SMTP Question

Good morning,
I have an exchange 2003 server in one of our clients office which happens to 
be a law firm. They are working on a class-action law suit which requires 
they send out very large attachments to many users at a time. 
this has caused internet slowdowns b/c the emails are stacking-up in the 
queue and taking a very long time to procees; thus slowing down the internet 
to a crawl.  ( we have a standard dsl network)

is there a way to modify the default the stmp settings, so during the times 
these messages are being sent, it does not use all my internet bandwidth.

Are there any good configuration guide lines within exchange/smtp  to 
alleviate the bottle-neck of sending these large attachments to groups of 
users.

How do the large companies configure there servers to  handle such 
situations ?

thanks,

-- 
Colin Camp
0
ColinCamp (60)
9/19/2006 4:28:02 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

5 Replies
581 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 17

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:28:02 -0700, ColinCamp
<ColinCamp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Good morning,
>I have an exchange 2003 server in one of our clients office which happens to 
>be a law firm. They are working on a class-action law suit which requires 
>they send out very large attachments to many users at a time. 
>this has caused internet slowdowns b/c the emails are stacking-up in the 
>queue and taking a very long time to procees; thus slowing down the internet 
>to a crawl.  ( we have a standard dsl network)
>
>is there a way to modify the default the stmp settings, so during the times 
>these messages are being sent, it does not use all my internet bandwidth.

Not within Exchange. You can use a SMTP connector to send large
messages at specfic times ( after hours for example)
You would need a 3rd party product or the built-in abilities of your
firewall/routers to use bandwidth limiting and quality of service.
>
>Are there any good configuration guide lines within exchange/smtp  to 
>alleviate the bottle-neck of sending these large attachments to groups of 
>users.

Get a bigger boat. 
>
>How do the large companies configure there servers to  handle such 
>situations ?
>

Large companies typically have enough bandwidth to handle mail and web
browsing.

>thanks,
0
adavid (8731)
9/19/2006 4:35:29 PM
On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:35:29 -0400, Andy David - MVP
<adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:28:02 -0700, ColinCamp
><ColinCamp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Good morning,
>>I have an exchange 2003 server in one of our clients office which happens to 
>>be a law firm. They are working on a class-action law suit which requires 
>>they send out very large attachments to many users at a time. 
>>this has caused internet slowdowns b/c the emails are stacking-up in the 
>>queue and taking a very long time to procees; thus slowing down the internet 
>>to a crawl.  ( we have a standard dsl network)
>>
>>is there a way to modify the default the stmp settings, so during the times 
>>these messages are being sent, it does not use all my internet bandwidth.
>
>Not within Exchange. You can use a SMTP connector to send large
>messages at specfic times ( after hours for example)
>You would need a 3rd party product or the built-in abilities of your
>firewall/routers to use bandwidth limiting and quality of service.
>>
>>Are there any good configuration guide lines within exchange/smtp  to 
>>alleviate the bottle-neck of sending these large attachments to groups of 
>>users.
>
>Get a bigger boat. 

And if possible, use file shares and/or web sites/ftp to link to
documents rather than sending via email. 

>>
>>How do the large companies configure there servers to  handle such 
>>situations ?
>>
>
>Large companies typically have enough bandwidth to handle mail and web
>browsing.
>
>>thanks,
0
adavid (8731)
9/19/2006 4:43:02 PM
Andy-
you can omit the smart-axx comments next time son.
-- 
Colin Camp


