Setting up Outlook sync with RPC over http - incognito!

    I'm trying to setup my Outlook installation to sync with my school
Outlook servers.  The IT administration has hinted that it's possible
and some students have figured out how to accomplish this, but they
don't want to support it.  Supposedly it's a nightmare to support the
myriad hardware and software configurations of 450 students (doesn't
sound so large does it?).  The only supported means for accessing our
email accounts and utilizing the calendar function of Outlook etc. is
via webmail.

    Webmail address: https://webmail.osumc.edu/exchange/

    The faculty are allowed to setup direct Outlook syncronization, but
I apparently they're on a different server so I can't just copy the
same settings.  It is clear that I need to set up Outlook sync over
HTTP with RPC (is that correct terminology?).

    I know how to set up a new Exchange account on my computer.
However my first problem is what is my Microsoft Exchange Server name?
How can I find that out?  Would it perhaps be in an email header?  I
figure ye knowledgeable ones might know how to decipher my email
headers so I've copied-and-pasted a sample email at the bottom of this
post.

    Then is it correct that my proxy server is as above:
webmail.osumc.edu?  What's up with msstd for "Mutually authenticate the
session..."?

    Also, if my login username is shaw27, but my email address
George.Shaw@ - well which is my login username?  I assume shaw27...

    Thank you!
    George

Sample Email w/Header and random "(XXX)" appended to email addresses -
delete those.  I hope that's marginally effective against bots.

Subject: test email
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 22:15:17 -0500
From: "George Shaw" <George.Shaw@(XXX)osumc.(XXX)edu>
To: <gcshaw@jorj.net>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C5E1B7.256A6818

This is a test email to analyze the header.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C5E1B7.256A6818

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"><HTML =
DIR=3Dltr><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html;
=
charset=3Diso-8859-1"></HEAD><BODY><DIV><FONT face=3D'Arial' =
color=3D#000000 size=3D2>This is a test email to analyze the =0A=
headers.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C5E1B7.256A6818--

0
gcshaw (2)

If its TRUE that its setup correctly on the Exchange Server for RPC over
HTTP then this could be done.  I do not understand the support issues with
IT Administration as the configuration on the clients is minimal.  In fact,
this is used everyday by large corporations to give users full access to
their Outlook Client over a secure connection.  Without knowing any specfics
of your setup I am going to suggest a few links that explain the setup of
the Outlook Client for RPC over HTTP but you will still need the Exchange
Server name as you suggested.

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/outlookrpchttp.html
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Outlook_2003_Connect_Exchange_2003.html

--
John Oliver, Jr.
MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP

<gcshaw@gmail.com> wrote in message
>    I'm trying to setup my Outlook installation to sync with my school
> Outlook servers.  The IT administration has hinted that it's possible
> and some students have figured out how to accomplish this, but they
> don't want to support it.  Supposedly it's a nightmare to support the
> myriad hardware and software configurations of 450 students (doesn't
> sound so large does it?).  The only supported means for accessing our
> email accounts and utilizing the calendar function of Outlook etc. is
> via webmail.
>
>    Webmail address: https://webmail.osumc.edu/exchange/
>
>    The faculty are allowed to setup direct Outlook syncronization, but
> I apparently they're on a different server so I can't just copy the
> same settings.  It is clear that I need to set up Outlook sync over
> HTTP with RPC (is that correct terminology?).
>
>    I know how to set up a new Exchange account on my computer.
> However my first problem is what is my Microsoft Exchange Server name?
> How can I find that out?  Would it perhaps be in an email header?  I
> figure ye knowledgeable ones might know how to decipher my email
> headers so I've copied-and-pasted a sample email at the bottom of this
> post.
>
>    Then is it correct that my proxy server is as above:
> webmail.osumc.edu?  What's up with msstd for "Mutually authenticate the
> session..."?
>
>    Also, if my login username is shaw27, but my email address
> George.Shaw@ - well which is my login username?  I assume shaw27...
>
>    Thank you!
>    George

