Setting Recipient Limits On Exchange 2003 & Group Lists

I am trying to set a limit to the number of recipients that can be included
in an email address field.  I thought I saw some place where the Recipeint
Limit set under Message Delivery, Global Settings counted each Exchange group
as a single recipient regardless of the number of members in the list.
However, the total number of members in personal distribution lists created
in Outlook was used.

This does not seem to be the way it's working.  I have limited permissions
to send to our various corporate distribution lists, or groups, and set a
Message Delivery Recipient Limit less than the number of members in some of
those groups.  However, when someone with proper group permissions tries to
send to a list that contains more members than the Recipient Limit, the
message gets bounced stating that they are trying to send to more recipients
than allowed.

Am I missing something.  I really don't want to have to deal with managing
special recipient limits at the user level.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Midwest Muskie
0

Distribution Groups are expanded when the message is delivered so DG members
count towards the limit.

Nue
>I am trying to set a limit to the number of recipients that can be included
> in an email address field.  I thought I saw some place where the Recipeint
> Limit set under Message Delivery, Global Settings counted each Exchange
> group
> as a single recipient regardless of the number of members in the list.
> However, the total number of members in personal distribution lists
> created
> in Outlook was used.
>
> This does not seem to be the way it's working.  I have limited permissions
> to send to our various corporate distribution lists, or groups, and set a
> Message Delivery Recipient Limit less than the number of members in some
> of
> those groups.  However, when someone with proper group permissions tries
> send to a list that contains more members than the Recipient Limit, the
> message gets bounced stating that they are trying to send to more
> recipients
> than allowed.
>
> Am I missing something.  I really don't want to have to deal with managing
> special recipient limits at the user level.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> --
> Midwest Muskie

0
imaneophyte (3004)
3/7/2006 10:20:09 PM
On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 13:48:35 -0800, Mike
<Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am trying to set a limit to the number of recipients that can be included
>in an email address field.  I thought I saw some place where the Recipeint
>Limit set under Message Delivery, Global Settings counted each Exchange group
>as a single recipient regardless of the number of members in the list.
>However, the total number of members in personal distribution lists created
>in Outlook was used.

That was true in Exchange 5.5.

>This does not seem to be the way it's working.  I have limited permissions
>to send to our various corporate distribution lists, or groups, and set a
>Message Delivery Recipient Limit less than the number of members in some of
>those groups.  However, when someone with proper group permissions tries to
>send to a list that contains more members than the Recipient Limit, the
>message gets bounced stating that they are trying to send to more recipients
>than allowed.
>

>Am I missing something.  I really don't want to have to deal with managing
>special recipient limits at the user level.

The global settings will look at the total number in the To+Cc+Bcc and
apply/enforce limtis accordingly. You can circumvent this by using
server based DLs the way you could in 5.5

>Any help would be appreciated.
0
adavid (8731)
3/7/2006 11:33:55 PM
On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 18:33:55 -0500, Andy David - MVP
<adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 13:48:35 -0800, Mike
><Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I am trying to set a limit to the number of recipients that can be included
>>in an email address field.  I thought I saw some place where the Recipeint
>>Limit set under Message Delivery, Global Settings counted each Exchange group
>>as a single recipient regardless of the number of members in the list.
>>However, the total number of members in personal distribution lists created
>>in Outlook was used.
>
>That was true in Exchange 5.5.
>>
>>This does not seem to be the way it's working.  I have limited permissions
>>to send to our various corporate distribution lists, or groups, and set a
>>Message Delivery Recipient Limit less than the number of members in some of
>>those groups.  However, when someone with proper group permissions tries to
>>send to a list that contains more members than the Recipient Limit, the
>>message gets bounced stating that they are trying to send to more recipients
>>than allowed.
>>

>>Am I missing something.  I really don't want to have to deal with managing
>>special recipient limits at the user level.
>
>The global settings will look at the total number in the To+Cc+Bcc and
>apply/enforce limtis accordingly. You can circumvent this by using
>server based DLs the way you could in 5.5

"cant" circumvent this.

