SMTP works intermittently after FE servers set as NLB pair

After setting two FE servers in an NLB pair (both with smtp previously
working), some mail servers cannot open SMTP sockets to the FE NLB pair. IT
seems to be only windows boxes odly enough. When i create the pair, OWA, OMA
and Activesync work fine as does a telnet to port 25. However, some machines
cannot telnet to port 25..all machines in question that have proven unable to
access are running win2k or win2k3....sendmail and qmail can open a smtp
session to the NLB pair just fine. ANy ideas?
0
knightly (222)

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:12:02 -0700, knightly
<knightly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>After setting two FE servers in an NLB pair (both with smtp previously
>working), some mail servers cannot open SMTP sockets to the FE NLB pair. IT
>seems to be only windows boxes odly enough. When i create the pair, OWA, OMA
>and Activesync work fine as does a telnet to port 25. However, some machines
>cannot telnet to port 25..all machines in question that have proven unable to
>access are running win2k or win2k3....sendmail and qmail can open a smtp
>session to the NLB pair just fine. ANy ideas?

Ignore SMTP for a moment then. Do you ever have problems connecting to
the actual SMTP by node names or is it the balanced name that's the
problem?

0
mark7219 (5666)
7/20/2006 8:21:02 PM
Unfortunately i can only test the balanced name from the relay servers in
question....they are at a colo with just inet connectivity back to HQ where
the FE servers are located behind a firewall with a 1 to 1 NAT set setup
though if that makes a difference.

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:12:02 -0700, knightly
> <knightly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >After setting two FE servers in an NLB pair (both with smtp previously
> >working), some mail servers cannot open SMTP sockets to the FE NLB pair. IT
> >seems to be only windows boxes odly enough. When i create the pair, OWA, OMA
> >and Activesync work fine as does a telnet to port 25. However, some machines
> >cannot telnet to port 25..all machines in question that have proven unable to
> >access are running win2k or win2k3....sendmail and qmail can open a smtp
> >session to the NLB pair just fine. ANy ideas?
>
> Ignore SMTP for a moment then. Do you ever have problems connecting to
> the actual SMTP by node names or is it the balanced name that's the
> problem?

0
knightly (222)

Message Rules Have Stopped Working
Hello...I am running Outlook XP on Windows XP. A while back, I upgraded to Office 2K3 then later decided to move back to Office XP. Since doing so, my Outlook message rules have ceased to function. They are still listed, but Outlook ignores them like they don't exist. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook to no avail. What can I do to get them working again. Thanks for any advice! ...

Recovering deleted mails when retention policy is set
If the "recover deleted mails" option does not show any mails available to recover, how do i restore a users deleted mails? We have a retention policy set, and I'm wondering if the mails are retained somewhere on the exchange server even if they don't show as available for reovery via Outlook? if the emails were "hard deleted", see this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246153/en-us if they don't show up there, either, the user has gone into the dumpster and "purged" email...your only option after that is to restore from backup... -- Susan Con...

Hyperlinks from email not working
WHen I click on a hyperlink from within an email nothing happens. Outlook XP running on Windows 2000 with IE 6.0, all patches are applied. I can copy and paste the link into IE and the page will display, I just can't click the link from within an email. If I have IE opened and then click the link from the email - it still doesn't work. Any ideas? Thanks, Kris ...

Pie charts won't work porperly
When i try to create a pie chart two things happen. First, the chart is created all ni the same colors. Even with "vary colors by slice" selected, the chart is all one color. Second it is created such that it's default size is very tiny and almost impossible to resize. I don't know if this is related, but when I try to create charts of any other type, the axis titles automatically default to titles that were used along time ago, before a reinstallation of windows. I'm running windows 98. Thanks for any help. Mike Mike - Sounds like you have some undesirabl...

Can't get imported address book to work right
I have an outlook address book I saved. It comes up in Outlook Express, but it doesn't integrate itself. (Where it comes up as a window in the lower left corner like it should.) How can I fix it ? Thanks. You might want to post more accurate information. Outlook does not even have an address book. What do you mean? I suspect you aren't even asking about Outlook, are you? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "HandyMan" <luke77561@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1181348733.851379.220610@q69g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... >I have an outlook address book I saved. It come...

email settings
I have copied pst file from one laptop to another (both 2002). Doesn't matter how much I read, I can't figure out how to get the email accounts over. Help. In news:1DC05BFE-0CE3-436E-AD63-73A06E019B9A@microsoft.com, MonB <MonB@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I have copied pst file from one laptop to another (both 2002). > Doesn't matter how much I read, I can't figure out how to get the > email accounts over. Help. You can't easily do this, not without playing in the registry, I believe. I usually just recreate the accounts. The file & setti...