> Sample Email w/Header and random "(XXX)" appended to email addresses -
> delete those.  I hope that's marginally effective against bots.
>
>>From - Fri Nov 04 22:22:19 2005
> Subject: test email
> Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 22:15:17 -0500
> From: "George Shaw" <George.Shaw@(XXX)osumc.(XXX)edu>
> To: <gcshaw@jorj.net>
>
> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C5E1B7.256A6818
>
> This is a test email to analyze the header.
>
> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C5E1B7.256A6818
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"><HTML =
> DIR=3Dltr><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html;
> =
> charset=3Diso-8859-1"></HEAD><BODY><DIV><FONT face=3D'Arial' =
> color=3D#000000 size=3D2>This is a test email to analyze the =0A=
> headers.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C5E1B7.256A6818--

0
jcoliverjr (1013)

Outlook Express splitting attachments
When I receive some attacments e.g. word docs, .eps files they are being split in two. One I can read and is whole. The second I cannot open. I have been told this could be header information. Why is this happening? Thanks Bruce ...

Possible problem receiving email in Outlook 2007
Hi everyone, I belong to a college that has their own email system. They have limited "features" associated with their system; however, I'm able to have my student emails not only going to the inbox at the college, but also my Outlook 2007 (non-college) email address. What I'm hoping to do is take my emails (the one's I want to save) from folders within the school's email system and forward them to my Outlook address. I tried to forward emails, but it changes the email message and attachment (if there is one) to an .eml attachment. I don't receiv...

Can not delete messages from Sent box in Outlook 2003
I am helping a friend with a computer problem. She is running Windows XP Pro. Within Outlook 2003, she is unable to delete, permanently delete, or move files from her Sent box. She receives the error "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." She has tried running her Inbox Repair Tool, as well as Scan disk. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem? Try creating a new mail profile under control panel->mail icon->show profiles. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep t...

2007 outlook on 2 computers, same server doesn't capture all email
both computers have Outlook 2007 and are looking at the same server. One computer (Acer netbook) captures ALL my emails, while my office computer (Dell) has been missing about 20% for the past 2 weeks. The Dell has all my "files" and the Acer just has no files but all emails are in the inbox. Neither have any "rules". I work about 200+ emails per day for my business. Any ideas? -- Phil Which mail account type are you using? If POP3, make sure you have your account settings configured to leave a copy on the server. See http://www.msoutlook.info/question...

Sharing Contacts and Calendars in Outlook 2000
We have a small peer to peer network of 3 PC's in my office. One is running Windows 98 and the other 2 are running Windows 2000 Professional. All three have Office 2000 Professional. I am using Outlook but I want others in the office to use it also and be able to share contacts and calendars etc. How do I make that happen? http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm should help. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching ...

outlook #146
can anyone tell me what is outlook XP? I use aol, but i need to run a business email aswell. Some one mentioned outlook xp & that i can run it the same time as being on broadband through aol with no extra cost using the same modem. I just need some advise as i dont know much about this software. Thanks Niki <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > can anyone tell me what is outlook XP? I use aol, but i > need to run a business email aswell. Some one mentioned > outlook xp & that i can run it the same time as being on > broadband through aol with no extra ...

outlook signature is greyed out
for some reason outlook signature is greyed out it was working at one time and we created a new profile and then set up the outlook client and at the point is when this happen. ive seen this before but can not remember what i did to fix it..... Hi - what version of Outlook, and are you using Word as email editor? Best to post this (with more info) to microsoft.public.outlook, as it's not an Exchange issue. James wrote: > for some reason outlook signature is greyed out > it was working at one time and we created a new profile and then set > up the outlook client and at the poi...

sync calendar with pda
I have a user that directs all his mail to a personal folder on a laptop. The user uses the calendar on server though so the secretary can keep his calendar up to date. When the user syncs the PDA it picks up the calendar in the personal folders not from the server. Is there a way to let him have his cake and eat it too? Larry larry bowerman wrote: > I have a user that directs all his mail to a personal > folder on a laptop. The user uses the calendar on server > though so the secretary can keep his calendar up to date. > > When the user syncs the PDA it picks up t...

