SMTP Help!!!

I have a customer with a new Exchange 2003 server

Single AD domain on one server
DNS server local and seems to be working correctly
Cable internet through Comcast

Had been receiving 2012 and 2013 app log events

Increased the DNSErrorsBeforeFailover as suggested in a knowledgebase article

2012 & 2013 Errors have stop but replaced with 4006 events

No mail flow inbound or outbound for past 2 days!!

SMTP appears busted, cannot telnet in or out on Port 25 even though firewall
has port forwarding on that port

Switched firewalls with same result

Noticed periodic Back Orifice attack attempts in firewall log during this
period. Source IP for attempts are Comcast IPs (Could be spoofed of course)

Could ISP be blocking Port 25 or something internal to Exchange server?

LAN operation other than email is working fine

Reinstalled Exchange with no luck

Desperate and need help

Thanks,

Jeff

Desperate for help

0
JeffPaul (2)

"JeffPaul" <JeffPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a customer with a new Exchange 2003 server
>
>Single AD domain on one server
>DNS server local and seems to be working correctly
>Cable internet through Comcast
>
>Had been receiving 2012 and 2013 app log events
>
>Increased the DNSErrorsBeforeFailover as suggested in a knowledgebase article
>
>2012 & 2013 Errors have stop but replaced with 4006 events
>
>No mail flow inbound or outbound for past 2 days!!
>
>SMTP appears busted, cannot telnet in or out on Port 25 even though firewall
>has port forwarding on that port

Exchange uses the Windows SMTP service. Maybe someone's removed and
reinstalled IIS?

>Switched firewalls with same result
>
>Noticed periodic Back Orifice attack attempts in firewall log during this
>period. Source IP for attempts are Comcast IPs (Could be spoofed of course)
>
>Could ISP be blocking Port 25

That wouldn't prevent your server from listening on all the IP
addreses assigned to its NIC(s) -- including 127.0.0.1.

What does netstat tell you? Is there something listening on port 25?
Is the SMTP service running?

>or something internal to Exchange server?

Or to the O/S.

>LAN operation other than email is working fine
>
>Reinstalled Exchange with no luck

Hmmm . . . if you uninstall Exchange can you connect to port 25?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> "JeffPaul" <JeffPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a customer with a new Exchange 2003 server
> >
> >Single AD domain on one server
> >DNS server local and seems to be working correctly
> >Cable internet through Comcast
> >
> >Had been receiving 2012 and 2013 app log events
> >
> >Increased the DNSErrorsBeforeFailover as suggested in a knowledgebase article
> >
> >2012 & 2013 Errors have stop but replaced with 4006 events
> >
> >No mail flow inbound or outbound for past 2 days!!
> >
> >SMTP appears busted, cannot telnet in or out on Port 25 even though firewall
> >has port forwarding on that port
>
> Exchange uses the Windows SMTP service. Maybe someone's removed and
> reinstalled IIS?
>
> >Switched firewalls with same result
> >
> >Noticed periodic Back Orifice attack attempts in firewall log during this
> >period. Source IP for attempts are Comcast IPs (Could be spoofed of course)
> >
> >Could ISP be blocking Port 25
>
> That wouldn't prevent your server from listening on all the IP
> addreses assigned to its NIC(s) -- including 127.0.0.1.
>
> What does netstat tell you? Is there something listening on port 25?
> Is the SMTP service running?
>
> >or something internal to Exchange server?
>
> Or to the O/S.
>
> >LAN operation other than email is working fine
> >
> >Reinstalled Exchange with no luck
>
> Hmmm . . . if you uninstall Exchange can you connect to port 25?
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

JeffPaul (2)

Dynamic Range in Offset Help Request
Dear Gurus and MVPs, Is there a way to change the Reference of the Offset funtion so that the reference cell could change accordingly ? For example, 1 2 A 10 21 B 11 22 C 12 23 D 13 24 Correl(offset(a1;1;0;2);offset(a2;1;0;2)) in a generalized way, Correl(offset( x1 ;1;0;k);offset( x2 ;1;0; k ) is possibe ? x1=a1,b1,c1 ... k=1,2,3 ... Thank you for your time and help. see your other post -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "VBApprentice :)" <VBApprentice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1D260C0C-B4BF-4F9C-9B12-393ED3DC9632...

