Smart Host not working - Exchange 2000

Hi All,

I have a (seemingly) quite bizarre problem.

Basically even though I've told Exchange Server 2000 to use a smart host for
mail delivery (under the default SMTP server - Advanced Delivery tab),
exchange insists on attempting to connect direct to the recipients MX
server.  I've done this before on dozens of Exchange 2000 servers and never
seen this behaviour.

Anyone have any idea what may stop Exchange 2000 server using a smart host
??

The FQDN is correct for the domain, and the attempt direct delivery box is
not ticked.

Graham.

0
someone913 (592)

Hi Graham,

Try using an smtp connector instead and let us know what happens.  You are
using the ip address of the smarthost in square brackets [x.x.x.x] aren't
you?

Craig

--
Craig Philbeck
a-cphil@online.microsoft.com

Please do not send email directly to this alias.  This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

"Graham Broadbridge" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have a (seemingly) quite bizarre problem.
>
> Basically even though I've told Exchange Server 2000 to use a smart host
for
> mail delivery (under the default SMTP server - Advanced Delivery tab),
> exchange insists on attempting to connect direct to the recipients MX
> server.  I've done this before on dozens of Exchange 2000 servers and
never
> seen this behaviour.
>
> Anyone have any idea what may stop Exchange 2000 server using a smart host
> ??
>
> The FQDN is correct for the domain, and the attempt direct delivery box is
> not ticked.
>

> Graham.

0
a-cphil (97)
2/12/2004 10:10:08 PM
Hi Craig and thanks for the advice.  It worked :-)

Adding an SMTP connector worked but I don't understand why.  In the past
I've used connectors to link Exchange servers with Domino servers, etc, but
I've never found it necessary to use an SMTP connector for outbound mail.
The default virtual SMTP server has always worked for me (even with a smart
host).

This may be 'just one of those things'

BTW I had tried using the IP address of the smarthost (in the square
brackets) and it made no difference.  I try to avoid fixed addresses and
tend to let the resolver do it's job.

Thanks again for the help, mail is flowing and that is all that really
matters.

Regards
Graham.

"Craig Philbeck [MSFT]" <a-cphil@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Graham,
>
> Try using an smtp connector instead and let us know what happens.  You are
> using the ip address of the smarthost in square brackets [x.x.x.x] aren't
> you?
>
> Craig
>
> --
> Craig Philbeck
> a-cphil@online.microsoft.com
> Microsoft PSS
>
> Please do not send email directly to this alias.  This alias is for
> newsgroup purposes only.

rights.
> "Graham Broadbridge" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have a (seemingly) quite bizarre problem.
> >
> > Basically even though I've told Exchange Server 2000 to use a smart host
> for
> > mail delivery (under the default SMTP server - Advanced Delivery tab),
> > exchange insists on attempting to connect direct to the recipients MX
> > server.  I've done this before on dozens of Exchange 2000 servers and
> never
> > seen this behaviour.
> >
> > Anyone have any idea what may stop Exchange 2000 server using a smart
host
> > ??
> >
> > The FQDN is correct for the domain, and the attempt direct delivery box
is
> > not ticked.
> >

> > Graham.

0
someone913 (592)

Outlook rule not working
I have a rule that looks at specific words in the subject and then forwards the message to another email address. I receive 2 emails daily with the same subject. Only 1 message gets forwarded. The difference between the 2 emails is that one is sent directly to my email address and the other is forwarded to my email address from a Gmail account that is setup with email forwarding. The email that is forwarded from my Gmail account never gets forwarded by the rule. The subject line of the Gmail email is identical to the subject line of the message that does get forwarded. Does anyone ...

Exchange Rate on Bank Transfer
Is there a way to modify the exchange rate on a bank transfer in the bank transfer screen? It seems I have to enter the Exchange Rate tables and modify the system wide exchange rate. What if the exchange rate for one transaction is different from that of another (since I have multiple bank accounts)? Adam, You can always change the exchange rate on the foreign currency checkbook whether you are transferring from or to it. If the exchange rate does not exist for the date of the transaction, the system will prompt you for a valid exchange rate depending on whether your exchange rates ar...

