Set email address to default to different server

Hi everyone.

We're setting up a Zimbra mail server for testing a couple of
mailboxes. Migrating the mailbox contents was easy enough.
But is it possible to tell exchange that particular email addresses/
accounts live on a different server?
For example user2@domain.com is migrated to Zimbra but
user1@domain.com still lives on our SBS 2003.
So if user1@domain.com sends an e-mail to user2@domain.com then it
gets relayed to the Zimbra server and not just bounced back to user1
since user2@ no longer exists in the Exchange configuration.

Is that possible?

Cheers, B
0
batfastad

Hello:

Yes, that should be possible and is not uncommon. See
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-SMTP-Namespace-Sharing.html
to get started.

--
Regards,
MCTS, MCSA

"batfastad" <batfastad@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi everyone.
>
> We're setting up a Zimbra mail server for testing a couple of
> mailboxes. Migrating the mailbox contents was easy enough.
> But is it possible to tell exchange that particular email addresses/
> accounts live on a different server?
> For example user2@domain.com is migrated to Zimbra but
> user1@domain.com still lives on our SBS 2003.
> So if user1@domain.com sends an e-mail to user2@domain.com then it
> gets relayed to the Zimbra server and not just bounced back to user1
> since user2@ no longer exists in the Exchange configuration.
>
> Is that possible?
>
> Cheers, B

That's excellent. Just what I was looking for.

However the option:
"This exchange organisation is responsible for all mail delivery to
this address"
In our default recipient policy is checked but greyed out.

For me to split the namespace I believe that I need to somehow set
that to un-checked

We have only 1 recipient policy, "Default policy"
This contains 2 entries in the "E-mail Addresses (Policy)" tab... SMTP
@ourdomain.com and an X400 for OURDOMAIN

Is there a way to un-grey out that option and therefore untick it?

I'm guessing it's because it's the only E-mail Address policy we have.
We're on SBS 2003 if that helps.

Any ideas?

Cheers, B

On Feb 18, 12:54=A0am, "M" <m...@n.com> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Yes, that should be possible and is not uncommon. Seehttp://www.msexchang=
e.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-SMTP-Namespace-Shar...
> to get started.
>
> --
> Regards,
> MCTS, MCSA
>
> "batfastad" <batfas...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Hi everyone.
>
> > We're setting up a Zimbra mail server for testing a couple of
> > mailboxes. Migrating the mailbox contents was easy enough.
> > But is it possible to tell exchange that particular email addresses/
> > accounts live on a different server?
> > For example us...@domain.com is migrated to Zimbra but
> > us...@domain.com still lives on our SBS 2003.
> > So if us...@domain.com sends an e-mail to us...@domain.com then it
> > gets relayed to the Zimbra server and not just bounced back to user1
> > since user2@ no longer exists in the Exchange configuration.
>
> > Is that possible?
>
> > Cheers, B- Hide quoted text -

batfastad
2/18/2010 8:46:12 AM
IIRC, since it's the default policy, that option is enabled and cannot be
disabled. The solution to get around that is in the article under the
section labled "Another solution."

--

On Feb 18, 12:54 am, "M" <m...@n.com> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Yes, that should be possible and is not uncommon.
> Seehttp://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-SMTP-Namespace-Shar...
> to get started.
>
> --
> Regards,
> MCTS, MCSA
>
> "batfastad" <batfas...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Hi everyone.
>
> > We're setting up a Zimbra mail server for testing a couple of
> > mailboxes. Migrating the mailbox contents was easy enough.
> > But is it possible to tell exchange that particular email addresses/
> > accounts live on a different server?
> > For example us...@domain.com is migrated to Zimbra but
> > us...@domain.com still lives on our SBS 2003.
> > So if us...@domain.com sends an e-mail to us...@domain.com then it
> > gets relayed to the Zimbra server and not just bounced back to user1
> > since user2@ no longer exists in the Exchange configuration.
>
> > Is that possible?
>
> > Cheers, B- Hide quoted text -

Yeah I have actually created an additional Recipient Policy for the
shared address space
Then created a second SMTP connector with my shared address space
.... pretty much followed these steps exactly in Method 1
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321721

We now have 3 Recipient policies:
"Default policy" with priority lowest and @example.local as the SMTP
email address
"Split Namespace" with priority 2 and @ourdomain.com as the SMTP email
address with "Responsible for all mail delivery for this address"
unchecked.
(and a mailbox manager policy which deletes email older than 500 days
with priority 1)

We now have 2 SMTP connectors:
"Small Business SMTP connector": Has * as an address space with a cost
of 10, and our ISPs server as smart host
"Split Namespace SMTP connector": Has ourdomain.com as an address
space with a cost of 1, and the smart host set as our new email
system, and is allowed to relay for that domains

However I still get a bounce message from Exchange when I send email
to an address which exists on the new server...
"The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message
was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient
directly to find out the correct address."

