This one has me baffled.  We are using Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2000
and have been for 8 months.  No previous problems with attachments
(.doc, .xls, .jpg).

About 2 weeks ago, we started hearing from certain recipients that the
attachment wasn't arriving; instead they were getting an unreadable
file called winmail.dat.   MS says that this is because the sender is
using Rich Text to format the email.  We have changed the senders to
use Plain Text and still have the same problem.  If the email is sent
to several recipients, some will get the attachment fine, some will
not.  This didn't happen before.  These same recipients have gotten
all attachments that were previously sent - up until about 2 weeks
ago.

The only change to the Exchange server was an update to IHateSpam that
was done Sunday 2/13/05.  This problem preceded the IHS update, so I
am not inclined to believe that IHS is the problem (I've been wrong
before...).  We have a user base of around 90, and this is only a
problem for 4 users, and then only some of their recipients.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 06:09:48 GMT, Confused
<DontspamTruckerDave2@yahoo.com> wrote:

>This one has me baffled.  We are using Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2000
>and have been for 8 months.  No previous problems with attachments
>(.doc, .xls, .jpg).
>
>About 2 weeks ago, we started hearing from certain recipients that the
>attachment wasn't arriving; instead they were getting an unreadable
>file called winmail.dat.   MS says that this is because the sender is
>using Rich Text to format the email.  We have changed the senders to
>use Plain Text and still have the same problem.  If the email is sent
>to several recipients, some will get the attachment fine, some will
>not.  This didn't happen before.  These same recipients have gotten
>all attachments that were previously sent - up until about 2 weeks
>ago.
>
>The only change to the Exchange server was an update to IHateSpam that
>was done Sunday 2/13/05.  This problem preceded the IHS update, so I
>am not inclined to believe that IHS is the problem (I've been wrong
>before...).  We have a user base of around 90, and this is only a
>problem for 4 users, and then only some of their recipients.
>
>Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I guess they pointed you at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196784
Did they send you to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138053 as well?
Also, what's the Exchange server doing? It can overide the client
instructions. Check on Global Settings in ESM.

0
mark7219 (5666)
2/15/2005 8:23:37 AM
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:23:37 +0000, "Mark Arnold [MVP]"
<mark@mvps.org> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 06:09:48 GMT, Confused
><DontspamTruckerDave2@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>This one has me baffled.  We are using Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2000
>>and have been for 8 months.  No previous problems with attachments
>>(.doc, .xls, .jpg).
>>
>>About 2 weeks ago, we started hearing from certain recipients that the
>>attachment wasn't arriving; instead they were getting an unreadable
>>file called winmail.dat.   MS says that this is because the sender is
>>using Rich Text to format the email.  We have changed the senders to
>>use Plain Text and still have the same problem.  If the email is sent
>>to several recipients, some will get the attachment fine, some will
>>not.  This didn't happen before.  These same recipients have gotten
>>all attachments that were previously sent - up until about 2 weeks
>>ago.
>>
>>The only change to the Exchange server was an update to IHateSpam that
>>was done Sunday 2/13/05.  This problem preceded the IHS update, so I
>>am not inclined to believe that IHS is the problem (I've been wrong
>>before...).  We have a user base of around 90, and this is only a
>>problem for 4 users, and then only some of their recipients.
>>
>>Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
>
>I guess they pointed you at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196784
>Did they send you to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138053 as well?
>Also, what's the Exchange server doing? It can overide the client
>instructions. Check on Global Settings in ESM.

I looked at those, but they dealt with OWA, not Exchange Server
issues.
I was finally able to resolve the issue by forcing all email to be
sent as plain text from the Exchange server.  I really didn't want to
have to implement this, but now the attachments are going out and my
CEO is happy again.

