SMTP incoming filter question

Hi there,

Ex2003SP1 FE & BE both runnin on W2K3 server.  For all users, they can only
access EX2003 via 2 methods: OL2003 caching mode, or OWA2003.
Assume my email domain is domain.com

In such case, at smtp connector, can I block all incoming smtp emails with
sender *@domain.com ?

My idea is, since all internal users can only use OL2003 or OWA2003, all
emails already handled internally, no need to route thru smtp connector.  So
at smtp connector if received emails claiming themselves from domain.com it
must be spoofed & should be filtered.

Is my concept correct or wrong?  Thanks in advance for your help!

0
zacfang (36)

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:44:00 +0800, "Zac" <zacfang@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Ex2003SP1 FE & BE both runnin on W2K3 server.  For all users, they can only
>access EX2003 via 2 methods: OL2003 caching mode, or OWA2003.
>Assume my email domain is domain.com
>
>In such case, at smtp connector, can I block all incoming smtp emails with
>sender *@domain.com ?
>
>My idea is, since all internal users can only use OL2003 or OWA2003, all
>emails already handled internally, no need to route thru smtp connector.  So
>at smtp connector if received emails claiming themselves from domain.com it
>must be spoofed & should be filtered.
>
>Is my concept correct or wrong?  Thanks in advance for your help!

You don't actually block at the smtp level. You ensure that filtering
is applied to the smtp interface and then use ESM to block your own
domain in global settings.
As you surmise, blocking your own domain is ok in your situation.
It's not a cure all for spam though and you should still use a 3rd
party spam filter, with the IMF as a full solution.

0
mark7219 (5666)

Access 97 Runtime question
We are using Access 97 runtime for some of our staff. I noticed today that in reports if they right mouse click, they don't get a shortcut menu. I want them to be able to Export the report they are viewing. Would Access 2003 runtime have the shortcut menu? Thanks Kelvin "Kelvin Beaton" <kelvin dot beaton at mccsa dot c o m> wrote in message news:uiQA0i7zHHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > We are using Access 97 runtime for some of our staff. > I noticed today that in reports if they right mouse click, they don't get > a shortcut menu. I want them to be...

Optimiztion question
I was looking at MSDN on optimizing queries (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998577.aspx) and am unclear as to why a foreign key relationship affects the query in this case. At the beginning of the article it gives an example and starts out by saying: The sample screen shot in Figure 14.2 shows an execution plan that accesses only one table, although two tables are included in a join in the query. Because there is a declared foreign key relationship between the authors table and the titleauthor table, and the au_id column in the titleauthor table is not allowed to b...

Using formulas to filter
Is there a way to filter a list by formulas the same way the Data->Filter option works? I'd like to take the matrix: Col A Col B Col C Col D Col E ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== Smith 30 $104.2 Yes 52 Jones 31 $155.3 No 51 Jones 31 $422.2 Yes 49 Freer 31 $424.3 Yes 42 Waylan 30 $322.5 No 50 Smith 31 $288.3 Yes 49 etc. And, using a formula, filter on Col B = 31 to produce: Col AA Col AB ...

SMTP connector on Exchange 5.5?
Does anyone know how to setup an SMTP connector on Exchange 5.5? Something that is equivalent to Exchange 2000 SMTP connector? Thank you, Jack Black IMS. On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 17:02:38 -0500, "Jack Black" <JackBlack@hat.com> wrote: >Does anyone know how to setup an SMTP connector on Exchange 5.5? Something >that is equivalent to Exchange 2000 SMTP connector? > >Thank you, Jack Black > ...

HELP
I just wrote a check to the IRS, and in the Expense Catagory I indicated "Taxes : Federal Income Tax". Yet in the Income/Expense report, this payment is not included in my total federal taxes paid for this month. I should note that the check was written from an Investment Account. If I write the check from my checking account, the amount correctly shows up in the Income/Expense report. Any ideas as to why it works differently, depending on which account I pay the tax from? In microsoft.public.money, Tom wrote: >I just wrote a check to the IRS, and in the Expense Cat...

auto filter data within pivot table
Hello, Does anyone know how can we filter data within a pivot table? or sort the data from ascending to decending order withing a pivot table??? Can we do that? It doesnt seems to work?! Thanks. Elaine. You can add fields to the page area, and use them to filter the pivot table's data. To sort a field, select a cell in a column, and click the A-Z button on the Excel toolbar. elaine wrote: > Does anyone know how can we filter data within a pivot table? or sort > the data from ascending to decending order withing a pivot table??? > Can we do that? > > It doesnt se...