Exchange using SMTP Auth as a client
We need to configure our Exchange Server to get mail from another server as a client using SMTP Auth. I'm a long way from knowing much about Exchange, but if anyone could steer me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. dlzink@facetcomputers.com Exchange isn't a mail client and can't be configured to "get" e-mail from other servers. Can you please explain in greater detail exactly what you are trying to do? -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "DavidZ121&...

Excel graph 3 sets of data. 2 sets as lines 1 as column?
I have data a bit like below, I am trying to do a graph, which shows the AFR as columns for A-D, but I want 'water' and 'whole' as seperate lines to show current scores across the graph. When I do the graph, I get two columns and 1 line. Does anyone know how to get to get the two lines? A B C D AFR 0.8 0.6 0.4 0.3 Water 0.5 0.5 0.5 0.5 Whole 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 Hi AndyN, On the chart, select the second column, right-click, select Chart Type from the context menu, select line chart. Ed Ferrero www.edferrero.com Ed Thanks for that worked a treat, I'll remember that ...

returning to file previously worked on after closing it.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel In Appleworks, whenever I returned to the file I had been using (eg the manuscript I had been working on) the last page I had been editing would open up. But in Word, it always opens at the first page of the document and i have to scroll down many pages to reach the page I had been last working on. <br> Is there a short cut? A couple of the simplest & most direct solutions: Once the file opens key Command+End. If using a laptop or compact keyboard you may need to use the fn key along with that. ...

This News Server and Spam
Ever since posting a message to this board three weeks ago, I am receiving 8 top 10 virus messages a day (the one that looks like it's from Microsoft teilling me to update a critical patch) to my inbox. Is there any way I can withdraw my previous message and/or get rid of these incoming pests? Or do I just have to put up with it and let my antivirus software deal with it? Thanks. in outlook express, create a rule to delete it off the server Tools / Message Rules / Mail and so on John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com "Blue Yonder" <dontbotherme@nos...

how to programatically set other than default email account as the sender
I was trying programatically to send an email. It was always using the default account as the sender. 1) Is it possible to change the default account programatically. 2) or atleast can i set some other account as sender in my program You don't say which OL you're using. In OL2002 - Tools > Send/receive settings > Define Send/receive groups. Here you can set the accounts you want to send and/or receive mail to (1.change default). Also (or alternatively) , after setting up your email accounts - when composing an email, select Accounts > and choose which account to send from...

Working with Invoices
Is there a step-by-step instruction book that covers working with XL Invoices? No, but have you consulted the help file provided with the template? -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Harry B" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33b401c48796$c81833d0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a step-by-step instruction book that covers > working with XL Invoices? ...

property page with COM control inside .dll does not work!
Hi, all I am trying to make a MFC extension DLL in which there is a property page, and there is a COM control(Windows Media Player) in this property page. And I use this function in dll to create the property page: __declspec(dllexport) CPropertyPage* TE_newPage(); I call this function to create a property page in my .exe project and add it to my property sheet. I can compile this project with success but this property page does not work. The Application can run withou error messages, and the property page can be seen. But once you click the tab, it just disppears! And the Media Player COM...

how to set up
how do i set up, my microsoft outlook mail, so i can use this easier than yahoo or anything else.? Anything more specific? Ask your ISP for the server settings so you can receive your mail in Outlook. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tip of the month: -Create your own fully customized Toolbar Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your mailbox! www.sparnaaij.net (I changed my reply address; remove all CAPS and _underscores_ from the address when mailing...

Outlook rule does not work
I am trying to handle some of the spam I get by using Outlook (2003) Rules. I have created a rule where if the body of the message contains the word 'hoodia' to delete the message. It simply does not work. I can see the word, and it is not obfuscated using any HTML tricks, but when I run the rule, the message is not deleted. Any ideas? Judging by the lack of response, should I assume that Outlook 2k3 rules just don't work? Thanks rswoods <rswoods7@gmail.com> wrote: > I am trying to handle some of the spam I get by using Outlook (2003) > Rules. I have created ...

Exch Server 2003 External Email Addresses
This is probably the most basic of questions and the easiest to answer - except if like me you have just had your Exch 5.5 replaced with Exch 2003 and have only the installation CD. How/where do you enter addresses for external email recipients???? In 5.5 it was straight forward - make up a Custom Recipient. But I cannot find out how to do it in this "modern version". I've even searched here, google and MS but either I'm using the wrong criteria or its too basic to have been asked........ Any advice please, to retain my sanity Cheers Stan Just go into Active Directory ...

set a timer
Hi All I have a procedure that connect to a database and gets data in a several steps .and it is necessary to show the name of each steps to user( in label1.capation) in a user form,It works fast and user just can see the last step name , how can I control the showing of them in two or more seconds? My procedure like this: dim SQL1 as string dim SQL2 as string connection string ..... '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''...