"Andy David - MVP" wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:35:29 -0400, Andy David - MVP
> <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:
> 
> >On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:28:02 -0700, ColinCamp
> ><ColinCamp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Good morning,
> >>I have an exchange 2003 server in one of our clients office which happens to 
> >>be a law firm. They are working on a class-action law suit which requires 
> >>they send out very large attachments to many users at a time. 
> >>this has caused internet slowdowns b/c the emails are stacking-up in the 
> >>queue and taking a very long time to procees; thus slowing down the internet 
> >>to a crawl.  ( we have a standard dsl network)
> >>
> >>is there a way to modify the default the stmp settings, so during the times 
> >>these messages are being sent, it does not use all my internet bandwidth.
> >
> >Not within Exchange. You can use a SMTP connector to send large
> >messages at specfic times ( after hours for example)
> >You would need a 3rd party product or the built-in abilities of your
> >firewall/routers to use bandwidth limiting and quality of service.
> >>
> >>Are there any good configuration guide lines within exchange/smtp  to 
> >>alleviate the bottle-neck of sending these large attachments to groups of 
> >>users.
> >
> >Get a bigger boat. 
> 
> And if possible, use file shares and/or web sites/ftp to link to
> documents rather than sending via email. 
> 
> >>
> >>How do the large companies configure there servers to  handle such 
> >>situations ?
> >>
> >
> >Large companies typically have enough bandwidth to handle mail and web
> >browsing.
> >
> >>thanks,
> 
0
ColinCamp (60)
9/19/2006 5:37:02 PM
On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:37:02 -0700, ColinCamp
<ColinCamp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Andy-
>you can omit the smart-axx comments next time son.

Sorry you feel that way. That wasnt my intention.


0
adavid (8731)
9/19/2006 5:49:01 PM
I didn't see anything smart axx about it and I know all about smart axx.
It was straight up. You need more bandwidth.

"ColinCamp" <ColinCamp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:54270D41-12AC-4B76-B3F6-3477D7213232@microsoft.com...
> Andy-
> you can omit the smart-axx comments next time son.
> -- 
> Colin Camp
>
>
> "Andy David - MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:35:29 -0400, Andy David - MVP
>> <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:
>>
>> >On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:28:02 -0700, ColinCamp
>> ><ColinCamp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >>Good morning,
>> >>I have an exchange 2003 server in one of our clients office which 
>> >>happens to
>> >>be a law firm. They are working on a class-action law suit which 
>> >>requires
>> >>they send out very large attachments to many users at a time.
>> >>this has caused internet slowdowns b/c the emails are stacking-up in 
>> >>the
>> >>queue and taking a very long time to procees; thus slowing down the 
>> >>internet
>> >>to a crawl.  ( we have a standard dsl network)
>> >>
>> >>is there a way to modify the default the stmp settings, so during the 
>> >>times
>> >>these messages are being sent, it does not use all my internet 
>> >>bandwidth.
>> >
>> >Not within Exchange. You can use a SMTP connector to send large
>> >messages at specfic times ( after hours for example)
>> >You would need a 3rd party product or the built-in abilities of your
>> >firewall/routers to use bandwidth limiting and quality of service.
>> >>
>> >>Are there any good configuration guide lines within exchange/smtp  to
>> >>alleviate the bottle-neck of sending these large attachments to groups 
>> >>of
>> >>users.
>> >
>> >Get a bigger boat.
>>
>> And if possible, use file shares and/or web sites/ftp to link to
>> documents rather than sending via email.
>>
>> >>
>> >>How do the large companies configure there servers to  handle such
>> >>situations ?
>> >>
>> >
>> >Large companies typically have enough bandwidth to handle mail and web
>> >browsing.
>> >
>> >>thanks,
>> 


0
exchangemvp (657)
9/19/2006 6:57:22 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

OWA Question #8
I am converting from OWA for Exchange 5.5 to OWA 2003. Some people have the OWA site bookmarked with https://servername/exchange/logon.asp If they use that link they get a 404 error saying page can not be found. I need to find out where I can put the logon.asp page so it will redirect them to the correct URL. Any information would be helpful. Thank you, Kyle On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:14:58 -0800, "Kyle D" <kyle@nospam.com> wrote: >I am converting from OWA for Exchange 5.5 to OWA 2003. Some people have the >OWA site bookmarked with https://servername/exchange/l...

