This one has me baffled.  We are using Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2000
and have been for 8 months.  No previous problems with attachments
(.doc, .xls, .jpg).

About 2 weeks ago, we started hearing from certain recipients that the
attachment wasn't arriving; instead they were getting an unreadable
file called winmail.dat.   MS says that this is because the sender is
using Rich Text to format the email.  We have changed the senders to
use Plain Text and still have the same problem.  If the email is sent
to several recipients, some will get the attachment fine, some will
not.  This didn't happen before.  These same recipients have gotten
all attachments that were previously sent - up until about 2 weeks
ago.

The only change to the Exchange server was an update to IHateSpam that
was done Sunday 2/13/05.  This problem preceded the IHS update, so I
am not inclined to believe that IHS is the problem (I've been wrong
before...).  We have a user base of around 90, and this is only a
problem for 4 users, and then only some of their recipients.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 06:09:48 GMT, Confused
<DontspamTruckerDave2@yahoo.com> wrote:

>This one has me baffled.  We are using Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2000
>and have been for 8 months.  No previous problems with attachments
>(.doc, .xls, .jpg).
>
>About 2 weeks ago, we started hearing from certain recipients that the
>attachment wasn't arriving; instead they were getting an unreadable
>file called winmail.dat.   MS says that this is because the sender is
>using Rich Text to format the email.  We have changed the senders to
>use Plain Text and still have the same problem.  If the email is sent
>to several recipients, some will get the attachment fine, some will
>not.  This didn't happen before.  These same recipients have gotten
>all attachments that were previously sent - up until about 2 weeks
>ago.
>
>The only change to the Exchange server was an update to IHateSpam that
>was done Sunday 2/13/05.  This problem preceded the IHS update, so I
>am not inclined to believe that IHS is the problem (I've been wrong
>before...).  We have a user base of around 90, and this is only a
>problem for 4 users, and then only some of their recipients.
>
>Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I guess they pointed you at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196784
Did they send you to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138053 as well?
Also, what's the Exchange server doing? It can overide the client
instructions. Check on Global Settings in ESM.

0
mark7219 (5666)
2/15/2005 8:23:37 AM
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:23:37 +0000, "Mark Arnold [MVP]"
<mark@mvps.org> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 06:09:48 GMT, Confused
><DontspamTruckerDave2@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>This one has me baffled.  We are using Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2000
>>and have been for 8 months.  No previous problems with attachments
>>(.doc, .xls, .jpg).
>>
>>About 2 weeks ago, we started hearing from certain recipients that the
>>attachment wasn't arriving; instead they were getting an unreadable
>>file called winmail.dat.   MS says that this is because the sender is
>>using Rich Text to format the email.  We have changed the senders to
>>use Plain Text and still have the same problem.  If the email is sent
>>to several recipients, some will get the attachment fine, some will
>>not.  This didn't happen before.  These same recipients have gotten
>>all attachments that were previously sent - up until about 2 weeks
>>ago.
>>
>>The only change to the Exchange server was an update to IHateSpam that
>>was done Sunday 2/13/05.  This problem preceded the IHS update, so I
>>am not inclined to believe that IHS is the problem (I've been wrong
>>before...).  We have a user base of around 90, and this is only a
>>problem for 4 users, and then only some of their recipients.
>>
>>Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
>
>I guess they pointed you at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196784
>Did they send you to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138053 as well?
>Also, what's the Exchange server doing? It can overide the client
>instructions. Check on Global Settings in ESM.

I looked at those, but they dealt with OWA, not Exchange Server
issues.
I was finally able to resolve the issue by forcing all email to be
sent as plain text from the Exchange server.  I really didn't want to
have to implement this, but now the attachments are going out and my
CEO is happy again.

Thanks for the help.
Confused <DontspamTruckerDave2@yahoo.com> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>I looked at those, but they dealt with OWA, not Exchange Server
>issues.
>I was finally able to resolve the issue by forcing all email to be
>sent as plain text from the Exchange server.  I really didn't want to
>have to implement this, but now the attachments are going out and my
>CEO is happy again.

The attachments were always going with the message. The problem is
that some clients, and servers, don't understand the MIME ms-tnef
encoding and either ignore that MIME body part or mistakenly show the
contents of the MIME body part as if it were part of the text.

For the domains that have this problem you can use UUENCODE to them
instead of MIME, or use HTML. The root of the problem is RTF.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138053 discusses the Exchange server.

--

Andy.
0

attachment/email size limits
This is somewhat of a poll for the admins out there. In general, for those who admin exchange servers with multiple clients, (and or sites). Do you limit email size or attachment sizes? And if so, what is your limit set to? (I'm not refering to inbox or account size limits, I'm referring to the size of individual emails). Currently our company has no limit on what can be sent or received. Although most of our outside recipients that we email with on a regular basis do have limits. Most range from the 3 to 5 meg range. 40MB for incoming, 15MB for outgoing. Jayjay wrote: ...

