Size mismatch between stm/edb files and mailboxes

I am puzzled!

Am running out of diskspace on our exchange drive and badly need to
reduce the size of the exchange database.

The total size of the priv1.edb and stm files is approx 6Gb.

If I add up the total size of all the mailboxes as shown in ESM it comes
to approx 1.5 Gb.

Running eseutil /ms and calculating the free space for both files gives
me approx 1.2Gb, which is what I believe I will regain by defragging the
store.

So where is my remaining 3.3Gb gone!!!!

The online maintanence is completing fine each night.

Deleted item retention is set to 0, and we haven't deleted any large
mailboxes recently.

I am completely stumped, what is going on?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

thanks

Mark

Look for event ID 1221 in your app log to see how much white
space it is reporting.

Todd

"Markvr" <markvrwebsites@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I am puzzled!
>
> Am running out of diskspace on our exchange drive and badly need to
> reduce the size of the exchange database.
>
> The total size of the priv1.edb and stm files is approx 6Gb.
>
> If I add up the total size of all the mailboxes as shown in ESM it comes
> to approx 1.5 Gb.
>
> Running eseutil /ms and calculating the free space for both files gives
> me approx 1.2Gb, which is what I believe I will regain by defragging the
> store.
>
> So where is my remaining 3.3Gb gone!!!!
>
> The online maintanence is completing fine each night.
>
> Deleted item retention is set to 0, and we haven't deleted any large
> mailboxes recently.
>
> I am completely stumped, what is going on?
>
> Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
>
> thanks
>
> Mark

0
tbooher (148)
10/6/2006 9:22:01 PM
Todd Booher wrote:
> Look for event ID 1221 in your app log to see how much white
> space it is reporting.
>
> Todd
>

> "Markvr" <markvrwebsites@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I am puzzled!
> >
> > Am running out of diskspace on our exchange drive and badly need to
> > reduce the size of the exchange database.
> >
> > The total size of the priv1.edb and stm files is approx 6Gb.
> >
> > If I add up the total size of all the mailboxes as shown in ESM it comes
> > to approx 1.5 Gb.
> >
> > Running eseutil /ms and calculating the free space for both files gives
> > me approx 1.2Gb, which is what I believe I will regain by defragging the
> > store.
> >
> > So where is my remaining 3.3Gb gone!!!!
> >
> > The online maintanence is completing fine each night.
> >
> > Deleted item retention is set to 0, and we haven't deleted any large
> > mailboxes recently.
> >
> > I am completely stumped, what is going on?
> >
> > Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Mark

I've checked and it says 1249Mb which is similar to what running
eseutil /MS gave me.

The online maintanance (log numbers 700 and 701) appears to be
completing OK.

So I am still missing about 3 gig of space!  I'm running a defrag at
the moment, but presumably that will only restore the approx 1.3gb of
data as reported above.

This is Win2000 SBS.  We did run a backup recently and mistakenly tried
to backup the M: drive which filled up the C drive with transaction
logs which we've cleared.

A few days later the edb/stm files grew by about 1 gig overnight for no
apparent reason, there was certainly no mail anywhere near that size
coming in.

Any ideas?  I'm stumped and have spent hours searching the internet for
solutions to this.

There is certain duplication of data between .edb and .stm - incoming
SMTP message is written to .stm first, with some properties written to
..edb so that Outlook could see the message. As soon as Outlook accesses
the message it is converted and written to .edb (but not deleted from
..stm).
What is the size of .edb alone?

--
Text from most Windows dialogs can be copied to clipboard with Ctrl-INS.