Reading pane general question
I'm using Outlook 2007 (under Vista Home premium) and very recently I noticed that many (if not all) of the folders under my InBox, and I have a lot, were configured with the Reading Pane abled. I do not use that feature and the change surprised me. I could see how I might have accidentally clicked that option for one folder but not folders that I rarely use. I went back and manually disabled the Reading Pane from those folders (75+ folders, in various groups, grouped under the InBox). Any thoughts on how this could have happened? I'm more curious than annoyed. Any thoughts?...

Remove User Question
Hi, I have an user on SBS 2003 with an exchange account that I want to remove but I want to keep his email. If I backup exchange to tape via Veritas. Can I restore this mailbox if needed? Thanks On Tue, 2 May 2006 11:21:02 -0600, "matt" <matt@no.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I have an user on SBS 2003 with an exchange account that I want to remove >but I want to keep his email. If I backup exchange to tape via Veritas. >Can I restore this mailbox if needed? > >Thanks > I would export it to a pst and then copy that to something like a CD. On Tue, 2...

SS2008 + Exchange Question
SBS2008 Std I recently starting have a problem with clients using Outlook telling about pop-ups looking for credentials and being called from the remote.mydomain.com After some research it appears that Exchange 2007 Roll-up 9 fixes this problem. Q1 - How do I tell which version/sp is currently installed on the SBS. The console says 08.01.0240.006 (which I'm pretty sure is sp1) but it does not say that. Q2 - Why has windows update not picked this roll-up 9 up and asked me to install? Q3 - I'm assuming if I manually download the roll-up 9 I want the 64bit to ...

Check Box Question
I have a user form with several Check Boxes that are for controlling worksheets in a workbook. Each check box is for hiding or unhiding the different worksheets in a workbook from the user form2. Workbook name = Installer Forms Worksheet name = Sheet 1 Checkbox names = Office_Package_Preparations_101 I want when the Box is checked for the worksheet to be shown and when the box is not checked for the worksheet to be hidden. Hi Brian, Important consideration is that you cannot hide all sheets so must test for at least 2 visible sheets before hiding a sheet. If...

Conditional formatting Question #17
Excel 2003 I want one cell conditionally formatted based upon the value in another cell. EX: Text in c3 is RED if the value in cell h3 is less them .70 Thanks Dave Select C3, and click on Format | Conditional Formatting. Choose Formula Is in the first box rather than Cell Value Is, and enter this formula in the next box: =3DH3<0.7 Then click the Format button, and choose your Colour. If you want to affect the background colour as well then click the Patterns tab and choose a colour. Then OK your way out (twice). Hope this helps. Pete On Jul 29, 3:28=A0pm, "Dave" <...

Question about KillFocus()
Hi everyone, Can I post this: PostMessage(WM_KILLFOCUS, NULL, 0); I have a CListBox that I want to lock while being able to select items in it and show the selection. What I want to do is post the message above whenever the list is in focus. Right now, in the OnSetfocus() message handler of my dialog, I do: m_stcListTitle.SetFocus(); where 'm_stcListTitle' is the static control of the list's title. This is working fine; but I want to create a class derived from CListBox to handle this. I appreciate any help. Thank you, Geo >Can I post this: PostMessage(WM_KILLFOCUS, N...

Issue enterting time in My Tasks and Question about Assignment Own
Hi! My company is in the process of rolling out onto PS 07 (we are upgrading from PS 03). We've put on service pack 2, followed all the directions, got our server up and running with the new time phase view in My Tasks. When we had done initial testing with dummy projects the time phase worked GREAT! Prefect for us since we only want to track project time and not make it too confusing for our users with having to import between timesheets and tasks (resources do need to be babied and cuddled to keep them happy!). We have our Task Settings and Display set up as follows: ...

SMTP with SSL or not ?
Hello, I just would like to have your opinion about creating a smtp virtual server with SSL protocol for our user to send mail. Is there a big security trouble with using a simple smtp connection like POP3 ..?? Thanks for your answer. Bye ! Obviously, if you set up SMTP and POP3 and require that the clients connect via SSL to each one, it will be more secure than not. Given that the majority of ISP's in the world do NOT require SSL, though, whether it is a security risk or not is really up to you. The main difference is that with an ISP, user accounts likely only have permiss...

