Setting up a small Exchange server for several businesses

Hi there!

We are looking into the fact to host a Exchange for a few small businesses.
I don't think we need a massive solution like the one Microsoft says in
'Hosting Exchange' documents.

I think that we might get like 500 users on the exchange with 5-10 different
companies.

How should we go further ?
What should we think about when setting up this solution.   Front/Backend
exchange ?   How to set up the AD ?
How to set up the address lists so the companies don't see each others list
and users ?

etc. etc.

Help me out please with a few tips to go further...

/Lasse
Sweden
0
Lars1 (37)

The solution will depend upon what you want to offer to customers in terms
of availability/SLA (uptime, time to recover in case of outages, etc.),
client access (Outlook using MAPI, Outlook using RPC over HTTP, OWA, POP3,
IMAP4), security (firewall, vpn, permissions over GALs, Public Folders,
S/MIME, AntiVirus, AntiSpam, etc.) and features.

Some of the concepts in the hosting docs would still apply even to a small
hosting infrastructure.

Here's a good how-to starting point to do some of the stuff that you have
questions about.
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Shared_Hosting_Exchange_2003_Part1.html
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Shared-Hosting-Exchange-2003-Part2.html

--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

"Lars" <Lars@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there!
>
> We are looking into the fact to host a Exchange for a few small
> businesses.
> I don't think we need a massive solution like the one Microsoft says in
> 'Hosting Exchange' documents.
>
> I think that we might get like 500 users on the exchange with 5-10
> different
> companies.
>
> How should we go further ?
> What should we think about when setting up this solution.   Front/Backend
> exchange ?   How to set up the AD ?
> How to set up the address lists so the companies don't see each others
> list
> and users ?
>
> etc. etc.
>
> Help me out please with a few tips to go further...
>
> /Lasse
> Sweden

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)
10/5/2005 1:48:15 PM
Excellent documents!
Just what I needed!

Regards

Lasse

"Bharat Suneja" wrote:

> The solution will depend upon what you want to offer to customers in terms
> of availability/SLA (uptime, time to recover in case of outages, etc.),
> client access (Outlook using MAPI, Outlook using RPC over HTTP, OWA, POP3,
> IMAP4), security (firewall, vpn, permissions over GALs, Public Folders,
> S/MIME, AntiVirus, AntiSpam, etc.) and features.
>
> Some of the concepts in the hosting docs would still apply even to a small
> hosting infrastructure.
>
> Here's a good how-to starting point to do some of the stuff that you have
> questions about.
> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Shared_Hosting_Exchange_2003_Part1.html
> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Shared-Hosting-Exchange-2003-Part2.html
>
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> --------------------------------
>

> "Lars" <Lars@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there!
> >
> > We are looking into the fact to host a Exchange for a few small
> > businesses.
> > I don't think we need a massive solution like the one Microsoft says in
> > 'Hosting Exchange' documents.
> >
> > I think that we might get like 500 users on the exchange with 5-10
> > different
> > companies.
> >
> > How should we go further ?
> > What should we think about when setting up this solution.   Front/Backend
> > exchange ?   How to set up the AD ?
> > How to set up the address lists so the companies don't see each others
> > list
> > and users ?
> >
> > etc. etc.
> >
> > Help me out please with a few tips to go further...
> >
> > /Lasse
> > Sweden

0
Lars1 (37)

Sync GAL Exchange 2007 offline like outlook anyware?
Entourage 2008 client who work with exchange 2007 outside of the LAN, can sincronize GAL? I read about some options for lookup the GAL online: http://blogs.technet.com/msonline/archive/2008/08/28/global-address-list-gal-access-in-entourage-2008.aspx Is actually some aditional Microsoft Entorage solution? Is posible sync GAL offline like microsoft outlook anyware? On 2/9/10 11:40 PM, Juan C. wrote: > Entourage 2008 client who work with exchange 2007 outside of the LAN, > can sincronize GAL? > > I read about some options for lookup the GAL online: > > h...