ASP.NET and Exchange on a domain controller
Hi all I am trying to install Exchange 2003 for testing purposes on a Windows 2003 domain controller box. Whenever I get to the point of enabling ASP.NET on IIS Manager it does not appear there even though ASP.NET is installed on the system. I have gone through the Technet Article 315158. It says in the article that the problem has been fixed with the 1.1 >Net framework. As far as I can tell I do have this version of .Net but still have no joy. ANy help would be greatly appreciated Cheers Isaac de Abreu Johannesburg - South Africa ...

Old servers showing up in "Create an exchange mailbox" wizard.
Greetings, I have a customer who removed some Exchange 5.5 servers in an usual fashion, and as such I removed them from the ORG by using ADSIEDIT to delete them. The problem is these mailbox servers are still showing up as target options in the create a new mailbox selection wizard. How can I clear these dead and gone servers from this list? The SRS databases and ADC are long gone, and the enviornment is native mode 2003. Also I thought at one point making a server a front-end server made it not show up in this list. I see all their front-end servers in this list, so I am guess my recollectio...

Problem With Front End Server Exchange 2003
i m running exchange 2003 Stan on server 2003. i got Error message on my screen There is no RPC-HTTP Front-end in your exchange Organization. There Must be at Lease on RPC-HTTP Front-end Server in the organization before the RPC-HTTp back and serve. so how can i configuration RPCHTTP Front End www.microsoft.com/exchange On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:11:04 -0800, dua <dua@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i m running exchange 2003 Stan on server 2003. >i got Error message on my screen >There is no RPC-HTTP Front-end in your exchange Organization. There Must be >at Lease on R...

Voting Buttons Tracking Not Working (Outlook 2003)
I've seen some replies to this question/problem but for me it did not work when trying the Form Publish. Is there anything else I can do? EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice XML/XSL VB Tester http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/5ab62461-e3bc-4e21-9b2c-13f77a74daff/xmlxsl-vb-tester.aspx Replies to what question/problem? Describe what you're seeing in detail. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming: Jumpstart for Power Users and Administrators http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=54 <murray gree...

Public Folders on Exchange 2003
We ran through the deployment tools and have linked a new Exchange 2003 server to an existing Exchange 5.5 server. We used pfmigrate to create public folder replicas on our target server, the Exchange 2003 server. We have not yet run the command to remove the replicated public folders from our source server (Exchange 5.5 server). Is it true that we would only run this step once we are ready to decommission our Exchange 5.5 server? How do I verify that the folders actually exist on our Exchange 2003 server? The reason I ask is that we are doing backup of our Exchange 2003 server wi...

Outlook 2000 Corp edition connection issue
Hi, I have 70 machines running outlook 2000 corporate install and they are all working fine except one machine. Our environment consists of both win98 ad win2k machines running ofice 97 and oulook 2000. This one particular machines is a intel pIII 550 256mb ram 20gig hdd. This machine is having trouble connecting to the exchange server. It pings at <10ms to the exchange server and all other network applications work great. THis is a recent issue with this machine and the user needs to retry 3-4 times before it will connect. If I have left out any info that would help you be...

COM Add-Ins stopped working
Hi, yesterday at some point I closed Outlook and was surprised to find it hadn't checked for mail in a long time. As a result I got about 20 spam messages in my inbox and right after that Outlook closed. It wasn't long after that that I restarted Outlook, hoping SpamBayes would get to work and start cleaning the mess up. It didn't. Just a bunch of new spam and absolutely no automatic functionality whatsoever from SpamBayes. I tried to open the spambayes menu, I tried clicking its buttons, but none of them would react. I even re-installed SpamBayes to no avail. Then I went to check...

