Sizes for OST files different for same mailbox?

I have someone asking me about OST files, and I have been able to answer =
most questions.  However, it appears the OST file on the laptop is about =
a third the size of the OST file on his desktop computer even though =
there doesn't appear to be any data missing.

Does this discrepency in size indicate some problem or is there a basic =
explanation?

carl
0
Vagabond

Was the ost on the laptop created after the desktop? As items are
deleted from the mailbox, the mailbox may shrink by not necessarily
the ost.

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:32:17 -0800, "Vagabond Software"
<carlfenley-X-@-X-san.rr.com> wrote:

>I have someone asking me about OST files, and I have been able to answer most questions.  However, it appears the OST file on the laptop is about a third the size of the OST file on his desktop computer even though there doesn't appear to be any data missing.
>
>Does this discrepency in size indicate some problem or is there a basic explanation?
>
>carl

0
adavid (8731)
1/8/2005 12:35:52 AM
Andy David - Exchange MVP wrote:
> Was the ost on the laptop created after the desktop? As items are
> deleted from the mailbox, the mailbox may shrink by not necessarily
> the ost.

....also, what else may be set up to sync (public folders?) on the computer
that has the bigger OST file?

> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:32:17 -0800, "Vagabond Software"
> <carlfenley-X-@-X-san.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I have someone asking me about OST files, and I have been able to
>> answer most questions.  However, it appears the OST file on the
>> laptop is about a third the size of the OST file on his desktop
>> computer even though there doesn't appear to be any data missing.
>>
>> Does this discrepency in size indicate some problem or is there a
>> basic explanation?
>>
>> carl

0
lanwench (7567)
1/8/2005 5:13:17 AM
If the other two items don't result in a similar-sized OST, compress the OST
for both and see if they are the same.

Just to add a note to the other two:

Has the laptop been in use more/longer than the desktop?  Has he moved
things from his mailbox to a .pst, on the laptop, before setting up the
desktop computer?

From the workstaion, exit out of Outlook.  Open the mail properties from the
control panel.  View the account and select the Offline Folder Settings.
That should have the OST file listed in it.  Click the Compress Now (or
Compact Now) button.  After that completes exit out of Outlook and re-enter
Outlook and see if the files are a similar size.

Off-topic:
San.rr - for San Diego - Sorry about the bad decision that was made to delay
the kick until the 4th down and sorry about Eaton's cheap shot.

"Vagabond Software" <carlfenley-X-@-X-san.rr.com> wrote in message
I have someone asking me about OST files, and I have been able to answer
most questions.  However, it appears the OST file on the laptop is about a
third the size of the OST file on his desktop computer even though there
doesn't appear to be any data missing.

Does this discrepency in size indicate some problem or is there a basic
explanation?

carl

0
BobChristian (293)

Distribution Files for MFC in VS .net 2003

file cloning
I was wondering. How come it is possible to clone a file (using right click copy/paste file), but not possible to do this for other documents (apps and clip-art etc)?. Could it be possible to have an add-in in excel to prevent people from copying documents on their desktop?? -- shnim1 You can copy files that way (rightclick|copy, rightclick|paste). But most windows applications are no longer just simple .exe files (like back in the old DOS days). They usually have tons of other stuff that gets installed with them--and that stuff gets scattered all over your harddrive (windows folder, wi...

how to build the netsample ipconfig to the exe file?
C:\WINCE500\public\common\oak\drivers\netsamp\ipconfig\ipconfig.cpp i want to make ipconfig.exe. and i could found the sample code. but it source code builded to the lib file. in ipconfig sources files, TARGETNAME=ipconfig TARGETTYPE=LIBRARY SOURCES= \ $(TARGETNAME).cpp the project is .lib file. but the source code has a _tmain() funciton in the source. it's looks possible to compile to the exe file. how can it compile to the exe file? You can add the SYSGEN_NETUTILS and you will have the ipconfig.exe integrated to your OS. Search ipconfig in the cat...

outlook can't receive exe files

How to sort calendar entries on "size"
I would like to remove large size calendar entries by being able to sort on "size". I am able to sort Inbox items on size but not calendar. My company's exchange server has email account size quota and a 3rd of that quota is being held up by calendar entries on the server side, so I would like to get rid of the unwanted past celndar entries that occupy portion of my account quota. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Umesh On 11/18/03 9:21 PM, in article 049b01c3ae43$d9cf01d0$a301280a@phx.gbl, "Umesh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I would...

retrieving folders.old file

Excel 2000 vs. Excel 2002

Opening .prn files in XL2000

Import reg files into Registry, without UAC
Hi, I've got a .reg file to be imported silently in a batch. The file contains only entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, therefore can be imported without elevation. This works well with the regedit /s switch on limited accounts, however on admin accounts, elevation UAC prompt is still shown, even though it's not needed. How can I prevent this? Thanks, Jens Jens M´┐Żller wrote: >Hi, > >I've got a .reg file to be imported silently in a batch. The file contains >only entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, therefore can be imported without >elevation. >...

