Store file sizes do not make sense.

I am running Exchange Enterprise 2003 sp1
My priv1.edb is 20GB's, my priv1.stm is 70GB's.
All but one of my users is using Outlook 2003. (the one user that doesn't
use ol2003 is me)
We only have limited use of OWA.
I have tried to perform an offline defrag, and the stm file only dropped by
1 GB.
I am left wondering what is actually in the STM file when you add up all the
mailboxes, it only totals approximately 18GB's.
The couple of questions I have.
What in the world of Microsoft is chewing up so much space?
Other than moving all of the mailboxes to another server, cleaning up the
files and then moving the users back, what can I do?
Is there a tool that I can use to examine what is actually currently in the
STM file?
I know that I can use the eseutil /ms to get number of empty pages, but that
does me no good when the database is only shrunk by a gig when the defrag is
run.
Any other thoughts or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Gene
0
Gene8063 (28)

Take a look at:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/insider/trueamountofspace.mspx
to understand the true picture.
Worst case you can create a new SG, put a store in it and then do a
full mailbox move to the new store and finally dismount/delete/mount
the first store.
0
mark7219 (5666)
10/17/2006 6:10:58 PM
I, previous to the defrag, ran the the eseutil /ms, it broke down to freeing
approximately 12GB in the EDB file and 1 GB in the STM file.
I am trying to find a way to clear the STM file if possible, as it seems
inordinately large in comparison to the physical mailbox sizes stored on that
system.
On a side note in regards to STM, if we receive emails for users that do not
exist, generate an NDR, does that process ever hit the STM?

Gene

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> Take a look at:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/insider/trueamountofspace.mspx
> to understand the true picture.
> Worst case you can create a new SG, put a store in it and then do a
> full mailbox move to the new store and finally dismount/delete/mount
> the first store.

0
Gene8063 (28)

Here is fix for Windows file problems

MS RMS Store Operations Study Guide?
Does any one have this? I would like to get certified but I don't have the $298 to buy it. http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/retailmanagementsystem/using/rms_elearning.mspx Thanks, Jho After purchasing RMS in January I was told that the User's Guide (which could bethe basis of study) was no longer available in printed form. After finally gaining access to CustomerSource, I found it available for download (all 536 pages of it). Yesterday, my RMS tech told me that it is again being shipped with new purchases of RMS. You do have to be a support customer to access the s...

Fax Icon on my File menu and toolbar

PAGE SIZE DIFFICULTY
WHEN I CHANGE MY PAGE SIZE AND PAPER SIZE MY PUBLICATION REMAINS THE SAME. COULD SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO SHRINK MY DOCUMENT TO MATCH MY PAPER SIZE >-----Original Message----- >WHEN I CHANGE MY PAGE SIZE AND PAPER SIZE MY PUBLICATION REMAINS THE SAME. >COULD SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO SHRINK MY DOCUMENT TO MATCH MY PAPER SIZE >. > Choose Page setup from the File drop down menu and set the page size to suit your needs. Note that elements on the page do not change. You will have to rearrange to suit. MISS2728 wrote: > WHEN I CHANGE MY PAGE SIZE AND PAPER SIZE MY PUBLICATION RE...

Outlook receiving zip files

unable to read file #7

SBS 2003 moving of users files

Importing AOL Email File Cabinet

making filtering rules?
hi, i am trying to create a rule that goes something like if (site1.com OR site2.org OR site3.gov) AND (agri OR agriculture OR agribusiness) then move to folder X that is, if it is from any of those sites AND has any of those keywords then move it. The problem is i can't seem to figure out the specifying the AND part. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated! Cheers -Gaiko ...

Exporting contacts in a csv file

Publisher can not save file

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

Continuing problmes with chkdsk and PST file
My PST file is apparently corrupted, with "Data error, cyclic redundancy check" upon starting Outlook. As per earlier advice, i ran chkdsk /r. But, chkdsk hangs. The % done on phase 4, file data check, was moving along at 1% per every 1 to 5 minutes. Then, at exactly 50%, it just stopped moving. I left it for a few hours, but no further progress (so i interrupted it). The disk light was on continually, but no progress in % complete. Also, if scanpst.exe is run, windows crashes (blue screen). So, are there any further suggestions? Is there any disk utility more robust t...

Numbering in Book Files
I am creating a tech manual where each chapter is its own file. I have created an outline numbered list and saved the list in a template that I then use to create the new chapters. However, I am finding that when I go into a new chapter that the outline numbering does not pick up on the chapter (Heading 1) number. For example: Chapter 1: Heading 1 style 1.1: Heading 2 style 1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc. But when I start my next chapter, when I update the chapter number to start at 2, I get this: Chapter 2: Heading 1 style 1.1: Heading 2 style 1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc. ...

Restoring Outlook Files
hi, I need to move the actual inbox, etc. from one hard drive to another. Which files do I look for? I had Outlook configured as an IMAP client. I keep looking for a master "inbox" or "mailbox" file, but am unable to find it. thanks for the help! rt brown Look here for all the information you need on backup and restoration of Outlook data: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:02b50...

Outlook 2000 slow to attach files
I am running Outlook 2000 with XP, and when I go to attach a file on the network, it is extremely slow. However, when I go to the same file through Windows Explorer, it is very quick. Does anyone know what this problem might be or how to fix it? ...