Leave copies on server with Exchange 2003
Hi all, I have a user who normally connects to an exchange server in the office, but he likes to connect to his mail box via pop3 on his phone/pda when out and about. The trouble is that the pda downloads his entire mailbox every time and removes them from his inbox on the server, even when 'Leave a copy on the server' is checked. I've tested this in the office using Outlook Express to confirm that this is happening. How can I have the server leave a copy of everything in the exchange mialbox, while sending new items to the device which requests them? Many thanks, Garet...

Hotmail addressbook into Outlook 2000
Anyone know how to import Hotmail contacts into Outlook 2000 without paying Microsoft for a subscription ? Even if you pay them, Hotmail will not work with Outlook 2000, only 2002 = and later. --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 "Dave Warren" <profpsycho@me2u2me.com> wrote in message = news:rh4ki.18658$KV1.8209@read2.cgocable.net... Anyone know how to import Hotmail contacts into Outlook 2000 without = paying=20 Microsoft fo...

Exchange 2003 / Outlook XP How to lock down email format / colour and disable signatures
My boss wants a uniform email look for everyone throughout the organisation, as users are using bizarre colours for email backgrounds, unusual fonts, and their own personal signatures. To create a standard signature for users using information from AD, I believe there are 2 ways: either create an event sink using a VB script (I dont know how to do do this, so I won't be trying); or use a third party application like Exclaimer (BTW is there a good alternative to this - I have a quote for this but it is pretty damn expensive for what it does). To prevent users from using their own signatur...

CONVERT not working
I loaded the Analysis pack addin, typed 100 in B1, in B2 typed =CONVERT(B1, "F", "C") and I get #VALUE, no matter what I do. I changed number format also but of no avail. What's wrong? Do you get TRUE if you do =ISNUMBER(B1) If you get FALSE you should get that error? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "dindigul" <padhye.m@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O7oHwQ7eHHA.2376@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I loaded the Analysis pack addin, typed 100 in B1, in B2 typed =CONVERT(B1, >"F", "C") and I get #VALUE, no matter what I do. I...

Mailbox Manager doesn't work
We're running Exchange 5.5 w/SP4 and the drive housing our Information Store is about out of room. I'm frantically trying to get users to remove files, but, would like to be able to force the deletion of Deleted Items from the server. We installed MM on each server (we're running a clustered Exchange server, on WinNT 4.0 w/SP6a), and, have tried to run it several times, in both Audit and actual mode, but...nothing happens. My mailbox is the Admin box, but, I never get any mail, and, the files never get deleted. What am I doing wrong? Thanks! ...

scramble names on work roster
Hi all.. I got this roster on a excell work book. Could you please help me to get the following. the names on the first collumn has to be put random in the grid below the roster. but first check and see if the person work morn shift. only if person 4 is working morning on monday 18 may then his name can be added to the grid below every week i print one of these rosters. these names must be scrambled every week on the below grid. the last condition is that the names must be duplicated as littel as possible From time to time i add or take away names. Geen uitruilings sal ged...

is it possible to have datasheet smart tags appear in a form?
is it possible to have datasheet smart tags appear in a form? Thanks ...

Exchange Tool
getting this error in MSextmx.log when running Version 2 of the tool Please login to profile with admim privilges. Unable find mailbox timezone: error:0x80004005 The user I am logged onto and using OL has full permissions and send as on all the mailboxes in the exchange. Any thoughts, Thank you in advance. sometimes you just have to manually enter the server name and timezone yourself, it should look like this: /O=myorg/OU=my1admingroup/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=sid myserver Mountain Standard Time "WILDPACKET" wrote: > > getting this error in MSextmx.log when running V...