Macros/Signatures Question
I have an Excel Workbook that I created for a PC Order Form. I set it up to only make certain rows visible based on the Machine Model that they choose. I digital signed the Worksheets and exported the Digital Signature Certificate and installed it on the User’s PCs. The code works great. The user opens the Workbook and it runs the Macros with no problem. The problem I have is when the user goes to save the Workbook. They get an error that “Excel can not sign VBA macros when saving to this file format. Do you want to remove the digital signature and continue saving this workbook?”...

Recipient Filtering
EX2k3 SP2 Hi I would like to enable the "filter recipients who are not in the directory" option under Global settings/Message Delivery/Recipient Filtering. However we allow an IIS server in the domain to relay email though the exchange server. If the “filter recipients who are not in the directory" option is selected will this cause e-mail relayed by the IIS server to non AD recipients to fail? Regards SuperPlay Recipient Filtering and Relaying are separate pieces of functionality and as such you should not have any problems. Nue "SuperPlay" <SuperPla...

Simple IMAP question
Hi, How do I enable shared calendar with free/busy information through IMAP ? When I add the "calendar" folder in IMAP it displays as a mail folder, not a calendar. Pierrot Is this calendar a mailbox or public folder? Why are you using IMAP instead of MAPI? MAPI is much more feature complete as it applies to this sort of thing. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Pierrot Robert" <mcthepro@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23NzXwrV6GHA.4352@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > How do I...

remove a filter
I have a combobox [cbqrytypes] that I use to filter a form [frmPackaging]. [cbqrytypes] has this simple AfterUpdate event: Private Sub cbqrytypes_AfterUpdate() Me.cbProfileID.Requery Forms![frmPackaging].Form.Refresh Forms![frmPackaging].Form.Requery End Sub The Record Source for [frmPackaging] has [cbqrytypes] in it so everything works just dandy. The challenge is clearing the filter after opening [frmPackaging] from another form. For example, I have other forms with double-click events that will open [frmPackaging] and filter to the primary key value whic...

Exchange 2003 Question??
Dear all, I would like to know if there is an upgrade path from Exchange 2003 Standard Edition with SA to Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition with SA? Thank you. Regards, Kueh. This might help http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;170280 -- Santhosh Sivarajan MCSE(W2K/NT4),MCSA(W2K3/W2K/MSG),CCNA,Network+ "KA Kueh" <kka@ksm.com.my> wrote in message news:exVKwgOKEHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Dear all, > > I would like to know if there is an upgrade path from Exchange 2003 Standard > Edition with SA to Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition wit...

Macro Question #10
Hi, I am working with a text file that I imported into Excel. It is a transactional report of sales by customer. The data will have the customer number and name spread out over three cells. What I want to do is to create a macro that will contatenate all three cell and then perform a paste special and paste them into another cell in another column. Since the number of transactions by customer can vary the customer name and number can appear anywhere on the page. I created a macro to do this using the first customer which appears in cell B5 through D5. The next customer appears...

Filter two columns with criterion applying to one or the other?
Hi, I am looking for a solution to the following filtering problem: I have two adjacent columns, so using a filter for both of them is no problem. But what I want to do and don't know how to do is this: I want to filter for values greater than x (a certain number, in my case 5000) in any of the two columns. I can filter both columns for x greater than 5000 but that filters out more than I want because there may be some cells with a value greater than 5000 in only one of the two columns. Is there a solution to this problem (using Excel alone or an add-on)? Peter Hi Peter you can use th...

Filtering question
Is there a way to expand the filter option so that it shows 1 row (or more), both above and below any row that contains the value I am looking for? Data|filter|autofilter examines each cell/row on its own. Maybe you can put the key value for each group on the rows you want. Then filter by that column. richzip wrote: > > Is there a way to expand the filter option so that it shows 1 row (or more), > both above and below any row that contains the value I am looking for? -- Dave Peterson ...

how can i use countif function inside a filtered range
How can I use countif function inside a filtered range Hi, Not much detail here, so this is the general idea: =SUMPRODUCT(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(C13:C18,ROW(13:18)-13,0,1)),--(C13:C18="Red")) -- If this helps, please click the Yes button Cheers, Shane Devenshire "jayin" wrote: > How can I use countif function inside a filtered range Shane Devenshire wrote on 02/24/2009 02:05 ET : > Hi, > > Not much detail here, so this is the general idea: > > =SUMPRODUCT(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(C13:C18,ROW(13:18)-13,0,1)),--(C13:C18=&quot;Red&quot;)) > > ...

question about leaving messages on server
My husband and I have 1 POP mail account. I am accessing it from a computer in Virginia, where I'm staying with relatives. He is accessing the same account from California. I have my Outlook set up to keep messages on the server, but to delete them after 1 day (so that he will still get the messages, but the server won't get clogged). His email program, Eudora, is set up so the messages will be deleted from the server after he downloads them. Is there a chance I won't get some messages because he has his computer set up that way? (He downloads it 1st, then it gets deleted off serv...