Thanks for the help.
Confused <DontspamTruckerDave2@yahoo.com> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>I looked at those, but they dealt with OWA, not Exchange Server
>issues.
>I was finally able to resolve the issue by forcing all email to be
>sent as plain text from the Exchange server.  I really didn't want to
>have to implement this, but now the attachments are going out and my
>CEO is happy again.

The attachments were always going with the message. The problem is
that some clients, and servers, don't understand the MIME ms-tnef
encoding and either ignore that MIME body part or mistakenly show the
contents of the MIME body part as if it were part of the text.

For the domains that have this problem you can use UUENCODE to them
instead of MIME, or use HTML. The root of the problem is RTF.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138053 discusses the Exchange server.

--

Andy.
0

Attachments get renamed when received
receive e-mails with attachments that get renamed. Example: User A sends e-mail with attachemnt "test.xls" User B receives attachment as "test.xls 11 26 03 9 29" The only fix that has been found is to delete the time stamp after the .xls. Any Ideas? ...

Get relative Path: advanced workbook linking.
This might be a little off topic, but I'll ask anyway. I work on multiple workbooks. They all calculate a lot of functions and I am forced to create multiple workbooks to do these calculations. Linking to other workbooks basically displays the results of workbook1 and works from there. But... I need to keep an overview of these files, so I store them in different folders all within the same 'master' folder. So let's say: master folder is FolderMaster, and this contains folderA, folderB, folderC. FolderA contains workbookA1, workbookA2; folderB contains workbookB1, work...

thumbnail veiw for attachements if pictures in notes
i need to see the attached file (pictures) with in Notes in thumbnail veiw . same as in Access Form. -- CE-I / E-Business Consultant M. Badie ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-u...

Outlook blocking emails with attachments
I have our Outlook at home set up for 2 users. Mine being the main account. For some reason, I am not receiving any emails with attachments, nor am I getting any error messages. However, the second user on Outlook is receiving emails with attachments. I will send emails from work, with attachments to both accounts and it will only be received in the 2nd account. And the kicker....if I send that email from the 2nd account to mine, I will then get the attachment. Can someone please tell me how to correct this? I'm sure its got to be a simple box to check, but I sure as heck can&#...

Outlook Express Stole My Attachments!!!
I sent some emails from work to myself at home. When I opened the emails, there was a statement at the top of the email something like "OE has removed the following dangerous attachments from your email". It listed ALL the attachments I had sent and my emails were all blank. How do I get my attachments back? How do I prevent this from happening again? Hi - see http://www.omegageek.com/OESecurity.htm Frances wrote: > I sent some emails from work to myself at home. When I > opened the emails, there was a statement at the top of > the email something like "OE...

Outlook's menubar is suddenly gone
My Outlook 2002 (XP) has suddenly lost its menu bar (i.e. no more File Edit View etc.menus). The former toolbar is now the top-most bar in the window. I can - however - call up the menus using Alt-F (for File), Alt-E (for Edit) etc. The menu then shows up near the lower border of the window. I am not aware that I changed or fiddled anything with the menu bar, it just disappeared a few days ago, when I started up Outlook. Any idea what happened and how do I can get the Menubar back??? Michael Try renaming your outcmd.dat file to outcmd.old while Outlook is closed. Outlook will rebu...

server rule to forward (with out attachments)
trying to forward to a blackberry, the bb mail is filling up too fast and I want to see if I can eliminate attachments. thanks in advance. ...

Attachment being stripped when forward email
I have a user with Outlook 2003, when she forward an email with attachment to a particular recipient, it stripped out of the attachment. Is this on the recipient side or sender side? Thanks in advance If it's only one particular recipient, I'd start my research there. "tlam" <tlam@gnf.org> wrote in message news:u5NJ0$xTJHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > I have a user with Outlook 2003, when she forward an email with attachment > to a particular recipient, it stripped out of the attachment. Is this on > the recipient side or sender side? Thanks in a...

