. This is an attempt a doing "On-Line" warranty claims. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated -- Brian Matlac --------------------------------...

e-mail is locked or down for maintenance, what to do?
I received an error message: Microsoft Office Outlook is locked or down for maintenance. unable to access mail for two days. How do I unlock or what is to be done Is this a work account? If yes, then ask your mail admin. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, La Condesa asked: | I received an error message: Microsoft Office Outlook is locked or | down for maintenance. unable to ...

Configure a delay in Outbound Messages
Hi I have a customer who is wanting to configure a delay in outbound delivery of mail. For example they are wanting to send outbound when the Q length is say 10 or 20 messages or perhaps to send on a 15 minute schedule. The reason for doing this is so that there is a time window where a message can be stopped from being sent if it should not have been sent. Is this easy to do or is it rather complicated with good reasons why you'd never want to do it? TIA KIWI On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:55:56 -0800, "KIWI" <john_hastie@nospanhotmail.com> wrote: >Hi > >I ha...