>>Any help would be appreciated.
0
adavid (8731)
3/7/2006 11:57:05 PM
Any suggestions on the best way to let various people send to large server
based lists and prevent others.  I don't understand why Microsoft moved away
from the 5.5 way server based lists were counted towards recipient numbers
(each list counts as 1), and client based lists being expanded and counted as
the number of members.  It seems so simple to be able to place send
permission limits on the server lists and not worry about how many members
they contain.  To me that's one of the main reasons the send permissions are
available.  One of their primary uses would be to prevent unauthorized users
from sending to large numbers of recipients.

So again, what is the recommended way to allow selected individuals to send
to lists with large memberships, but preventing others.  Is the only way to
change the recipient limit on each mailbox that has permissions to send to
large server based lists??  People with these permissions are constantly
changing!  Could anyone point me to a script that would apply the limit
changes to a list of mailboxes contained in a file?

After making the changes, how am I able to easily tell who has the
non-default recipient limits?

Thanks for the help.

--
Midwest Muskie

"Andy David - MVP" wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 18:33:55 -0500, Andy David - MVP
> <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 13:48:35 -0800, Mike
> ><Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I am trying to set a limit to the number of recipients that can be included
> >>in an email address field.  I thought I saw some place where the Recipeint
> >>Limit set under Message Delivery, Global Settings counted each Exchange group
> >>as a single recipient regardless of the number of members in the list.
> >>However, the total number of members in personal distribution lists created
> >>in Outlook was used.
> >
> >That was true in Exchange 5.5.
> >>
> >>This does not seem to be the way it's working.  I have limited permissions
> >>to send to our various corporate distribution lists, or groups, and set a
> >>Message Delivery Recipient Limit less than the number of members in some of
> >>those groups.  However, when someone with proper group permissions tries to
> >>send to a list that contains more members than the Recipient Limit, the
> >>message gets bounced stating that they are trying to send to more recipients
> >>than allowed.
> >>

> >>Am I missing something.  I really don't want to have to deal with managing
> >>special recipient limits at the user level.
> >
> >The global settings will look at the total number in the To+Cc+Bcc and
> >apply/enforce limtis accordingly. You can circumvent this by using
> >server based DLs the way you could in 5.5
>
> "cant" circumvent this.
>

> >>Any help would be appreciated.

0
Mike1154 (1216)
3/8/2006 12:56:29 PM
Delivery restrictions.

For most "collaborative" groups, make them mail-enabled security groups and
restrict delivery to the group itself.

For "large" groups, create another mail-enabled security group with the
authorized senders and restrict delivery of the "large" group to the
authorized senders group.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

> Any suggestions on the best way to let various people send to large server
> based lists and prevent others.  I don't understand why Microsoft moved
> away
> from the 5.5 way server based lists were counted towards recipient numbers
> (each list counts as 1), and client based lists being expanded and counted
> as
> the number of members.  It seems so simple to be able to place send
> permission limits on the server lists and not worry about how many members
> they contain.  To me that's one of the main reasons the send permissions
> are
> available.  One of their primary uses would be to prevent unauthorized
> users
> from sending to large numbers of recipients.
>
> So again, what is the recommended way to allow selected individuals to
> send
> to lists with large memberships, but preventing others.  Is the only way
> change the recipient limit on each mailbox that has permissions to send to
> large server based lists??  People with these permissions are constantly
> changing!  Could anyone point me to a script that would apply the limit
> changes to a list of mailboxes contained in a file?
>
> After making the changes, how am I able to easily tell who has the
> non-default recipient limits?
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> --
> Midwest Muskie
>

> "Andy David - MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 18:33:55 -0500, Andy David - MVP
>> <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:

>> >That was true in Exchange 5.5.

>> >The global settings will look at the total number in the To+Cc+Bcc and
>> >apply/enforce limtis accordingly. You can circumvent this by using
>> >server based DLs the way you could in 5.5
>>
>> "cant" circumvent this.