I've tried restarting the MS Exchange Routing Engine and SMTP services
but with no luck... I'm convinced I've got it set correctly according
to that KB article.
Is there any other services I need to restart, or do I need to wait
5-10 minutes for this to take effect before testing?

It seems like my new SMTP connector is ignored even though the cost is
lower.

Any ideas?

Cheers, B

On Feb 19, 12:14=A0am, "M" <m...@n.com> wrote:
> IIRC, since it's the default policy, that option is enabled and cannot be
> disabled. The solution to get around that is in the article under the
> section labled "Another solution."
>
> --
> Regards,
> MCTS, MCSA
>
> "batfastad" <batfas...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> That's excellent. Just what I was looking for.
>
> However the option:
> "This exchange organisation is responsible for all mail delivery to
> this address"
> In our default recipient policy is checked but greyed out.
>
> For me to split the namespace I believe that I need to somehow set
> that to un-checked
>
> We have only 1 recipient policy, "Default policy"
> This contains 2 entries in the "E-mail Addresses (Policy)" tab... SMTP
> @ourdomain.com and an X400 for OURDOMAIN
>
> Is there a way to un-grey out that option and therefore untick it?
>
> I'm guessing it's because it's the only E-mail Address policy we have.
> We're on SBS 2003 if that helps.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Cheers, B
>
> On Feb 18, 12:54 am, "M" <m...@n.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello:
>
> > Yes, that should be possible and is not uncommon.
> > Seehttp://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-SMTP-Namespace-Sha=
r...
> > to get started.
>
> > --
> > Regards,
> > MCTS, MCSA
>
> > "batfastad" <batfas...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> > > Hi everyone.
>
> > > We're setting up a Zimbra mail server for testing a couple of
> > > mailboxes. Migrating the mailbox contents was easy enough.
> > > But is it possible to tell exchange that particular email addresses/
> > > accounts live on a different server?
> > > For example us...@domain.com is migrated to Zimbra but
> > > us...@domain.com still lives on our SBS 2003.
> > > So if us...@domain.com sends an e-mail to us...@domain.com then it
> > > gets relayed to the Zimbra server and not just bounced back to user1
> > > since user2@ no longer exists in the Exchange configuration.
>
> > > Is that possible?
>
> > > Cheers, B- Hide quoted text -

batfastad
2/19/2010 9:17:00 AM
I'm really sorry for bumping this, but anyone got anything I can try
to debug what might be going on here?
It seems like our server is still acting as authoritative for this
domain even though from my understanding, it shouldn't be.
It's like my new SMTP connector for the split address space is not
getting used

Any ideas?

Cheers, B

On Feb 19, 9:17=A0am, batfastad <batfas...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > However the option:
> > "This exchange organisation is responsible for all mail delivery to
> > this address"
> > In our default recipient policy is checked but greyed out.
>
> > For me to split the namespace I believe that I need to somehow set
> > that to un-checked
>
> > We have only 1 recipient policy, "Default policy"
> > This contains 2 entries in the "E-mail Addresses (Policy)" tab... SMTP
> > @ourdomain.com and an X400 for OURDOMAIN
>
> > Is there a way to un-grey out that option and therefore untick it?
>
> > I'm guessing it's because it's the only E-mail Address policy we have.
> > We're on SBS 2003 if that helps.
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> > Cheers, B
>
> > On Feb 18, 12:54 am, "M" <m...@n.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hello:
>
> > > Yes, that should be possible and is not uncommon.

batfastad
2/22/2010 10:04:12 PM
The way you've set this up sounds right to me so I must recommend that you
open a support ticket with Microsoft.

Actually, I prefer to do things a little differently than you have.  I would
prefer to give all your Zimbra mail users an additional e-mail address like
someone@zimbra.ourdomain.com, and creating mail-enabled contacts for all
Zimbra users.  That way, everyone is in your directory and their target mail
server is always clear.  That might fix your problem as well.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

On Feb 19, 9:17 am, batfastad <batfas...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > However the option:
> > "This exchange organisation is responsible for all mail delivery to
> > this address"
> > In our default recipient policy is checked but greyed out.
>
> > For me to split the namespace I believe that I need to somehow set
> > that to un-checked
>
> > We have only 1 recipient policy, "Default policy"
> > This contains 2 entries in the "E-mail Addresses (Policy)" tab... SMTP
> > @ourdomain.com and an X400 for OURDOMAIN
>
> > Is there a way to un-grey out that option and therefore untick it?
>
> > I'm guessing it's because it's the only E-mail Address policy we have.
> > We're on SBS 2003 if that helps.
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> > Cheers, B
>
> > On Feb 18, 12:54 am, "M" <m...@n.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hello:
>
> > > Yes, that should be possible and is not uncommon.

