Setup Read permissions in Exchange advanced tab

The user is not able to open another user's mailbox even I have added the
user to the mailbox rights tab and given him "Read Permissions".
I try the same with given the user "Full mailbox access", the user will then
able to open the mailbox.
Am I missing anything?

0
kevin6635 (51)

You will have to go into the user's Outlook Client Right Click on thier Inbox
and select > properties > persmissions tab and add the user you want to have
permissions.  Read only will also automatically select the 'folder visible'
option.  this will give the user 'reviewer' rights to the Inbox.  That user
must now go into thier own outlook Client and select File > Open > Other's
user's folder.  In the dialog you select the user who's mailbox you want to
open.

This is how i have always been doing it and i haven't come across anything
that says otherwise.

Cheers
Tony
MCSE

"kevin" wrote:

> The user is not able to open another user's mailbox even I have added the
> user to the mailbox rights tab and given him "Read Permissions".
> I try the same with given the user "Full mailbox access", the user will then
> able to open the mailbox.
> Am I missing anything?

0
Tony6013 (248)
8/6/2004 1:33:02 PM
Then, what does the Read Permissions do under the mailbox rights tab of
Exchange system manager?
If Full Mailbox Access can be given via system manager, why Read Only
Permissions cannot?
I could endup spending half an hour for each mailbox if the mailbox has many
sub-folders....

"Tony" <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You will have to go into the user's Outlook Client Right Click on thier
Inbox
> and select > properties > persmissions tab and add the user you want to
have
> permissions.  Read only will also automatically select the 'folder
visible'
> option.  this will give the user 'reviewer' rights to the Inbox.  That
user
> must now go into thier own outlook Client and select File > Open > Other's
> user's folder.  In the dialog you select the user who's mailbox you want
> open.
>
> This is how i have always been doing it and i haven't come across anything
> that says otherwise.
>
> Cheers
> Tony
> MCSE
>
> "kevin" wrote:
>
> > The user is not able to open another user's mailbox even I have added
the
> > user to the mailbox rights tab and given him "Read Permissions".
> > I try the same with given the user "Full mailbox access", the user will
then
> > able to open the mailbox.
> > Am I missing anything?

0
kevin6635 (51)
8/8/2004 3:04:07 AM
"Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote:

>Then, what does the Read Permissions do under the mailbox rights tab of
>Exchange system manager?

It give the account permission to read the permissions assigned to the
mailbox. It doesn't mean "the account can read the contents of the
mailbox".

>If Full Mailbox Access can be given via system manager, why Read Only
>Permissions cannot?

Because the very act of reading the message would cause the message to
change state -- necessitating a write operation.

>I could endup spending half an hour for each mailbox if the mailbox has many
>sub-folders....

Mailboxes are, by definition, "private". If you require that messages
be read by larg numbers of people then use a public folder.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Private Folder problems on Exchange 2000
Can anyone help with this strange behaviour of Exchange 2000 on Windows 2000 server, clients using Outlook 2000. System boots and Exchange Server runs but on two users (UserA, UserB) on opening Outlook the Outlook Today folder is not expanded and if clicked to expand an error message UNABLE TO EXPAND THE FOLDER APPEARS. Both users can see full information if Web Access is used. In UserB's case he cannot open his list at all but UserA sees all his folders beginning with the letters A and B. UserA has approx. 300 folders and UserB has approx. 500 Additionally there has been an ongoing p...

E-mail Router doesnt get E-mail from Exchange
Hi, I've setup CRM with Exchange E-mail Router successfully until I did either 1 of the following. 1. Disabling E-mail user 2. Change server IP address 3. Installing RAS Does anyone of the above affects Exchange E-mail Router? If not, may i know whether is there any place where i can configure Exchange E-mail Router? Last solution, do you think reinstalling Exchange E-mail Router will help? Any help appreciated. Thanks a lot!! David Loke -------------------------------------------- ReadySpace Network Pte Ltd www.readyspace.com ...

Exchange installation sequence. Pls Urgent
Hi, I am in a stage to build my exchange infrastructure, whch contains: Front end servers Back-end clustered A/P clusters Public folder servers Now, which server shall i install first? is it public folder server? any hepl appreciated 1.Install the back-end clusters first. (In the deployment guide) 2.Then the front-end servers. (In the deployment guide) 3.Followed by the public folders servers -If you don’t have Exchange 5.5 servers in you environment I would upgrade your org to native mode. (In the deployment guide) -Install Exchange service packs on all the servers -Create a mailbox ru...

Change password on Exchange account
I'm trying to change my Exchange server password from within Outlook 2003, but cannot find that function anywhere in the user interface. Am I not observant enough, or is it not possible? dOinK what do you mean by "Exchange server password"? "dOinK" <tvanvik@on_DELETE_line.no> wrote in message news:Mirrc.2814$nd1.1645@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com... > I'm trying to change my Exchange server password from within Outlook 2003, > but cannot find that function anywhere in the user interface. Am I not > observant enough, or is it not possible? > > ...