Licensing question #2
Hi, Exchange 2000, per seat licensing. I've deleted the AD account and mailbox a long time ago for a number of users, however, they are still using an Exchange license according to Licensing. Is this expected? Do I have to delete the license every time I delete a mailbox? Thanks, Peter On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:43:29 +0700, noemail@com.com wrote: >Hi, > >Exchange 2000, per seat licensing. I've deleted the AD account and >mailbox a long time ago for a number of users, however, they are still >using an Exchange license according to Licensing. > >Is this expec...

How do you generate classes from an .xsd file?? newbie question
Hello, I am working on a VB.NET web service that will be used to send and receive job openings. I found a site called "hr-xml consortium" "The HR-XML Consortium is an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to the development and promotion of a standard suite of XML specifications to enable e-business and the automation of human resources-related data exchanges." I would like to use their xsd file http://ns.hr-xml.org/2_2/HR-XML-2_2/SEP/PositionOpening.xsd which specifies the formatting for job openings. This xsd file makes use of other xsd files on the si...

Addressing question
Good morning, We have just migrated from Groupwise to Exchange 2k3. Most/all clients are using OWA. Unless I'm wrong, it seems there's only two ways to address messages: completely type the recipients name or click To... > start typing a name > click find > select the name > click To...> click close. I'm using Outlook 2000 and it seems to be just about the same. I'm completely new to Exchange and if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate any advice. Outlook 2000 client will let you browse Address Lists - when you click on the To: button or the Addre...

CRM Sales For Outlook Question
Whenever I go offline, I see the message "If data validation needs to be performed, the exchange type must be bidirectional" in the Downloading Status dialog box. Should I be seeing this message or is there a problem. you have a problem..i have never seen this one before -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Brian Hanks" <BrianHanks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1B98078-9011-4149-B941-A3879FA35560@microsoft.com... > Whenever I go offline, I see the message "If data validation needs to be > performed, the...

Tracking down an SMTP address
Whats the best way to find what object (mailbox or pub folder) that an SMTP address is tied to. There's an addy that exsists in my Exchange environment (accepts mail), but I cannot find the parent object ??? Thanks ... if it's a mailbox, if you type in the address in a new email and execute a control K, it should resolve to the mailbox name...if it's a public folder, send an email with a "delivery reciept" on it... "Matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31aa01c3fd40$870a9da0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > > Whats the best w...

SMTP command runs slow
Recently i've been getting complains from my users that sending e-mails takes long time. When i run the SMTP commands from a telnet window it gets stuck for 20 secs on the command RCPT TO:emailaddress Anyone have any ideas on what could cause this? Is this a POP/IMAP user complaining, or is this inbound SMTP from the internet? <djxtc@spray.se> wrote in message news:eDl52aAQHHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Recently i've been getting complains from my users that sending e-mails > takes long time. > > When i run the SMTP commands from a telnet window it ge...

retrieving my questions
I am still learning how to use this system to it's fullest. How can I locate the questions I have asked in the past? Is there an easy way? -- Zunibear in Montana It depends upon how you are viewing this forum. If using Outlook Express, make sure your view is set for all messages. You could then sort by "From". If you don't want to loose the threaded response view, don't sort, but you probably have a copy of any post you did in the "Sent Items" folder in Outlook Express. Look there, find the one you are interested in, and scroll to that date in the f...

OWA login question; being forced to include domain name in all caps
I have two Exchange OWA servers, one that I just added and another that is being retired. On the retiring system, I had set OWA so that users could just add their user name and password to log in, and it worked just fine. But, on the new system, even though I set the server to use the default domain (in IIS), when users log in, not only to they have to preface their user name with the domain name, the domain name must be in ALL CAPS. I'm a bit mystified by that, and I'm sure I've just left out some small detail, but I can't figure out what it is. Any suggestions? Thanks. ...