Setting default zoom
Can I set up Word 2007 so that every document automatically opens with 100% zoom, or at least the same zoom the document had when last saved? For some reason, Word documents always open with reduced zoom, too small to read for an old bloke like me. If I could get the documents to open at 100% zoom it would save the need to change the zoom setting every time I open a document. -- Alan Neilsen Change the zoom setting - http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm or You can control the zoom with auto macros in normal.dot. The following will set it to 100% zoom regardl...

Messages reappearing in outlook drafts folder
Hello, I have a client on Exchange 2000, Outlook 2002 who says that old messages are reappearing in his drafts folder that have been sent out in the past...Any ideas? (here's the text of his complaint "My drafts folder keeps randomly resurecting emails from the past and keeping them there. Then the next time I load the program they're gone (or maybe it's after I restart).") --Matt mmucklo@yahoo.com (Matthew Mucklo) wrote in message news:<1085ded3.0403311836.2819afa@posting.google.com>... > Hello, > > I have a client on Exchange 2000, Outlook 2002 who s...

outlook 2002 not sending #2
I recently found that outlook is no longer sending e- mail messages, it recieves them fine. This is happening with both my POP3 account as well as hotmail account (sends find from hotmail webpage). Any suggestions?? Thanks What error messages are you getting? mtnman wrote: > I recently found that outlook is no longer sending e- > mail messages, it recieves them fine. This is happening > with both my POP3 account as well as hotmail account > (sends find from hotmail webpage). > > Any suggestions?? > > Thanks Double check your settings, do youhave a firew...

Outlook address list
Howdy; I use outlook 2000. Any way to set it so it shows the entire email address and not just the person's name? If I were to add myself for instance, after I type it in, it will show "Mitchell Rudin" (underlined) and not mrudin@bellsouth.net. This is really annoying since I need to print address lists for other people. Thanks, Mitch That depends on the view to which you are referring and the mail support mode of Outlook 2000 you are running. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Mitchell Rudin" <mrudin@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:8q1re.1...

Outlook Express v slow to bring up folders
Our outlook express has become extremely slow in opening uo the folders bar. This seems to have happened since agreeing to MSN "monitoring our computer usage - I suspect this means that there is a hidden program running in the background when ever we use internet applications and therefore squandering our available memory. Thoughts & fixes gratefully recieved. info@royaloakhotel.co.uk Neil <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Our outlook express has become extremely slow in opening > uo the folders bar. This seems to have happened since > agreeing to M...

creating workflow using MS Outlook
hi! can anyone help me on how to develop a leave workflow app using outlook. ...

Setting an integer to null
I have a check box on a form that shows YES or NO when displayed as a column in that forms view(s). I'd like it to show YES, but in the case of NO I'd like it to be null. I've tried using the OnChange event for that field and the OnSave event for the form to test if it is not 1 and if so set the DataValue = null. When I go back to the view it still says No. Any advice how to make this work? Hi Bob, Try the following script: if(crmForm.all.new_bittest.DataValue==false) { crmForm.all.new_bittest.DataValue=null; crmForm.all.new_bittest.ForceSubmit=true; } Replace new_bitte...

HTTP 500 internal error on OWA PAGE
When i try to log onto outlook web access i get a http 500 internal error that the page cannot be displayed all related services have been restarted but still no progress help please ihuoma To configure process level value with LOW. "teamann" wrote: > To configure process level value with LOW. Btw where can i change this option also does this solution work if this issue only surface after i've upgraded to exchange SP2? ...

