Setup replacement Exchange 2000 server

We run Exchange 2000 Server SP3 on a Compaq DL380 Proliant generation 1
server.  I purchased a new DL380 G4 to replace the old server.  I cannot
upgrade to Exchange 2003 server because our agency cannot afford it at this
time.  I need to keep the same host name and file structure on the new server
and I know how to do that.  But, I am not sure about how to get the Exchange
data from the old server to the new one.  What are the steps that I need to
take to accomplish this task?
0
wlb1953 (2)

Be careful here.  In order to use the same host name, you will have to power
down the old server before you bring the new one online.  Once the new one
is online, you would run Exchange setup with the /disasterrecovery switch,
then you would restore the Exchange databases from backup.  It will be
tricky.

Is there a reason that the server name has to be the same?  Usually, there
really isn't a need.  If not, then follow the method outlined here and
simply "move" the Exchange pieces to the new server, then decommision the
old one when done.
http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1001&faqname=Exchange%202000&sectionID=1024&sectionName=Exchange%202000%20Move%20Server%20Method
or
http://tinyurl.com/ys7e9 (use if above link wraps)

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"wlb1953" <wlb1953@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We run Exchange 2000 Server SP3 on a Compaq DL380 Proliant generation 1
> server.  I purchased a new DL380 G4 to replace the old server.  I cannot
> upgrade to Exchange 2003 server because our agency cannot afford it at
> this
> time.  I need to keep the same host name and file structure on the new
> server
> and I know how to do that.  But, I am not sure about how to get the
> Exchange
> data from the old server to the new one.  What are the steps that I need
> take to accomplish this task?

0
Ben
4/5/2005 9:28:48 PM
I don't know if the server name has to be the same.  That's why I'm here.  I
would rather not worry about it if I don't have to.  However, the IP address
of the new server will have to be the same or I'll have to make a lot of
firewall changes, which I would rather avoid, plus DNS changes.  Also, if the
server name changes won't the Outlook clients be unable to find the new
server?

If you don't think that this plan will work, please let me know.  I want to
get this right, so I'm not in a rush.

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> Be careful here.  In order to use the same host name, you will have to power
> down the old server before you bring the new one online.  Once the new one
> is online, you would run Exchange setup with the /disasterrecovery switch,
> then you would restore the Exchange databases from backup.  It will be
> tricky.
>
> Is there a reason that the server name has to be the same?  Usually, there
> really isn't a need.  If not, then follow the method outlined here and
> simply "move" the Exchange pieces to the new server, then decommision the
> old one when done.
> http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1001&faqname=Exchange%202000§ionID=1024§ionName=Exchange%202000%20Move%20Server%20Method
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/ys7e9 (use if above link wraps)
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
>

> "wlb1953" <wlb1953@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We run Exchange 2000 Server SP3 on a Compaq DL380 Proliant generation 1
> > server.  I purchased a new DL380 G4 to replace the old server.  I cannot
> > upgrade to Exchange 2003 server because our agency cannot afford it at
> > this
> > time.  I need to keep the same host name and file structure on the new
> > server
> > and I know how to do that.  But, I am not sure about how to get the
> > Exchange
> > data from the old server to the new one.  What are the steps that I need
> > take to accomplish this task?

0
wlb1953 (2)
4/5/2005 11:05:05 PM
"=?Utf-8?B?d2xiMTk1Mw==?=" <wlb1953@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I don't know if the server name has to be the same.  That's why I'm
> here.  I would rather not worry about it if I don't have to.  However,
> the IP address of the new server will have to be the same or I'll have
> to make a lot of firewall changes, which I would rather avoid, plus
> DNS changes.  Also, if the server name changes won't the Outlook
> clients be unable to find the new server?

Yep, firewall and DNS changes are inevitable with a new name. MAPI will
allow you to move mailboxes seamlessly (from the client perspective) once
the user logs in once his/her profile will be automatically updated for
the new server.

Regards,

--
Arlo Clizer
Exchange MVP

As far as the IP address, once you take the old server offline, you should
be able to change the IP of the new server.  Changing the IP of an Exchange
server shouldn't cause any problems.  If you take the old server offline
after hours and change the IP after hours, then test, it should allow you to
find any potential problems right away.  Just make sure that once the IP has
been changed, you update the DNS records (ipconfig /registerdns should do
it).

Personally, I'd steer clear from using the same name.  It complicates things
immensely and will likely take much longer to complete than the "Move
Server" method.

Hope that helps.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP
MessageOne

"wlb1953" <wlb1953@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I don't know if the server name has to be the same.  That's why I'm here.
> would rather not worry about it if I don't have to.  However, the IP
> address
> of the new server will have to be the same or I'll have to make a lot of
> firewall changes, which I would rather avoid, plus DNS changes.  Also, if
> the
> server name changes won't the Outlook clients be unable to find the new
> server?
>

> If you don't think that this plan will work, please let me know.  I want
> get this right, so I'm not in a rush.
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Be careful here.  In order to use the same host name, you will have to
>> power
>> down the old server before you bring the new one online.  Once the new
>> one
>> is online, you would run Exchange setup with the /disasterrecovery
>> switch,
>> then you would restore the Exchange databases from backup.  It will be
>> tricky.
>>
>> Is there a reason that the server name has to be the same?  Usually,
>> there
>> really isn't a need.  If not, then follow the method outlined here and
>> simply "move" the Exchange pieces to the new server, then decommision the
>> old one when done.
>> http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1001&faqname=Exchange%202000�ionID=1024�ionName=Exchange%202000%20Move%20Server%20Method
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/ys7e9 (use if above link wraps)
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>>

>> "wlb1953" <wlb1953@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We run Exchange 2000 Server SP3 on a Compaq DL380 Proliant generation 1
>> > server.  I purchased a new DL380 G4 to replace the old server.  I
>> > cannot
>> > upgrade to Exchange 2003 server because our agency cannot afford it at
>> > this
>> > time.  I need to keep the same host name and file structure on the new
>> > server
>> > and I know how to do that.  But, I am not sure about how to get the
>> > Exchange
>> > data from the old server to the new one.  What are the steps that I
>> > need
>> > take to accomplish this task?