Re-set a date to the first of the month
Hello, I need to re-set whatever date is entered in a cell to the first of that month. For example if someone enters 9/11/2008, I need it to be re-set to 9/1/2008. Is this possible, and if so, can you please tell me how to do it?? thanks in advance! You could use a formula in another cell: =date(year(a1),month(a1),1) or =a1-day(a1)+1 Then copy|paste special|values over the original range (a column???) OS wrote: > > Hello, > > I need to re-set whatever date is entered in a cell to the first of > that month. For example if someone enters 9/11/2008, I need it to be > re...

Which Exchange 5.5 services should start manually?
Everyone, I had a recent Exchange problem and had to temporarily set all my Exchange services to start manually. To make a long story short, after everything was repaired I couldn't remember which services need to start manually and which need to start automatically. I have set all the Exchange services to start automatically, and everything works, but I do not believe this is how it should be. Would someone be so kind as to tell me which should of these services should start automatically vs manually? Exchange Directory Exchange Event Service Exchange Info Store Exchange Intertnet Mai...

Unable to create mailboxes after removing first exchange 2003 serv
I have removed the first exchange 2003 server enterprise in our domain and transferred all duties to the other exchange 2003 server enterprise. Emails work however, when I create a new user with a mailbox, the mailbox isn't created. I have followed the procedures outlined in MS KB article 822931. The problem surfaces after I "Rehome the Recipient Update Service" from the old server to the new server. When I change it back to the old server, mailboxes are created. Thanks in advanced for your help. Let us know is that the new users not getting stamped with email ID ? or ...

New Domain
Hello Everybody! I'm not really a very experienced Windows-Admin - the same is about Exchange Server. The facts: - We have a domain with some windows 2000 servers, about 400 Users - We have also an Exchane 2000 Server with about 400 Mailboxes Now we began to migrate to windows 2003. Because there were problems earlier (I think when we installed Exchange 2000 first time) we have to do some "hacks" in the AD with a tool to manually edit the LDAP-Directory ... Thats why we want to install the servers new - we will not upgrade with the setup-programs to 2003. I think there...

large email in exchange unable to delete
Hello, I've been looking for a solution, but nothing yet has worked. I have a user on Outlook 2003 who tried to send a 600MB file two days ago. it didn't go through, but she didn't receive a "could not send" notice, it's not in her sent mail folder, and she's now getting size limit warnings. Her local mailbox size doesn't reflect the size of the attachment, but using Exchange System Manager her total size is 600MB higher. Nothing that we have tried on the client has worked to remove the email, including procedures that have been suggested on this newsgroup. D...

Anyone try out SQL 2005 SP2 on their CRM server yet?
Just curious if anyone has updated their CRM server to using the newly issued SP2 for SQL 2005. Any problems? Hiccups? Smoother than SP1 I hope? -- Sketchy Hi!, It seems to work fine. We didnot face any issues till this moment. Keeping fingers crossed.Of course not any issues as there was in SP1. rgds "sketchy" wrote: > Just curious if anyone has updated their CRM server to using the newly issued > SP2 for SQL 2005. Any problems? Hiccups? Smoother than SP1 I hope? > > -- > Sketchy ...

Exchange 5.5 POP3 Connector?
Hi i would like to know if anyone can recommend a good POP3 Connector for Exchange 5.5. Most Connectors work with 2000/2003. I really have a huge problem in that our Exchange Server 5.5 is purely used for internal company email. All have POP3 Accounts that send and receive externally. Because our Exchange 5.5 Server is not on the Internet we have a problem when external sources save our addresses and it shows with a .local extension instead of our POP3 registered .com extension. Is there a way of not having to choose which account whether it is external or internal in Outlook knowing i...

