SMTP Connectors #4

Hi,
I have a problem with two Front-End servers in NLB. I have two connectors
with address space *, one connector with cost 10 the other with cost 20 for
connector availability purposes. Inbound mails are targeted to FrontEnd1,
outbound mails should go from FrontEnd2 (e.g. MX for FrontEnd1 cost is 10;
MX cost for FrontEnd2 is 20)
Connectors: FrontEnd1 - Address space * - cost 10 - bridgehead srv =
FrontEnd1; FrontEnd2 - Address space * - cost 20 - bridgehead srv =
FrontEnd2
The problem:
If both servers are up and running and somehow some mail ends in queue on
FrontEnd2 it correctly creates queue for Connector on FrontEnd1 since it has
cost lower than FrontEnd2 Connector but the mails are not leaving the queue.
If I put both servers as bridgehead servers in both connectors then mail
flows normally. But when both servers are included in the list of bridgehead
servers then the cost is omitted when sending mail and mails are leaving the
organization through both connectors despite the fact the FrontEnd1 is
running normally and is set with cost 10 for * address space.

Is this by design?

Thanks in advance

Dookee

0
dookee (4)

Hi,

I had had to delve into this a couple of years ago, The costs won't make a
difference it decides which smtp connector to use looking at the 'address
space' properties. The way you have it setup it could pick either of them.

Oliver

Exchange will not use cost to decid which connector is best
"Dookee" <dookee@email.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a problem with two Front-End servers in NLB. I have two connectors
> with address space *, one connector with cost 10 the other with cost 20
> for connector availability purposes. Inbound mails are targeted to
> FrontEnd1, outbound mails should go from FrontEnd2 (e.g. MX for FrontEnd1
> cost is 10; MX cost for FrontEnd2 is 20)
> Connectors: FrontEnd1 - Address space * - cost 10 - bridgehead srv =
> FrontEnd1; FrontEnd2 - Address space * - cost 20 - bridgehead srv =
> FrontEnd2
> The problem:
> If both servers are up and running and somehow some mail ends in queue on
> FrontEnd2 it correctly creates queue for Connector on FrontEnd1 since it
> has cost lower than FrontEnd2 Connector but the mails are not leaving the
> queue. If I put both servers as bridgehead servers in both connectors then
> mail flows normally. But when both servers are included in the list of
> bridgehead servers then the cost is omitted when sending mail and mails
> are leaving the organization through both connectors despite the fact the
> FrontEnd1 is running normally and is set with cost 10 for * address space.
>
> Is this by design?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dookee

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
12/5/2006 2:55:54 PM
Thanks Oliver.
As I thought...

"Oliver Moazzezi" <o.moazzeziNO@SPAMfreenet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I had had to delve into this a couple of years ago, The costs won't make a
> difference it decides which smtp connector to use looking at the 'address
> space' properties. The way you have it setup it could pick either of them.
>
> Oliver
>

> Exchange will not use cost to decid which connector is best
> "Dookee" <dookee@email.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I have a problem with two Front-End servers in NLB. I have two connectors
>> with address space *, one connector with cost 10 the other with cost 20
>> for connector availability purposes. Inbound mails are targeted to
>> FrontEnd1, outbound mails should go from FrontEnd2 (e.g. MX for FrontEnd1
>> cost is 10; MX cost for FrontEnd2 is 20)
>> Connectors: FrontEnd1 - Address space * - cost 10 - bridgehead srv =
>> FrontEnd1; FrontEnd2 - Address space * - cost 20 - bridgehead srv =
>> FrontEnd2
>> The problem:
>> If both servers are up and running and somehow some mail ends in queue on
>> FrontEnd2 it correctly creates queue for Connector on FrontEnd1 since it
>> has cost lower than FrontEnd2 Connector but the mails are not leaving the
>> queue. If I put both servers as bridgehead servers in both connectors
>> then mail flows normally. But when both servers are included in the list
>> of bridgehead servers then the cost is omitted when sending mail and
>> mails are leaving the organization through both connectors despite the
>> fact the FrontEnd1 is running normally and is set with cost 10 for *
>> address space.
>>
>> Is this by design?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Dookee

0
dookee (4)
12/6/2006 2:48:50 PM
I am not questioning the facts but in MS E2k3 Transport and Routing
Guide, it says the following:

"Routing only uses costs when the defined address space or connected
routing groups are the same on two connectors. "

My understanding is "if the addresse spaces are identical (like
Dookee's setup), then cost WILL be considered". Did I think wrong?