Retreive a deleted file
How can I retreive a delted file Hi Janet If you have setup Excel to automatically create backup copies; then check that folder for the last backed-up version....If it is from your PC, check out the Recylcle Bin (on your desktop) and restore the file. If the file was on a network drive you may need to contact your network administrator and check whether they can recover. -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Janet" wrote: > How can I retreive a delted file Go into your Recycle Bin. If deleted from there; http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/recover-deleted-files.htm ...

Log file
Where do i find my log files? On an NT based system: go to start, run, type eventvwr, then hit enter. There you'll see the application, system, and security logs. >-----Original Message----- >Where do i find my log files? >. > ...

insert text to different pages and update
Is there a way to insert a text cell from one page put into another page and when the first page cell is updated the second page cell will also be updated. Using the = sign just displays the formula, not the text. :confused: Thanks Frank -- fwburkey ------------------------------------------------------------------------ fwburkey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30314 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=505331 Not clear what you are doing wrong. the formula should look lik =Sheet1!A1 Make sure there is noth...

Need to show file properties dialog box
Hello I need to show the shell's file properties dialog box. I tried converting old vb6 code into vb.net but it gives me error. Here's my code: Private Structure SHELLEXECUTEINFO Dim cbSize As Long Dim fMask As Long Dim hwnd As Long Dim lpVerb As String Dim lpFile As String Dim lpParameters As String Dim lpDirectory As String Dim nShow As Long Dim hInstApp As Long Dim lpIDList As Long Dim lpClass As String Dim hkeyClass As Long Dim dwHotKey As Long D...

how to read .MSG files without Outlook ?
How to read .MSG files without Outlook ? Do you know a good .msg viewer ? Thanks to everybody ... E. to the best of my knowledge, there isn;t a msg viewer. You need to use outlook or exchange messaging client. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ ...

Does table size make a difference in how well Access protects data
I am having a problem that has been going on for several weeks now. I am slowly trying to figure it out. the problem is that Access 2003 keeps deleting records after they are entered. Quick view of database: running Access 2k3 back end and frontends, 12 machines access the DB at any one time, mixture of Win2k Pro and Win XP pro all patches and service packs installed for all OS's as well as Access 2k3. Running Client/server set up controlled by Small Business Server 2k3. database resides on a machine running XP Pro. when new orders are entered into the system, the DB will tell the d...

Repair Corrupt Excel File
I have an excel 2003 workbook that will not open. The file is about 14MB. I have tried the repair utility within Excel but it still will not open. Anyone have any ideas? I have had success opening corrupt files with OpenOffice http://openoffice.org In article <CF4A5951-DCD9-4508-B995-FB7F6585BF78@microsoft.com>, "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have an excel 2003 workbook that will not open. The file is about 14MB. I > have tried the repair utility within Excel but it still will not open. > Anyone have any ideas? The Spreadsh...

How to move task on completion to a different folder?
Guys, I'm a real newbie to outlook. What I want to do is have a task list that when I click to say that a task is complete, I would like it moved to another folder that I have setup called tasks done. I cannot find a way to do this and there is no way I can see to record a macro. I just get a visual basic editor, and I know absolutely nothing about coding. Is this something someone could guide me through or am I resigned to dragging the completed task to the done task folder for eternity. Thanks, Rav. ...

How to delete stuck file from "All Junk e-mail" Box ?
How to delete stuck file from "All Junk e-mail" Box ? I'm using WLM on Win7. Thanks for any help. "Jdr" <omni@msn.net> wrote in message news:C2919371-6A82-4478-A411-8FEB13F66B41@microsoft.com... > How to delete stuck file from "All Junk e-mail" Box ? > I'm using WLM on Win7. Thanks for any help. try dragging it to the deleted folder. "c.d." <invalid@iglou.com> wrote in message news:es$OnIzzKHA.4384@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > > "Jdr" <omni@msn.net> wrote in message > news:C29193...

Find two different, unknown, names in list
I have a football spreadsheet with different picks listed in columns. For example, one column has picks: Ala, Ala, Ala, Tex, Ala, Tex, etc. How can I have both names displayed at the bottom of the column: Ala and Tex? The first name is easy, simply select the top pick in the column. The second pick is the "other" name. How can this be done? Thanks, Ed M. On Dec 29, 6:32=A0am, Ed_M <edmto...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a football spreadsheet with different picks listed in columns. > For example, one column has picks: Ala, Ala, Ala, Tex, Ala, Tex, etc. > How...

Conflict recovering old mailbox
I have a problem with an old deleted mailbox and a new mailbox. At some level they must share the same DN because if I try to reconnect the old mailbox (Jobs) to a different user it informs me that the "DN/...CN/Jobs" "The specified value is already in use by Jobs". I created a new user, Jobs2. I deleted Jobs and the new mailbox. I can reattach either the old or new mailbox to Jobs2 but when I try to reconnect the other mailbox I receive the same error as above with Jobs2 listed. Is there a way I can use adsi edit or Exchange raw to reassociate this mailbox with a d...