Forwarding rule doesn't work, Outlook 2002 & Exchange 5.5
My company's email is hosted on an Exchange 5.5 server. In my Outlook 2002 (Office XP) client, I have set up a rule to forward all inbound messages to an external email address. This rule is only triggering, however, on internally generated messages such as Outlook meeting invitations or McAfee Groupsheild email alerts. No other messages (internal or from the internet) ar being forwarded. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

Connecting Outlook 2007 to Exchange 2007 through VPN
I have the following setup: MS Exhcange 2007 on the internal network. ISA Server 2006 firewall MS Outlook 2007 on Windows 7 I have access through the VPN - can file share, remote desktop etc. no problem When I try to connect Outlook to my account on the Exchange server from inside, no problem When I try to connect through the VPN, it appears to make a connection, but every time it tries to download mail it loses the connection, it then re-attaches and then tries to download email then loses connection - over and over. I can download Headers, but as soon as I mark an email f...

Recover .pst's from priv.edb on Exchange 5.5
I have an inactive production Exchange Server 5.5, and no development server (we currently outsource our e-mail administration). I would like to extract the data from the priv.edb on the server and create .pst files for each user - including inbox, sent items, deleted items, etc. Can someone tell me how that can be done? I see references to Exmerge.exe, is that the correct tool to use here? Thank you. Yes. Exmerge is the tool that will extract mailboxes and export them to ..pst files. When you download Exmerge, there is a document that comes with it that does a very thorough job o...

Hotmail retrieval in Exchange 2003
I am using web exchange. How do I make it download hotmail? I have installed PopCon for my other pop3 mail Hi Robert, Hotmail only has an http interface and therefore, Exchange 2003 cannot pull down the email from Hotmail. -- Thanks, James Burrage This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm "Robert Rychter" <robertr@ashpoint.com.au> wrote in me...

Exchange 2003 to 2010 transition
Hello, We are upgrading our exchange 2003 organization to 2010. We've already migrated our AD to 2008 R2. I have few questions regarding the transition: 1. We have limited resources and we wish to install all Exchange 2010 features on a single machine. Could that be done and support 300 mailboxes (storage is abundant, 24 GB RAM with 2 XEON quad core CPU's)? 2. How many partition should we create? Server has 2 RAIDS, RAID 1 for OS and a RAID 5, server runs 64 bit Windows 2008. 3. What are the partition sizes and what should they be used for? Thank you in advance. ...

Outlook logs in to email server before starting?
Whenever I start my PC and Windows XP boots up, when it comes to the login screen my account has "x unread messages" displayed next to it. I log in. I then start Outlook. Sure enough, x number of messages are downloaded. Does Outlook, before it's started and in the background, log into the POP server to scan the number of messages that are ready for retrieval? Marts, you wrote on Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:34:39 +1000: > Whenever I start my PC and Windows XP boots up, when it comes to the login > screen my account has "x unread messages" displayed next to it. >...

MSN messenger and Exchange 2003
Hi, Is it possible to use MSN messenger connect to Exchange 2003, so that staffs can talk to each other witin the Exchange 2003 environment ? If it's possible, how exactly can that be done ? I am trying to find some step by step doco but with no luck so far... Is this setup recommended or it's something that better to avoid ? TIA Steven You can do it with Exchange 2000, but microsoft have shifted it to Live communication server fro 2003. Its like an internal msn. "Steven Wong" <sazabi75@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eSL4s6uJGHA.2300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

Setting Default Zoom Level?
Hello, How can I set the default zoom level for all worksheets to a specific size when ever a new sheet is opened? I've tried using this code, but it gives me an error that says "Object variable or With block variable not set" Sub Auto_Open() ActiveWindow.Zoom = 85 End Sub Thanks for any help. Jim Put this in the ThisWorkbook module. Then, even if someone has changed it, each time the sheet is activated the zoom will change. Private Sub Workbook_SheetDeactivate(ByVal Sh As Object) ActiveWindow.Zoom = 85 End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austi...

Upgrading from Exchange 2000 to 2003 on W2K DC
We currently have Exchange 2000 running on a W2K DC with 2.5G RAM. Is it possible/recommended to upgrade to Exchange 2003 without "breaking" anything? Also, if it's a "doable", how hard is it to move mailboxes to a different store? My current E2K is approaching 16G and I'm looking at options to ease the pain. _____________________________________________ Remove "YoMammy" from the address to send mail. Chris <jack_mioff@YO_MAMMYexcite.com> wrote: >We currently have Exchange 2000 running on a W2K DC with 2.5G RAM. Is >it possible/recommended ...