Oliver Moazzezi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had had to delve into this a couple of years ago, The costs won't make a
> difference it decides which smtp connector to use looking at the 'address
> space' properties. The way you have it setup it could pick either of them.
>
> Oliver
>

> Exchange will not use cost to decid which connector is best
> "Dookee" <dookee@email.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have a problem with two Front-End servers in NLB. I have two connectors
> > with address space *, one connector with cost 10 the other with cost 20
> > for connector availability purposes. Inbound mails are targeted to
> > FrontEnd1, outbound mails should go from FrontEnd2 (e.g. MX for FrontEnd1
> > cost is 10; MX cost for FrontEnd2 is 20)
> > Connectors: FrontEnd1 - Address space * - cost 10 - bridgehead srv =
> > FrontEnd1; FrontEnd2 - Address space * - cost 20 - bridgehead srv =
> > FrontEnd2
> > The problem:
> > If both servers are up and running and somehow some mail ends in queue on
> > FrontEnd2 it correctly creates queue for Connector on FrontEnd1 since it
> > has cost lower than FrontEnd2 Connector but the mails are not leaving the
> > queue. If I put both servers as bridgehead servers in both connectors then
> > mail flows normally. But when both servers are included in the list of
> > bridgehead servers then the cost is omitted when sending mail and mails
> > are leaving the organization through both connectors despite the fact the
> > FrontEnd1 is running normally and is set with cost 10 for * address space.
> >
> > Is this by design?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Dookee

0
johnlan (41)
12/6/2006 4:40:25 PM
>Connectors: FrontEnd1 - Address space * - cost 10 - bridgehead srv =
>FrontEnd1; FrontEnd2 - Address space * - cost 20 - bridgehead srv =
>FrontEnd2

This setup provides redundancy and is a valid setup.

"If you want to configure connectors to failover automatically, you can
create two separate connectors on different bridgehead servers, each
with a different cost."

>The problem:
>If both servers are up and running and somehow some mail ends in queue on
>FrontEnd2 it correctly creates queue for Connector on FrontEnd1 since it has
>cost lower than FrontEnd2 Connector but the mails are not leaving the queue.

This shows that the cost is being evaluated and sent to FE1. We need to
find out why it's not leaving the queue. Verify that FE2 can relay to
FE1.

Advanced Routing Configuration
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/Guides/E2k3TransnRouting/d4c84ac1-5ff9-4b6c-a2d7-80044c96e5e3.mspx?mfr=true

Dookee wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a problem with two Front-End servers in NLB. I have two connectors
> with address space *, one connector with cost 10 the other with cost 20 for
> connector availability purposes. Inbound mails are targeted to FrontEnd1,
> outbound mails should go from FrontEnd2 (e.g. MX for FrontEnd1 cost is 10;
> MX cost for FrontEnd2 is 20)
> Connectors: FrontEnd1 - Address space * - cost 10 - bridgehead srv =
> FrontEnd1; FrontEnd2 - Address space * - cost 20 - bridgehead srv =
> FrontEnd2
> The problem:
> If both servers are up and running and somehow some mail ends in queue on
> FrontEnd2 it correctly creates queue for Connector on FrontEnd1 since it has
> cost lower than FrontEnd2 Connector but the mails are not leaving the queue.
> If I put both servers as bridgehead servers in both connectors then mail
> flows normally. But when both servers are included in the list of bridgehead
> servers then the cost is omitted when sending mail and mails are leaving the
> organization through both connectors despite the fact the FrontEnd1 is
> running normally and is set with cost 10 for * address space.
>
> Is this by design?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dookee

0