Outlook 2002 Trouble sending attachments
I can create an email message and attach files and send them off just fine. But if I open let's say a Word file and click on file, send to, Mail recipient as attachment, nothing happens. I click on send and it doesn't do anything. Does anybody have an idea what is wrong? When you first click on SEND / MAIL RECP / AS ATT / the email window should open showing that you have a WORD doc attached to the email. I then expects you to type in the address of the recp. Then click send. Go to the OUTBOX and see if it is sitting there. If so, press SEND/RECEIVE. The message shoul...

attachment dowloads
I am using xp and outlook 2003. I am unable to show .jpg or .gif files in the body of the email. Is this a problem with Outlook or with me? Bruce & Marg <bridger61@sympatico.ca> wrote: > I am using xp and outlook 2003. I am unable to show .jpg or .gif > files in the body of the email. Is this a problem with Outlook or > with me? No need to ask more than once. -- Brian Tillman ...

How to get totals
Hello all. I have a list I am working with in excel 2003. The columns I am interested in are Employee, Overtime Code, Pay and Comp. There are approximately 50 overtime codes. I need to total the pay and comp columns for each employee. My problem is that if the OT codes are certain numbers, they will not be used in the calcualtions. Like so: EMPLOYEE OT CODE PAY COMP Jones 1 4 0 Jones 6 4 0 Jones 5.02 0 4 Jones 18 2 0 Jones 9 ...

Getting error
We just moved one of our pos lanes to a different computer, we are running version 1.3.1010. After we tender out a transaction and tries to post the transaction, we receive the following Store Operations Business Rules error: Error #-2147217864 Row cannot be located for updating. Some values may have been changed since it was last read. (Source: Microsoft Cursor Engine) (SQL State: ) (NativeError: 32) No Help file available Error in PostTransactionEntries Then after that error, we get a run-time error #5, and get kicked out of POS. If I go to the journal viewer, it does not show the...

download new mail, it gets posted to my Deleted items folder instead of my inbox
When I download new mail, it gets posted to my Deleted items folder instead of my inbox. I can then move my new mail into my inbox. I have checked for macros and rules and have found none that would point this. Any suggestions?? ...

fastest way of getting data into excel
Hi Everyone I am writing an app at the moment which has to import a large amount of data (1m + cells) into excel and am currently using the excel object model to do this. I am using the cells value property to do this i.e 'objsheet.Cells(1,1).value = x' I have noticed that usings the cell object model seem to be very slow is there a faster way of getting the data into excel Cheers.....Ji Hi Import from where? Can't you simply use ODBC query? -- Arvi Laanemets (When sending e-mail, use address arvil<At>tarkon.ee) "jnc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft...

SAVE is not available in Excel under FILE. How do I get it back?
For some reason, SAVE as well as SAVE AS is not available any more under the FILE menu. Also the SAVE icon on the menu is unavailable. What do I need to do to make these available? Just Restore your toolbars. :) See: http://www.officearticles.com/misc/menu_and_toolbar_tips_for_all_microsoft_office_applications.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "ldk" <ldk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F343D089-C40E-45A4-8F11-729F7CD1D76B@microsoft.com... > For some reason, SAVE as well as SAVE AS is not available any more under the > FIL...

Choosing recipients for an attachment in an e-mail
This is a suggestion for future development of Outlook. One funcionality that will be really nice to have when you send an e-mail to several recipients is the possibility to choose which one of them should receive any attachment on the mail. So, i.e. if you're sending a comm to a customer whith some heavy size info attached regarding your products and you're copying any of your colleagues for their info most probably those dudes already have that files and don't make sense to overload their inbox and storage with the same info again. So if you have the ability to choo...

Blocking Attachments #3
Hello, At one time some years back I remember blocking email attachments on my Exchange through the registry. I just recently had to rebuild my exchange server from scratch and for the life of me I can't remember how to perform the task I do have Norton AV for Exchange and MicroTrend for Exchange. I'm running Exchange 5.5 on a Windows NT 4.0 Server box w/all the packs and hotfixes. Please advise how this is done. Thanks in advance, Ray Why not just have ScanMail do it? I've never heard of any way to do this natively (thru registry settings), but seems to me that sinc...