0
curspice6401 (3487)
3/9/2006 1:19:50 AM
Maybe I'm not understanding something, but if I want to impose global
recipient limits won't I still have to make sure that each individual member
of the authorized senders group has recipient limits set to over-ride the
global limits?  I haven't found a way to set recipient limits to a group that
affects the settings of all of the group members.  As soon as anyone sends
trys to send to the large group, their message will get bounced unless their
individual recipient limits setting allows it, correct?

--
Midwest Muskie

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> Delivery restrictions.
>
> For most "collaborative" groups, make them mail-enabled security groups and
> restrict delivery to the group itself.
>
> For "large" groups, create another mail-enabled security group with the
> authorized senders and restrict delivery of the "large" group to the
> authorized senders group.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Any suggestions on the best way to let various people send to large server
> > based lists and prevent others.  I don't understand why Microsoft moved
> > away
> > from the 5.5 way server based lists were counted towards recipient numbers
> > (each list counts as 1), and client based lists being expanded and counted
> > as
> > the number of members.  It seems so simple to be able to place send
> > permission limits on the server lists and not worry about how many members
> > they contain.  To me that's one of the main reasons the send permissions
> > are
> > available.  One of their primary uses would be to prevent unauthorized
> > users
> > from sending to large numbers of recipients.
> >
> > So again, what is the recommended way to allow selected individuals to
> > send
> > to lists with large memberships, but preventing others.  Is the only way
> > change the recipient limit on each mailbox that has permissions to send to
> > large server based lists??  People with these permissions are constantly
> > changing!  Could anyone point me to a script that would apply the limit
> > changes to a list of mailboxes contained in a file?
> >
> > After making the changes, how am I able to easily tell who has the
> > non-default recipient limits?
> >
> > Thanks for the help.
> >
> > --
> > Midwest Muskie
> >

> > "Andy David - MVP" wrote:

> >> "cant" circumvent this.

0
Muskie (3)
3/9/2006 1:09:27 PM
What is it you're really trying to achieve?
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Midwest Muskie" <Midwest Muskie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > they contain.  To me that's one of the main reasons the send
>> > permissions
>> > are
>> > available.  One of their primary uses would be to prevent unauthorized
>> > users
>> > from sending to large numbers of recipients.
>> >
>> > So again, what is the recommended way to allow selected individuals to
>> > send
>> > to lists with large memberships, but preventing others.  Is the only
>> > way
>> > change the recipient limit on each mailbox that has permissions to send
>> > large server based lists??  People with these permissions are
>> > constantly
>> > changing!  Could anyone point me to a script that would apply the limit
>> > changes to a list of mailboxes contained in a file?
>> >
>> > After making the changes, how am I able to easily tell who has the

3/9/2006 10:51:22 PM
I want to be able to set global recipient limits (say 25) and use
distribution lists that contain more members than the global recipient limits
(say 250).  The lists will be configured to accept messages from only
selected people.  Those people will vary from list to list, but there could
be hundreds of people.  I would like to allow those people to send to the
lists that contain more members than allowed by the global recipient limit
without having to configure the recipient limit setting at the necessary
value (say 250) for each person with permissions to send to the list.
Exchange 5.5 counted the list with 250 members as 1 instead of 250 like 2003
does.  With 5.5 I didn't have to worry about the individual settings because
as long as the total number of lists and individual addresses was less than
the global recipient limit the message was sent.  I didn't have to worry
about everyone sending to the large lists because only those that needed to
were given permissions to do so.

I appreciate your patience in working with me on this.