Questions on migration from VS2005 to VS2010
Hi folks, As is the case every couple of years, I go through a nerve-wracking transition to a new development environment. The thing is, I've become really comfortable with VS2005, and our small team has a very simple and effective approach to development. I am nervous that VS2010 will negatively effect our productivity; but don't want to get too "far behind" toolset versions. So, that being said, I wanted to ask a few questions on what to expect when moving from VS2005 to VS2010 on an upcoming project. Your feedback is highly appreciated. Question...

New to Money 2006
I was using Money 2004 and upgraded it to 2006 last night (God only knows, why :)). I started to hate the idea of Passport and Web Publishing my account details and so did not choose the Passport option. I was able to install with regular Money stand alone password and still update all my accounts by downloading them from the respective financial institutions (as I used to do with 2004). The problem is with MBNA America. I want to download the credit card transactions. But the online setup process is asking me for passport setup. I looked at the description of this bank on Microsoft site...

upload form problem / server question
www.icingpictures.co.uk / win xp / frontpage 2003 Want to create a form with upload file form field - i read on this forum that the server type i use is important - it should be a windows type server with frontpage extensions - i currently use a linux server with front page extensions - do i need to change to a windows server? Thanks for taking a looka t my question. Joyce Yes, you must have a Windows Server, just like you stated you read. -- Tom [Pepper] Willett Microsoft MVP - FrontPage Since 1997 --------------------------- "threademporium" <threademporiu...

Outlook 2003 question #4
Hi ... I have 4 email accounts with outlook 2003 and they are all from the same isp provider ... My problem is when i am going to create an email to someone i can't tell which email account is sending the email to , its usually set a default ... What i mean is that when i view my email accounts they are listed as so and so default , # 1 , # 2 , # 3 , I don't know what 1 or 2 or 3 are ... Is there a way to notice which email account is which beside having numbers beside them ... I can't tell which is which ... It would be better if you could view the actual name of the ema...

Dynamic Access Report from filtered Form
I need help. I have succuess fully applied the "how to create a dynamic crosstab report in access" from instructions off of microsofts web site to my own report and query. My problem is this. I have a form in datasheet view, based off a query. When the form is open I can hide / unhid columns as needed and apply filter by form. That all is great. But now I want to beable to send the filtered data on the datasheet form to the Dynamic Report I created showing only the filtered records and also only show the columns that I did not have hidden on my form. How do I do this? I have t...

Incoming message arrive as an attachment
Hi, Can some one help me. I recently start receiving incoming message as .txt attachment as well as the inline text. These is really weird...just start very recently. I am using Exchange 5.5 and outlook 2000. Thank you in advance. Tim >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >Can some one help me. I recently start receiving incoming >message as .txt attachment as well as the inline text. >These is really weird...just start very recently. > >I am using Exchange 5.5 and outlook 2000. > >Thank you in advance. > >Tim >. > never seen that problem. Uni...

Filters in 2007
Filters in 2007 are obnoxious. Everytime you want to drop down on a particular value of the filter, you have to through filter->type of filter --> value of drop down. In the earlier version of excel , one could do just drop down on the filter and that's it. Is there a simpler way to do this in 2007 ? ...

Tax Collected Question
Is there a report to run that will show the tax that has been paid by the customer and not on the tax that was collected via a tender? Or is there a report to run that shows invoices have been paid by check, credit card, or cash that leaves out those tendered to account? We would like to be able to pay taxes on what has been paid to us and not what we are waiting on for payment. hi send me your email I will forward you some interesting reports for your below issue. "bevans22" wrote: > Is there a report to run that will show the tax that has been paid by the > custome...

Questions regarding Data center operation
Hi, I have over 8 years of IT experience but very new to the Data Center space and have 4 questions. If someone can answer, I would really appreciate! You can consider these questions more of a brainstorming ideas. 1. If a facilities capacity is re-classified as 5 MW lower than it was previously, what needs to happen here? 2. We need to expand Network capacity at a facility by 2 times but for only 20% more money, how can we do it? 3. Where to start if you are responsible for tech refresh in existing facility? 4. During tech refresh planning you find out about a delay in delivery...