Request for help to use EPM
Hello, I have some questions about EPM. it has some products. should I install all of them to work with EPM? also I wanted to ask if all the EPM's functionalities are available via its Web access environment. for example Project's creation, planning, design, control and monitoring. Thanks in advance Inas You would be better to repost on the newsgroup dedicated to Project Server microsoft.public.project.server. You also can see answers to some of the questions you pose in Microsoft's web site on Project EPM. --rms www.rmschneider.com On 10/01/10 10:0...

Help with calculating time
All - I am in desperate need of figuring out how to do something. What I need is a way to figure out the amount of time (in hours/minutes) between two points. I have a few problems that I need to solve: 1) My times and dates are currently in two separate fields. How can I combine them together? 2) After I get the time&date merged into one field, how can I calculate the amount of time between 2 cells? If anyone has any solutions for any or all of this I would greatly appreciate it! Gary This will combine the date and time togeather Range("D2").Value = Format(Range("B2...

help!!! outlook not working (only for one user...)
my husband and I share the home pc logging in with different user names at startup. for some strange reason, while my outlook work perfectly well, his side started two day ago to act up. as he tries to open the program the error message "impossible to display the folder, impossible to access the specified path for the folder. impossible to find the file DLL of information service. impossible to load the information service PSTPRX.DLL. ensure the service is installed and correctly configured" (please forgive me as this is a litleral translation - our system is in italian. the...

HELP!!! How to use macros to have one-click cell selections.
Hi. I posted this question before, but, because I don't understand all these advanced Excel computer terms, it wasn't much help. ALSO I ONLY GOT ONE RESPONSE. EVERYONE HELP!!! MY QUESTION IS THIS: How, in Excel, can I set a cell to contain text such as [Your Name], and, when I single-click it, have the cell become selected in dark gray, and when I begin typing, have the cell clear so I can type? Basically, I'm asking because I've seen in some Microsoft Word templates things/words like the cells I've just asked how to make. These words are there so the user easily kn...

Please Help-i posted this on the worksheet forum earlier and haven't had any response
Hi, I have four columns of data and would like to identify: 1-what is the first date a symbol was bought or sold 2-On what dates did the number of shares for that symbol = 0 (like i we bought 1000 and sold a total of 1000 a few days later) Does anybody have any thoughts on this? I am at a loss and would lov your input! Date Symbol Action Shares 12/1/2005 BBB Sell -1200 12/1/2005 FFF Sell -1000 11/30/2005 BBB Buy 400 11/30/2005 AAA Sell -200 11/29/2005 GGG Sell -500 11/29/2005 CCC Sell -1000 11/28/2005 DDD Buy 700 11/28/2005 BBB Sell -200 11/25/2005 GGG Sell -500 11/23/2005 GGG Buy 1000 11/...

Free SMTP Server
Hi *, I am looking for a free SMTP server which can send any number of messages to yahoo, gmail and other mail servers. Basically I want to send a single msg of only few words (no attachments) to some 35,000 ppl at once. I have got softhome.net but they have bandwidth limitation etc. Plz point me to the solution TIA, Sanjeev Kumar http://www.coolcampus.8k.com Sounds like somebody wants to send spam. Please do not encourage this guys request. >-----Original Message----- >Hi *, >I am looking for a free SMTP server which can send any number of >messages to yahoo, gmail and othe...

Excel-specific Help Menu?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Since my computer was upgraded to Leopard and Office 2008, the help menus within Excel or Word don't seem to access the help files for the actual program - all they give me are &quot;menu items&quot; and then &quot;help topics&quot; which are the generic ones for the computer. <br><br>e.g. I wanted to do a Find and Replace today but it's not working, which I think has something to do with the symbols I'm using. Searching under Help doesn't turn up anything on that function ...