Free productivity applications suit - www.openoffice.org
Free Internet calling - www.skype.com
Free SQL database Firebird - full support for transaction control,
triggers, stored procedures, partial SQL-99 compliance
http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&s=1142758270:704186&page=what_is_interbase
Free graphics image manipulation program - www.gimp.org
0
kpalagin (1838)

Archiving user's mailbox to .PST file
Hi, It has been a while since I have done this, but could somebody tell me the best way to archive a user mailbox to a .PST file on Exchange? The user is no longer with the company and we need to keep his mailbox for legal purposes. I was going to give Everyone permission to his mailbox, open it in my Outlook, and do an Export from Outlook. However, I think there was a better way of doing this, but how?!? Please help, Andy The easiest way to do this is to run Exmerge against the Exchange server. This will automatically pull everything out to a PST file, and optionally, reimport i...

Can not close archieve file
I've opened several archieve files however now they will not close. When I try the archieve file the message "The operation failed. An object could not be found." appears. What can be done to close these files? thanks, Allen What version of Outlook and how are you trying to close them? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Allen asked: | I...

OST file handling
Can I create new items in OST file which will be available through OWA as well. ?? In news:eXl2foWqFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl, OfficeUser <Office@mailinator.com> typed: > Can I create new items in OST file which will be available through > OWA as well. ?? No - OST files are used by the full Outlook client only and can't be used/accessed in OWA. OfficeUser <Office@mailinator.com> wrote: > Can I create new items in OST file which will be available through > OWA as well. ?? OWA has no knowledge of the OST. If you create a new item in Outlook while of...

outlook slow when attaching files to email
Whenever I start to drill down and try to attach a file in outlook 2k3 it takes FOREVER to finally get to the folder where the file is I want to attach. This is a Dell LatitudeD520 running Windows XP SP3 and Office 2k3 SP3 with all the updates from MS update website. I have also done a chkdsk /r in recovery console thinking it may be file sys corruption. I have also defraggged. I dont expierence any other similiar issues like this outside of Outlook. Are you on a network and have mapped network drives? "big country" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:OTB...

Read excel file and read in a cell into a var in VBA
Using the VBA from excel, I want to write a code to open another excel file and access an individual cell in that excel file, then assign it to a variable declared in VBA. Is this do-able? James S wrote: > Using the VBA from excel, I want to write a code to open another excel file > and access an individual cell in that excel file, then assign it to a > variable declared in VBA. Is this do-able? Yes. -- ..NET: It's About Trust! http://vfred.mvps.org Hi James, I'd like to give you a little more detail. The following macro demontrates how to get da...

missing file SKU011.CAB
trying to install office standard 2007. Did sucessfully install on lap top. Unable to install on desk top. error message states that file SKU011.CAB is missing. What do I do? Someone please assist. Thanks! "Hoot" <Hoot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C17FD55-A25F-41F2-8E95-8EB31B024839@microsoft.com... > trying to install office standard 2007. Did sucessfully install on lap > top. > Unable to install on desk top. error message states that file SKU011.CAB > is > missing. What do I do? Someone please assist. Thanks! ...

Restore a deleted file?
After many hours of entering inventory for my at home business, I had 2 excel pages open and when I closed what I thought was one of them, it closed both and none of the information I entered for my inventory was saved Is there a way to recver the lost information? Sorry, no. For the next time: You may want to take a look at Jan Karel Pieterse's AutoSafe (note spelling) program. It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or puts them in the recycle bin). And the use...

Data from .txt file being read in as date, and should be text #2
I have a macro that reads in data from a .txt file. The data contains user IDs that consist of the first 4 letters of their name and 4 numbers. When names are read in that begin with MARCxxxx (ie MARC1234), excel is formating them as a date, and I lose the original data (even when I try to format them after the import, they are a number and the letters are not there. I've tried to format the column that they data read into before the import, but excel still imports them as a date. How can I make the import be read as text? Here is the code for the section I am reading in data for. Do Whi...

