SMTP on MS EXCHANGE 2000 Server

I have an exchange server set up in our environment but the clients
have been set up as pop clients and not as exchange clients. I wont go
into the details as to why we have gone for that. The question is that
when a client sets its pop server as "abc.mail.com" it receives mails
so thats fine but when it writes "abc.mail.com" in SMTP it doesnt send
and gives an error as NO TRANSPORT SERVER AVAILABLE. At the moment the
clients are using the ISP's SMTP.

SMTP connector has been created on mail server and if a client is
setup as an EXCHANGE client then there are no issues, exchange is able
to send and receive email normally but we dont want to set it that
way. We want clients as POP clients.

Moreover could someone demonstrate the path taken by an email if
routed through an ISP's SMTP to the locally existent MAIL SERVER. Does
it go to the internet cloud or is ISA server smart enough to recognize
that this mail server is existent on the LAN only?

Would be looking for a few constructive replies. Thanx in advance.

Umar Pirzada

"Umar Pirzada" wrote:

> I have an exchange server set up in our environment but the clients
> have been set up as pop clients and not as exchange clients. I wont go
> into the details as to why we have gone for that. The question is that
> when a client sets its pop server as "abc.mail.com" it receives mails
> so thats fine but when it writes "abc.mail.com" in SMTP it doesnt send
> and gives an error as NO TRANSPORT SERVER AVAILABLE. At the moment the
> clients are using the ISP's SMTP.
>
> SMTP connector has been created on mail server and if a client is
> setup as an EXCHANGE client then there are no issues, exchange is able
> to send and receive email normally but we dont want to set it that
> way. We want clients as POP clients.
>
> Moreover could someone demonstrate the path taken by an email if
> routed through an ISP's SMTP to the locally existent MAIL SERVER. Does
> it go to the internet cloud or is ISA server smart enough to recognize
> that this mail server is existent on the LAN only?
>
> Would be looking for a few constructive replies. Thanx in advance.
>
> Umar Pirzada

Hi Pirzada,
If you r using OL2000 and u have configured two profiles for one user.This
problem can occur.So u have to either configure the profile for pop or mapi.

regards

Shivakumar

"Umar Pirzada" wrote:

> I have an exchange server set up in our environment but the clients
> have been set up as pop clients and not as exchange clients. I wont go
> into the details as to why we have gone for that. The question is that
> when a client sets its pop server as "abc.mail.com" it receives mails
> so thats fine but when it writes "abc.mail.com" in SMTP it doesnt send
> and gives an error as NO TRANSPORT SERVER AVAILABLE. At the moment the
> clients are using the ISP's SMTP.
>
> SMTP connector has been created on mail server and if a client is
> setup as an EXCHANGE client then there are no issues, exchange is able
> to send and receive email normally but we dont want to set it that
> way. We want clients as POP clients.
>
> Moreover could someone demonstrate the path taken by an email if
> routed through an ISP's SMTP to the locally existent MAIL SERVER. Does
> it go to the internet cloud or is ISA server smart enough to recognize
> that this mail server is existent on the LAN only?
>
> Would be looking for a few constructive replies. Thanx in advance.
>
> Umar Pirzada

If you do not like scripting, you can try GAL Exporter or Fast User Manager & Reports from IMIBO - http://www.imibo.com > > "Ringholz, Blake" <bringholz@nospam.com> wrote in message > news:76AEFC2F-85A7-4666-8262-27FB0737D09A@microsoft.com... >> Hello All - >> >> I need to get an Excel Spreadsheet that lists everyone first name, last >> name, email address, job title, etc pulled from Active Directory. Is >> there an easy way to do this? >> >> Thanks, >> Blake > > > > > ...

Exchange Active Sync #4
I have a user with a Sprint PalmOne Treo 650. Sprint advertises that this is supported by Exchange 2003 Server Active Sync. Microsoft has documented that Active Sync is included with Exchange 2003 at no additional cost. I have not been able to find documentation on how to install and configure Exchange 2003 Active Sync to support a Sprint PalmOne Treo 650. Can anyone point me to Microsoft or Sprint/PalmOne documentation on how to setup Exchange 2003 Active Sync to support a Treo 650? I work with the American Red Cross, a non-profit organization. I appreciate your help and support. On ...

InPlace ugrade from Exchange 2000 to 2003 recovery question
Hi, Will shortly be doing an inplace upgrade from Exchange 2000 enterprise edition to Exchange 2003 Enterprise edition. After we do all the steps ie. Forestprep/domainprep etc then do the actual upgrade if the upgrade fails how do we roll back. We use Brightstor Arcserve version 11 which is supported by Exchange 2000 and we backup doing the Full method not bricks level. I have documentation on how to restore Exchange using this but this just restores the database to my knowledge (never had to do it) with exchange 2000 so how do I roll back a failed upgrade. We have to do an inplace...

exchange 2003
I just set up a mail server at things are working fine in the network where it resides. The issue is that I have 5 other buildings that are connected via a VPN, and they can not connect. Do I need to change settings at their locations? DNS?? WINNS??? It depends on type of client, but generally proper DNS setup is required. Also make sure that no firewalls interfere. laker18 wrote: > I just set up a mail server at things are working fine in > the network where it resides. The issue is that I have 5 > other buildings that are connected via a VPN, and they > can not co...