How do I set zoom to default at 100%?
Do you see the big white space underneath the little white space where you typed your question? This is used to type in a longer message containing more details. The message appears in a space like the one you see this one in. I would suggest telling us what version of Publisher you are using, so we can help you further. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

4.0 Outlook client install
When attempting to install the Offline client the install fails about 90% of the way through on several pc's. Office 2003 is being used and other offlline clients have been installed correctly. The following erros are in the log files: Action 11:48:06: SetupCompleteError. Action start 11:48:06: SetupCompleteError. Info 2898. For TahomaBold10 textstyle, the system created a 'Tahoma' font, in 0 character set, of 16 pixels height. Action 11:48:07: SetupCompleteError. Dialog created Action ended 11:48:21: SetupCompleteError. Return value 2. Action ended 11:48:21: INSTALL. Re...

I don't want outlook as my default
When trying to send an attachment in Word I get a message to change my profile in the Mail icon in the control panel. I would rather my mail to be sent from my hotmail or ISP email but not sure what to do. Tried hotmail but still received error message. Need help! In news:A7AF4CB7-5A4B-4EE4-8034-EAA419DD6C4C@microsoft.com, cinnamon <cinnamon@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > When trying to send an attachment in Word I get a message to change my > profile in the Mail icon in the control panel. I would rather my > mail to be sent from my hotmail or ISP email but not sur...

Toolbar questions: Outlook 07
Hi guys, I installed an application for printing Avery Labels and it's put a button on my toolbar. No matter how many times I unclick this option, when I next start Outlook there it is again. Is there a switch I need to use to get rid of this or should I go through the uninstall process? The other question is about having other mail folder shortcuts on the toolbar. I have added Inbox, but can't find a way to have other folders up there with it. Is this possible? Thanks in advance for advice, B Boppy <therealboppy@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi guys, I installed an application for ...

Outlook data file check
Hello, I am using Outlook 2007 on XPSP2. Quite often on startup I get a message the Outlook is doing a file check and performance may be slow. I also often get on computer startup a message requesting me to send an error report to Microsoft that includes a few episodes of Outlook not responding. Any idea what this could be about and how to prevent both? -- Thanks, Bob ...

Outlook 2003 print problem
Hallo I am using outlook 2003 with Windows XP. When i print out an email the text is very small, this only started a few days ago. I did not install any new software or updates. I have since installed sp3 for windows xp but it did not make any difference. I have tried both memo and table formats and it is still the same. Any pointers as to where i should look next would be appreciated. thanks "Stef" <stef@web.de> wrote in message news:F07D1544-692F-4E33-8C88-2B1FADA8F0D5@microsoft.com... > Hallo > > I am using outlook 2003 with Windows XP. When i print out ...

The presentation cannot be opened. Outlook 2010 Beta
I am using Outlook 2010 Beta, and every time I receive a PPT or PPS attachment and try to open it, the following message apears: The presentation cannot be opened. Your antivirus program may prevent you from opening the presentation. To fix this problem, make sure your antivirus program is current and working correctly. If the problem persists and the presentation is from someone that you trust, turn off your antivirus program, and then try to open the presentation again. If you do this, make sure you turn on your antivirus program again after you open the presentation. I hav...

Cannot send emails with attachments in Outlook 2002
I have been using Outlook 2002 for over a year now with success until now - just recently I cannot seem to send emails with attachments anymore. If I go directly to my MSN account I have no problem sending but send with Outlook & my emails just disappear & never reach their destination. Can anyone help please? I have the same rpoblem. I cant read emails with attachments either it just freezes up. If you find out let me know. >-----Original Message----- >I have been using Outlook 2002 for over a year now with success until now - just recently I cannot seem to send email...

Outlook Freezes
Whenever I open my outlook program, it goes all the way to the screen that shows the inbox, but then freezes and will not allow me to do anything. There are a few options that I can suggest: 1) Close Outlook. Search your computer for the HIDDEN file outcmd.dat Rename it outcmd.old and try to open Outlook. 2) Try using the "Detect and Repair" tool on the HELP menu. 3) Try opening Outlook using the ".../Safe" switch. This will perhaps allow you to open Outlook in Safe mode which disables all automation that may be hanging you up. However, you sti...