OWA and SMTP issues
I am currently mounting my first Small Business server 2003. One of the very importantant needs to be addressed through this server to us is to be able to send and receive messages through this server and also pop3 accounts located on other hosted sites. So far I've been able to accomplish this satisfactorily at the desktop but not through the OWA client. We can receive all the pop3 messages, however when we reply they assume the address of the server 2003 account only. Is ther a solution for this? On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 07:33:02 -0800, Richard Hissong <RichardHissong@discussions.m...

name.value@ smtp address wildcard
Hello, Were developing an extension to our application that will require many smtp addresses to be assigned to an account in the following format; mysmtpname.12345@mydomain.com We have a server side service which monitors a mail folder and performs actions when mail is received. The ID part of the above address is used to link these actions to items in our database. We need the ID in the smtp address as we cannot inject it anywhere else through the process. There will be many ID type addresses needed against the account and rather than place a burden on the exchange admins to set thes...

Entourage Help 01-08-10
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange When i copy and paste an excel spread sheet into the body of an email, it loses all its formatting. I tried to paste as a picture to no avail. <br><br>another issue ... setting up lists in entourage like in Outlook. (multiple email addresses) On 1/8/10 9:57 AM, in article 59bb058e.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "Ricndona@officeformac.com" <Ricndona@officeformac.com> wrote: > When i copy and paste an excel spread sheet into the body of an email, it > l...

MS Query Help
I can't get the SUBSTRING() function to work with MS Query. No matter what I try, I get an "invalid column name" error. Can anyone help? ...

Need Help linking worksheets
I recently took a part-time job as bookkeeper for an organization where I need to be able to print a report on demand of current finances. I have a workbook with 3 sheets. The first one is the General Ledger Report, 2nd, receipts, and 3rd, lists the disbursements. My general ledger is: Begin. Bal. plus Receipts minus Disburs, plus or minus transfers =ending balance. The Ledger is listed by categories while the other two sheets are entered by the date each action occurs. Although I have used Excel for some time, I have only dealt with the simpler formulas and have never linked sheets ...

HELP, restrict outgoing email to specific domains
Hi, I have Exchange Server 2000 I need to restrict the outgoing emails to an specific domains, for example. I only want to my Exchange Server 2000 let to send emails to damains like: @hotmail.com, @yahoo.com, etc. If a user try to send to another domain not specified in the configuration the email must will rejected. Thanks a lot for your help. Remenber I have Exchange Server 2000. THANKS.... Oh, I guess you could play around with connectors, restrictions and such, but it may be easier to simply get fancy with your DNS or firewall. On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:21:01 -0800, Rafael <Rafael...

Help with Query to find Month
I need some help please. I want to build a query based on a form with two combo boxes for Month 1 and Month 2 and then have a report that has two columns for the LaborCost values for Month1 and Month2. I’ll only be using two fields in my table tblTrans_Mstr: [TransDate] and [LaborCost]. I think I may also need two combo boxes for the year also since my data has multiple years. How might you handle this? Thanks for any suggestions. What will combo boxes for Month 1 and Month 2 supply as criteria? Number or text? Is [TransDate] a datatype DateTime field or text? -- ...

help with pst files
I was trying to import some Outlook pst files from an old computer onto a new one (there are 5 pst files in total, and I have only imported 2 at this point). The pst files are grouped alphanumerically. The first file only contains emails pertaining to numbers, and the folders and subfolders start with "#". When I moved the files onto the new computer, and tried importing this one, the main and subfolders were mixed in with the existing personal folders under the main Personal Folders data file section. I thought that I identified the subfolders, and created a new folder to grou...