Exchange 2003 SP1 Install Error
When I try to install E2003 SP1 I get the error: EventType exchangesetuperror, P1 6_5_7226_0, P2 update, P3 microsoft exchange messaging and collaboration services, P4 install, P5 e0070101, P6 _null_, P7 1, P8 NIL, P9 NIL, P10 NI The log says it cannot find a file but I can't tell which file it's looking for. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks ...

SMTP address list
Does anyone know of a way to obtain a list of all SMTP email addresses accepted by a server and the corresponding user account in Exchange 2003? Thanks Brad Palmer You can use LDIFDE to dump Active Directory attributes to a text file. The email addresses are held in the 'proxyAddresses' attribute, so: ldifde -f dump.ldf -l proxyaddresses This will give you a file called dump.ldf containing your addresses. You can add other Active Directory attributes to the export file as you see fit. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexc...

cannot open outlook 2000
"this opration has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer" I have already tried the steps listed in MS Knowledge Base article 310049, with no luck. Any other suggestions ? Thanks. ...

em from people i dont even know (respond to server ) is what they say
i have the same proplem with people pc help and now i have show all messages and there are a lot of th ...

Clarification please on exchange 2003 with DPM Server 2010
I would like to protect an exchange 2003 setup remotely. In the event of a problem such as accidently deleted mail etc. the way to restore the database files would is to use a recovery storage group? Now does this need to be restored back over the internet to the Exchange server or can the databases be restored onto a disk taken out to the server and then loaded into the recovery storage group? I am not sure what you mean "Now does this need to be restored back over the internet to the Exchange server" but yes to restore the exchange databases you can restore the files ...

Exchange server recovery advice needed
Folks We have been hit by a relatively big disk crash and I have to rebuild our exchange 2003 (SP1) server Fortunately I have a fully working backup but I still need to "replay" some LOG files as we only do weekly "full" snapshot. So to cut a long story short I have recovered and restarted the server as it was one week ago and everything seems fine EXCEPT for the messages (and other items) created since last backup. I DO have the log file for those days... but how do I "replay" them ? What is my best course of action ? At the moment I plan to create a separat...

SBS 2003 migration to Server 2008 STD
Hi. We are at the limit of 75 Users and want to Migrate away from our old SBS 2003 Server to two new 2008 STD Server (one for Exchange 2010) I have looked for infos how to do that correctly but i could not find any good basis to start with. Someone already accomplished that task? I recommend Server 2008 R2 over 2008. If you use Server 2008 make sure you have SP2 or better installed before you try to install Exchange 2010. I have done it. It was fairly straightforward. That said it was not easy. There is a lot of conflicting information on the web. The basic procedure is...

Exchange ActiveSync
Hello All, I am having a problem with Exchange ActiveSync. It has been working for about 4 months now, and nothing has really changed. I was able to sync it to my IPaq via a VPN into the network with no problems. Well, today it started with an Internet Error_2 when trying to sync. I get a n event log error saying that there is a problem in the web.config file on line 72, which happens to be the lines that Microsoft has you add via KB#823265. I have searched and searched. Anyone have any ideas?? ...

Textbox's truncated once printed (Excel 2000)
When using text boxs in excel if the data entry is larger than the text box it does not print out everything in the text box. Is there a way to get it to print out all the information contained in the text box. For the only two solutions I can think of is 1) Make the text boxs bigger but my manager rejected the idea. 2)Cut an paste the information onto a excel spreedsheet then print it that way by using a macro but that is a last resort. Dear Robert, 1) 2) and 3) Reject your manager. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't. 4) Perhaps ... use a smaller font? 5) Refrase your text ... Fran...

Can't Install IBF for CRM on CRM Server
first i'm install IBF On my CRM v1.2 (it's name testcrm) after that i'm try to install IBF for CRM on my CRM Server but in Step "Publish Metadata" i'm type "http://testcrm:8082" and click next button but it's show message box "The Information Bridge metadata service location is not avaliable" and can't install it. -_-' . but i can access "http://testcrm:8082/IBFWriteService.asmx" and "http://testcrm:8081/IBFReadService.asmx". so how can i install it ? I had the same problem - try using http://localhost:8082 for...