Recreate Exchange 2000 with Disaster Recovery Switch
How do I do that? Please be explicit. I'm very new to the admin of Exchange. I've only done two "vanilla" installs. TIA, seems after reading for a while I would use a cmd box to go to the dir on the CD and issue "setup /disasterrecovery". If that is correct, am I to assume that this will "re-use" my existing data? By that I mean I plan to issue this statement on a machine where Exchange is hosed but the data store seems to be in tact. "bestbapu" wrote: > How do I do that? > > Please be explicit. I'm very new to the admin...

BSTR from VC++ not working inVB
Hi, I have created an Active X component in VC++ 6.0 I have exported a method with signature BSTR funcAdd (LPCTSTR name); Now I use this ocx generated in Visual Basic 6.0 form.. I call the function .... like Dim ret As String ret=Obj.funcAdd("Vale"); On checking this return value I get nothing...just empty... Help me with where I am wrong.... Thanks., sandSpiderX please post the implementation of the funcAdd method of the ActiveX control. it is also a good idea to make the "name" parameter a BSTR "sandSpider" <m74.piscean@gmail.com> wrote in messag...

Exchange 2000 Instant Messaging Server not working properly
After I upgrade my windows enviroment from 2k to 2k3.The exchange enviroment is still in Exchange 2000 native mode. But my Instant Messaging Server start having problem. User can not login into the services intermitantly. Is there any solution or explaination for this? ...

POP3 setup Exchange 2003
Can someone point me in the right direction for how to setup POP3 for external users in an Exchange 2003 environment? It is currently setup to send and receive via smtp, I want to allow certain users only access to pickup and send mail via this server via POP3. Thanks Enable the POP3 service and then open up the port (110) on your Firewall. Are you looking for more info? Nue "Ziguana" <Ziguana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CFF74E38-3ACD-4AA0-9177-2424C4E410DC@microsoft.com... > Can someone point me in the right direction for how to setup POP3 for &...

Outlook 2000 closes but doesn't close
If I close OL 2000, then open the Task Manager, Processes. OUTLOOK.EXE is still listed there. Can anyone explain why this is happening? Paul Fenton In news:jjnsj25uf8k3bggljh9bks4tcji5tdq9as@4ax.com, Paul Fenton <pfenton@NOSPAMplgassociates.com> typed: > If I close OL 2000, then open the Task Manager, Processes. OUTLOOK.EXE > is still listed there. > > Can anyone explain why this is happening? > > > Paul Fenton 1. Use file | exit & log off, rather than clicking X 2. Addin software, for handheld sync/fax/antispam/antivirus/whatnot, can do this. disable mail ...

Multiple Exchange boxes in one domain
Hi all, I have the following setup for my domain: HQ: Server 2003 Exchange 2003 We have a branch office located on another industrial estate 1/2 mile away, and we currently connect to them via WiFi (11Mb) and they are in the same domain and subnet as us. I am looking to add a second exchange box at their site so they can get their mail "locally". When I look at setting it up tho ot seems that exchange will still send the messages across the WiFi due to there only being 1 MX record? Is there a way I can get them to recive their mail directly over their own Broadband link? Also ...

Can't upload business card in Outlook 2000 as I can for Outlook
Express allows you to upload a business card that is like a header at the top right of every e mail. Outlook seems to only allow a V card which is not visable when sending e mails. Express allows the card to show without blocking the entire page . Express has tools, options, compose, and under Stationary you can upload a new jpeg along with the signature at the bottom. Outlook has almost the same feature, but when trying to upload the stationary, the card duplicates itself and covers the entier page like wallpaper which does no good. HELP Doug In news:9364D241-098E-48F4-9B5A-DB4411A4...

outlook 2000 adding hotmail
How do i add hotmail to my outlook 2000. i only see options for pop3 and IMAP Please help. Jeremiah That is correct. Outlook 2000 doesn't support HTTP e-mail. You'll need to upgrade to Outlook 2002 or 2003 for that or use a third party toll like Hotmail Popper -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "jeremiah" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27d7401c463f9$73b8e480$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How do i add hotmail to my...