Desparate For Help
Using Exccel 2003 with all current Service packs in Windows XP Pro with all current service packs. Over the weekend the pivot table field list changed sizes and I cannot extend the length of the list. When docked only about 1 inch of the list is visible. When I am able to undock the list the size is only approx a 1.5 in square. When I attempt to drag the length up and down to expose more of the list I am unable to do that. It seems like it is a fixed size. Does anyone have an idea on this one and a resolution? Thanks in advance -- Jeff C Live Well .. Be Happy In ...

Help! Autofilter doesn't function!
Please disregard. Solution found. Thank you. -- SmokingMirror ------------------------------------------------------------------------ SmokingMirror's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=12225 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=466727 ...

need help with a code please
Hi I have 12 pages in a worksheet I then have to *copy/paste special - all links* from each of the 12 pages into another page in the worksheet to have a total overview. Is it possible to have a code to highlight/colour the changes made in the overview page when a change is made to any of the 12 pages? Martin ���� ...

Help: Outlook adds spaces to e-mail addresses!
Dear All, I am using Outlook 2000 SP3 in IMO. When I reply to an e-mail, Outlook sometimes adds spaces to the address of the recipient of the reply. Because I add all senders to my address book automatically, the compose window only shows the name of the person, rather than the raw e-mail address. So I have unintentionally been sending replies to invalid addresses and, worse still, for some reason they do NOT even return bounce messages. So who knows how many messages I have sent that have vanished, and I have assumed the recipient is ignoring them. An example is: someone@internet.com Beco...

SMTP DNS settings
Hi, We have a Windows 2000 server running Exchange 2000. We use SMTP on this server to send outgoing mail. A couple of weeks ago mail stopped going out and we discovered that it uses a DNS query to a DNS server (former ISP) which has recently been decommissioned. I have searched our internal DNS servers and all Exchange and Windows 2000 Server settings to find this IP address so i can change it, but to no avail. Our firewall providers have put in place a patch to intercept requests to this address so that mail can go out, but I would like to fix it properly. Can anyone suggest where t...

CDatabase help needed
Hi anyone know when and why CDatabase throwing an exception " Database already exists" " Driver's SQLSETCONNECTION Attr Failed" this comes when i tried to call CDatabase.OpenEx(myConnecString,NoOdbcdialog). There is nuthing wrong with ma connect string. help needed - Jibesh Hi, If you could supply details of your connection string and all relevant code we may be able to help. - Tim "jibesh" <jibesh.vp@m2comsys.com> wrote in message news:%233lKw%231QEHA.132@TK2MSF...

Scheduled SMTP connector, only one message has a Time of Next connection
We are running an Exchange 2003 environment and we are experiencing the exact same problem below, but this is year later. Is anyone aware of fix/patch that addresses this bug? Danny Schmid ---------------------------------------- Thw word from MS Support, Australia: "Hi Malcolm, I have been carrying out some more research as per screen dumps and the issue you are experiencing. Only one of the Scheduled queues appears to be "awake". There is a known bug with Exchange 2000 and using SMTP connector scheduling. At the schedule interval of the SMTP connector only one link wi...

Help to edit (bold, colour etc) words in a text box created by control toolbox
Hi. How do i format txt inside a txt box -i.e. make certain words bold or different colour, use bulet points or spell checks etc? I have a fixed size txt box with horizontal scroll bars in a daily excel report/ log. Cells available for txt input is at a premium hence my option to have fixed size txt box with scrolls. Problem is that we have lost abillity to highlight a few key words/ sections within this txt box by using bold or coloured txt & bullet points. Also, a spell check is desirable but none of these features are active for the txt box part of the excel doc. Is there a way aro...

Message box help-probably easy
I searched this group but still could not find the answer to this coding problem On closing a form (Access 2003) I want the following to occur: If ALL of check boxes 1,2,3 are not checked then display the following message box: "No check boxes were selected. Delete record and close?" Option "Yes" deletes the present record from the form and closes form. Option "No" returns to form. Else close form Many thanks in advance for any and all help. Deb You could use the Unload event of your form to trap for this. The code might look something like following: ...