Question Re: Migration of Exchange to New Server.
I'm in the process of replacing an aging Exchange server with a brand new server. Once complete the old server will be taken off line and recycled. I figure the easiest way to do this is bring the new server up as a second Exchange server within the domain and then move the mail boxes from the old server to the new server but I have a couple of questions. 1) How do I move the public folders? I'm assuming I can setup Replication between the two servers and that will migrate the public folder data. 2) What happens when the current server goes off line? Other then having to upd...

Microsoft Outlook 2000 #8
When down loading messages a message appears (Just started ( that says c:\documents and settings\My Name\application data\microsoft\addins\wfloadin.dll is not a valid office add in Help Go into Tools | Options | Other, click the advanced button, then click the Add-In Manager and COM Add-Ins buttons and see if you find anything weird there. If you see an installed add-in listed that you don't need, disable it and see if the message goes away. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserv...

Remote Exchange server?
Scenario.... I have a client in a real problem area. The power is so bad that it's guaranteed to be off most weekends in summer time! Battery backup and power backup is NOT where i want to go here, so please dont suggest I concentrate on this...because it just won't happen! I would like to setup a remote exchange 03 server for this client in a data center. So when the power goes down, the clients can all connect by outlook web access without any interruptions. Clents from the troubled office would also have to connect to the remote exchange server during normal office hours. Is ...

One Exchange server wont send mail to certain domains
Hi, Just wondering if I can pick someones brains. We have 2 Exchange servers, 1 2000 (Ex2000 Sp3, Win2k SP4, Global Catalogue, member), and 1 2003 server (Ex2003 Sp2, Win2k3 SP2, master). Since putting in the 2003 server, users on the 2000 server get some "mail server rejected connection" failures when sending to 1 or 2 domains, most other domains accept mail ok. Users on the 2003 box can send fine. We've checked our MX records which are in place on the firewall, and we can also telnet to these domains and complete the telnet test. 2003 > outside world (u...

Exchange 5.5 ... Aarrgghhh...
Hello, I know that E 5.5 had some issues with detecting forwarded mail versus replied to mail. My question is that if I leave the "Disable auto replies.." checkbox blank, should auto forwards be okay as well? There's nothing inherently keeping auto forwards from getting out is there? Thanks, Dan On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:33:02 -0700, Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > I know that E 5.5 had some issues with detecting forwarded mail versus >replied to mail. My question is that if I leave the "Disable auto replies.." >checkbox ...

Exchange priv.edb
I compact my Data Base eseutil /d but it has the same size what happen? How much space was free? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;195914 On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:47:41 -0700, "Octavio" <ojgm@hotmail.com> wrote: >I compact my Data Base eseutil /d but it has the same size >what happen? Octavio, The file size of the database may or may not be reduced by running an offline defragmenation (eseutil /d). A size reduction will be purely dependent upon how much free space is available in the database. You you can figure out how much free space is in ...

MS RMS vs RetailPro ?
Hi, does anyone know what are the major distinctions between RetailPro and RMS? Someone told me recently that RetailPro is much better and easier to customize. I have never seen it but I do find RMS to be a little difficult to customize and navigate around. We are looking to expand into few more retail operations and would like to make a decision on whether to continue with RMS or switch to something that we can fine-tune more to our operations. Thanks. Zorian, Can't tell you about the product, although the QuickBooks POS is a cut down version of it. I would _seriously_ check ...

"Delete it from Server" Not Deleting From Server
Hello...and thank you for whatever assistance you might be able to render. I have set a message rule, in OE, which calls for certain messages to be deleted from the server. If I understand this part of the rule correctly, this means the message will never be downloaded...and that it will be completely deleted at the server level, so that it isn't counting against my server disk storage level, either. Figuring I'm correct in that presumption--and please let me know if I'm wrong--I seem to have some messages making it through that should absolutely be deleted at th...

sharepoint and exchange on same drive?
Hi, In the middle of doing a swing from sbs 2003 r2 to sbs 2008, and I must say that the swing migration is an awesome way to go! My quick question, is there a problem with putting exchange and sharepoint data on the same drive? I have a ton of storage space in this new server, two 1 tb drives (raid mirroring , there is actually 4 physical drives) and partitioned as follows: drive 1 = c: 100GB and d: 831 GB drive 2 = e: full 1 tb C drive obviously has the OS and plenty of room to breathe, exchange on D and maybe sharepoint on there as well, and user data on E There won&...

Out of Office not active Entourage 2008 exchange 2007

Exchange 2003 SP2 #5
I am trying to upgrade an exchange server 2003 to sp2. Keep getting an error message that i need to remove Intellegent message filter v 1. I cannot remove the Intellegent message filter v 1. I have tried and tried and cannot find the unistall in the add remove programs, I have tried all admin account on the server and still cannot see it. Is there any way to uninstall this? Bryan there should be an entry in add remove programs for the intelligent message filter... reinstall v1.... and then remove.... "Bryan Laird" wrote: > I am trying to upgrade an exchange server 2003...