Ed
2/23/2010 12:05:11 AM
Hi Ed

Finally I've got this sorted. I took your advice and set up an
additional sub-domain on the Zimbra server.
Changed my smart host setting so all mail gets routed through the
Zimbra box (which then gets routed to our external smart host anyway)
Then created mail-enabled contacts in Exchange with email addresses of
that subdomain.
Then just change the delivery options for a user to deliver to the
contact address

Seems to be working perfectly so far
Bit of a kludge but shouldn't need it for too much longer!

Thanks for the help - hope this helps someone else out

Cheers, B

On Feb 23, 12:05=A0am, "Ed Crowley [MVP]" <cursp...@nospam.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > > section labled "Another solution."
>
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > > MCTS, MCSA
>
> > > "batfastad" <batfas...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> > > That's excellent. Just what I was looking for.
>
> > > However the option:
> > > "This exchange organisation is responsible for all mail delivery to
> > > this address"
> > > In our default recipient policy is checked but greyed out.
>
> > > For me to split the namespace I believe that I need to somehow set
> > > that to un-checked
>
> > > We have only 1 recipient policy, "Default policy"
> > > This contains 2 entries in the "E-mail Addresses (Policy)" tab... SMT=
> > > @ourdomain.com and an X400 for OURDOMAIN
>
> > > Is there a way to un-grey out that option and therefore untick it?
>
> > > I'm guessing it's because it's the only E-mail Address policy we have=

batfastad

Paragraph formating jumps to defaults.
Hi, We are using Office/Outlook 2007 We have an email signature script that is run when users login, it´s working ok except for two things; If the default paragraph settings in Word 2007 for a user matches those in the signature script, the signature will use the "Base defaults" of Word 2007, that is SpaceAfter = 10 and LineSpacing = "Multiple" with a value of 1,15. So if I change the script to use SpaceAfter=0 and the user has set his/her Word 2007 to use SpaceAfter=0, the result will be SpaceAfter=10. If the script is set to SpaceAfter=0 and the us...

Emails #8
i am recieving my emails ten minutes after everyone else in the company and it is started to effect urgent matters, i havegone into outlok tools to see if i could change anything but that doesnt seem to have worked, can someone please help What version of Outlook are you using? If Outlook 2003 do you have the Junk Mail filter turned on? Is this an Exchange Environment? If so, what version. "Kim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:fb2901c43e6f$d095b2a0$a501280a@phx.gbl... >i am recieving my emails ten minutes after everyone else > in the co...

Retrieve Lost Email

SBS 2003 and Email Not Receiving

can't send or receive emails

multiple email identities

Monitor Server in 2003?

Outlook 2007 addresses
How can I find the list of addresses I have sent emails to? When you start a new email you can put a letter in the To line and list will come up. Where is that list? How can I print it out? Thanks Matt that is the autocomplete cache. You would need a utility to print it out. http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20040621.htm http://www.slipstick.com/problems/nicknamecache.asp -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Out...

Re: teach me how to send friends email

Outlook Mail via a PROXY SERVER?
If I am using a shared Internet service on a second computer using a PROXY server on the host (first) computer. I can access the net using the PROXY settings on the Internet explorer. However, how do I download mail with OUTLOOK 2000? The proxy server is CCPROXY from YoungZSoft (this runs on XP) and it has the MAIL Settings enabled but the difficulty is what to do on the Second computer? Thanks, -- John jrg_REM_SPAM@bigpond.net.au That would be determined by the proxy manufacturer - check with their support. JM7 wrote: > If I am using a shared Internet service on a second computer ...

Importing AOL Email File Cabinet

no access to send internet email

Excel 2007 Run Remote/Server/Network/Shared Macro From Custom Butt
In Excel 2003 this was straightforward: add the add-in regarless of location and assign it to a button. I have tried several things in 2007 without success. I've followed the usual links (including to Rondebruin and the others!), local add-ins running remote add-ins, abused my keyboard, kicked some furniture, etc... Still I haven't found a solution. I'm sure the solution isn't as easy as in 2003 but if anyone knows it I would appreciate some advice/directions. Thanks, SQLServant ...

delays in recieving outside emails

Email Statements from Collection Module

Outlook set up
In MS Outlook 2002: When I send an email, it has my email address in the from field. People receiving it cant tell it is from me, and it gets deleted. How can I make MY NAME appear in that from field instead of my email address? On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:17:36 -0800, "etata" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In MS Outlook 2002: When I send an email, it has my email >address in the from field. People receiving it cant tell >it is from me, and it gets deleted. How can I make MY >NAME appear in that from field instead of my email address? Just a...

set print area #2

fiscal year setting question
hi. i know that the fiscal year settings get more or less set in stone, so i had a quick question before i set it for my org. in the template field, what is that used for? if i select 'quarterly', does that mean i can only run reports on a quarter basis? what if i wanted to do monthly reports? ultimately, my question is what is the 'template' field used for? thanks! Hi Jeff, Fiscal year setting must be aligned to your company's accountig policy. Fiscal year setting primarily defines sales quotas. When you set quarterly periods, you can set quarterly quotas for mem...