Hard Drive Crash---Import pst file
I have a back-up file (~ 3.3 GB) of Outlook 2007 from crashed hard drive . When I try to import PST file I get the following message: "Errors have been detected in the file" Tried Scanpst.exe to no avail. When I try to open directly from the recovered file using Outlook I get a message that the "attachment size exceeds the allowable limit" Suggestions on how to import/repair PST file would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jimmy Is this backup a copy of a pst file or was it created with some backup software? Is this file located on the current hd? Are...

size limit for a user's exchange mailbox
Hi there Is there a practical limit to the size that a user's exchange can grow to? Incidentally, is this different from the theoretical limit? Best regards Loane For practical reasons, you should restrict users to 200MB mailboxes. The theoretical limit of the MB size is not restricted and can be as large as the DB itself can get...which at this time is limited only by the hardware capacity that you store it on. There are WAY many reasons that a MB of large size will never be functional anyway...but thats for a totally different discussion. Rummie "Loane Sharp" <l...

How to get current File Pointers Physical Position on Drive/CD/DVD...
Hi, i am looking for a way to get the current file pointers position on the Media i want to read/write. The Application will be written in .NET (2.0). Are there any Win32 Functions to retreive the position on the Media, e.g. Drive Sector/ Cluster, etc... TIA Best regards Kerem G�mr�kc� is this helpful .........???? http://ext2read.sourceforge.net/documentation/inside-hard-disk/ "Kerem G�mr�kc�" <kareem114@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uuFm%23Dd8GHA.3644@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > i am looking for a way to get the current file pointers position o...

The Registry Cannot load the hive (file)
I have a friend and apparently the Lord doesn't like him very much. He gets a blue screen of death with the following message. The Registry Cannot load the hive (file) \systemroot\system32\config\software or its lot or alternate. it is corrupt, absent ot not verifiable. I googled this message and the only way I see to fix it requires the Windows media. He is currently traveling the world and doesn't have his CD with him. Is there a way for him to recover the registry some other way? This is why I use a Mac.... -- http://www.vatican.va Father Justin <justin@no...

Problem importing Eudora mail files
System is running XP Pro / Outlook 2002 SP-2. Trying to import mail files from Eudora lite 5.2. The address book info came over fine, but Outlook 2002 cannot seem to read the Eudora mail files. Keep getting an error message "Cannot access application files. Please check to be sure that program is not being accessed by other applications." ...

How to Display Leading Zeros in CSV file
Hi All, one of my applications is creating a CSV file from database but when that file is opened in Excel then some columns with actual values are 0020 are displayed as 20. How can I ask Excel to not truncate those leading zeros. My users don't want to do anything on their side to fix this...They want the CSV file ready before they work on it. Pls. help. Thanx and Regards Save the file as txt, open it with excel and the import text wizard will start, in step 3 you can select the column data format and if you select text the leading zeros will import -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "R...

multiple events in single .vcs file
How do I create a file that has mutliple events in one single file? I would like to create a file that has all of the sporting events listed for employees to be reminded in their calendar. http://www.calendar-updates.com You can create your own Holidays/Events calendar using the instructions on this page: http://www.slipstick.com/calendar/holidays.htm#company --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After search...

Back up copies of Files in My Documents in Word 2003
Every time I try to delete back up copies in "Open" in My Documents, it creates another copy. I am up to 166 copies of unwanted files. They are not shown in the pull-down of Word Documents only, but in All Files. -- Carole Campbell You are probably inadvertently dragging and dropping them in the same window. Drag and drop them in the Recycle Bin or simply press the delete key. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Wo...

How to save Publisher 2003 files to Web using older Publisher for.
In the Office 2000 version of Publisher, I was able to save files in a Web format that included separate .html and graphic files. Now, with Publisher 2003, the "Save As Web" function creates file outputs that are no longer compatible with Adobe Acrobat. Is there a way to save Publisher files inthis older format for the Web? Use File, Publish.... to get the "filtered" html don't use File, Save as..., web David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] http://www.publishermvps.com http://www.davidbartosik.com "Steve D'Erasmo" <Steve D'Erasmo@discussions.micros...