Thanks for not answering my question
I used to answer here & there & many were thankful. Now that my own post has remained unanswered for 2 days, I won't be helping others. People are a-holes when you help them, yet they sit back & relax when it's your turn to ask for help. And I think this will be a better place without you -- -- "Stan Starinski" <China@stealsUSJobsPatentsSoftwareMusicVideo> wrote in message news:uVMJMtaeKHA.3748@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I used to answer here & there & many were thankful. > Now that my own post has remained unanswered f...

enterprise or standard that is the question
how can i tell wich version i am running?' Thanks http://www.petri.co.il/what's_my_exchange_2000_2003_version.htm If you are running 2003, method 2 is easiest..... "Skipster" <Skipster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:17CC3374-A12F-4133-89B5-BDD432F03B0F@microsoft.com... > how can i tell wich version i am running?' > > > Thanks ...

OWA Question #18
Hi: How can I refer to OWA without tagging the /exchange at the ned of the URL. say owa.mydomain.com thanks "Joe" <a@a.com> wrote: >How can I refer to OWA without tagging the /exchange at the ned of the URL. >say owa.mydomain.com Redirect to the /Exchange URL. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm Don't send mail to this address mailto:h.pott@getronics.com Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com ...

What does "SMTP Authenticate" mean?
This error message was received when Outlook bounced back an email I sent, it would be nice if they told me what SMTP Authenticate means and how to do it. Help please... Bob ********************************************* The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why each recipient was rejected. Recipient: <staff@thetrophyshop.com> Reason: You must SMTP Authenticate before sending to staff@thetrophyshop.com Hi Bob, have a look on this sites: What means SMTP Authenticate? http://www.cablecom.ch/en/smtp How to configure Outlook SMTP Authenticate: http://...

Delegating users to add SMTP addresses
Doe's anybody know how I can delegate a user the permissions to add SMTP addresses to a mail enabled user? Regards, Kjetil That question has been posed a number of times on the forum but I'm not certain there has ever been a definitive answer. As I'm sure you know you'll can use the delegate control wizard in AD to give them permissons to modify the user object but you'll also need to make them an Exchange View Only Admin at the very least. Nue "Kjetil" <Kjetil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5CAE2DB1-F30A-42AB-ABF7-A574DEF090B7@mi...

SRS SQL Question
I am a novice with SQL query writting and I'm looking for some direction. I have created a new SRS report to give our sales group a summary of open quotes. The sales group requested that the report be grouped by territory. So far, the query I have written will produce all quotes associated with a seleted territory. Here is the select statement using report parameters to select the status and territory: SELECT name, customeridname, statecodename, totalamount, quoteid, quotenumber, revisionnumber, owneridname, createdon, accountidname, billto_city, bill...

Newbie Subclassed Constructor Questions
Hi, I've subclassed the listbox control so I can make it do what I require, it has 2 constructors. I am using the new List Box in a dialog based mfc app. CListBoxEx::CListBoxEx() CListBoxEx::CListBoxEx(UINT FileFlags, CString FileSpec) After a bit of searching I found some example code showing how these constructors should be called. So I have the following in my Dialog based class: CViceMP3Dlg::CViceMP3Dlg(CWnd* pParent /*=NULL*/) : CDialog(CViceMP3Dlg::IDD, pParent), m_lbMP3List(DDL_READWRITE, _T("*.*")) with m_lbMP3List being the ListBoxEx variable. my question i...

SMTP Virtual server #9
How do I configure the Default SMTP Virtual Server to relay email to Exchange? -- Arne Garvander (I program VB.Net for fun and C# to get paid.) On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:12:02 -0700, Arne Garvander <ArneGarvander@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I configure the Default SMTP Virtual Server to relay email to Exchange? to Exchange? Not sure what you are asking. How does the the default SMTP virutal server know which mail server to send the mail t? I have one relay that works, but when I look at the properties, the entry for smart server is blank. -- Arne Garvander (I pro...