Counting occurances of pairs of values
I have 2 columns in my spreadsheet, I would like to be able to count the number of times pairs of values occur, e.g. col a | col b ------+------ foo | yes bar | yes foo | no foo | yes bar | yes bar | yes I'd like to search for all 'foo' AND 'yes' and then all 'bar' AND 'yes', so that I can generate a table: search | count -------+------ foo | 2 bar | 3 I've tried various combos of COUNTIF, SUM/IF but with no success. Anyone any ideas? Cheers -- Martin Hi Try using: =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A50="foo")*(B2:B50="yes")) a...

How to transfer the Ex.server 5.5 to a New Machine
Hi, I have an Ex server 5.5 on NT4 PDC & needs to Re install NT server & Ex. Server on new machine as a PDC & transwer the mailboxers Can I do this? Pl. help Aanur On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:09:05 +0600, "Aanur" <kglkatu@jb.slt.lk> wrote: >Hi, > >I have an Ex server 5.5 on NT4 PDC & needs to Re install NT server & Ex. >Server on new machine as a PDC & transwer the mailboxers Can I do this? > >Pl. help > >Aanur > Google "Ed Crowley Server Move Method" ...

How to categorize transfers and reimbursements from work
Hi. I am having trouble categorizing transfers from one account to another, or reimbursements from work. For example, when I transfer money from one account, it comes across as a blank category and it isn't an expense or income, because I have already categorizes the underlyng expenses or income. Same idea with a reimbursement from work. I get a check from work that is an expense account payment, and I have already spend the money, so it doesn't fit. Now my income and expenses reports show this massive category of "unassigned." How are other folks doing it? Some ...

copy Outgoing mails via the server
how can i copy all the outgoing mails via the server to another mail box ? click properties on the store object, and there you have an option to fowored all mails to a specific mailbox. "Indika Gamage" <indikag@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:04d501c46e2b$a7c06730$a401280a@phx.gbl... > how can i copy all the outgoing mails via the server to > another mail box ? what u mean by store object? pls explane the steps >-----Original Message----- >click properties on the store object, and there you have an option to >fowored all mails to a specific mailbox. &...

Can't access Report Server
I've installed SQL Server 2008 (dev) on my XP box and am trying to get Reporting Services working. According to the Reporting Services Configuration Manager, the URL is: http://jay:8080/ReportServer_MSSQL2008 However, I have not been able to get the app to come up as there is either a permission issue, or connection problem. I've tried granting share access to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSSQL2008\Reporting Services\ReportManager folder and I've tried adding port 8080 to the allowed list in the firewall. "Jay" <spam@nospam...

Why doesn't this work???
I'm trying to get a name to pop up in a message box from my listbox that I select, and I cannot for the life of me get the code below to work!!! Private Sub lstCloseoutAttendees_Click() Dim ctl As Control, intCurrentRow As Integer Set ctl = Me.lstCloseoutAttendees 'Listbox For intCurrentRow = 0 To ctl.ListCount - 1 If ctl.Selected(intCurrentRow) Then MsgBox ctlList.Column(2, intCurrentRow) End If Next intCurrentRow End Sub What are you expecting it to do? What does it do instead? You hopefully realize that ctlList.Column(2, intCurrentRow) ...

I spent three weeks trying to get my Money 2004 working...
My Money 2004 was working but all of a sudden stopped starting. When it starts, it pops up an error window complaining about mscofd.dll. I have tried everyting - reinstalling Money, registering some dll, etc. I opened a support case with Microsoft and talked to three support people, two from Money support and one from Windows. The solution - reformat hard drive, reinstall OS and all programs. What a waste of my time! Not sure I am going to do that... I did have some Trojan viruses before, but now the system is clean. I reinstall Windows (upgrade) put SP4, IE6 and all hotfixes.. Still n...

I would like to make a schedule for my dept. Who works what days . #2
I am supervisor for a nursing dept. I need to make a schedule for them to follow as to who works when and what shift. I need to be sure they all get the hours that they are required to work. Is there a template that would help me and be able to sort things out in the schedule as well? Go to the Office Template Gallery. Do a search for Schedules. There is one for Employee Shift Schedule. There may also be others you could use also. Regards, S Stone "Chiki" wrote: > I am supervisor for a nursing dept. I need to make a schedule for them to > follow as to who works w...