Permission Denied
Hello I have a procedue to list down my files in my computer onto an Excel Sheet. It worked perfectly. Actually I got it from this forum. However I get the above error message. Help gives 4 explanations including something like 'I have tried to something with registry" or "I have tried to open a file for sequencial output and append". But why now? Why not before? Thank You M Varnendra It would be helpful to see your code. It also might be helpful to know what it's trying to access when it give this error. -- HTH, Barb Reinhardt ...

Incorrect Advanced Filter Action
Hello There, using the advanced filter option I ran into some difficulties. When I asked it to place only Unique Records in a cell it did the following: Source: ARF Codes ARF555 ARF555 ARF000 ARF777 ARF000 ARF555 ARF777 ARF777 ARF555 ARF000 ARF000 ARF000 ARF555 ARF777 Output: ARF555 ARF555 ARF000 ARF777 As you can see there are still to of the same codes. Does anyone know what could have went wrong and what can be done to prevent such a thing? Thanks! Did you have a heading cell on the data when you ran the filter, or was ARF555 in the top cell? If you had a heading, perh...

kb924334 exchange 2003
My backend server automatically downloaded this update but my front end server did not download it. Even if i go to windows update, I do not see it as an available update. I had to manually install this update. Any ideas? Did you go to Microsoft Update on the FE? This is an update to Exchange Server, so Windows Update is not likely to display it as an available update - that's for Windows OS-related updates. Check the \System32 folder on your BE Server - does it have a MUWEB.DLL? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ------...

Recover Deleted Public Folder in Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2003
Help! I have full admin rights and when I try to recover a deleted public folder it looks like it's working but then I get this error, "Outlook was unable to recover some or all of the items in this folder. Make sure you have the required permissions to recover items in this folder, and try again. If the problem persists, contact your administrator." Mindy are you an owner of the folder AND the parent folder? is it a top-level folder? do you have permissions to create top-level folders? "Mindy" <Mindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3D91...

Pivot Table
Is it possible to change the colors of the data when you drill down (double clicking on a cell) into a pivot table? For instance, when I do it now, the source data appears with the header row in a very light blue, and its underlined. That light blue is just too light for my eyes. I'd like to change it. Is this something that I inadvertently setup? or is it an Excel default? Thanks, Graeme I don't know of any way to change the default settings. However, after the sheet has been created, you can choose Format>AutoFormat, and choose a format that you prefer. WyoCracker wrote...

Setup Question in SOP
In Payables, when you choose a vendor and enter an invoice it automatically defaults to the same vendor as you go to enter the next invoice. I am unable to get this process to work in the Receivables & SOP modules. Is this a setup issue or it just does not do it for those modules. Any input would be appreciated because this is really a helpful tactic. Thanks Barb No, they don't work that way. Most of the time, customers requests for products are all entered on one SOP document rather than several different ones. I would bet your sales are done remotely and entered into th...

Exchange 2003 Storage Size Limit
Hi, Is there a way that I can restrict my Exchange administrators from manually modified the storage size for individual users profiles? Somthing like a AD policy. Thanks Why would this do this? Either you trust them or you don't. If you don't then they shouldn't be admins. I don't believe the mailbox limits are exposed via Group Policy. Nue "Tony Negron" <TonyNegron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9020AC8F-C748-4A06-AC21-AA6064EE4AF3@microsoft.com... > Hi, > Is there a way that I can restrict my Exchange administrators from > ...

Error with Setup CRM 3.0
i've windows 2003 server + exchange sever 2003 + sql server 2005 all installed in the same computer (all the servers, named 'CRM') when trying to install CRM 3.0 i've got the message: action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.RSPublishAction failed. the specified path is not metabase path. parameter name: path when trying to mark to install in the current web site the server, the binding is: '192.168.1.3:8888:procom', metabase path: /LM/W3svc/1 so i was trying to create a new web site (the server binding appears is: ':5555:' in the wizard screen appears (setup was unb...

Office/Outlook 2010 compatible with Exchange 2003??
Can anyone at all comment about this topic?? Or must we upgrade to Exchange 2010 to be able to use Outlook 2010?? Thank you, Tom I haven't tried it, but every version of the Exchange Client and Outlook has worked with every version of Exchange, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work, subject to the function set provided by the server. -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "tom12010" <tlyczko@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ce11363b-e307-4003-a1ee-94413106f4a8@v5g2000vbb.googlegroups.com...

can access exchange with outlook only as administrator
hello on one of my pcs in the network the user can access outlook only as administrator. i have reinstalled outlook but no difference. there must be a registry defect. can anybody help? thx kewitz Are you sure this is the PC? Have you modified anything on the Exchange box? Ansgar Kewitz wrote: > hello > on one of my pcs in the network the user can access outlook only as > administrator. i have reinstalled outlook but no difference. there > must be a registry defect. can anybody help? > thx > kewitz ...