Mailbox size limit for a user mailbox?
Hi! We deployed Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition + SP1. What is the mailbox size limit for a user mailbox? We cannot create more than 2 GB mailbox store for any user. Is it a limitation or can we create more than 2 GB mailbox per user? Best Rgeards Mustafa On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 02:10:04 -0700, "mustafa" <mustafa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi! >We deployed Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition + SP1. > >What is the mailbox size limit for a user mailbox? We cannot create more >than 2 GB mailbox store for any user. Is it a limitation or can we create >mor...

Full mailboxes ens up with lost mails
Im helping a small company with SBS 2003 and there mailbosex exceded the storage limit and now the mails sent after that is lost, how can i recover those lost mails please help me its really urgent Roger wrote: > Im helping a small company with SBS 2003 and there mailbosex exceded > the storage limit and now the mails sent after that is lost, how can > i recover those lost mails please help me its really urgent Mailboxes where - on the Exchange server? On the ISP's server in POP mailboxes? If you're using the SBS POP connector, best to post in m.p.windows.server.sbs. ...

Extracing embedded images from an XLS file
I have a customer who manually maintains a catalog of products in an Excel file, one item per row, with a picture of the item embedded into the first cell on each row. They want to webify this catalog, so I need to pull out the images. Is there a utility or method (using VBA, etc.) to automatically extract all the embedded images into separate BMP or JPG files? Thanks. -- Paul Try saving the workbook as a .html file. Then you'll see another folder under the folder that holds that file that contains all the pictures. Paul wrote: > > I have a customer who manually maintain...

Trying to play file
I downloaded a visualization from the downloads site. I tried to open the file and got the following: "Windows Media Player cannot play file. Player might not support this file typeor the codec that was used to compress the file". his download was from Microsoft so I don't understand why it won't play. Do I need a newer version of the media player or what? Name: PsychedeliaVizPac.msi Type:Windows Insataller-package 5.53MB From: download microsoft.com Windows media player 11 32 bit dazed and confused papahyle wrote: > I downloaded a visualization from the ...

Print a .txt file
Hi, How can I programmatically print a specific text file ? (without using CPrintDialog) Yoav. Hi Yoavo, > How can I programmatically print a specific text file ? (without using > CPrintDialog) If you really just want to print a txt file you can use ShellExecute with "print" as verb: ShellExecute(yourHwndOrNULL, _T("print"), yourTextFilePath, NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL); You find details here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb762153(VS.85).aspx If that does not fit your needs, please describe what you want to do and what is missing in ShellExecute ...

Exchange 2003 Mailbox rights
Hi, I just migrated all of my exchange 5.5 mailboxes to Exchange 2003 and still running in mixed mode. I have exchange admin rights, but when I try to add a mailbox to my outlook I receive a permissions denied error. I checked the AD and my account has a greyed out deny checkbox next to full mailbox rights. I cannot take ownership, uncheck the deny option, or stop the object from accepting rights from the parent object. How do I uncheck that deny box? Where do the security rights propogate from? -Frank Frank wrote: > Hi, > > I just migrated all of my exchange 5.5 mailbox...

converting pdf files to pub files keeping same layout?
I am working on a pub document and need to add a pdf file to it. No idea how to do this and at the same time keep the correct layout of the pdf file? can anyone please help? -- I am new to windows xp and am looking for help and guidance. I appreciate your time. Thanks people kezaaa <kezaaa@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I am working on a pub document and need to add a pdf file to it. No > idea how to do this and at the same time keep the correct layout of > the pdf file? can anyone please help? Try inserting the PDF through Insert >...

hidden rows & columns slow file open
Hi, I have found that if I have extensive Rows and Columns Hidden in the Sheets of a large Workbook, that it causes Excel 2000 to take a long time to open a file. It opens quickly in version 2003. If I set all Columns and Rows to Hidden = False during the BeforeSave event in ThisWorkbook sheet, the file re-opens quickly. Note: During use of the workbook I have individual Worksheet_Active event procedures that set certain Rows and Columns to Hidden = True based on various criteria. Is this a known issue, and the only solution? It makes saving the file slow... not as slow as opening, bu...