0
Ben

Excel 2007 Run Remote/Server/Network/Shared Macro From Custom Butt
In Excel 2003 this was straightforward: add the add-in regarless of location and assign it to a button. I have tried several things in 2007 without success. I've followed the usual links (including to Rondebruin and the others!), local add-ins running remote add-ins, abused my keyboard, kicked some furniture, etc... Still I haven't found a solution. I'm sure the solution isn't as easy as in 2003 but if anyone knows it I would appreciate some advice/directions. Thanks, SQLServant ...

Monitor Server in 2003?

Outlook 2000 not opening.

OWA. CA's. and Exchange 2007

Access 97/2000/2003 comparisons

Outlook Mail via a PROXY SERVER?
If I am using a shared Internet service on a second computer using a PROXY server on the host (first) computer. I can access the net using the PROXY settings on the Internet explorer. However, how do I download mail with OUTLOOK 2000? The proxy server is CCPROXY from YoungZSoft (this runs on XP) and it has the MAIL Settings enabled but the difficulty is what to do on the Second computer? Thanks, -- John jrg_REM_SPAM@bigpond.net.au That would be determined by the proxy manufacturer - check with their support. JM7 wrote: > If I am using a shared Internet service on a second computer ...

Moving Exchange #5

Backing Up Exchange Database

Exchange 2003 IMAP and Postini

SQL Server Connection Failed
Hi everybody, this is my scenario: 1. Windows Server 2008 2. WSS 3.0 + MOSS 2007 3. SQL Server 2008. i'm having this problem: "Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: An error occurred while evaluating the password. [CLIENT: 72.55.191.137]". in this momment i can't see any application from sharepoint. somebody knows how can i do? i don't change the sa password. i don't change anything in the sharepoint configuration. since two days ago i'm having this problem. pls, is very urgent, because i have to deliver this server the next monday to the...

Troubleshooting Exchange
I'm just wanting to write some 'proof of concept' scripts relating to Exchange that would help in troubleshooting any issues. Like the Exchange connections/second, etc. Are there any other qualitative data that can be used in general troubleshooting? Marco ...

Creating Exchange 2003 organization

Is Outlook 2000 compatiple with Windows XP Home?
It seems to be having problems if it is... something like Outlook has experience a problem and must close. I rand the compatibility wizard, but it didn't help. Can you? Hi, I have Outlook 2000 installed on my XP Home machine and it works fine. >-----Original Message----- >It seems to be having problems if it is... something like >Outlook has experience a problem and must close. I rand >the compatibility wizard, but it didn't help. Can you? >. > Rod <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > It seems to be having problems if it is... something...

OL 2000 should not autom send/receive on start
Hi, I found it in OL 2002 but not in OL 2000. How can I define, or better disable, that OL is trying to send/receive mails on starting and closing OL? And it should never automatically try every x minutes to do so. I found this option on OL2000 but my impression is, that OL is still polling the pop3 account for new mails. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks a lot Hans Tools->email accounts->send/receive settings. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail se...

Outlook, Palm Pilot, and Exchange Server
I'm using Outlook with an Exchange Server (2000 Small Business). I installed the software for the Palm Pilot and now it prompts with a dialog box for the user to chose the following when they reply, forward or reply to all on an e-mail message. A Program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose "No". Allow access for (if you check the box) it gives 1, 2, 5 and 10 minutes. If you say no it lets you reply, forward, and reply to all. This is a nuisance more than ...

Outlook 2000 #187
When I launch Outlook 2000, it hangs up. I've installed the upgrade from Office 97 to Office 2000. Can anyone tell me why outlook hangs up. I've check the properties and verified my internet e-mail information. Regards, J. Tolbert Fuller, jr. Houston TX 77093-8411 E-Mail: johntoljr@earthlink.net Fuller John T. <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I launch Outlook 2000, it hangs up. I've installed > the upgrade from Office 97 to Office 2000. Can anyone > tell me why outlook hangs up. I've check the properties > and verified my inte...

Migrating Exchange servers
We are in the process of migrating to a new exchange server. The issue we are having is transfering the user's outlook (xp, 2k) address book/contact list to the new server without manually having to log into everyone's computer and pointing their address books to the new server. Is there a way to do this authomatically server-side? You're moving the mailboxes, right? The user's "address book" is the Contacts folder in the mailbox. So, there's nothing extra to move. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for ...

Outlook 2000 slow to attach files
I am running Outlook 2000 with XP, and when I go to attach a file on the network, it is extremely slow. However, when I go to the same file through Windows Explorer, it is very quick. Does anyone know what this problem might be or how to fix it? ...