.email attachments
I have been getting some emails lately with a .email as the attachment. Outlook Exress won't open these. Any tips? If possible, please respond to my email address listed above. Thanks. Rename them to *.eml. Note that this is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=InternetExplorer Good Luck! -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, D...

All Task bars gone How do I get them back?
All of a sudden the other day everything at the top of my screen disappeared. I can load my word documents by searching my files and double clicking on the name but I can not Open a document inside word. I have never seen anything like this where all the buttons for using Word are gone. How do I get them back. http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm or http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP ...

Saving an Attachment
I am trying to make up a rule in Outlook 2002 to take every message with Subject "ACT! Sync" and save the attachment to a particular folder, then delete the message... I'm sure I have to write a script or perform a custom action, but I'm not sure on how to do this.. can somebody help? There are some utilities that will do that here: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/auto.htm ExLife is one notable. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questio...

attachments in inbound messages do not decode #2
I have a problem with an exchange 5.5 server (on NT 4 box). All of a sudden message attachments from a specific outside domain do not decode. See below the attachment just shows up has junk. How do you fix this? Other interesting thing if I forward (either internal or external) the message to anyone the attachment works fine. I have searched but haven't found any pertinent ports. Paul ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > -----Original Message----- > From: Nolan, Pati > Sent: Friday, November 11...

Getting the longest string

ISP broken when E-Mail with attachments is sent
I am using Outlook 2002, I recently have had problems sending E-Mails with attachments. It began with attachments larger than 100K, a week later I can't sent one with a 5KB attachment. I have contacted Verizon(my DSL provider and they tell me it is my software. I have Juno and I can sent the same attachments tirectly thru Juno without going thru Outlook. Can anyone help me? Do you get any error messages when you try to send attachments? If so, what are they? -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rig...

Re: How to get all mails, even those for unknown recipient
Yes, good idea :) It is all i need (for example http://www.christensen-software.com/cscatchall.htm) But i wish those NDR are generated. To inform user that used address might be misstyped Is it posible to combine catchall mailbox with a ability of standard NDR generating? TIA Martin Blackstone - MVP wrote / napisal(a): > I think you are talking a Catch All mailbox. > Check this out > http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2005/04/creating-catch-all-mailbox-in-exchange.html > > > "guzzi" <guzzi@_DOT_yandex.ru> wrote in message news:OoSFMGZhGHA.12...

Mail merge recipient dialog box
Why are the "edit" and "refresh" buttons at the bottom of the mail merge recipient dialog box grayed out? They were available in the last Word version but I cannot figure how to access them in 7 to add to or correct my mailing list. In Word 2007, the first thing you have to do is select the name of the data source in the box at the bottom left of the dialog box. Then, depending on the type of data source, the Edit and Refresh buttons may be ungreyed. [FWIW the same dialog is used by MS Publisher, where they allow multiple data sources, requiring you to ...

2003 recipient policy for exchange 5.5
Can a recipient policy created on 2003 to purge mail in the deleted items folder also be used for exchange 5.5 in the same site? John Stimpson On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:16:19 -0500, "John Stimpson" <johnstimpson@tupperware.com> wrote: >Can a recipient policy created on 2003 to purge mail in the deleted items >folder also be used for exchange 5.5 in the same site? > >John Stimpson > I would say not. There is the Mailbox Manager feature in 5.5. Are you able to use that or did you just want something with a single interface? ...

Attachment problems #2
When someone in our office sends an e-mail from their Mac with an attachment(e.g. a jpeg file) those of us with PC's can't open it. However, if one of us with a PC can access the file, we can attach the file and send to everyone (and they can open it). What's going on? ...

What is the best procedure for Getting a valid COA/License for a XP SP1 system.
I need to find out the best procedure for Getting a valid COA/License for a XP SP1 system. I've checked E-Bay but maybe dealing directly with M/S would be best Bob Robert J. Stevens wrote: > I need to find out the best procedure for Getting a valid > COA/License for a XP SP1 system. > I've checked E-Bay but maybe dealing directly with M/S would be best Not sure you can, anymore - for Windows XP. Assuming you are doing this because it is counterfeit/bad... http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ -- Shenan Stanley MS-MVP -- How To Ask Questions The Smart ...

Get paid to surf
Surfjunky pays up to .75$ per hour you surf, no limit to how long you surf. I've had an account for 2 days now, and i've let it sit and i've raked in 27$ http://www.surfjunky.com/?r=Etra1n ...