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> What is it you're really trying to achieve?
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Midwest Muskie" <Midwest Muskie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Maybe I'm not understanding something, but if I want to impose global
> > recipient limits won't I still have to make sure that each individual
> > member
> > of the authorized senders group has recipient limits set to over-ride the
> > global limits?  I haven't found a way to set recipient limits to a group
> > that
> > affects the settings of all of the group members.  As soon as anyone sends
> > trys to send to the large group, their message will get bounced unless
> > their
> > individual recipient limits setting allows it, correct?
> >

> > --
> > Midwest Muskie
> >

> > "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Delivery restrictions.
> >>
> >> For most "collaborative" groups, make them mail-enabled security groups
> >> and
> >> restrict delivery to the group itself.
> >>
> >> For "large" groups, create another mail-enabled security group with the
> >> authorized senders and restrict delivery of the "large" group to the
> >> authorized senders group.
> >> --
> >> Ed Crowley
> >> MVP - Exchange
> >> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >>
> >> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

That would work in Exchange 5.5 but not Exchange 200x because of the way
groups are expanded.  Before a group counted as one recipient, now each
group member counts as a recipient.  The only way around this would be to
have a list server that runs outside Exchange, as long as it'll send a
separate message to each recipient or some such.
--

>I want to be able to set global recipient limits (say 25) and use
> distribution lists that contain more members than the global recipient
> limits
> (say 250).  The lists will be configured to accept messages from only
> selected people.  Those people will vary from list to list, but there
> could
> be hundreds of people.  I would like to allow those people to send to the
> lists that contain more members than allowed by the global recipient limit
> without having to configure the recipient limit setting at the necessary
> value (say 250) for each person with permissions to send to the list.
> Exchange 5.5 counted the list with 250 members as 1 instead of 250 like
> 2003
> does.  With 5.5 I didn't have to worry about the individual settings
> because
> as long as the total number of lists and individual addresses was less
> than
> the global recipient limit the message was sent.  I didn't have to worry
> about everyone sending to the large lists because only those that needed
> were given permissions to do so.
>
> I appreciate your patience in working with me on this.
>
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> What is it you're really trying to achieve?
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "Midwest Muskie" <Midwest Muskie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Maybe I'm not understanding something, but if I want to impose global
>> > recipient limits won't I still have to make sure that each individual
>> > member
>> > of the authorized senders group has recipient limits set to over-ride
>> > the
>> > global limits?  I haven't found a way to set recipient limits to a
>> > group
>> > that
>> > affects the settings of all of the group members.  As soon as anyone
>> > sends
>> > trys to send to the large group, their message will get bounced unless
>> > their
>> > individual recipient limits setting allows it, correct?
>> >

>> > --
>> > Midwest Muskie

0
curspice6401 (3487)

Steps in Exchange 2000 to change domain name?
We have an existing domain name (company.com). We have decided to change our name to newcompany.com. Right now the users are user@company.com and we want it to be user@newcompany.com. What do I need to do to change that in Exchange? I have made the necessary DNS changes (or so I believe). Thank you!!! Douglas Just add newcompany.com to your recipient policy & make it the default...best not to remove your existing company.com addresses as it may help during the transition to let users receive mail for both addresses. See http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF010.html for help. ; ...

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

Reporting from Project Server

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Setting a dynamic range in a formula

contact list #13

how to find an item in a list control?

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

Contacts in Exchange #2

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Users ability to Manage Groups

Are Exchange 2003 OWA Backups necessary

Viewing group calendars in CRM

SBS 2003 RWW & Windows 7 64 bit

Actions to groups of tasks
Is there any way, or am I missing the obvious, to deal with multiple tasks in ones queue or list. As an example, I have a new release of my product, 1 task is to prepare the packages and 1 task is to ship them. If I have 100 customers, can I mass mark the tasks as finished or will have to open 200 dialogs and mark completed when the job is done? The only thing that I seem to be able to do to multiple tasks is delete them? Anyone? Jim Ball jball@XXXaccu-med.com remove the XXX to send an email you may be able to do this with a sql data update or create a solution in code to do thi...

Terminal Server and GP Settings
Not being a Windows Terminal Server expert by any definition, I have a question for somebody who is. When wanting to have a user profile to store individual dex.ini files, my understanding is that each user would have his own Windows folder under their user folder. Additionally, if you typed SET at a command prompt, the settings for WINDIR would point to that user-specific Windows folder. Is this thinking correct? -- Charles Allen, MVP I think you also have to make certain that the dex.ini does NOT exist in the program install location for GP or it will still look to that. Dwight...