Unable to setup email account
I have got a new machine which runs Windows 2000 pro, I installed MS OFfice XP STD. I go to run outlook for the first time so that I can setup the email account etc. I get the following error message "The operation failed due to a registry or installation problem. Restart Outlook and try again. If the problem persists, please reinstall." I am logged in the machine as administrator and I have reinstalled outlook, even run a repair, nothing appear to be working for me. Excel and Word run OK. Any Help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Exchange 5.5 organizations
Hi everyone, In different organizations I got a winNT domain with Exchange 5.5, recipients have xyz@domainNT.com SMTP addresses. Other domain W2K, have Exchange 5.5 too, recipients have xyz@domainW2K.com SMTP addresses. Its possible to "migrate" all mail service from domainNT to domainW2K mantaining the same SMTP address for clients? I said "migrate" as a uninstalling Exchange 5.5 from DomainNT but keeping all other services. Thanks for your help and comments. The answer is Yes. Supply that you have got the exchange server "Move Server Wizard" in Exchan...

HELP! Outlook/exchange public folder problem
Hi, We use an outlook custom contacts folder to manage business contacts in the organization. Suddenly all messages in the inbox opens in this custom form (even in preview). What could be the problem? We run SBS 2003 with exchange and clients are OL 2003/07 Any help solving this problem appreciated. KJ If I explain it further, present scenario is; Outlook reading pane got replaced by outlook default contact form. All incoming messages are now previewed in the notes window of the contact form, instead of the usual reading pane. On May 29, 1:01 pm, Kaps <kapil...@gmail.com> wrote:...

Microsoft Exchange.
Our company is using Outlook 2002. I would like to use the auto reply for my e-mail but we do not have Microsoft Exchange. Is there a way of doing this without Microsoft Exchage? If there is no way, do we have to use MS Exchange or can we use the exchange from our e-mail provider to activate the auto reply option? Thank you for your help. Using the Out of Office Assistant requires Exchange server. You can spoof this function using rules but there are several drawbacks, including the fact that you will auto-reply to spammers, thus confirming a "good" address. If your IS...

Dist lists and Groups won't show up for permissions?
Dist lists and Groups won't show up for permissions? Just migrated from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. Went to set up permissions on a mailbox to share out a calendar. When you go in to select a group to assign permissions it only sees the Dist List that was there before the migration and we get an error when we try to pick it. As a troubleshoot, I tried creating a new dist lists, local security groups, global security groups, basically every group/dist list option available in Active Directory. None of these groups will show up for the User in Outlook to select for permissio...

Exchange 2k SBS & M: drive
I am trying to figure out how to backup the M: drive on a 2k SBS with Exchange. I have searched Google and MS with no results other than "not recommended to bakup the M: drive" and Veritas saying "Use a different method to backup the M: drive". OK so I have figured out that you don't backup the M: drive normally, but I can't seem to find out how to back it up then. Would appreciate any direction on white papers or any information on this. TIA Monty D. Rodgers N7CIX Phoenix, AZ 85053 n7cixREMOVE@cox.net http://members.cox.net/montyd You should not touch th...

read NG but can't post
Hi all I'm a Tiscali customer and just realised that they've dropped their NG server, so I added "news.aioe.org" to microsoft outlook express 6 which loaded fine. I can read the NG's that I have chosen but when I tried a test post I got the following: "server error 441" plus "Error Number: 0x800CCCA9" Could it be I need to change settings i.e Port Number (119) Phone Number (0.38) If so can someone using this server with OE6 post the relevant info? -- Regards p.mc "p.mc" <p@mc> wrote in message ne...

Exchange Error Messages
Hi Everyone, I keep getting these error messages in our Exchange server (Exchange 2003), whenever I disable an Active Directory account. Basically goes like this: " disabled user (then the location in Active Directory) does not have a master account SID. Please use Active Directory MMC to set an active account as this user's master account". The accounts that are disabled, are usually staff on extended, or maternity leave. When they are re-activated, these warning messages go away. Is there a process I am missing, when I want to disable an account?? Deleting their e...

Recurrance Screen Default Setup
I do not want the default setting for the appointments I set and recieve to be recurring. How do I change the recurring appointment screen so that the default appointment is not recurring? "Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D26C8C6F-A8B5-451C-B0C0-7807B7E52FA5@microsoft.com... >I do not want the default setting for the appointments I set and recieve to > be recurring. > > How do I change the recurring appointment screen so that the default > appointment is not recurring? Do you have a Dell? If so, see this: h...

Renaming Tabs
I noticed the answer to this question for 3/24/05, however I can't seem to make it work... --------- this second option assumes that you have all the sheets in the workbook and you want to name them as per the list in A2:A10 Sub namesheets() Dim arr As Variant arr = Range("a2:a10").Value For i = LBound(arr) To UBound(arr) Sheets(i + 1).Activate Sheets(i).Name = arr(i,1) Next i End Sub ------- to use either of the above, right mouse click on a sheet tab and choose view code this will display the VBE Window choose insert / module from the menu and you'll get ...

Outlook 2000 or XP on Exchange 2003 SBS
it appears that the only way Outlook XP and 2000 users can receive their emails is when they highlight an email already in their inbox. For instance, if they are in their Word program and they look into their Outlook, without highlighting an email on their inbox, it would show that they have not receive any emails. However, the moment they highlight an email in their inbox, then they'll receive about 5 emails that appears to have been in some type of queue. It's obvious that they were in there for quite a while because of the time that they were sent. Are these client run...