Cannot open .csv files from Outlook attachments
Problem opening up .csv files when they are attachments in Outlook. Get the following error when opening --> "Cannot create file: ***.csv. Right click the folder you want to save it in and check the permissions for the folder". Also receive this error when trying to save file to hard drive from email. Can open .xls files fine from Outlook. Can open .csv files fine when they reside on hard drive. Any ideas?? Thanks I'm not sure if this is an excel error. Just from reading your error message (I've never seen it in real life), it sounds more like Outlook is hav...

Security gets reset
We are currently having a probelm with security. We have two companies-one is live data and one is a copy of live. When we first started we entered everything in the Test/copy of live company and moved it over to the live company (KB#872709). Now when users go into the live company no one has security even though they are setup as power users. I have to go to the Company setup, unmark the security checkbox, log out, log back in and mark the security checkbox again for the users to have access (i.e. entering new account numbers). I have to do this everytime users get into GP. What ...

Where can we get .Net Assembly that creates the Sharepoint Web Sit
In the launch Microsoft demonstrated how to call a .Net assembly in a workflow that created a sharepoint web site. Can anyone send us how to do this with the example? Thanks. Ivan -- Ivan Cole "Ivan Cole" <IvanCole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > In the launch Microsoft demonstrated how to call a .Net assembly in a > workflow that created a sharepoint web site. Can anyone send us how to do > this with the example? See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmbscrm3/html/mbs_crmServicePortal.asp (that URL is all on one line...

Can't send attachments #2
I can't send attachments from outlook that originate on my computer. I can, however, forward e-mails with attachments and the recipients receive them. Please help! Thanks. ...

Attachments, Global Address List, Security
Help, please, somebody! I’ve tried looking on Microsoft’s troubleshooting and IT help et. al. and I have 4 books and I’m getting no answers. I am depending on the kindness of strangers. My setup: Win 2k Server, Win 2k Exchange Server, client Outlooks are 2002. I set up Outlook Web Access, so that people could access their email from the internet when they were out of office. It required that I use “Outlook Today mailboxes” and not the Personal Folders. But whereas Personal folders have some privacy inside the network, I discovered that, within our network, by using Outlook—Fil...

Windows 7 64bit, Outlook 2007 and Word 2007 Email attachment issue
Windows 7 64bit, Outlook 2007 and Word 2007 Email attachment issues. When I try to attach a word document to an email I get the error: Word has encountered a problem. There is a problem saving the file. Usually this is because the disk or floppy disk is too small for the file oris full, Ram memory is low, or there is a permission prblem witht he drive the file is being saved to. I can just close the error message and keep working and everything works fine, but it will come up everytime I attach a Word Document. I have tried the following to fix this with no success: 1) Mad...

Get highlighted numbers to SUM instead of NUM @bottom of screen?
When you highlight a column of numbers the bottome of the screen shows the number of cells highlighted. How do I change it to show the SUM of the highlighted cells? Hi You need to right-click on that number and a list of otions will appear, including SUM, AVERAGE etc. Andy. "jimbo" <jimbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B13BEE0A-1A22-4029-A823-6865BDB967AA@microsoft.com... > When you highlight a column of numbers the bottome of the screen shows the > number of cells highlighted. How do I change it to show the SUM of the > highlighted cells? ...

How to make a pic. attachement be previewed before I open it?
How can I (pre)view a picture attached with an email before open the email? I mean in OUTLOOK ofcourse! Thank you... "Mr. Nemo" wrote: > How can I (pre)view a picture attached with an email before open the email? Mr. Nemo <Mr. Nemo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How can I (pre)view a picture attached with an email before open the > email? Nope. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...