Exchange 2003
I'm using a 2003SBS Premium. Often, when the server receiveis a mail to an "Undisclosed-Recipient" I get the error message that I show below in this text. But this is not the only problem. The biggest problem is that a NDR is sent to the sender of the Undisclosed message... every 15 MINUTES !!!! What kind of bug is this?!?! Error message: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Teste Sent: 14-01-2004 15:31 The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Undisclosed-Recipient em 14-01-2004 15:31 The format of the e-mail addr...

free / busy data in schedule
One of my users was trying to reschedule a meeting, and trying to see when all attendees were available. He opened her meeting, and went to scheduling and all free / busy data was hatched out. When moused over, it said " No free or busy data was retrieved ". When the same users were readded at the bottom of the list, the free / busy data was displayed correctly. We tried to click options and refresh free / busy data, but it did not work. Is there something that will automatically retrieve updated free / busy data? ...

Direct Push with Activesync on Exchange SP2 and Windows Mobile 5.0 MSFP
I have a client with an Exchange server behind a Watchguard Firebox that is having trouble with Direct Push. The wierd thing is that it does work for a period of time after a manual sync, but then seems to time out and not reconnect. We have followed the instructions in KB 905013 to increase the connection time out to 9000 seconds or 15 minutes, but still don't get direct push after a few minutes. We are also not seeing the 3033 event ID errors mentioned. They are running Exchange 2003 SP2 and have Windows Mobile 5 on Treo 700W devices from Verizon with MSFP (some upgraded, some came...

How to set Word as email editor in Outlook 2007
In Outlook 2000, setting Word as the email editor is at Tools | Options | Mail format. That sequence does not work in Outlook 2007. Can someone tell me where they put it? Thanks -- Using Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000 No such option. There is no other editor. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "LurfysMa" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:nop443lkggblrcm5f7sokvbtnla8mh1abo@4ax.com... > In Outlook 2000, setting Word as the email editor is at Tools | > Options | Mail format. > > That sequence does not work in Outlook 2007. Can someone tell me where >...

Porting Security Setting from GP 9.0 to GP 10.
Hi, Many of my customers are in the midst of upgrading to GP 10. One of the biggest hurdles is the security/access setting. How can I convert the security setting from GP 9 to GP 10 in a way that's as painless as possible? Do I have to do it user by user? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Regards, Saras delete it in 9 and migrate then recreate in 10 saved us a lot of misery.. "Saras" wrote: > Hi, > > Many of my customers are in the midst of upgrading to GP 10. One of the > biggest hurdles is the security/access setting. How can I convert...

Exchange 5.5
Hi, I have an Exchange 5.5 server in an NT4 domain. The clients are running Outlook XP. I'm trying to send Calendar requests from this to a seperate Server/Exchange 2003 forest. If I just create a calendar appointment and Invite Attendees from the other forest it only goes through as text, but I've found I can send a Calendar request as an *.ics by clicking "Actions > Forward as iCalendar" which successfully forwards on an appointment that users in the corresponding forest can Accept. What I'd like to know is if it's possible to set the Outlook clients to ...

DPM 2010 Move to a New Server
Can someone direct me to the latest docs on how to backup my current DPM 2010 environment and move it to a new server. DPM 2007 documents will be applicable for DPM 2010 as well unless stated otherwise. How to backup DPM can be found at:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795642.aspx. If you have tape backups encrypted you need to backup the DPM encryption certificates as well, please find more information about the certificates at:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808967.aspx. Here are the help links about how to restore DPM to another machine: Re...

Set up a newsletter with multiple pages in Publisher 2003?
I have a custom design format for a client newsletter - is there a way to set it up as a single document with multiple pages? It goes to a commercial printer. Thanks. -- Later, 'gator - FarSider FarSider <FarSider_1@hotmail.com.(donotspam)> was very recently heard to utter: > I have a custom design format for a client newsletter - is there a > way to set it up as a single document with multiple pages? Yes. Have you tried Insert > Pages? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...