How to get device name?
Hello all: I want to know all the name of devices in my PC, because I want to open them using API CreateFile and test it, how to do?thanks. Hi, what you want do by meanin "test it"? You cant open all devices with the API CreateFile (for several reasons). Regards Kerem -- ----------------------- Beste Gr�sse / Best regards / Votre bien devoue Kerem G�mr�kc� Latest Open-Source Projects: http://entwicklung.junetz.de ----------------------- "Lee Tow" <fbjlt@pub3.fz.fj.cn> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:#vVH#JkqKHA.4220@TK2MSFTNGP0...

I have a problem with getting a total Sum of numbers (URGENT)
I'd really appreciate if someone could help me here. I am using Microsoft Excel 2002 on a Microsoft Office XP system. I a trying to develop a minor league baseball schedule, but am having som problems. I have attached a copy of my spreadsheet to give everyone some idea o what I'm doing here. I have where the fans list the "RUNS, HITS & ERRORS) of both teams an for each game of the series. I then have it set up in the TOTA WON/LOST column where if the T-Bones RUNS are more than the SALTDOG runs, a "1" appears in the WON column. If the SALTDOGS have a highe numbe...

CRM 3.0 internal recipients don't recieve mails
Hi everybody... We've installed CRM 3.0, including the Exchange Route Component on an Exchange Server 2003. Inbound and outbound mails, mail tracking and so on are working correctly, but if someone sends an email using the CRM WebInterface or the CRM Outlook Client and uses an email-recipient of our internal domain (e.g. as TO, CC or BCC with adress username@mydomain.com) the mail is not send. An activity that describes that email ist correctly generated by the CRM, but the mail itself is not send to any of the listed recipients, if at least one of them belongs to our domain. Doe...

Why are emails all attachments
For some reason over the last few weeks every email I recieve has the eamil in the body of the message as well as an attachment with a notepad version of the email. Regardless of who's sending it. Any ideas? It's a little annoying seing attachments for every email. What version of Outlook? Have you rebooted Windows lately? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, HotRod asked: | For some reason over the last ...

Mail merge to email with an attachment
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_004C_01C54401.F8168A50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable When I had office xp - I was able to very easily email a merged document = and send it automatuically to the relevant contacts in my list as an = attachment. I am using custom forms and fields but it worked = beautifully! After and upgrade to 2003 I find I can no longer do this - word just = hangs - I researched a bit and found business manager could do this - = yes - but not with my custom forms and f...

Getting back a deleted test frame after saving the changes
My son just deleted a text frame with all his work and started a new text frame and then when asked if he wanted to save his work he clicked yes. Is there any way to retrieve that missing text frame when it won't allow you to undo? On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:04:01 +0100, Denise wrote (in article <09056FDE-03FC-4988-8AB0-D1EA0896BFC7@microsoft.com>): > My son just deleted a text frame with all his work and started a new text > frame and then when asked if he wanted to save his work he clicked yes. Is > there any way to retrieve that missing text frame when it won't a...

Excel 2007. How do I get un-installed add-ins off the toolbar?
I have 2 Large Icons on the ribbon/toolbar of Excel 2007. These are Omnipage and s-force. Both of these have been uninstalled and I have de-activated both add-ins. How do I get these off the toolbar forever? thanks ...

How do I get a copy of Publisher 2002?
I'd like to get a copy of Publisher 2002. I still have Windows 98 on my computer and don't want to upgrade to XP right at this time. Other than ordering off of e-bay or other sites I'm not familiar with, is it possible to get a copy of Publisher 2002 that would be compatible with Windows 98? Amazon.com -- Don Vancouver, USA "Crystal1365" <Crystal1365@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33518C70-6D02-4E03-B9C2-2C1FDEEB4A68@microsoft.com... > I'd like to get a copy of Publisher 2002. I still have Windows 98 on my > computer and don...

OE removed access to unsafe attachments #2
How do I tell Outlook Express to consider some attachments safe and let me open them? Anyone know? Tools-> Options-> tab Security-> uncheck Do not allow... Note that this is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=InternetExplorer Good Luck! -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tip of the month: -Create your o...

Can't get at downloaded transactions
While Money was going through it's online update I also was in the process of requesting a download of transactions from a bank which uses web statements rather than direct statements. Somehow things must have gotten out of sync so that now Money is showing I have 19 transactions from this institution to review (which is correct) but it doesn't present me with anything to review when I'm in that account. I've tried re-downloading from the bank but that doesn't help. Any ideas how I can access the downloaded transactions? In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote: &...

OUTLOOK Attachment Filter
How do I modify, turn-off, or override the stupid Outlook attachment filter? If I want attachments to be blocked, I want to have the choice, not this program from Microsoft. I've already lost one important attachment. How do I get around it, or kill it outright? JWeinberg The PCMagazine site has a tip that deals with this. It requires you to edit the Registry. (www.pcmag.com/tips/) is the site. Outlook 2002 keeps you from opening attachmentw with extension like .exe or .bat because of the potential for viruses. If you are comfortable editing the system Registry, you can tell...

How do i get send/receive back